American Volleyball Associaton - Los Angeles

Sport

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quasar Los Angeles.

Kway-zar. So I've always found Los Angeles to be one of the harder cities to name a team for so I decided I would go a little out there (PUN IN-TEN-DEDDDDDDD!!!!!!) on this one. A quasar is an active galactic nucleus of very high luminosity that emits a ton of energy. Basically it's a blackhole surrounded by orbiting gas, which gives it that shape. LA is known for its stars, Griffith Observatory, etc etc. LA and southern California are also known for being the center of the volleyball galaxy, a school from Southern California won the men's indoor volleyball championship for the first 24 years it was awarded, most often playing another school from the region in the title match. With quasars being the very bright center of a distant galaxy and the volleyball epicenter being in Los Angeles it made sense to marry the two. I wanted to name the team Quasar LA because I like how the Celtic Football Club is know simply as "Celtic". Quasar fans will say "I got tickets to Quasar tonight!" and so on and so forth. I just thought it sounded cool and in the interest of keeping this project fresh was different than CITY NAME TEAM NAME structure. 

JLmCLCe.png

4SQoYRm.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

On Quasar, if you swap the gold with orange, you could re-purpose it as a Frankfurt Galaxy concept.

In all seriousness though, I do like the team's primary colors tying the team in with the Lakers.

Does Quasar share the Staples Center with the Lakers and Kings, or do they have another venue to host home games? Maybe the Pauley Pavilion on the UCLA campus?

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Quasar Los Angeles.

Kway-zar. So I've always found Los Angeles to be one of the harder cities to name a team for so I decided I would go a little out there (PUN IN-TEN-DEDDDDDDD!!!!!!) on this one. A quasar is an active galactic nucleus of very high luminosity that emits a ton of energy. Basically it's a blackhole surrounded by orbiting gas, which gives it that shape. LA is known for its stars, Griffith Observatory, etc etc. LA and southern California are also known for being the center of the volleyball galaxy, a school from Southern California won the men's indoor volleyball championship for the first 24 years it was awarded, most often playing another school from the region in the title match. With quasars being the very bright center of a distant galaxy and the volleyball epicenter being in Los Angeles it made sense to marry the two. I wanted to name the team Quasar LA because I like how the Celtic Football Club is know simply as "Celtic". Quasar fans will say "I got tickets to Quasar tonight!" and so on and so forth. I just thought it sounded cool and in the interest of keeping this project fresh was different than CITY NAME TEAM NAME structure. 

JLmCLCe.png

4SQoYRm.png

On the one hand I see this and see many similarities between the swirl in the marks to teams dubbed the "Hurricanes."

On the other hand, I think the shield would be better rendered with a black interior, to more clearly depict space, using the purple in some other manner (perhaps as an accent color).

On the third hand, I'm wondering how the hell I grew a third hand...

nav-logo.png

Big fan of the name, primary, and bottom right secondary. Once again, I'm not sure if you need the volleyball, but I don't have any suggestions as to how to emphasize this is a volleyball team and not a basketball/handball/esports team or whatever. 

Any particular reason the stars in the primary are different than those in the secondary? I prefer the primary more.

The LA in the secondary gets lost a little bit, especially on a purple background. 

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 7 months later...

Archived