American Volleyball Associaton - Los Angeles

Sport

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2018 at 1:31 PM, McCarthy said:

vGUyUq6.png

I think the illustration itself is fantastic, but it seems more of a "bobcat" than a "tiger" to me.

I picture tigers having more rounded ears than pointed, and the "facial fur" (are they still called "manes" on tigers?) not curving downward quite as much. 

bengal-tiger-why-matter_7341043.jpg?1345548942 vs. bobcat2.jpg

It's a secondary critique (i.e., creative license as this is your project), but I don't really associate tigers with Mexico. (Didn't stop these guys.) I also don't firmly believe you have to have a direct association with native fauna - the whole "how many Lions are there in Detroit?" question again. Completely up to you. I think you could do a lot with a member of the Felidae family native to Mexico (jaguar, ocelot, cougar?) and tie in some Aztec or other Mesoamerican imagery - but again, that's totally your call. It might be a little overdone, but it's also the first thing I associate with "felines" and "Mexico." You also might be able to tie in the "Mesoamerican ballgame," sometimes called "ulama" - not exactly volleyball, but some similarities.

That said - I'm really enjoying this project. Haven't commented yet, mainly because I think everything so far has been pretty great. One suggestion, if you're looking for interesting places to put teams - maybe consider Puerto Rico? Volleyball is big there, and even during my time announcing D2 volleyball in South Carolina, there was more than a smattering of Puerto Rican players and referees.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

3 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I think the illustration itself is fantastic, but it seems more of a "bobcat" than a "tiger" to me.

I picture tigers having more rounded ears than pointed, and the "facial fur" (are they still called "manes" on tigers?) not curving downward quite as much. 

bengal-tiger-why-matter_7341043.jpg?1345548942 vs. bobcat2.jpg

It's a secondary critique (i.e., creative license as this is your project), but I don't really associate tigers with Mexico. (Didn't stop these guys.) I also don't firmly believe you have to have a direct association with native fauna - the whole "how many Lions are there in Detroit?" question again. Completely up to you. I think you could do a lot with a member of the Felidae family native to Mexico (jaguar, ocelot, cougar?) and tie in some Aztec or other Mesoamerican imagery - but again, that's totally your call. It might be a little overdone, but it's also the first thing I associate with "felines" and "Mexico." You also might be able to tie in the "Mesoamerican ballgame," sometimes called "ulama" - not exactly volleyball, but some similarities.

That said - I'm really enjoying this project. Haven't commented yet, mainly because I think everything so far has been pretty great. One suggestion, if you're looking for interesting places to put teams - maybe consider Puerto Rico? Volleyball is big there, and even during my time announcing D2 volleyball in South Carolina, there was more than a smattering of Puerto Rican players and referees.

Good eye and good feedback.  A big part of the construction of the head was borrowed from my Ohio University Bobcats concept (https://dribbble.com/shots/4211822-Ohio-University-Concept-2) and I thought I could sneak a pointy-eared Tiger by the community. Nice call. Updating the ears now. Will have that done soon to show when it's ready. 

Honestly, THE reason I used a tiger for Mexico was because I wanted to use "Tigres". I thought about Jaguars, but jaguars in Spanish is Jaguares and I didn't think it sounded as cool. It was that simple. 

I'll definitely think about Puerto Rico. That's the kind of thing I like to hear.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

I thought I might've been onto something with the "bobcat," with you being an Ohio guy. Rounded ears looks great. After looking at a gazillion pictures of tigers, I'll rescind my comment about the mane pointing down - apparently some tigers have long facial fur like that. 

Also forgot to mention that I really like that tiger tail M. My favorite bookmark as a kid was this free one from school that was just Tony the Tiger's tail. I thought it was funny and used it for years.

One more small nitpick - since you're presenting the team name in Spanish, an accent mark belongs over the "e" in "México."

13313465171.jpg

izbMou1.png

P37hS2c.png

Seattle Spikers. One thing I liked about living in Queen Anne neighborhood of Seattle was the space needle was always visible from pretty much anywhere. You'd see it peaking over the tops of buildings and that's very true of where they play at Key Arena, which is tucked right underneath the Space Needle. I know it's somewhat generic for Seattle, but I felt like I couldn't do the concept without including it. Also used the requisite bright green and blue. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Seattle might be the best yet in the series. If you would have told me "My Seattle team is going to be bright green and blue and feature the Space Needle," I probably would've said "yawn, another one?" - but this manages to feel fresh despite including what might be considered cliche Seattle components.

Are the lines on the volleyball supposed to look like, well, spikes? If so, cool touch.

Is the striping on the uniforms derived from airplane condensation trails? If so, really cool touch.

Thank you! The ball spikes were a happy accident and I didn't even think of that until you mentioned it. Was just trying to do something different instead of using the same ball over and over. I MEAN YES I TOTALLY DID THAT ON PURPOSE. 

The streaks on the uniforms were meant to evoke aviation in some way. I was thinking flight paths on a radar, but condensation trails works too. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 2/13/2018 at 4:52 PM, McCarthy said:

izbMou1.png

P37hS2c.png

Seattle Spikers. One thing I liked about living in Queen Anne neighborhood of Seattle was the space needle was always visible from pretty much anywhere. You'd see it peaking over the tops of buildings and that's very true of where they play at Key Arena, which is tucked right underneath the Space Needle. I know it's somewhat generic for Seattle, but I felt like I couldn't do the concept without including it. Also used the requisite bright green and blue. 

I love the set, but i wonder if the net in the background (for the secondary) could be symmetrical. It distracts from the rest of the logo and creates unnecessary movement.

tinysig.jpg

On 2/6/2018 at 6:05 PM, McCarthy said:

Voleibol Miami 

For the Miami squad I went off-book. Their name is Voleibol Miami, their colors are teal, pink/fuschia, and black. Their logo is an abstract representation of a sunset over the water and, if you squint your eyes, an abstract volleyball as well. 

BTMyAqS.png

In standard Miami fashion most of the time they'll dress in all white. The vertical sash and dual stripe was inspired by the Miami Floridians of the ABA

65ZUMzv.png

and the playing surface. 

Zro4oBS.png

I love what you did with this.  The only suggestion I'dve made would be to figure out a way to vertically stack the "VM" rather than do it horizontally.  That and maybe having a flamingo mascot.  :D

58 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

ZoXwqjP.png

NMYPxgC.png

The Brooklyn Knights are named for what I felt like the Nets could've done when they moved to Brooklyn, a play on the word "Brooklynite". 

The primary needs an accent color to make it pop, but you're right about the name:  the NBA should've used it when the Nets moved.

Alternately, I always thought a Los Angeles-based team could get some mileage out of calling themselves the "Hollywood Knights."

nav-logo.png

2 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

I love what you did with this.  The only suggestion I'dve made would be to figure out a way to vertically stack the "VM" rather than do it horizontally.  That and maybe having a flamingo mascot.  :D

The primary needs an accent color to make it pop, but you're right about the name:  the NBA should've used it when the Nets moved.

Alternately, I always thought a Los Angeles-based team could get some mileage out of calling themselves the "Hollywood Knights."

I disagree, the Knights primary is great the way it is. 

Sometimes less is better.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:48 PM, Mac the Knife said:

I think that rather than an accent color, maybe a brighter, richer shade of gold?

Brooklyn: love the name and the secondary. Not sold on the primary.

Is that the Barclays Center font? If so, it makes sense, but it looks a little too "clean." The volleyball also kinda looks like an afterthought.

s-l1600.jpg

aiga_shaw_helvetica_1_2.jpg

There's a lot of mainly transportation-related typography (that isn't Helvetica) that just screams "Brooklyn" (or at least NYC) to me, but their age and imperfections don't fit with the clean, modern look of the knight. I'm at a loss for what suggestions there are to bring those together.

Archived