Houston Texans : NFL by honeybadger

honeybadger

Watching the NFL playoffs over the past few weeks has put me in the creative mood, making me want to try my hands at bringing some uniform ideas to life. I'll be starting with the Jaguars and Browns.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jacksonville Jaguars have all the right pieces to make a great identity ( unique color scheme, great logos, iconic looks in the past ), but have managed to botch it with the horrible helmets and a uniform design that is a bit too much cutting-edge. That being said, here is my take on their uniforms. 

25243920317_5e0d4e4243_k.jpg

39216975825_9099221155_k.jpg

I've also slightly tweaked their logo, making the eye white and increasing the size of the pupil.

26242494798_375f22aa0c_b.jpg

Cleveland Browns

Cleveland Browns are a team that has been around forever, but has never developed an identity they can call their own. They've shared their look with a team in their state and have a basic helmet as a logo. They desperately need to adapt something unique. It seems like their identity is no identity at all. I like the idea of keeping things traditional while at the same time making a look unique to them. Here is what I envisioned.

28335454109_3947f153c9_k.jpg

25244174827_3340474171_k.jpg

25244119127_1a93040ab1_k.jpg

Love the browns, but im not feeling the Jags uniforms. The shade of teal is different than the one they have now, and I personally think that that shade they have now fits with the black tons more. Possibly make the striping just a tad more modern to fit the numbers. Also matte black all the way for the helmets lol. I honestly love the browns concept though, fits their identity perfectly while introducing new and refreshing ideas.

The Browns' look is dope, love how you switched it up without making it too out-there. My only suggestion would be to see what it looks like without the shoulder stripes, and add a brown or orange yoke to the away threads. If you do keep the stripes, I would try to match the pant stripes to them. 

The Jags look great, if they just switched to this over these for next year I wouldn't be mad at all. I would just say match the striping and the socks, and I always thought they would look better with an all matte-gold helmet instead of an all-black one, so I would try and see what those look like. 

This is a great look for the Jags. I really like your jaguar head logo, although I'm still conflicted on how the current cat look is more of an artwork/ drawing than a logo. It may be nostalgia, but I'm always drawn to the 1995-6 logo that blended into the helmet- it seems more like a logo to me. 

I... just don't know what to do with the Browns. I think it is doing what you are going for, but it's hard to pin down what their identity should be, as they have no logo other than a helmet, as you said. 

There's a lot of questions and critiques so I'll try explaining my thoughts behind the concepts a bit better.

Jaguars: I like both their current and original colors, but feel like the original colors are more suited for a traditional design. I had started designing the uniform with their current colors in mind , however I found the old colors were a much better fit for this particular design. The helmet is supposed to be extra glossy, and i didn't use gold as I thought it was too aggresive for my taste. The modern font is also something that really brought this uniform a step forward, as a basic traditional font that I was originally planing on using made the uniforms look a bit too bland.

Browns: The color balance was really tricky to figure out ( especially with the pants stripe) and this was what I ended up with after countless variations. The white uniforms are lacking the yoke because it overpowered the white too much. It didn't look like a white uniform anymore, instead it looked more like a colored uniform that just so happened to have some white on it. I've made this design about 3 years ago and wanted to come back to it and try to improve it for quite some time now, but in the end I concluded that this was as good as I could make them look without having to use three different pairs of same colored pants with just slight changes in the striping.

I really like the approach with the Jags colors and striping. Keep it simple! I think I'm still hung up on the detail of their current logo, particularly the spots. I realize this isn't your issue but I much prefer their previous logo that's been drawn simpler with less detail, although with updated coloring. Nice work!

jacksonvillelogo-jpg.165204

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons are long overdue for a visual refresh. They are still holding on to the busy, outdated look of the early 2000's that no longer looks good. They've had a lot of solid looks in their past, and that is where i have drawn the inspiration for this concept. I've tried my hand at updating their original logo, as it is a cool logo but feels a bit too dull for today's standards. My aim for the uniforms as to keep them traditional while still having a modern edge to them. The red one would serve as the home uniform, white would be for the away games, while black would be the alternate uniform.

25470695747_2297241a5a.jpg

25470904587_86e1144e4a_b.jpg

39445573175_7272f0ff8c_b.jpg

40297716292_0177e7955a_b.jpg

I like how much you've removed the F motif by lengthening the back half of the bird and bringing the foot closer to the head..

I have nothing negative to say about these, but if I were going to nitpick, I'd say your striping consistency is lacking severely.. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why you have certain colors in the center and why you have certain colors on the outsides.. It seems to be pretty random.. Although it doesn't look bad, so I'm ok with it

On 2/6/2018 at 10:11 AM, honeybadger said:

Watching the NFL playoffs over the past few weeks has put me in the creative mood, making me want to try my hands at bringing some uniform ideas to life. I'll be starting with the Jaguars and Browns.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jacksonville Jaguars have all the right pieces to make a great identity ( unique color scheme, great logos, iconic looks in the past ), but have managed to botch it with the horrible helmets and a uniform design that is a bit too much cutting-edge. That being said, here is my take on their uniforms. 

25243920317_5e0d4e4243_k.jpg

39216975825_9099221155_k.jpg

I've also slightly tweaked their logo, making the eye white and increasing the size of the pupil.

26242494798_375f22aa0c_b.jpg

Use the sleeve stripes on the pants, and you've got a winner

Falcons - do away with that logo. thats no where near the level of craft as the official mark. but the idea around the uniform is solid. i would suggest a focus on consistency in stripe color. its fine to mix patterns but when you use the same pattern/stripe (in this case a Braisher stripe) and apply different color applicaltions to it, it becomes confusing - theres no rules set here and everything feels overlooked; a lack of detail attention.  establish what your rule is with color and pattern; what is this teams signature “thing”? it might feel like a boring approach, but this is something that will tie all peices of the uniform together and allow it to push towards timelessness. if you want to be more creative with the deisgn, maybe think about what strupes would look like if i fluenced by a falcons feathers. but then, you might end up closer to the current uniforms- think about whh that is ;)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

6 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Falcons - do away with that logo. thats no where near the level of craft as the official mark. but the idea around the uniform is solid. i would suggest a focus on consistency in stripe color. its fine to mix patterns but when you use the same pattern/stripe (in this case a Braisher stripe) and apply different color applicaltions to it, it becomes confusing - theres no rules set here and everything feels overlooked; a lack of detail attention.  establish what your rule is with color and pattern; what is this teams signature “thing”? it might feel like a boring approach, but this is something that will tie all peices of the uniform together and allow it to push towards timelessness. if you want to be more creative with the deisgn, maybe think about what strupes would look like if i fluenced by a falcons feathers. but then, you might end up closer to the current uniforms- think about whh that is ;)

I agree that the logo is not very well done and in all honesty it might not be suited for a NFL franchise the way it is right now. However, this is the first time I've tried my hand at making a logo so I'm not yet that good at it ( hopefully that comes with time and practice). All in all, I've made this for fun, and using the same old logos felt a bit redundant, so I took a shot at making one of my own. As for the consistency in the uniforms, here's what they'd look like if the colors were just switched from one uniform to the next (with the exception of the road uni's grey pants,because red pants didn't fit in with the look I was going for). 

38566964150_6c688f36b3_b.jpg

40377926621_f52c4a76a9_b.jpg

40377975551_d31ea879ca_b.jpg

yea, thats tough because everytime you see the stripe on a new color, it changes. so it feels like there are stripes just to have stripes. and when the uniform is built on big, blocky stripes thats the focus of the uniform and i think there needs to be some kind of rule established so you have an identity. 

i think you either pair more like colored pieces together (go for the monochrome look) or you take stripes off the uniform. maybe only the jersey needs it?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived