2017 Miami Dolphins Creative

BrandMooreArt

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I very strongly disagree. Arguably above all sports brands on the planet, the Yankees brand has transcended the confines of its sport.

Oh I disagree entirely. The Yankees are a baseball team. A culturally important team, yes. They are, ultimately, still a baseball team.

The Yankees logo is synounimous with New York  even for people who barely know what baseball is, I'd argue it's surpassed I<3NY as THE New York logo. Even if the Yankees never played another baseball game they'd still be the top seller in MLB hats, because of the cultural significance New York has and what those two letters mean. I know quite a few people who own Yankees hats and had no idea it was the logo of a sports team, they just though it was a "New York" hat (of course they didn't buy it in navy :gnashes teeth:) That's pretty much what transcending baseball is. And despite what he claims, it's not Jay-Z that made it famous

07Giants.pngnyy.png

3 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

And despite what he claims, it's not Jay-Z that made it famous

It's Spike Lee. It's a documented story that Spike Lee asked New Era to make him a red Yankees cap; that was the beginning of the explosion of non-team-color gear. Also, from my 33YO POV, where the Yankees' brand transcended just being a baseball team.

3 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

The Yankees logo is synounimous with New York  even for people who barely know what baseball is, I'd argue it's surpassed I<3NY as THE New York logo. Even if the Yankees never played another baseball game they'd still be the top seller in MLB hats, because of the cultural significance New York has and what those two letters mean. I know quite a few people who own Yankees hats and had no idea it was the logo of a sports team, they just though it was a "New York" hat (of course they didn't buy it in navy :gnashes teeth:) That's pretty much what transcending baseball is. And despite what he claims, it's not Jay-Z that made it famous

I think perhaps Mickey, George, Joe, Yogi, and others had a hand in that..

9 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I think perhaps Mickey, George, Joe, Yogi, and others had a hand in that..

A lot less than you would think.

The Cowboys brand is so strong simply because (A) Jerry Jones had the foresight to retain merch rights, exclusive from the NFL (unlike every other NFL team) and (B) Dallas happened to play its best football during the biggest merch boom in sports history. By the time the team cooled off on the field, their disproportionate market share was locked in.

The Yankees rise to prominence outside the confines of baseball did not happen when any of the players you listed played - it, too, happened during the merch boom of the 90's. The vague memory of Yogi Berri didn't randomly start moving flat brims half a century later. @BrandMooreArt, if you guys want to replicate the success of the Cowboys brand, I think you're currently implementing symptoms of their success, not the cause!

It's a combination of things.  It's not just the merch boom.  It's MTV and ESPN mostly in the 90s, and other media outlets in the 00s/10s.

Don't discount all the music videos with people (I guess mostly hip hop / rap guys) wearing Yankees gear, and how much of an influence that had in other communities where being "western" is cool.  Also with ESPN, logos / graphics are everywhere, and the teams with the larger followings (Yankees, Cowboys) are going to have their name / logo / brand plastered all over the place, and have interviews with their players with the star in the background.  That also had a huge influence.

That can certainly happen again, but another confluence of on-field success, merch boom (or new merch choices), media boom, and pop-culture boom needs to happen.  Also in the Yankees case, being from New York helps.  Dallas, while not known much outside of the states, had the advantage of establishing itself (or being appointed) as "america's team".  That means something in some parts of the world, even if not much here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

A lot less than you would think.

The Cowboys brand is so strong simply because (A) Jerry Jones had the foresight to retain merch rights, exclusive from the NFL (unlike every other NFL team) and (B) Dallas happened to play its best football during the biggest merch boom in sports history. By the time the team cooled off on the field, their disproportionate market share was locked in.

The Yankees rise to prominence outside the confines of baseball did not happen when any of the players you listed played - it, too, happened during the merch boom of the 90's. The vague memory of Yogi Berri didn't randomly start moving flat brims half a century later. @BrandMooreArt, if you guys want to replicate the success of the Cowboys brand, I think you're currently implementing symptoms of their success, not the cause!

The Cowboys I only used as an example. The brands we really look up to are Target, Apple, Starbucks, and maybe more personally, RedBull - which is the prime example of how a brand becomes more than its product. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 minute ago, BrandMooreArt said:

RedBull - which is the prime example of how a brand becomes more than its product. 

I mean, they literally became more than their product, with the soccer teams and arguably Stratos. If the Dolphins were the ones that started Uber or Miami Dolphins frozen dinners or something, then you'd have my attention. No offense, but I think all the things you're talking about are just moving the Dolphins towards being a good football team. Not something that transcends sports IMO.

1 minute ago, Cosmic said:

I mean, they literally became more than their product, with the soccer teams and arguably Stratos. If the Dolphins were the ones that started Uber or Miami Dolphins frozen dinners or something, then you'd have my attention. No offense, but I think all the things you're talking about are just moving the Dolphins towards being a good football team. Not something that transcends sports IMO.

While this may be slightly off the same topic, I have been under the impression that the Dolphins are going for an identity that revolves around much more than viewing a football team.. A very basic example might be the fact that the Dolphins have been fostering a stadium atmosphere that focuses more on the experience of visiting the stadium than the experience of watching football in person.. If a guy wants to go watch his Dolphins play, and his wife wants an afternoon out at the stadium (due to all the non-football experiences and luxury "feel" of the environment), then it's a win-win.. The couple gets to enjoy an afternoon out doing what they enjoy, and the team gets twice the ticket sales it would get if just husbands were showing up (or exponentially more than if wives are vetoing game day plans due to not wanting to go to the game, but wanting to spend the day with her husband).. 

I know it's not the best example, but I think it's a part of what the Dolphins are going for, and their location in the market of Miami helps support the "luxury" association they're aspiring to.. It probably wouldn't be received as well in blue collar Green Bay or Pittsburgh, but it's perfect for South Beach.. If the organization's interactions with the fans continue on this path, and build further on the brand they want, then the "experience" of being a Dolphins fan (or simply going to a game) will be enough to sustain the organization, regardless of the on-field product.. 

And I'd venture to say that if they reach the point where the brand itself can sustain the team, it makes the team more attractive to better coaches and players, for a variety of reasons.. So, ultimately the on-field success could come as a result of brand success, rather than the other way around.. 

Tons of great discussion here. My personal opinion is that making the live experience more extravagant, luxurious, and (frankly) infused with things that have little to do with the football game, has been counterproductive to creating passionate fan bases. I'm waiting for someone to break the mold and build an impeccably designed yet ultra-raw stadium for $250 million and give fans an affordable experience at both the box office and the concession stand. Now that stadiums and people are moving back to urban areas, that's the single biggest reason it's not enjoyable for fans. They look at their bank account on Monday morning and realize they mostly watched a giant video board and spent $300 on a hangover.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

While this may be slightly off the same topic, I have been under the impression that the Dolphins are going for an identity that revolves around much more than viewing a football team.. A very basic example might be the fact that the Dolphins have been fostering a stadium atmosphere that focuses more on the experience of visiting the stadium than the experience of watching football in person.. If a guy wants to go watch his Dolphins play, and his wife wants an afternoon out at the stadium (due to all the non-football experiences and luxury "feel" of the environment), then it's a win-win.. The couple gets to enjoy an afternoon out doing what they enjoy, and the team gets twice the ticket sales it would get if just husbands were showing up (or exponentially more than if wives are vetoing game day plans due to not wanting to go to the game, but wanting to spend the day with her husband).. 

I know it's not the best example, but I think it's a part of what the Dolphins are going for, and their location in the market of Miami helps support the "luxury" association they're aspiring to.. It probably wouldn't be received as well in blue collar Green Bay or Pittsburgh, but it's perfect for South Beach.. If the organization's interactions with the fans continue on this path, and build further on the brand they want, then the "experience" of being a Dolphins fan (or simply going to a game) will be enough to sustain the organization, regardless of the on-field product..  

And I'd venture to say that if they reach the point where the brand itself can sustain the team, it makes the team more attractive to better coaches and players, for a variety of reasons.. So, ultimately the on-field success could come as a result of brand success, rather than the other way around.. 

I agree being 100% sports team, especially 16 regular season game seasons you're not going grow brand reach. All the major prestige brands have crossed over into other categories successfully which gives them their cache.

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I'm waiting for someone to break the mold and build an impeccably designed yet ultra-raw stadium for $250 million and give fans an affordable experience at both the box office and the concession stand. 

♫ Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh... ♫

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Tons of great discussion here. My personal opinion is that making the live experience more extravagant, luxurious, and (frankly) infused with things that have little to do with the football game, has been counterproductive to creating passionate fan bases. I'm waiting for someone to break the mold and build an impeccably designed yet ultra-raw stadium for $250 million and give fans an affordable experience at both the box office and the concession stand. Now that stadiums and people are moving back to urban areas, that's the single biggest reason it's not enjoyable for fans. They look at their bank account on Monday morning and realize they mostly watched a giant video board and spent $300 on a hangover.

i think that approach would be great for the Packers or Steelers - the team is always good and theres not much use for an outdoor stadium in the winter. but when the team isnt great and you have beautiful weather every day, it makes no sense to only host NFL games 8 times a year. which is another part of this; the stadium itself and how its able to host soccer games, concerts, or whatever events at any time. 

i dont know if this fan base has become more or less passionate, its far too early to tell, but not a lot has changed about team performace in a long time, yet the ticket sales have gone way up (sold nearly every ticket last year) post stadium renovations. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

My biggest issue with the recent update is the minimal use of orange.. 

A second issue is mostly a lack of any identifier throughout the visual brand.. Whether it's a super bright color, well-used unique striping pattern, interesting helmet design, or any other single item that the team can "own".. They are a bit bland.. Nothing really bad, just a bit underwhelming..

I do actually really like the new striping pattern and color layout of the numbers, but orange needs to be more prominent throughout the uniform (and widened slightly in the striping pattern)..  The number font is a bit awkward and could be refined, but that's about all I'd change with the numbers.. Maybe find a way to make the sleeves more interesting.. And make the color rush orange uniforms a more saturated orange..  I love the idea of an orange uniform, but they look like Tennessee currently.. Simply darkening and saturating the color slightly would go a long way.. That sentiment actually could apply to their aqua a bit as well.. I like the light-ish aqua just fine, but it's a bit dull.. A team from Miami should be bright and vibrant..

Now that the uniform tweak is official , thought i would have to re-post my shot from 2015 for my fins

ynPExWf.png

More orange, less navy, current logo and number font. (I'm sorry the template is still Elite51 and not vapor untouchable but i made these back in '15)

What y'all think?

On 2/9/2018 at 7:11 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

completely understand where you're coming from. and i agree 100% on the uniforms; i dont like the current ones at all either, or the logos. i don't even disagree that the throwback unis/logos represent the Dolphins history better. 

but, the team's past is only one piece of the brand puzzle we try to represent. i dont believe the point in time you mention really allows the brand to grow for the future— at some point, you have to move beyond the Perfect Season and Marino, which our own fans get tired of hearing about. (the '72 team, not so much Marino). "old florida" is cool yes, but when you pull influence from that stuff, you're pulling from such a small part of Miami and a by-gone era that is more of a tourist trap than a representative of the local culture. and when your stadiums luxury seats were "designed to make it feel like you're on a yacht" and your team has the highest average ticket price in the league, "old florida" doesn't really represent "luxury experience", "innovation", or "modern Miami".

its an odd point in time for this team because we're kind of "stuck in the present"; meaning the best days are long behind us, but we're trying to build for the future. the team right now is kind of boring, and while a lot of things might not feel right today, if we do things well (and especially if the team starts winning) 10 years from now we can look back and say the Dolphins found a way to outgrow the 70s/80s; found a way to represent something even more than football.

our creative team had a great discussion with our CEO recently about what Miami is today, how we want to represent that, and how we can help the team grow into a stronger brand. i put together this moodboard that i think sets the tone well and captures the right energy we want to have in all our communication. theres no art deco buildings or neon lights, but personally, i feel pretty strongly this represents the city accurately and how ever it makes you feel or where it takes your imagination, i hope in 10 years, the Dolphins logo can have the same effect. :)

HBzYAj5.jpg

As a big Dolphin fan, I've enjoyed seeing your creative throughout the year. I can definitely see the modern Miami influence and I think it came across well. But considering that the Dolphins are a South Florida team, did you consider adding Fort Lauderdale and WPB to your moodboard and design influences? At this point, it almost feels like the Dolphins are more of a Broward team than a Miami team considering where the stadium is located and practice facilities in Davie.

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Now that the uniform tweak is official , thought i would have to re-post my shot from 2015 for my fins

ynPExWf.png

More orange, less navy, current logo and number font. (I'm sorry the template is still Elite51 and not vapor untouchable but i made these back in '15)

What y'all think?

What if they sleeve striped matched the others?  But, yes, exactly with the orange and leave the blue to the logo.

Archived