2017 Miami Dolphins Creative

BrandMooreArt

On 2/16/2018 at 1:12 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

we sell Miami. same for the Super Bowl or nearly any other business around. i live in Davie but i tell people back home in Indiana "i live in Miami". the city has its own brand and connotations and Miami is where we want to "be" and what corporate sponsors want to be associated with. its also more familiar to the broader fanbase— this is an international brand with fans all over teh world and Miami is the best area to place the team for many reasons.

Interesting that the Panthers went out of their way (and that arena really is out of everyone's way) to sell themselves as a distinctly Not Miami team. Look how well it's worked.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

of course; and overlap.

like i said, "don't miss the forest for the trees". and don't think that a brand is just a color and a logo, but more importantly a set of beliefs.

they've shown you more than what you thought was possible, not for the sake of it, but because it is a reflection of the core belief system that is only beginning to be shared. and hopefully, thats something you, or anyone, might like to be a part of. and if not? that's fine too— there's not a single idea that connects with everyone in the world. but if you don't start with why you do something, you're only chasing style, which is fleeting; it never lasts. might that be applied to history as well?

I like your work, but I’m not pretentious about it. You’re just doing a good job promoting a sports team that identifies with the city of Miami, not making some profound statement about the nature of a bunch of football fans and their team of choice. It’s aesthetically pleasing, but don’t kid yourself about some “greater importance.” A “brand” may be a set of beliefs, but it’s ultimately a mission statement designed to sell a product. 

As for the boldest point, “chasing style” is starting with something, namely “someone did something, let’s imitate it while being ignorant of the circumstances that made it work.” History might revolve around ideas circulated by individuals and groups, but I’d hardly frame it as the creation of “brands.” Symbolism and imagery, maybe, divorced from the economic/marketing implications that the word “brand” conjures.

I’m sorry that I’m not letting you off easy here, but everyone needs to have their convictions challenged once in a while. You’ve done it for me, and I thank you for it. Just don’t be flippant about professing “everything is branding,” ok? ;)

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Interesting that the Panthers went out of their way (and that arena really is out of everyone's way) to sell themselves as a distinctly Not Miami team. Look how well it's worked.

it makes sense on paper, right? all the pro teams are “selling miami” and theres even a soccer team in the market now, its so saturated with sports, who could resist an opportunity to break outside of that and be the Ft Lauderdale team? and if you go to FtL on game night theres lots of jerseys there. but what about in California, or Iowa, or New York?? people outside of Broward dont want to represent Broward. theres nothing culturaly significant about it, so its restricted to its own county lines. FtL people sure do love their Panthers, but i dont know if anyone on the outside does. too bad they dont stand for anything more than “Broward hockey”, eh?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

29 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I like your work, but I’m not pretentious about it. You’re just doing a good job promoting a sports team that identifies with the city of Miami, not making some profound statement about the nature of a bunch of football fans and their team of choice. It’s aesthetically pleasing, but don’t kid yourself about some “greater importance.” A “brand” may be a set of beliefs, but it’s ultimately a mission statement designed to sell a product. 

As for the boldest point, “chasing style” is starting with something, namely “someone did something, let’s imitate it while being ignorant of the circumstances that made it work.” History might revolve around ideas circulated by individuals and groups, but I’d hardly frame it as the creation of “brands.” Symbolism and imagery, maybe, divorced from the economic/marketing implications that the word “brand” conjures.

is the work just aesthetically pleasing? or did you notice it because you saw something you’ve never seen before, or at least never expected? was there something that stood out because it was unfamiliar? the low-wide angle of Parker in the locker room, the wide shot of Landry in the tunnel with the photographers around him, or a cropping of a face thats closer than other teams usually show you? maybe a shot of eyes and ball together, purposfully given to the audience to create tension; which is interesting? i wouldnt, but some might even say theres a “story” there.

still, im willing to bet theres somethig that stood out not just for its stylistic beauty, but because it was surprisingly delightful, which is a form of innovation. and one nugget after another adds up and forms a new expectation- you might even come to expect that regularly and associate it with, a certain brand. the beauty is, its not done to just sell tickets, but because those who do it believe that is the only way it should be done. anything less would be in-authentic; off-brand even. 

well at least, thats what i believe. truly, its been a good chat. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

On 2/20/2018 at 7:38 AM, C-Squared said:

FWIW, from a marketing perspective - from advertising a business to molding your own social reputation - everything is branding, including the effect of the choices a company/person doesn't make.

agreed. brand is pretty simple; its a set of beliefs around a thing that are lived up to (or not) that form a reputation about that thing. and also why, after reading the posted Bryan quote again, i feel it is a very good analogy. not to say “you build a country by building a brand” but that successful brands start with a reason for being and lasts because they stand for more than their product. (see: Blockbuster or Kodak). personally, i think its one of the most insightful things ive heard on the subject of branding.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived