PyeongChang 2018

KDubK414

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I can understand this but with so many languages represented across all events, im sure its difficult to keep up

You're an announcer for Finland-Canada, how hard is it to say the name of the Finnish goalie as "Rat-too"? How hard is it to point it out to the announcing team? I understand if maybe you forget one in the heat of the moment, but you're there for one game, maybe only that game, learning the proper way to say it shouldn't be that hard. I also understand that people here aren't used to umlauts, but an approximate version can be used. It drove me crazy to hear "great save by Ratty" or "Ratty passes the puck". I don't speak Korean, but I'm sure there were many people, places, and things said wrong over the last few days.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA loses to Slovenia and OAR loses to Slovakia, both in close games. Sure it's not as good without the best of the best there, but the Men's hockey tournament might be very entertaining this year. Any other year, these would be either blow outs or there would be a clear winner halfway through.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

2 hours ago, chrysleraspen08 said:

USA loses to Slovenia and OAR loses to Slovakia, both in close games. Sure it's not as good without the best of the best there, but the Men's hockey tournament might be very entertaining this year. Any other year, these would be either blow outs or there would be a clear winner halfway through.

Russia is a bigger surprised since they actually have KHL and former NHL players that still would be effective players on their teams if they hadn't decided o not play there this year. USA seems to suffer from what affected the pre-NHL teams. Not being able to close out games. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Was anyone else watching the Women's Super G last night when NBC decided to declare Anna Vieth the winner and switched over to figure skating, only to eat crow later as they showed Ester Ladecka winning in a huge upset? I was so confused when they cut back to an event they had said was over. My god NBC's coverage is terrible. That's a great story for Ladecka though. Wish I could have seen it live.

spacer.png

I went to bed thinking Anna Veith was the winner based on NBC coverage. Only this morning, do I find out the event wasn't over.

I've said for years, NBC coverage is terrible. Last night (when I thought Veith has won), Bode Miller showed a slow mo of her run and criticized every move she made, commenting how much better Lindsey Vonn had done (We are watching the Vonn/Shiffrin Network however), and I'm thinking, "If she did so much worse, how did she finish ahead of Lindsey?" Might have been a stronger-worded thought, at the time I though Veith had won it. From his comment earlier in the Olympics the Veith skied poorly due to being married, to this, I think he has it in for Anna.

Just found out from this morning's Sports Illustrated:

NBC cut away from the women’s Super G race and deemed Austria’s Anna Veith the winner, saying all the skiers outside the top 19 had no chance. Czech Republic’s Ester Ledecka -- better known for her snowboarding exploits -- then borrowed Mikaela Shiffrin’s skis and won the gold.

Which makes me feel a bit better, at least I didn't miss it, but also gets me madder at NBC's coverage.

8 hours ago, nickp91 said:

the NHL will regret this and the IOC will probably end up begging them to participate in Beijing 2022 cause I’m a huge hockey fan and the only thing that interests me in this is seeing Datsyuk and the College kids from team USA

I think the NHL will enjoy seeing the Russians beat everyone else over the head. It means they'll have more to negotiate with. With the NHL playing games in China I doubt they'll be sitting out for the next Olympics anyways, they just didn't want the requirement of paying for the NHL players missing time from the league and losing an All Star weekend as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Best story of the Games so far has to be Pita Taufatofua from Tonga, learnt to ski in only 12 weeks.

He finished what most thought he couldn't and didn't came last either.

This is what the Olympics needs more of, people doing their best no matter how hard it is.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

No doubt, a good many people were convinced the IOC was begging for something like this to happen when they let Russian athletes compete under the OAR banner... and now it has.

Alexander Krushelnitsky, who competes in curling, one of the Games’ least physically taxing sports, is suspected of testing positive for meldonium, a banned substance that increases blood flow and improves exercise capacity.

CCSLC signature.png

On 2/18/2018 at 10:00 PM, tigers said:

This is what the Olympics needs more of, people doing their best no matter how hard it is.

Unlike the American skiing for Hungary who found a loophole to let her in (Must have certain number of top 30 finishes, so she only entered events with less than 30 people) and did no tricks in her routine on the halfpipe. Basically, I can ski better than her and I haven't skied in 20 or so years, and that was cross-country. Though I guess she did her best.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I think the NHL will enjoy seeing the Russians beat everyone else over the head. It means they'll have more to negotiate with. With the NHL playing games in China I doubt they'll be sitting out for the next Olympics anyways, they just didn't want the requirement of paying for the NHL players missing time from the league and losing an All Star weekend as well. 

Also the reason why Olympic baseball will never be an International Tournament of Major Leaguers. 

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Also the reason why Olympic baseball will never be an International Tournament of Major Leaguers. 

Pretty much. Baseball will be back for Tokyo but the only way we'll see any MLB players is if they've recently retired.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That would honestly be more fun. In either the first or second World Baseball Classic, someone showed how you could build a Team USA out of guys who had been out of the majors for a year or two and do all right for yourself. I want to say it was 2009 because that would have been Maddux, Glavine, Mussina, Jeff Kent, Shawn Green (provided he wasn't lost to Team Israel), and of course Bonds, but maybe it was the first one, who knows.

Though of course I said the same thing about the Spengler Cup All-Stars making up the men's hockey teams at the Olympics this year and I haven't seen a single moment of it yet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Not sure if it's the lack of NHL players or the South Koreans just aren't that into ice hockey, but most NLL teams routinely pull in bigger crowds than the one at last night's USA-CZE quarterfinal - or tonight's women's gold medal game, for that matter.

CCSLC signature.png

So, they play "Born in the USA" for the win.  Not the best choice, but it got me thinking...  What were they going to play for the Canadians?  And what song would they play for the rest of the teams in the tournament if they had won instead of the Americans.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:36 PM, nickp91 said:

Enjoying watching Olympic Curling on CNBC. On the edge of my seat!

That American streak!  I can't wait for the Canadian rematch.  It's gonna be fun.

On 2/19/2018 at 12:00 AM, tigers said:

Best story of the Games so far has to be Pita Taufatofua from Tonga, learnt to ski in only 12 weeks.

He finished what most thought he couldn't and didn't came last either.

Even better than him just being there was the scene of him and a number of the bottom of the standings athletes waiting for the final skier to celebrate all together and hug it out.  Guy came in waving the Mexican flag like he'd won the gold.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived