Baltimore Ravens Refresh: 10/12/18 Re-Refresh!

hettinger_rl

The Baltimore Ravens' logo has been in service since 1999. During that time they won the Super Bowl twice (2000,2012). Having that history tied to their current logo puts my concept at a disadvantage, but here it is:

c2.png 2vt8yfq.jpg

Undecided if I like the gold line/white beak or white line/gold beak.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

1 hour ago, Whittier S said:

I prefer the white/grey beak just because it's closest to an actual raven's black beak.

I ended up choosing a light purple/grey and a shade of the same color. It still helps tie the beak to the bird's color.

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

I'm not gonna lie, I don't like this a lot. The bird comes across as though it's got a mouth full of food, rather than being a fierce mascot for the team, like it's supposed to be. It looks more like a chicken than it does a raven to me.

Altered the highlights, angle, and opening of the beak. I think it helped the cheek area and the aggression.

2lvjo87.jpg

I am having trouble articulating my thoughts so I apologize if this doesn't make sense.  The way you have cut off the rest of the body makes it seem as though the ravens actual head(skull) ends right after the cheek and the point coming out the back is a tuft of feathers.  I know your intent that the head(skull) goes the length of the logo but my brain isn't reading it that way.  I'm seeing a raven with a squished head and a tuft of feathers out the back.  I think if you lowered the line that connects to the back of the cheek to the middle of the cheek it would give the impression of a full head.

4 hours ago, Milkman14 said:

I am having trouble articulating my thoughts so I apologize if this doesn't make sense.  The way you have cut off the rest of the body makes it seem as though the ravens actual head(skull) ends right after the cheek and the point coming out the back is a tuft of feathers.  I know your intent that the head(skull) goes the length of the logo but my brain isn't reading it that way.  I'm seeing a raven with a squished head and a tuft of feathers out the back.  I think if you lowered the line that connects to the back of the cheek to the middle of the cheek it would give the impression of a full head.

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It needs to have more of a neck and possibly even part of a wing. It's missing too much of what a mascot needs to be agressive. 

Ok here is an alternate idea:

242ft6d.jpg

That's much better. I don't think that you're showing enough connection between the top of the head and the bottom. The way it curves makes me feel like something is missing.  I honestly don't think the Ravens need much of a change, and I believe this takes it way too far. The current logo is pretty good, and really only needs to get a little simpler and lose the "B".

the user formerly known as cdclt

15 hours ago, Whittier S said:

I love love love the new version except that I worry about the number of colors.

I had the same concern, so many tints and shades of purple/plum when you factor in the beak. Here is a version that uses the main colors from the bird in the beak:

i4g4nm.jpg 10s7ywn.jpg

I used a lighter purple for the highlight and carried that color scale down the other shades. I also tried taking black out of the logo because I think that it would have more punch on a black or flat black helmet. For similar reasons I brightened the gold a bit. Finally the shape has been slightly shortened.

i3wfig.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've come all the way back to the beginning and re-refreshed these concepts:

Primary:

nflbal_ravens.png

This time I based the image off of their current logo, but I took the B out and altered the look based off of raven reference photos. I removed the red, all the white except the eye-shine, and changed the gold to a more vegas gold color.

Secondary:

nflbal_ravens_4.png

I updated the secondary to work with my updated primary for the Ravens. 
The star shape is the shape of Fort McHenry and I used a heraldic styled raven for the center.

9 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Primary:

nflbal_ravens.png

This time I based the image off of their current logo, but I took the B out and altered the look based off of raven reference photos. I removed the red, all the white except the eye-shine, and changed the gold to a more vegas gold color.

Secondary:

nflbal_ravens_4.png

The star shape is the shape of Fort McHenry and I used a heraldic styled raven for the center.

I really like the heraldic style raven. It would look good on the side of a black helmet, maybe in purple, trimmed in white. I don't think you need the pentagon shapes around it. Nice work. 

10 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Primary:

nflbal_ravens.png

Secondary:

nflbal_ravens_4.png

Absolutely perfect. Only complaint is that the purples are a little too similar, so when in motion or at a distance it'd be hard to make out the shading. The designs themselves are NFL ready as-is.

Archived