Interesting Field Designs

Old School Fool

On 2/16/2018 at 7:01 AM, Old School Fool said:

The Patriots decided to get weird in 1981:

NE_1981%5E2.png

I couldn't find pictures (and I really, really tried), put the Patriots used to put the team name (not the actual/official wordmark, if memory serves me) behind the endzones at Schaefer Stadium in the late 70s.  That still may have been the case in 1981.

EDIT:  You can see it at the 1:57, 7:47 and 9:10 marks of this video.

SECOND EDIT:  I've never noticed this before, but Joe Washington is wearing a different helmet at the end of the game than at the beginning.  He went from an old school double bar mask to a 70s-80s style RB mask.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

15 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I believe it’s actually an artificial surface as of an upgrade a few years ago.

It's still natural grass. When Kurt Busch won the 500 last year, the nose of the car tore some of the grass up during his celebration, and a chunk landed on the hood. It stayed on there during the Victory Lane ceremonies and after they wheeled it into the permanent display at Daytona USA. I even remember track officials saying that they were trying to put together a plan to keep the grass maintained on the hood throughout the year it would be displayed in the museum (until it was removed last night, that is), but I never heard if they actually followed through with that.

C5xMdXnU4AAWHpE.jpg

In this article about this year's infield design, they talk about the different types of grass they use to get the two-tone look.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

20 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

And I can't find it, but I swear after baseball season ended at Riverfront Stadium, that there were games where it was just stripes. No words. But everything i find is more recent with BENGALS written across the stripes. Anyone know if I'm just misremembering or if the Bengals really did have patterened endzones with no writing at one point at Riverfront?

YouTube videos show one end zone having "Cincinnati" and the other having "Bengals" from 97-99.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 16/02/2018 at 11:03 AM, leopard88 said:

The Twins always had a marked circle around home plate and paths to the dugouts during their days at Metropolitan Stadium.  I don't remember seeing anything like that anywhere else.

Handy arrows in case you got lost on your way to the batter's box.  :P

Met-Stadium-28.pngmet10951.jpg

No walkways with arrows, but Virginia has a similarly enormous home-plate halo:

100_5497.jpg

12 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I couldn't find pictures (and I really, really tried), put the Patriots used to put the team name (not the actual/official wordmark, if memory serves me) behind the endzones at Schaefer Stadium in the late 70s.  That still may have been the case in 1981.

EDIT:  You can see it at the 1:57, 7:47 and 9:10 marks of this video.

SECOND EDIT:  I've never noticed this before, but Joe Washington is wearing a different helmet at the end of the game than at the beginning.  He went from an old school double bar mask to a 70s-80s style RB mask.

Good call:

raM1wbg.png

15 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

The only time I recall just striped end zones was the early years of Paul Brown Stadium 

paul_brown_stadium_image_1.jpg?h=600&la=

Yeah, that was back before the infamous frozen field game they needed orange lines painted over the ice that they finally switched to turf.

However, I swear I remember the regular orange/black stripes like shown at Riverfront (and now at PBS) but sometimes lacking any writing across them. Since it was only after baseball season, only a few games a year got the stripes. So I'm thinking there wasn't a consistent year-to-year design used.

12 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

However, I swear I remember the regular orange/black stripes like shown at Riverfront (and now at PBS) but sometimes lacking any writing across them. Since it was only after baseball season, only a few games a year got the stripes. So I'm thinking there wasn't a consistent year-to-year design used.

It was pretty consistent at Riverfront .No markings in the endzone through 1996(even as late as Week 17 in 1996), and then from 1997-99 it was stripes with Cincinnati and Bengals in the end zones.  YouTube videos of Bengals games (especially NFL Primetime shows) are more accurate than memories for stuff like this.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

We will, of course, overlook the minor detail that that game took place in 2000 . . . since the NFL wants us to do so.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

44 minutes ago, Matito said:

Good lord, that logo is 17 yards long. That has to be a record for the largest midfield logo, right?

This one is pretty close . . . in the NFL category (at least in length).

Cpna2J3UMAE1BLm.jpg

There's no contest if we add college teams . . . again, at least as to length.

ncsuecumidfield.jpg

Assuming the drawing is accurate, the Patriots field in the original post had an 18 yard long logo.

55 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

This one is pretty close . . . in the NFL category (at least in length).

Cpna2J3UMAE1BLm.jpg

There's no contest if we add college teams . . . again, at least as to length.

ncsuecumidfield.jpg

I personally like the larger midfield logos.  Which is why I enjoy seeing bowl game fields.  I also like large center court logos, but not ones that take up the entire court.  

5 hours ago, Yac12 said:

I personally like the larger midfield logos.  Which is why I enjoy seeing bowl game fields.  I also like large center court logos, but not ones that take up the entire court.  

The Aloha and Oahu Bowls were awesome because they were covering up all the Univ. of Hawaii logos. Too bad Boise state can't do the same for the Potato Bowl. 

Image result for aloha bowl field logo

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived