MN Vikings Logo Redesign

JViking5

I am a huge fan of how recognizable and unique the current Minnesota Vikings logo is but after studying design for a few semesters, I've come across some fundamental composition flaws in the viking head.

1. Since this a profile view of the viking, the back horn should not be visible to us. It should be obstructed by the horn closest to us.

2. The shape of the emblem as a whole fights for your attention because it has multiple points pulling you in different directions. This isn't a problem if the directions are equidistant (like a star) or pulling you in a general direction but the helmet, horns, hair, braid, and mustache all bring you somewhere else (as pictured in the diagram below). Now these things seem minor, but they leave the viking head looking very static in space. 

3. The mustache looks fine. This is just personal opinion but I think beards look meaner.

39715358124_8ffd125e27_b.jpg

My goal for this redesign was to create a streamlined, visually appealing, and tougher version of the classic logo that feels like a natural progression into the future. My solution to my issues with the existing logo was to remove the back horn, recompose the curves to all point behind the viking head, and add a beard for a tougher and more modern look. 

40425715911_7742cf32ca_b.jpg

I'm still in the process of refining the logo but I wanted to post it on here to get some feedback before I dive in too far. The beard feels sort of empty compared to the interior of the hair but I'm not sure how to incorporate the same line quality without making it feel too busy. 

Archived