Stadium art/banners

slats7

Cleveland Browns still allow some in the lower level around the field. But, yes, the general rule is that it can't cover a sponsor ad/logo, or even the team logo. Upper deck banners are forbidden in general due to the light boards, scoreboards, clocks, and anything else displayed along the facades. After years of generally restricting fans from even holding signs, they started the whole "Dawg Pound" section 'tifo' like displays, and we all know how that went.AP_57815130.c9086.jpg

Was just thinking the other day I really miss when people sitting in front row of yankee stadium would hang up Ks for strikeouts.  I’m sure they did it everywhere but it was really a yankee stadium tradition.  They would get really creative.  Cone heads for David cone, beer cups for David wells,  red socks against the Red Sox, pictures of Michael Kay.    Really miss that. 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

6 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Cleveland Browns still allow some in the lower level around the field. But, yes, the general rule is that it can't cover a sponsor ad/logo, or even the team logo. Upper deck banners are forbidden in general due to the light boards, scoreboards, clocks, and anything else displayed along the facades. After years of generally restricting fans from even holding signs, they started the whole "Dawg Pound" section 'tifo' like displays, and we all know how that went.

Here's the new Dawg Pound as of 2017. It's gotta be the coolest stadium wall in the league.

DJUFLE4VYAEGjx6.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

Since soccer stadiums use adboards you'll still see fan designed tifos and banners in the upper stands. Some teams have dedicated banners in certain parts of the stadium as well. Manchester United have a Flowers of Manchester banner in recognition of the Munich disaster and add to it during one game in February.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/18/2018 at 3:38 AM, goforbroke said:

Was just thinking the other day I really miss when people sitting in front row of yankee stadium would hang up Ks for strikeouts.  I’m sure they did it everywhere but it was really a yankee stadium tradition.  They would get really creative.  Cone heads for David cone, beer cups for David wells,  red socks against the Red Sox, pictures of Michael Kay.    Really miss that. 

More like a Shea Stadium tradition, started in 1984 for Dwight Gooden, stolen by the clowns across town.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/man-started-mets-korner-sees-idea-digital-article-1.2170602

There was also the El SSSSSSSSSSSid signs for Sid Fernandez' strikeouts.

5 hours ago, cmm said:

More like a Shea Stadium tradition, started in 1984 for Dwight Gooden, stolen by the clowns across town.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/man-started-mets-korner-sees-idea-digital-article-1.2170602

There was also the El SSSSSSSSSSSid signs for Sid Fernandez' strikeouts.

I never knew that and I’m really glad you showed that to me.  Thanks. 

I will say the Yankees fans got more creative than any other team I saw do it. 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

On 2/18/2018 at 7:52 AM, Old School Fool said:

Here's the new Dawg Pound as of 2017. It's gotta be the coolest stadium wall in the league.

DJUFLE4VYAEGjx6.jpg

They did a good job carrying that over to the concourses as well. With real wood, signs and paint, it really gives that whole section a different feel than the rest of the stadium.

DJXh6y6XcAA0dEd.jpg:large

On 2/18/2018 at 10:14 AM, C-Squared said:

My uncle used to have a box at Arrowhead and flew a Bills banner after we squashed them Week 1 in 2011... the Chiefs were not happy.

I was at that game, my only visit to Arrowhead. Went with an old college buddy who is a huge Chiefs fan, and it was a somber trip back to northeast Missouri. Not being a Chief fan, I was oddly OK with the game result?

On 2/17/2018 at 8:27 PM, slats7 said:

Sad that it went away. Added some flavor to the games. My only guess is that it was banned, not that fans lost interest.

5d3ae9e295923e20d89cf2399edc4da3.jpg

It seemed like that banner hung at Three Rivers for YEARS in the 70s.  In the process of trying to find out just how many years, I discovered that it sold for $57,500 seven years ago...

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/iconic-steel-curtain-banner-brings-57500/

The original auction house estimate was $10,000 - 15,000.  According to a poster on this board, Gene Simmons once rented it from the owner and various celebrities had their photo taken with it.  

1SteelCurtainBanner-HuntAuctions.jpg

Archived