Winter Olympics Concept Series - Calgary 2042

FinsUp1214

I’ve been in the Olympic spirit big time lately, and I’ve decided to take on a series where I’ll pick the host from 2026 on and design logos accordingly. I’m not sure how far out I’ll go yet, but we’ll see as I go!

Each case is my best guess based on who’s been in the running for games and who I think has a good shot to get the games in a certain year. It’s not meant to be taken too seriously, I’m just having fun dreaming up what logos in different cities could look like.

As you’ll see, there is one exception coming up where I’ll post a “bonus” concept for 2030, where a city that’s never been in the running (to my knowledge) but that I think would make for an interesting candidate will get a concept.

Anyways, let’s start it off!

First up is 2026, which I pick to be Sion, Switzerland:

IkAihPlh.jpg

The logo is a simple one, based off of the city’s coat of arms with snowflakes instead of stars. It’s meant to be simple, effective, straight to the point, and representative of the city.

Here’s the coat of arms for reference:

1280px-Sion-coat_of_arms.svg.png

Let me know what you think! Plenty more to come!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I really like your logo! Simple yet effective.

I hope Sion gets the olympics as I'm a bit worn out by those far away olympics I have to watch in the middle of the night ( undestood, Europe? get on with the bids...). I also like their idea of using existing venues all over Switzerland without building new ones, it will prevent the constuction of useless facilities no one is going to use after the event. But in my heart I really wish Torino gets to bid again for the 2026 olympics as it would be awesome to have the games back after 20 years (and we still have all venues and facilities). #Torino2026

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

7 hours ago, Pulv! said:

I really like your logo! Simple yet effective.

I hope Sion gets the olympics as I'm a bit worn out by those far away olympics I have to watch in the middle of the night ( undestood, Europe? get on with the bids...). I also like their idea of using existing venues all over Switzerland without building new ones, it will prevent the constuction of useless facilities no one is going to use after the event. But in my heart I really wish Torino gets to bid again for the 2026 olympics as it would be awesome to have the games back after 20 years (and we still have all venues and facilities). #Torino2026

Thank you!

Yeah I think Sion has a really good chance if their plan is to use existing venues. Lots of problems avoided there. And Torino would be good to host again too! We’ll see if they ever throw their hat in the ring anytime soon.

Any other comments before we move ahead?

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Well let’s move right along! Up next is 2030, which I think has a good shot to be Salt Lake City. Maybe some homerism there, but the good use of many existing venues and a lower cost gives SLC a really good chance. So, here goes!

KhCPg68h.jpg

Another logo based on simplicity, Salt Lake 2030 features a modern, cool (as in temperature) take on the Wasatch Range with its reflection upon the Great Salt Lake. I wanted something markedly different from the ‘02 snowflake, so I thought the mountain reflection would make for a nice route. Being a Utahan, I felt some pressure in “getting this right”; I like where this went and am happy with it myself. But let me know what you think!

Bonus 2030 concept coming up next!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Thanks you guys! 

@FightingGoldenDevil I don’t have plans for them right now in this project, but I did make a Twin Cities logo for a Summer Olympics project I did a while back! I’ll see if I can dig it up and show you!

In the meantime, let’s do the bonus round! 

To my knowledge, Flagstaff, Arizona has never come close to a bid for the Winter Olympics, but I think they’d make for an interesting candidate if they ever went for it. Unlike literally everywhere else in Arizona, Flagstaff has full winters and is one of the snowiest cities in America with about 100 in. of snowfall a year. It also is the nearest city to the Arizona Snowbowl, one of Arizona’s premier ski areas. It would take building some venues and lots of prep work to do it, but I think if they were ever serious about it, they could potentially pull it off at some point. Maybe not in time for 2030, but some time.

I put them as a bonus in the 2030 slot because I wasn’t sure when the US would likely get the Olympics again, but really wanted to do a Flagstaff concept anyways, so here we are - The “What-If” Flagstaff 2030 Olympics!

E8Qn6RTh.jpg

The logo is a snowflake designed with homages to the Arizona state flag. The top five points are based on the rays from the top section of the flag, and the bottom five points are filled in navy blue based on the solid bottom of the flag. I went with Coolvetica for the wordmark because I thought the font looked both modern and “resort-ish”.

I think of all the concepts in this series, I had the most fun making this one. But let me know what you guys think! 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Thanks for the kind words guys! Much appreciated!

Let’s move on ahead to 2034 in Sapporo, Japan!

R8huZ45h.jpg

The logo is a tribute to the first time Sapporo hosted in 1972, using the same snowflake as the 72 logo replicated twice to symbolize Sapporo’s 2nd hosting. The sun above the snowflakes is also a nod to the ‘72 logo.

Here’s the ‘72 logo for reference:

1972-Sapporo%E2%80%93Winter-olympics-cop

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Any comments on Sapporo?

For our next Olympics, we’ll head over to Stockholm for 2038. I think we may be due a more unconventional logo by then, a la London 2012 or Sochi 2014 and went that route but kept it a bit more restrained than those two.

q0SmSQIh.jpg

It may be a hit, may be a swing and a miss, but it’s something I wanted to go for anyways. The crown is a big Swedish icon, and the Stockholm coat of arms is a king wearing a crown, so I felt it would best represent Stockholm. The text and year is placed in a way to line things up and balance things out and give the logo a definitive shape.

How do you guys feel about it?

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 2/25/2018 at 11:49 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Any comments on Sapporo?

For our next Olympics, we’ll head over to Stockholm for 2038. I think we may be due a more unconventional logo by then, a la London 2012 or Sochi 2014 and went that route but kept it a bit more restrained than those two.

q0SmSQIh.jpg

It may be a hit, may be a swing and a miss, but it’s something I wanted to go for anyways. The crown is a big Swedish icon, and the Stockholm coat of arms is a king wearing a crown, so I felt it would best represent Stockholm. The text and year is placed in a way to line things up and balance things out and give the logo a definitive shape.

How do you guys feel about it?

How about trying to make the crown a little more into a mountain?

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will give those a try!

Moving ahead to 2042 in Calgary!

EC4udAIh.jpg

I wanted to use all of the Olympic colors here, so we have a multi-colored cowboy hat with a maple leaf atop it. The logo is meant to represent Calgary, Canada, and unity with all of the Olympic colors present.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

i agree with Dan O'Mac on this one. The rest have been phenomenal, (flagstaff being my favorite), but Calgary feels, I don't know, wrong. The black shape takes over the rest of the logo, and the lines don't feel smooth or even. It has a great unbalance and lack of structure, which is weird considering that's something I feel you've done fantastically through this series.

tinysig.jpg

Thanks for the comments on Calgary, guys! Really appreciate the C&C. I think I’ll go back to the drawing board on this one. I have another idea that might work a little better, so I’ll produce that and run it by you guys soon.

@Zeus89725 Denver is definitely a possibility down the road! It may happen!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived