High School Helmet Decal

Aopfer57

Hello,

I am looking for some inspiration for developing a Helmet Decal for a local school. The team is called the railroaders and the only colors they use are blue and white. The Coach really wants the word railroaders to be incorporated somewhere in the design, I am not a huge fan of big script letters on helmets so I went with a think smaller block font.

He also wants to ensure that people understand that railroaders are the people that worked on building the railroads not people who worked on trains, so I am debating doing some sort of mascot depicting a railroad worker.

I guess I am looking for help in which way I should take this logo. It is not apart of a rebrand just simply redesigning the helmet logo because a new coach was hired. What they had in previous seasons is below.

This is just a rough mock of what I think may look good any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!

railroadershelmetdecal

current look

The School is the Durand Railroaders in Michigan, it used to be a huge railroad hub. I took your sihoulette idea and ran with it this is what I came up with thus far I plan on cleaning everything up but just looking for a basis to start.

railroadershelmetdecal2

It is almost as if the circle represents the sun in this instance.

Honestly, I feel that both of these drafts are a little too complex for a helmet. A wordmark wont be readable at all if there are images behind it in the same color. I don't say that to discourage details, but it's something that should definitely be considered. Another thing to think about might be changing the circle to an oval, just because ovals work well on helmets and the circle now somewhat dominates the wordmark and the hierarchy is off as a result. Either way I'd play with the proportions of your elements. All that said, I do think that you have some cool imagery with the hammers and the tracks to play with, you just need to prioritize what needs to be featured first, imagery or text. 

spacer.png

11 hours ago, Aopfer57 said:

The School is the Durand Railroaders in Michigan, it used to be a huge railroad hub. I took your sihoulette idea and ran with it this is what I came up with thus far I plan on cleaning everything up but just looking for a basis to start.

railroadershelmetdecal2

It is almost as if the circle represents the sun in this instance.

I'm sorry, but that picture just doesn't look right. Not trying to be a smartass, but I can see the innuendo right away. I think you need to move the pickaxe or hammer to a different position because it's centered right at his crotch.

The circle, tracks, and wordmark do make for a nice overall feel though.

I know part of the design brief is that it's conveyed that a Railroader is a person who drives spikes with hammers, but considering that it's also required to include the word "Railroaders", I'd consider something simpler that ditches the idea of a person swinging a hammer. It's also possible to make a decent letter "D" out of a sledgehammer head:

W4pGQ.png

I like your designs a lot, as well, so please don't take this as a condemnation of them. Just thought I'd take a crack at it. I also think the Purdue idea of railroad tracks for a helmet stripe makes sense here.

7bVHCQ.jpg

Prior to the iteration above, my original reaction was to go even simpler and to play off the shape of railroad tracks and the sledgehammer head:

6bFv2F.png

84d5ht.jpg

7 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

So does this high school have any other colors besides navy and white, the man needs some shading and the navy railroaders on top of a navy man gets crowded very quickly

No unfortunately they only want to use blue or white on a blue helmet...

10 hours ago, builtbymachines said:

I'm sorry, but that picture just doesn't look right. Not trying to be a smartass, but I can see the innuendo right away. I think you need to move the pickaxe or hammer to a different position because it's centered right at his crotch.

The circle, tracks, and wordmark do make for a nice overall feel though.

I can't unsee it, will certainly have to fix that 

I was doing some thinking about this project. I really like the football made out of the tracks from the original picture you posted. I guess that is their current setup? 

Anyway... I'd take the 'D' out. make the top half of the football out of  lines that signify the swinging action of the axe/hammer (not sure what it's called exactly). The bottom half could be the tracks. and somewhere in the middle would be the hammer. Hope that makes sense. Either way, good luck!

Archived