Minnesota Vikings Primary Logos

verno

On 2018-02-22 at 9:58 PM, Gobbi said:

Isn’t it likely that an actual Viking helmet wouldn’t be perfectly symmetrical due to the primitive technology available at that time? Therefore, even if it was a perfect profile there’d still be a chance to see the other horn from the side?

An actual viking helmet wouldn’t have horns.

6 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Jaguars aren't teal! Wait, wrong thread? Nevermind...

Right, so that's my point. Logos are stylized and simplified for branding. Why would you complicate the design by referencing a miniscule shift in the POV?

1 hour ago, JViking5 said:

Right, so that's my point. Logos are stylized and simplified for branding. Why would you complicate the design by referencing a miniscule shift in the POV?

because it was done in a time when what we know about logos and branding today was just kicking off. this wasnt a designer that understood the simple elegance and effectiveness of iconic symbols like say, the CBS or Apple logos. it was done by an illustrator who was influenced a lot by animation at the time; Disney stuff. this was a point in time when if you needed a logo for a sports team, you go get someone who can draw a character. so to him, this was absolutley the best solution

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

An actual Viking helmet wouldn't be yellow either

shrug I don’t care about the colours being what they are. Team colours don’t have to be so literal. 

Hell, I don’t even mind the horned helmet look the Vikings go with. Sure, it’s not historically accurate, but it still resonates with most people. So the horns are fine. 

I’m just shaking my head at Gobbi trying to suggest that the horns on the Vikings’ logo aren’t accurate to how horns would look on a real viking helmet. Since you know...real viking helmets don’t have horns. 

So since real viking helmets don’t have horns? Their logo is fine. It’s not supposed to be entirely accurate. 

To me? It fits the right balance between illustration and logo. 

My point was I don't worry about what is 100% real life correct. The POV maybe or maybe not being 100% real life correct doesn't make the logo wrong or misaligned in my view. We're dealing with a yellow viking helmet with purple trim and horns. If we're focused on 100% real life, the POV of the horns isn't the first thing we should be taking issue with. This logo is a more "romanticized" treatment in almost every respect.

Archived