Pittsburgh Steeler Jersey Numbers

verno

On 2/21/2018 at 9:05 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

If the idea was that it would look better if the jersey numbers and helmet numbers were the same, it would've been much smarter to change the helmet numbers.

I don't think the idea was strictly to make the two match, but rather for Nike to accentuate a unique, existing quirk of an otherwise very traditional set.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:06 PM, Jungle Jim said:

You're biased.  :)  

The missing logo on one side of the helmet is enough to disqualify them.  The home set is good enough, but the road set misses the mark with pants that match neither the helmet nor the jersey.  The sleeve stripes on the the modern jersey cuts are a mess, also.

I've always thought their jerseys and helmets garner more favorable opinions based on the franchise's success while wearing them.

Maybe a little bias, Jim? I see your point on the road set, but I don't mind it. Any road set thoughts?

On 2/22/2018 at 12:26 AM, Sabres7200 said:

The juxtaposition of a modern font and traditional uniform compliment each other well. The font isn't too modern like the Jags font to clash with the jersey. I do wish, however, that the numerals weren't italicized and also weren't a standard font. It's Futura Condensed Medium Italic plain and simple. That's an okay place to start, but customize it a little bit and make it your own. I think the Georgia Bulldogs are a great example of that.  They took something like Bebas and made it their own without going over the top. 

georgia-bulldogs.jpg

I feel like the stroke on these is too thin, kinda makes them resemble fake jerseys...just a weird gripe.

As far as the steelers, they are a team that i would normally prefer a block font for, but they've had the italicized numbers my whole life that it just looks so normal to me. 

But i def think a stenciled font based on their wordmark would be cool to see. 

Both styles are fine, I think. Futura is probably one of the better sans-serif font families out there. But the Steelers seem to have gone with the standard, fairly condensed font. There are some heavier weights in the font family that might have worked a bit better, especially since the numbers are solid color and have no outlines.

9 hours ago, verno said:

Maybe a little bias, Jim? I see your point on the road set, but I don't mind it. Any road set thoughts?

I've always been torn.  The gold pants look outstanding with the black jerseys, because the jersey balances with the helmet.  That set truly is a classic and one of the best, missing helmet logo aside.  But with the white jersey, I don't like the gold pants near as much.  Washington has the same issue.  Their gold pants look great with the maroon jersey, not so great with the white.

I've always felt that, with football uniforms in general, the pants should either be the same color as the helmet or be white.  Four teams match up the helmet and pants beautifully:  49ers, Packers, Raiders, and Cowboys (although I wish the colors matched). Someone did a mock up of black pants for the Steelers, and some of us agreed that it was just "off" somehow.  I almost wonder if they wouldn't look better with white pants when they wear the white jersey.

This is a hard topic indeed. While I love the classic block abd the era it represented, I'm gonna have to go with the italisized Futura; partly because I grew up during this era, but it also updated their classic look without sacrificing anything.

I'm kind of shocked though to read about the disdain for their gold road pants though. I think it works well, especially when compared to the white pants they wore in the 60s and early 70s.

NSFCvyu.png

Archived