MLB by NIKE

colinturner95

hM3fgwP.png

Happy Sunday to you all. Truth be told, I had SD ready a day after the Pirates but I wasn't sure if I was ready to post them. Something felt wrong about the concept, but nothing looked wrong so here we are. I equate the Padres to the Canucks. They've worn a lot of colors, in a lot of combos with a lot of uniforms in a relatively short time. They've struggled to find an identity for some time now and now it's time to rein them in. The brown and yellow look is definitely the most unique look to pick from, and I really like the wordmarks and the SD monogram. So I did something I believe I've gotten good at: era-smashing. 

Hats - Two main hats, one is all brown with a yellow SD and the other is a bit closer to the 70's style hat but I chose to just do a front panel color to avoid a straight throwback. 

Jerseys - Went with the filled in sleeves that connect to the shoulder color. Home jersey is yellow with Padres on the front. Found a font that matches the wordmarks a lot more than the block font. I used a slightly different stripe on the sleeves with one big stripe flanked by a smaller stripe underneath it. The alt jersey is a clash kit if the colors of the home and away don't work out. 

Pants - White and brown pants. Thought about yellow pants but those were a real eyesore so they got scrapped. Simple triple stripe (hehe) down the side of all the pants. 

BP - Slightly reserved for the BP gear. Hat is a recolor of the alternate hat. Jerseys are very similar to the normal jerseys, just the sleeve design fills in the Nike template lines. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

This is pretty much exactly what the Padres should have been wearing the last few years. Nice job! 

Any chance we could see the Swingin' Friar on the yellow BP top?

Probably. 

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'd actually drop the pants stripes from the Padres. 

Mind if I ask why? 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 8/13/2018 at 10:38 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Two reasons: 1. I think they clash with the sleeve stripes (which look great), and 2. I think they're a tad too wide. 

703AcAM.png

So before we abandon the pants stripes completely, I tried one more thing before that. I changed the pants stripe to match the jersey and sock striping. Why I didn't do that in the first place is beyond me...  And changed the yellow BP jersey to have the Swinging Friar on it.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

xUqjDK5.png

School has started again, I'm not happy about it, but the world keeps on spinning. Anyways, San Francisco is up next, and there really wasn't a whole lot that I felt was wrong with the Giants uniforms. The cream colored uniforms bug me to a slight degree but I felt that it wasn't a big enough deal to change it. 

Hats - two hats for the main rotation. Black/orange and black/black. Both have the orange SF monogram on the front. Nuff said? 

Jerseys - For the jerseys, I used an adapted version of the Cleveland Browns old stripe that was derived from the triple striped black socks the Giants have worn, still wear or otherwise possess. Kept the same collar striping as the IRL uniforms. GIANTS remains on the front of the home uniforms. I tried finding a matching SAN FRANCISCO script or font for the road uniforms but it didn't work out, so the block San Fran stays. No more grey uniform, orange becomes the new road and black stays an alternate. For the black uniform, I zapped most of the cream color out of it, much like the IRL black alts. 

Pants - Pants don't change a whole lot. Triple stripe down the sides of the cream pants. Yes there is a black option which is to be used only with the black uniform. 

BP - For the bp uniforms, not super crazy. Orange/black hat with a black SF monogram. Jerseys of which there are 2, the black one is a close homage to the real black alts with the reverse colored wordmarks and numbers. Orange uniform has the SF on the front with some angular stripes. 

C&C welcome! We have two teams left and then some fun stuff for the specialty weekends!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 hour ago, CanucksFan said:

I do like the Giants set. I'm curious to see what it'd look like if cream was replaced staright up by white. I think it'd make the set pop and make it look a lot sharper.

I agree with this. Although I prefer the Giants in cream, there's something incongruous about the modern Nike template, with all of its seams and angles, in cream, which evokes old school, vintage baseball. 

Happy to see this series isn't ending after the final two teams! 

exNAxcr.png

The Cardinals have worn simple uniforms for a century now and is there really a reason to change? Aside from the light blue phase a lot of teams experimented with, Cardinals included. Even in the face of a real life Nike takeover in 2020, the Cardinals don't appear to be heading to a massive overhaul nor do they need one. They've got a classic look and I rolled with it. 

Hats - 3 hats, one being a throwback that stays with the throwback set. The two hats for normal use are cardinal/cardinal and navy/cardinal with the appropriately colored STL on the fronts. The throwback set is from 1944 so single color STL on the front on a navy/cardinal hat. 

Jerseys - Didn't change much at all. All I did was add some sleeve striping to the three normal rotation uniforms. Cardinals w/the bat on the home and alternate red, St. Louis with the bat on the road. Throwback gets the '44 Cardinals bat and birds logo on the front with the times appropriate placket and sleeve striping.

Pants - Pants have the new single stripe down the pant leg. The throwbacks also have times appropriate striping, which is pretty much the same as the rest. Socks are also the same across the board, double stripe and the throwbacks get stirrups. 

BP - BP gear stays pretty simple. Cardinal/navy hat with the single bird on the front. Navy jersey gets the simple striping on the sleeves and a chest number. the Red BP jersey was the last remnant of my original idea to use the socks striping on the jerseys but it didn't feel right so I scrapped that idea and left it for the BP set. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 8/26/2018 at 3:21 PM, coco1997 said:

No complaints for St. Louis. I really dig the sock-inspired sleeve striping on the red BP jersey. 

Speaking of which, could we see a big "StL" on one of the BP tops?

BUvFtUE.png

Oh I guess. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Alright, I powered through a whole lot of nothing and got the Nats done. 

zAKpvQS.png

Given that the Nationals are relatively young in their history as the Nationals themselves, I had a few ideas of taking them real modern and doing to them what Nike did to the Seahawks. Well those ideas fell through quite badly so I stuck with a more traditional baseball look. I don't like the W as the home uniform logo. It just doesn't work for me as a chest logo on one of the main uniforms. That being said, I do like the W. It has a baseball feel to it. I also ran with the existing look of the jerseys, which I think works but the biggest detriment to the look to me is the choice of logos. And despite my crusade on RWB teams, I had a design that reintroduced gold to the scheme but in the end I left if in the past. 

Hats - Two hats for full time use. Red/navy and navy/red with the appropriately colored W's. Helmets match their hats. I think it was in the MLB Changes thread that brought up the idea of the Nats using a pinwheel hat because of them being the former Expos. I'm young enough to the point that I barely remember the Expos so I really had no idea what a pinwheel hat was. But having seen what they are, I tried it out and IMO it doesn't work for the Nationals. 

Jerseys - As I said above, I like the jersey style currently with the double stripe on the placket and the sleeves. Therefore, I kept that largely intact. Biggest change is the Nationals script on the chest on the home rather than the W. I like the script and think it being relegated to an alternate is a crime. Away doesn't change too much if at all. Alternate is navy, with the same striping but W on the left chest, number on the lower right. 

Pants - Pants are easy and simple with the double stripe down the side. Socks are red and navy with the double stripes. 

BP - The hats for BP are both similar and also different. Based off the Spring Training hats, I did a set of white paneled hats one with the DC logo on it, and the other with the W on it. The jerseys were a combination of the final project and an early draft idea I had with the striping being on the shoulder seams. 

That's it for teams, so C&C welcome on all 30 teams and soon we'll start the specialty weekends and the All Star Game!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Awesome work all the way through! I've loved everything that you've done with this series, so much so that I put my own Nike MLB series on hold so I wasn't competing with the gorgeous work you have here.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for specialty and ASG!

spacer.png

This has been a wonderful series to follow! As @bucknut42 did, I also put my MLB x Nike series back to allow myself to fully appreciate your great designs. I love the amount of creativity put into this that goes beyond the conventions of typical baseball uniforms, especially on the BP designs. Looking forward to seeing what you have next!

Archived