RGiss NBA Concepts - Dallas Mavericks

R3G

Here's a Mavericks update. Royal blue, better cuffs, removed the side paneling entirely. This makes for a more throwback look, but I think it's modernized enough to be a new sort-of identity. Also added belt lines on the hat logo just so it looks less like a spaceship.

7XQtwuw.png

0ZFXIwK.jpg

qoSIRwA.jpg

signature.png

Check out my Instagram page! 9.5k strong! @RileyGissemanArt

What if you just made the Star the primary? And the current primary as a secondary? I love the royal and green look. Also for the city maybe take the star and put it around the number on the front. It’d probably look a little gimmicky but isn’t that what it’s all about in the city uniforms?

edit- I don’t think it was clear that I love this idea you’re cooking up for the mavs, it’s def an improvement over the current set!

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Oh wow! While i do love those colors together, I’ve always felt they connotated the Pacific Northwest more than Dallas, Texas (also there’s the issue of the Wolves “owning” those colors in ththe NBA). But in a vacuum, your concept is wonderfully executed solves the logo mess that the Mavs currently have. Kudos to hiding an “M” in the star!

13 hours ago, Vitalogy26 said:

Oh wow! While i do love those colors together, I’ve always felt they connotated the Pacific Northwest more than Dallas, Texas (also there’s the issue of the Wolves “owning” those colors in ththe NBA). But in a vacuum, your concept is wonderfully executed solves the logo mess that the Mavs currently have. Kudos to hiding an “M” in the star!

I assume you're talking about the navy, how do you feel about the Royal Blue? And thank you!

16 hours ago, flyersfan said:

What if you just made the Star the primary? And the current primary as a secondary? I love the royal and green look. Also for the city maybe take the star and put it around the number on the front. It’d probably look a little gimmicky but isn’t that what it’s all about in the city uniforms?

edit- I don’t think it was clear that I love this idea you’re cooking up for the mavs, it’s def an improvement over the current set!

thank you! I thought about making the star the primary but I think there's an NBA rule against not having basketball in your logo. I was thinking about using the star like that in the city jerseys. I'll definitely try it.

signature.png

4 hours ago, R3G said:

I assume you're talking about the navy, how do you feel about the Royal Blue? And thank you!

thank you! I thought about making the star the primary but I think there's an NBA rule against not having basketball in your logo. I was thinking about using the star like that in the city jerseys. I'll definitely try it.

Spurs have no basketball nor do the bucks, hawks, clippers, bulls, and probably others, although I do like the star I personally would keep the hat it’s more “Texas”

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

Spurs have no basketball nor do the bucks, hawks, clippers, bulls, and probably others, although I do like the star I personally would keep the hat it’s more “Texas”

Clippers and Bucks both have one, Bucks is hidden in the antlers and Clippers is the black outline. Spurs and Bulls logos are from before the rule. The Hawks were allowed to not have one since it was going back to an old logo. I don't think it's a super hard rule, but it's a rule nonetheless. :/ http://www.uni-watch.com/2009/09/10/what-youd-prefer-that-they-use-a-puck/

signature.png

On 8/14/2018 at 9:40 PM, Placebo said:

The simplicity (in the best way)  of the M/star logo is excellent. I love it.

I liked the two toned stripes on the previous Mavs shorts better though.

Thank you! Hopefully the two-toned look is good for you in this City Jersey update.

signature.png

City Jersey! I had fun with this one. I think someone's eventually got to lead the way with a two-tone jersey/shorts combo. I also like the Star idea that was pitched by @flyersfan and applied it here.

zWFFb8S.jpg

If you're not a fan of the crazy, go-for-it look of the jersey, I made a second, much more tame green City jersey here:

BZ2RaPs.jpg

I also made a city skyline City jersey, but I wasn't a big fan of how I executed it.

fbICrTw.jpg

signature.png

The new version of the logo looks very nice! The cleaner lines and lack of shading make a big difference. My only suggestion would be in regards to the orientation of the basketball lines -- the shape of the hat obscures them just enough to make it look a bit off. The symmetry of the hat may better lend itself to symmetrical basketball lines.

I also think the new color palette is an upgrade. The return of green is exciting, and royal complements it significantly better than navy.

The uniforms are clean and use the colors nicely, though they might be a bit conservative for a team with 'Mavericks' as its nickname. They're a difficult team to design for considering their extremely dated current set as well as their bland uniform history, so unfortunately I don't have much to offer in terms of suggested improvements. I'm not sold on the two-tone jersey/shorts combo for the City Edition uniform, but I really like how out-of-the-box that jersey is! It's fun and unique and does an excellent job of incorporating the identity you've created.

Good work so far!

That star logo is ingenious, one of the most clever things I've seen on these boards in a while.  And while the color palette is a bit Wolves-esque, I'd say it's not too bad-darkening the green should set it apart enough.

I will say, though, that the hat logo doesn't work well with the drop shadow-too much gradient, but that it disrupts the basketball pattern without it.  I'd use a slight outline of the blue, I'd guess.

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

I love the new royal blue and green look you decided to go with. Really sharp and contrast way better.

As far as the jerseys I think the round collar should be the go-to instead of the V-Neck. Just because it looks way more classic.
The only other thing I could think of is maybe some stripe that goes down the sides of the jerseys and shorts to balance it out a little more.

I love the city jerseys. I think the star one would look best if you added an outline to the number in the center. 2 tone is ok imo, as long as the uniform flows right. And the opponents have to clash pretty well. Also the other 2 look great, that blue one is pretttttyyyyyy

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

I guess I'm alone with this, but I actually prefer the navy with your logo. I think the hat pops a lot better on the logo. Besides, the contrast between the royal & kelly isn't great here, as they're both too saturated. I like @CaptainKirkMN's suggestion of darking the green. I'd also be happy with the current Mavs double blue.

I like the new hat strap you added with the royal logo.

It's hard to make out the ball with the hat, given it's orientation. Maybe reorient it like the basketball on Denver's new logo?

I really love your original jersey set. The slightly silver away with only navy trim and white drop shadows is perfect for Dallas!

I like the skyline jersey as-is, but I see your execution concerns. Maybe make the skyline tonal?

Sorry to be nitpicky! Good work!

Excellent work mate! If I had your skills I would try to play around with the navy blue, royal blue and the green. Besides that, I would love to see these as official Mavs uniforms!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

Archived