Teams reusing jerseys

You know, a long time ago, in the days before one company supplied uniforms for all the teams in a certain league (and when teams cut their own deals with uniform manufacturers), many teams would commonly recycle old jerseys from other companies and rebadge them with the new manufacturer.

https://goldinauctions.com/Drew_Brees_1st_NFL_Game_Used_and_Inscribed_Rookie_-LOT544.aspx - Exhibit A: This 2001 Drew Brees Chargers jersey. Take note at how it's badged as an Adidas jersey, but it has the old Starter tags on the inside (1998 was the last year Starter provided the Chargers' jerseys; from 1999-2001, Adidas was their provider before the NFL league-wide switch to Reebok). Kinda interesting to see how they had a several-year old jersey ready for use there.

http://gamewornfootballjersey.com/saskatchewan-roughriders.html - Exhibit B: The Omarr Morgan Saskatchewan Roughriders jersey, used in 2004. It was a Puma jersey, but rebadged into a Reebok jersey.

I wonder.... was the early 2000s decade the last time teams would recycle older jerseys from different manufacturers? I'm interested to know.

UBwef0L.png

Another example I found a while ago, but cannot now, is that the Orlando Magic, in their first season (1989-90), wore Durene jerseys that were supplied by Sand-Knit. The company's parent, MacGregor Sporting Goods went under towards the end of the first season, and Champion took over as the jersey supplier the next year; there were at least a few of the team's jerseys made from Durene that had a Champion jocktag on it, which were leftovers from the last season.

UBwef0L.png

5 hours ago, johnnysama said:

Another example I found a while ago, but cannot now, is that the Orlando Magic, in their first season (1989-90), wore Durene jerseys that were supplied by Sand-Knit. The company's parent, MacGregor Sporting Goods went under towards the end of the first season, and Champion took over as the jersey supplier the next year; there were at least a few of the team's jersey made from Durene that had a Champion jocktag on it, which were leftovers from the last season.

Sand Knit supplied all NBA uniforms until Champion took over in 1990. I've seen numerous examples of SK jerseys being used as late as the 1991-92 season, some of which had the tags replaced with Champion tags.

The same thing happened with the NHL and CCM/Koho/Reebok. A lot of the jerseys worn on-ice for the 2005-07 seasons were CCM/Koho jerseys with the neck logos replaced by Reebok logos. Given that there wasn't any other visible manufacturer tagging inside the on-ice jerseys, the switch wasn't difficult.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2018 at 8:12 PM, johnnysama said:

Another example I found a while ago, but cannot now, is that the Orlando Magic, in their first season (1989-90), wore Durene jerseys that were supplied by Sand-Knit. The company's parent, MacGregor Sporting Goods went under towards the end of the first season, and Champion took over as the jersey supplier the next year; there were at least a few of the team's jerseys made from Durene that had a Champion jocktag on it, which were leftovers from the last season.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Orlando-Magic-Jeff-Turner-Jersey-Champion-Game-Worn-Used-Signed-Sand-Knit/264271168309?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144 - Apologies for the lateness of my reply here, but here is one such example of a first-year Orlando Magic jersey being rebadged as a Champion jersey from a Sand-Knit.

UBwef0L.png

Furthermore, the practice of recycling older jerseys was quite prevalent in the CFL during the early 2000s decade; I've seen examples of a Starter becoming a Puma, Puma to Reebok.... quite dizzying. The CFL was cash-strapped in those days.

UBwef0L.png

Not totally the same, but Michigan football bought Oregon State jerseys for their quarterbacks to use. Michigan was still adidas at the time so they had to get rid of the Nike logos.

Image result for michigan quarterbacks oregon state jerseys

Image result for michigan quarterbacks oregon state jerseys

Even better, the reason for this is that the equipment manager ordered red jerseys for the quarterbacks which were sent back immediately. Because you can't wear Ohio State colors in Ann Arbor. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived