New Era brings back U.S.-made wool 5950s for "Retro Classic" line

Sodboy13

On 2/27/2018 at 10:55 PM, el_gmac said:

The fish off center is the least of your problems here, the fins are inaccurate ask our pal @tubby34  about it

So, um, I had heard this before but never knew the exact specifics and I tried to look it up myself and can't exactly find the answer... what's wrong with the fins? Is it the number of them?

And besides the fins and the F being centered, the other issue is the white outline that wasn't there in 93.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

That's the first, and by far my favorite, series of BP caps they're trying to recreate.  My primary Twins cap is from that set (because it was the only way to get the "TC" at the time).  I love that "neo-mesh" (or whatever) material.  Plus, most of the designs are not too "out there" (Oakland and a couple of others).  It looks pretty nice; though nice job sticking the big tag in front of the historically-inaccurate New Era logo.

These don't have the New Era logo on them.

12 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

As for the missed colors...why?  It reminds me of my very first post in 2004 about the NHL Center Ice Collection (I think that is what it was called) and how I could not consider buying and otherwise sharp North Stars jersey because the star was backwards (i.e., the top point pointed the wrong way).  It was all I could see, though most people would not notice.  Same with this...people like us just can't get past it.  And in both cases, there's no excuse.

It's bizarre.  New Era made the originals; I have no doubt that they still have the original files.  These were made in the age of computerization, after all.  Heck, they probably still have examples in storage somewhere.  There's no reason that they should make so many silly mistakes.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:01 AM, phutmasterflex said:

Absolute trash. This line has been out for over a month... at least the Padres cap that I had been seeking for so long

The navy is off. The original logo was raised and was bigger. The squatchee is supposed to be white. 

hwl?set=sku%5B20942539%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

So I find it problematic to release these as "retros" and yet have so many inaccuracies. 

Some of them are correct and I am intrigued but overall, very disappointing. 

In 1999, the Padres did have white squatchees/buttons, but did they switch to navy squatchees in 2000?(edit, yeah, looks like it was 2000)

bret_boone_padres_1517345549927_76748617

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

In 1999, the Padres did have white squatchees/buttons, but did they switch to navy squatchees in 2000?(edit, yeah, looks like it was 2000)

bret_boone_padres_1517345549927_76748617

Thanks for that because the original throwback I have has a white squatchee. 

Well, the other stuff I mentioned is still true though. Lids has been trying to defend their stance on social media saying that these are not all supposed to be straight throwback, where even though now they are aware how their labeling is misleading. 

Go A's!

I don't know why all the hate for Lids.  They do business the way we all should aspire to.  What other sports apparel company shuts down for inventory the week before the Super Bowl, because you know, who wants to buy sports merchandise the week before the Super Bowl...[/ sarcasm]

New Era is also maddening.  Since their sizing is so notoriously inconsistent I can never order a fitted hat online.  There are a few in this series I'd like to get my hands on though but for the inaccuracies.  What a shame.

4 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

See where it's made. China-made caps seem to feel slightly bigger 

It is indeed Chinese. Good thing for me, it lasts longer this way. I tend to buy a size bigger so that they last longer when they do shrink

I got the California Angels hat and don't have any problem with the design, largely because New Era has been putting out a terrible version already for years, but it was too big. Luckily, it's wool so I just have to take it in the shower and I'll be good to go, right?

• 1 month later...

Bumping this one because New Era has added some 1999 Turn Ahead The Clock caps to this product line, in case your desires are unconventional. Lids had exactly one of the Brewers Barrelman TATC hat in stock, and it was in my size, so I took that as a sign and bought it.

The product description lists these hats as 70% wool/30% polyester.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Bumping this one because New Era has added some 1999 Turn Ahead The Clock caps to this product line, in case your desires are unconventional. Lids had exactly one of the Brewers Barrelman TATC hat in stock, and it was in my size, so I took that as a sign and bought it.

The product description lists these hats as 70% wool/30% polyester.

Damn, no Cleveland Indians TATC!!!

I've been wanting one since 1999.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

22 hours ago, PittsburghSucks said:

Damn, no Cleveland Indians TATC!!!

I've been wanting one since 1999.

They have a bunch of what ifs and random names, just poke around on their site. 

On a a related note, do your research. A lot of em are messed up, again. 

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Brewers one actually looks accurate.  I ordered one, and will compare it with my original when it arrives.  

^ it is actually a little "off" if you look closely when you get your Lids order in.

The OG hat has the entire "cap" on the Barrel Man in tonal light navy whereas the Lids remake has the cap in metallic gold w/ light navy outline.brewhate_1491945959440_58116486_ver1.0_6

hwl?set=sku%5B20979185%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

Great catch!  I still haven’t dug my old cap out of storage. 

Strangely enough, I think that’s an improvement.  The cap doesn’t blend against the crown and get lost.  But that doesn’t excuse the historical inaccuracy.  

And looking at your pictures, the logo is a little off too.  They’ve reduced the Barrelman in size just a little, allowing more of him to fit inside the square. You can see five staves of his barrel chest, whereas in the old one you could only see four.

Again, these little flaws are very strange.  The originals were made from digital files; surely New Era still has them in the archives.  These caps should be simple to re-create precisely. 

So, mine arrived today. First off, it's made in Vietnam and 100% polyester, not 70/30 like the site says. It's not the current on-field Chinese poly, though; the material feels rougher, like it's trying to replicate wool. Second, and perhaps @Gothamite or someone of similar expertise can answer, is the green square supposed to be tilted on the front? I'm not sure if I got quirky 1999 accuracy or 2018 New Era "quality."

Still trying to feel out the fit. May send this one back.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Second, and perhaps @Gothamite or someone of similar expertise can answer, is the green square supposed to be tilted on the front? I'm not sure if I got quirky 1999 accuracy or 2018 New Era "quality."

Nope, by my recollection the square was actually a square, and squared off.  Pretty sure it wasn’t tilted in any way. 

On 4/7/2018 at 5:19 PM, Gothamite said:

Nope, by my recollection the square was actually a square, and squared off.  Pretty sure it wasn’t tilted in any way. 

Did yours arrive yet, by chance? I'm kinda waiting on the exlert's verdict before I decide what to do with my hat.

Archived