The Return of Black for Black's Sake (UPDATE: Indians)

coco1997

6 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

The Black Jays jersey looks...way better than I expected it to.

It definitely blows the water out of the actual BFBS they wore.

No doubt. The one they really wore was just wrong. This one at least looks cool and stays true to their styling.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/4/2018 at 7:14 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

Padres? They've tried every other color scheme, might as well throw black in there.

Good choice!

The Padres have had three distinct looks since the early ‘90s, so I made a concept for each one. 

'92-'03:

BFBS_Padres_90s.png

'04-11:

BFBS_Padres_2000s.png

'12-Present:

BFBS_Padres_Brown.png

The Padres have primarily been a navy team for the past few decades, so I knew that combining that with black was never going to look great. Nevertheless, I made do with what was available. For the '90s set, I used block numbers with double outlines to incorporate the navy, and for their modern set I used brown and gold from their fauxback for some variety. 

C&C appreciated, and feel free to keep requesting teams! 

12 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

I'd request the Mets, but they were pretty much the kings of BFBS, so... how about the Expos?

I like your thinking!

BFBS_Expos.png

Sadly, the Expos left us right at the peak of BFBS mania. This is how I figure they would've looked. Big thanks to @Victormrey for tracking down a version of the "Expos" wordmark with double outlines. 

NOTE: Because I'm not a fan of solid-colored alternates paired with pinstriped pants, any team that normally wears pinstripes (Expos, Cubs, Twins etc.) will get solid white pants with stripes from their road pants where applicable. 

41 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I like your thinking!

BFBS_Expos.png

Sadly, the Expos left us right at the peak of BFBS mania. This is how I figure they would've looked. Big thanks to @Victormrey for tracking down a version of the "Expos" wordmark with double outlines. 

NOTE: Because I'm not a fan of solid-colored alternates paired with pinstriped pants, any team that normally wears pinstripes (Expos, Cubs, Twins etc.) will get solid white pants with stripes from their road pants where applicable. 

Man that's awesome and terrible at the same time. Twins aren't pinstripes anymore. And could we see them next? I can't wait to see what 90s horror show awaits my Twinkies

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

22 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Man that's awesome and terrible at the same time. Twins aren't pinstripes anymore. And could we see them next? I can't wait to see what 90s horror show awaits my Twinkies

Sure thing!

BFBS_Twins_Red.png

I decided to take a more restrained approach with the Twins, using black accents instead of a full-on black jersey, which would've looked too similar to their navy alt. I got the idea from this Mets jersey

C&C appreciated! 

On 3/4/2018 at 9:05 PM, itsmb8 said:

I don't think i've EVER seen the Brewers in black.

That changes today!

Like the Padres, I decided to do three designs for the Brewers: 

'94-99:
BFBS_Brewers_90s.png

'00-Present:

BFBS_Brewers_2000s.png

Throwback:

BFBS_Brewers_Retro.png

For the '90s and current uniforms, black replaces navy, though the navy base layer remains. I think the throwback is my favorite of the three. What do you guys think?

P.S. Big thanks to @slapshot for providing me with the '90s Brewers numbers, as well as a few other numbers styles that will appear later in this series. 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

That changes today!

Like the Padres, I decided to do three designs for the Brewers: 

'94-99:
BFBS_Brewers_90s.png

'00-Present:

BFBS_Brewers_2000s.png

Throwback:

BFBS_Brewers_Retro.png

For the '90s and current uniforms, black replaces navy, though the navy base layer remains. I think the throwback is my favorite of the three. What do you guys think?

Version 3 is easily the winner.  With the modern look, black just looks so out of place for some reason.  And with version 1, I honestly never really liked the late 90s branding, and black looks out of place there as well.  I think what it really comes down to, is black just really cant be used with a dark navy color, but with brighter colors like royal and yellow, it looks pretty good.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 3/4/2018 at 6:45 PM, SplashBoogie said:

Real talk I'd like to see a Tequila Sunrise BFBS Astros

I didn't think to do the Tequila Sunrise design, but here are the current Astros in BFBS:

Astros.png

Pretty straightforward. Basically an inverted version of their orange alt but with black replacing navy. C&C welcome! 

Any teams you guys want to see next? 

Archived