Team Color Changes

kimball

A rundown of the Atlanta Hawks' color history -- I would venture to guess no professional sports team has changed colors more than them.

Red // Sky Blue

Blue // Green

Red // Yellow

Red // Black // Yellow

Red // Blue // Grey

Red // Volt // "Granite" 

I'd guess another change will come <5 years. The new scheme is quirky but wearing off on folks and not a hit with fans

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHL: The Anaheim Ducks from their original jade and eggplant to black, copper, orange.  Pittsburgh Penguins from double blue to yellow and black.  Washington Capitals red, white, and blue to blue, copper, and black, then back again.  Phoenix Coyotes black and green to sand and brick.  

NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers, Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors.

Astros: Navy and Orange to Orange and Dark Royal to Navy and Orange (with Red, Amber and Yellow accents) to Navy and Gold to Black, Brick Red and Sand to Navy and Orange.

Rockets: Green and Gold to Red and Yellow to Navy, Red and Silver to Red and Silver.Insert other media

On 2/27/2018 at 3:03 PM, kimball said:

In the Major 4 sports -- for the most part when there is a logo change the team colors stay the same -- or don't vary much from the base color. I know there are a few teams that have traded in red, blue, white for green, black and white (as an example). But, there aren't many ... 

I think we’ve disproven the original premise by now.  Teams who change their logo but not their colors are the exception, not the rule. 

On 3/16/2018 at 7:58 PM, Bobster said:

That graphic really doesn’t tell the whole story, and it’s misleading because it factors in colors that only appear in logos - for example, the Phillies independence hall logo has green bushes in it, but nobody would claim that green was one of their colors. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's a question: of teams that have changed from their original colors in the modern era (so let's discount stuff like the New York NL Giants wearing purple or whatever), how many have been improvements? 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Here's a question: of teams that have changed from their original colors in the modern era (so let's discount stuff like the New York NL Giants wearing purple or whatever), how many have been improvements? 

Hmmm.... the only one I can think of is the blue jackets original red navy and lime to red navy and silver.

Excellent!

Even that's just a tertiary accent and the Jackets never stopped being a navy and red team. 

The only one I've got offhand is the Utah Jazz going from purple/yellow/green to purple/columbia/teal/copper. I think many would say the Buccaneers going from creamsicle and red to red/pewter/black/orange, but they are wrong; the Bucs are showing their age more than ever in the alarm clock era and seem to have had it right the first time after all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Seattle Mariners.

This one always throws me for a loop.

1948_Detroit.png?6181

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think the Utah Jazz would easily win this thread.  Over the past 20 years alone, they have worn regular uniforms (meaning, actual primaries or alternates in their uniform lineup, and not throwbacks, fauxbacks, special occasions, retro mashups (like CavFanatics), or other one-offs) that have been:

-black

-white

-yellow

-green

-light blue

-dark blue

-purple

Now if you consider their current city uniforms to be primarily both red and orange (which I think is arguable), that means that they have basically had a regular jersey in their uniform lineup that was every color of the rainbow in the past 20 years alone.  And again that's not just trim colors or anything like that, its the actual base color of the entire uniform.

I can't think of any other team who comes close, especially in such a short amount of time.

Archived