New England Revolution New Logo idea

Elf Plus Productions

Earlier this week there was a post about all the new uniforms for the upcoming MLS season. Something stuck out to me that the New England Revolution a original member of the league have never bothered to change their logo which is now 22 years old. So I thought I give it a shot but because others have done their own designs of this logo I wanted to give myself some parameters to follow. First, I had to keep all elements of the original logo in the design, next I need to keep with the same color scheme, any new elements must be accurate to the region and finally it must have a classic soccer look. The shield shape is the same shape that is on the Massachusetts flag, I kept the orginal elements (stripes/font/soccer ball with stars) and on the right side added a silhouette of Paul Revere (Revolution Symbol plus it's a acknowledgement to the Midnight Riders), the arm and sword on the Massachusetts flag and Faneuil Hall (Another Revolution Symbol). Please let me know what you think and if this could be something the Revs might be able to use in the future. 

New England Revolution New Logo idea

First Edits based on Feedback....

Second Edit

Joe

It's a good initial idea, the crest with the inclusion of elements of the current logo for historical reference. but there are way too many elements for the logo to be effective on a smaller scale.

rATMcmK.png

Thank you Whittier S for the feedback. Made some slight adjustments to the logo based on the fact it maybe too many elements in the logo! Took out the ball with the Stars too (Never liked that anyway, always thought of the 94 World Cup). 

Please let me know what you think now....

Joe

Some suggestions:

The 96 should be somewhere but it should be subtle and small.  Look at FC Dallas or Colorado Rapids FC as examples.

Paul Revere on the horse is awesome.

The Flag of New England has become a fairly large part of the Revs' identity.  Especially their alternate kit.  I think that should be factored in, maybe in place of the large "EST. 96"

I think the 90s "Revolution" font and stripes was dated the second it came out.  Something that would go better with the "New England" wordmark at the top of the shield would flow better and make the brand a little more timeless.

mainescarf.png

I feel like it's getting there. A lot of it is figuring out how to scale the elements so they work well in relation to each other. You'll have to experiment some with that. I'd have the stripes fill the entire section of the crest. That font isn't serving you well; it looks very Microsoft-standard. I'd hunt around and download something a little more distinctive, though you are on the right track with a serif font. Kill the glow on the tree.

rATMcmK.png

12 hours ago, Elf Plus Productions said:

Thanks SNBSlugger!

Is this a better edit? 

Second Edit

Yes!  You're definitely getting there.  Lose the outer glow around the tree and maybe put the pine tree in a smaller white box within the current red, as it's in a white box on the actual flag.  Most modern professional logos are flat and don't use glow, emboss or fade effects. The Revolution font is MUCH better.  The 90s stripes at the bottom still look a little dated.  I'm not so sure about those.

I did a Google image search under "New England Revolution concepts." Many of them have come from this board.  I don't advocate lifting the other work of others (and definitely giving credit if you use some elements), but maybe you see something in there and get inspired.

mainescarf.png

Archived