The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The link to the WVU combos brings you to Clemson's.

whoops. That's what I get for mass copy/paste and not checking links. Try it now, the last four teams are up with the appropriate links to teams.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

qbUQb0d.png

I think Ball State is one of a few college teams I have not seen a concept for on here. And I've been lurking here for 10 years and a few months now. But hey, here they are now. The Cardinals have been relatively tame with their partnership with the swoosh, but nothing about their uniforms outwardly scream "unique". But they have an air of simplicity that really captured my attention and was something I sought to keep. 

XNmnBWv.png 0j6LAuE.jpg 

yo1qBup.png Ds5dp9R.png

Football - So the inspiration here was the top of the logo and the short little head feathers on the top of the cardinal head. Originally the stripe was gonna be three stripes wide, but it came across looking a lot like an Adidas stripe so that wasn't gonna fly (heh). So the stripe was two stripes wide and is reminiscent of the top feathers of the logo's head. Anyways, the helmet remains largely unchanged and still white. Cardinal logo on both sides. Jerseys have the stripes on the sleeves that terminate toward the back of the uniform. Pants do something similar with the stripes coming up from the bottom with that slight curve coming from the back of the pants. Alternate is simply an all back rendition of the home/away uniforms. 

Hockey - IRL Ball State hockey rocks I believe they're the Ottawa 67's black uniforms, and it just doesn't work. But club sports take what they can get. But these imaginary D1 uniforms are very much in line with the new style of uniforms. Red is now the home uniform with the Cardinal logo front and center with the bird stripes on the sleeves and on the hem. Socks have the same stripes as the jerseys, white helmets for both home and the away uniforms. Alternate is again a blackout version of the home/away uniforms. 

Baseball - I normally tone the baseball uniforms down a little bit given the nature and historical feel of the sport, but I don't feel as though I did that here. I went with a V-neck template because the IRL baseball team looks really good in them. Bird stripes on the sleeves, stacked Ball State on the chest of the home and away with the number underneath it. Pants have the bird stripe that doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the pants. For the alternate, I stopped just short of a total blackout with black pants. 

Basketball - For the hardwood, I was replacing a recolored UConn template which broke nothing in my heart. I tried something and didn't have the stripes go all the way around, which they weren't going to do anyways and had them stop a little shorter than what is normally expected. Stacked Ball State on the front of all 3 jerseys. Arched nameplate on the back of all 3 jerseys. Shorts have the stripes on the waistband and as well as up the side of the shorts. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Ball State looks great! I do have a couple suggestions though. The white helmet with the red jersey for hockey would really stand out on the ice, I think a red helmet would make it more cohesive. Also, this isn't a critique, but I would love to see what that script logo would look like on the black hockey jersey. Overall great job, definitely one of my favorites so far!

On 1/15/2019 at 11:03 AM, Section30 said:

Ball State looks great! I do have a couple suggestions though. The white helmet with the red jersey for hockey would really stand out on the ice, I think a red helmet would make it more cohesive. Also, this isn't a critique, but I would love to see what that script logo would look like on the black hockey jersey. Overall great job, definitely one of my favorites so far!

So I'm gonna go halfway with you on this. No other team has a red helmet, hat or other head apparatus and I didn't really like the way a red helmet looked on the red uniform. So it stayed white. however I was intrigued by the idea of the script on the black jersey like baseball's black uniform: 

zKLHX1C.png

And I think it turned out looking awesome. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 1/8/2019 at 1:39 PM, bkknight95 said:

So, this took longer than I wanted to because my second option after further review was going to way too close to what @oldschoolvikings designed for the Mountaineers so I had to scrap Option 2 and go back to the drawing board. The drawing board process took a while because I didn't want to go to a straight throwback route. And then finally, the light bulb went off. 

wgDyIdx.png

2pOxQht.png AfGW2pu.jpg

ljEr4r7.png ydtkSgr.png

Before I begin, let me say this: I know Mountaineers =/= Coal Miners. But that aside, coal mining has been a part of West Virginia history for a long while and I looked to that for inspiration on these uniforms. More closely, I used the coal miner uniforms as direct inspiration for these uniforms which is where the stripes come from specifically. So now with a new inspiration in mind, there are 4 new uniforms, 1 in each sport that also make a new appearance. 

Football - No major changes to the helmets. Logos, bumpers remain the same as before this update. Jerseys and pants do not. First things first, it's a return to to the previous Morgantown font. I personally have no major issues with the current font, plus or minus a few alterations to a few numbers in the set but anyways. The sleeve stripes are basically lifted from miner uniforms and recolored to fit the sleeves as well as down the pants. Now to the new alternates. The WVU Pro Combats were among my all time favorites in the 3 year period they ran. So in this case I flipped the color scheme to a black base uniform with some alterations. Coal patterned helmet with yellow and black WV on the side. Jerseys are black with yellow numbers, coal dust pattern on the sleeves and miner uniform stripes near the shoulders to more closely simulate a coal miners uniform. On the pants, the coal dust pattern runs top to bottom with two sets of uniform stripes to again simulate a coal miners uniforms

Hockey - Hockey sees a bit of change. But I am leaving the numbers on the shoulders. Gone is the pickaxe stripe and replacing it is the miner stripes. The away uniform now gains a navy shoulder yoke. I also added gold pants after a previous debate I had scrapped but now they are here for the option. There's now a "Pro Combat" hockey uniform with coal dust down the sleeves and the pants. 

Baseball - Less change than hockey I think. Sleeve colors go away, stripes change. Hats don't change at all. Pants stripe changed. Pro Combat uniform gets added . 

Basketball - Basketball sees a bit of change. The striping arrangement doesn't change but the stripes do. But the biggest change is the jersey font. With the use of the Morgantown font, the block font no longer felt like it fit. So I went looking for a font that would fit with the number and I think I found it. Beyond that, the next biggest change is the addition of the Pro Combat uniform. Shoulder stripes, coal stripe down the side of the uniform which continues down the shorts with the set of stripes in the coal stripe. 

C&C welcome!

Sorry I'm replying to this so late, I spent some time off the forums when this went up.  Anyway, I'm a current Mountaineer and thought I'd offer some perspective.

First, let me say that it's a very nice start.  I feel like a combination of your two versions would be almost perfect in my eyes.

When you say "Mountaineers =/=Coal Miners" you're only partially right.  There has actually been a push to integrate mining ideas more into WVU's identity.  The football team currently has a WVU miner helmet that's used like a turnover chain whenever we get an interception.  There was a student petition in the middle of the season to create a black set for the Oklahoma game.  We even gave this hypothetical uni a name: "Coal Rush".  So a black set evoking coal would be more than welcome.  You also NAILED the coal rush idea for all 4 sports, IMO.  The gradient is a wonderful idea, and also well-executed.

Although I think the second attempt was largely improved, you got rid of a couple elements that I liked in the first.  Firstly, the number font.  The one the football team currently uses is definitely growing on the fans, and I think it would be wise to stick with it.  The new one does look nice, though, and the way it copies the style of the "Flying WV" could be quite popular as well.  I think the first one would work best on football and basketball, while the new one would look good on hockey and baseball.

Secondly, I like your striping on the first iteration better.  Triple stripes aren't really WVU's thing, and we're trending away from white except on throwbacks (and as an outline around the Flying WV).  That being said, I don't like the slanted cutoff, except when it matches the numbering.

I do think that with two alternate sets, one should be a throwback.  It's your call, but I feel like the old football-over-the-state logo would work better on football's white helmets.  That's just a personal preference, not necessarily one that most students would prefer.

As far as your baseball uniforms, you mentioned not being able to find a good wordmark.  I'm a fan of this one, used on lots of WVU sweaters (also with blue on yellow): LARGEIMAGE_1044366.jpg

Although in general I'm a fan of the primary on one lapel style for baseball uniforms, I feel that any set should still feature a couple of wordmarks.  I also think that the Flying WV is a bit too square to appear big enough in this style.

On a final note, I really like the gold basketball uni, and the grey football helmet.  I showed this concept to a friend of mine who is on WVU's hockey team, and he said he REALLY liked them, especially the white one.

If you actually made it to this point in my ramble, I'd like to thank you for taking my input about a month after the fact.  I think you're just a couple tweaks away from perfection!

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

I love your Ball State design. As a current student here, I think some of our uniforms are pretty bland (looking at you football) but you've managed to modernize and make a great looking classic uniform all at once. 

Initially, I was a little bit apprehensive about you stacking Ball on top of State, but it's grown on me the more I've looked at it. Also, that script is absolutely freaking gorgeous. I like what you've got here, a lot actually. Nice work.

spacer.png

gaQ4Jaq.png

4Rnp8L3.png 64TBizk.jpg

Oq4Bwdu.png 8t2tG8m.png

Syracuse is always a team I felt could use a unique look however the football team took a step forward and then two steps back with their latest redesign. The lack of orange, overemphasis on navy really ruins it for me. And then there's the unnecessary grey that gets thrown in to it. But the sleeves offer something to be desired to me. I'm always a sucker for that style of "speed" striping they use because I find that it can be very versatile which drove the design of these uniforms. 

Football - It's a return to the simpler with a mix of the modern thrown in. It marks the return of stripes to the helmet, with the new "speed stripe" making its debut. Block S on the side. Navy helmet to serve as the alternate. Jerseys have the speed stripe wrapping around the sleeve caps. Yes I'm keeping the much maligned font. Again, I'm a sucker for custom fonts, and I personally like the look of the font. Block S at the base of the collar. Pants are equally as simple with the stripe down the side of the pants. 

Hockey - While the women's team is a Division 1 level team, the men do not have the same such luck. So for the imaginary D1 mens team, much of the same comes over from the football uniforms. Speed stripes adorn the sleeves and make their way onto the hem. Pants have the same stripes, socks just have a triple stripe as opposed to the whole speed thing. 

Baseball - The resurrection of the baseball team commencences with similarly simple look as the previous two sports. Sleeve stripes are speedy in nature, thought the old basketball script would look good on the chests of the home and away uniforms so there it is. Orange and navy hats/helmets for your viewing pleasure. 

Basketball - I strayed a bit from the source material here on these. I LOVE the shorts the basketball team currently wears, and I like the overall simplicty of the IRL tops. So I strayed a bit from the previous three uniforms and did a little bit of their own thing for basketball. I kept the same wordmarks because everything else looked wrong and didn't work. Under the arms down the sides are a shortened version of the speed stripes. the shorts got wild. basically I combined the short stripes with the speed stripes and BAM, you get what you see. And because I used the basketball script on the baseball uniforms, it felt very wrong to not use it on a basketball uniform, so there are permanent throwbacks in the rotation. Plus I just watched Requiem for the Big East (which is an amazing 30 for 30 if for some reason you haven't seen it by now), and the 'Cuse uniforms from those days look amazing. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I have always thought Syracuse is one of those teams with so much untapped potential. They are the worst looking orange and blue team around and have been for a long time. I think this is a great step in the right direction for Cuse. I love the use of the script on the baseball and basketball uniforms and think it could make an interesting alternate football helmet.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Love that cursive, agree with @Clintau24 that you tapped some of ‘Cuse’s untapped potential. Really likin the football hockey and baseball. Basketball could center around that orange and navy alternates. Those are much better than the designated home and away. Imo the pattern on the shorts don’t work either for basketball. I’d like to see the whole set with the striping on (again) that orange alternate. If done right it could be possibly the best of any basketball uniform sets you’ve made. Keep up the good work!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

14 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Love that cursive, agree with @Clintau24 that you tapped some of ‘Cuse’s untapped potential. Really likin the football hockey and baseball. Basketball could center around that orange and navy alternates. Those are much better than the designated home and away. Imo the pattern on the shorts don’t work either for basketball. I’d like to see the whole set with the striping on (again) that orange alternate. If done right it could be possibly the best of any basketball uniform sets you’ve made. Keep up the good work!

So this is something I came up with looking at the basketball uniforms. After looking at it a little bit longer, I saw a big disconnect from tops to shorts. 

2a8eNkN.png

Added shoulder color as well as waistband stripes. Also I got rid of one of the "steps" going down the sides of the shorts. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

5 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

So this is something I came up with looking at the basketball uniforms. After looking at it a little bit longer, I saw a big disconnect from tops to shorts. 

2a8eNkN.png

Added shoulder color as well as waistband stripes. Also I got rid of one of the "steps" going down the sides of the shorts. 

I still don’t think this works sorry. Of course it’s up to you. But if I was going about this, I’d get rid of the short stripes entirely. It’s so busy and convoluted. Although the update you made is definitely better I think it would be better to either base it off the better alternate’s collar stripes or just copy the entire set, which would be a definite upgrade. A nice mix of retro and modern, something unique for Cuse.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 1/29/2019 at 2:51 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I still don’t think this works sorry. Of course it’s up to you. But if I was going about this, I’d get rid of the short stripes entirely. It’s so busy and convoluted. Although the update you made is definitely better I think it would be better to either base it off the better alternate’s collar stripes or just copy the entire set, which would be a definite upgrade. A nice mix of retro and modern, something unique for Cuse.

No worries, I love hearing your guys' thoughts on these. 

tMBn2pc.png

So this was a less modern but still modern idea I had after the last update. I'm obviously gonna keep the speed stripe in some way but now it's been formed into a more retro style of uniform. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

3 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

No worries, I love hearing your guys' thoughts on these. 

tMBn2pc.png

So this was a less modern but still modern idea I had after the last update. I'm obviously gonna keep the speed stripe in some way but now it's been formed into a more retro style of uniform. 

That’s much better!

3YCQJRO.png

• 2 weeks later...

A hellishly busy week gives way to a new week, and finally I can finish our ACC double-feature. 

SoeLYOO.png

zqPcGEo.png yOhPkHB.png

W2UIoww.png AyEgkiz.png

Originally, the plan was to return GT to a more Calvin Johnson-era look, but then the new look was unveiled. IDK why GT was one of the earliest teams I sketched out, they were one of the least certain teams I had. But then they went and streamlined their look and created a modern look that I think really, really works. So my plan changed, I felt it rude and wrong to completely ignore the new look they've gone to. 

Football - So football doesn't really change a whole lot from their new look. Mainly the biggest thing is that the helmet loses the stripes. They don't quite fit with the look in my opinion. Otherwise there are two helmets with 3 sticker sets if you will. Gold and white helmet shells, with the white having a gold base sticker set and a navy base sticker set for the alternate look. I kept the WAH look for them. It's their thing but I shaved it down to one white uniform. I also tweaked the "Stinger Stripes" as they're called. Gold serves as the primary clash jersey, with navy set as the alternate look. Pants are simply done with the Stinger Stripes down the side of the pants. 

Hockey - Hockey down at GT resides in the ACHA D3 levels, but has a really good look to them. In full honesty, check them out, they have an alternate based on the Thrashers old powder blue uniforms with the Ramblin' Wreck logo on the front. It's really cool. But anyways, keeping the similarity to football in mind, these are a bit simpler than the D3 team's uniforms. Stinger Stripes on the sleeves. Stinger on the shoulders, GT on the front. Hem stripes done to mirror the idea of the Stinger Stripes. And as a fmr. hockey player I am well aware of the stigma of light colored pants. Yes they get dirty quicker, but this is college hockey. Let them have fun. Pants have the stinger stripes down the side. Alternate replaces the GT with Stinger and Stinger with the Wreck Logo. 

Baseball - Baseball is as simple and modern as the rest of them. Gold, white and an added navy helmet/hat set. Jerseys are basically the same as everything else. The wordmarks don't quite lend themselves super well to the front of jerseys, so the GT logo takes their place. Stinger Stripes on the sleeves, Ramblin' Wreck logo on the back collar. Pants have the stinger stripes down the side. 

Basketball - Basketball carries out all the previously established motifs. Arched Georgia Tech on the home and away uniforms with the number in the middle. The hockey hem stripes get used around the neckline and the armholes with the stinger stripes coming out just underneath them. Shorts have the hem stripage on the waistband and around the bottom of the leg holes with Stinger on the side of the shorts. 

C&C Welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

YIIyXR2.png

ihB2HgN.png Kko7kOo.png

k58Nyi6.png wHKTBZq.png

First things first, I love the new branding for Army. Is it really still new if it took place in 2014? Okay anyways, love the look for Army. I really don't have a lot to ramble on for up here so lets dive in. Oh, I was going to try and do Army-Navy game uniforms but I failed miserably at that so there will be no Army-Navy game looks. At least for now anyways. Maybe I'll do it after the fact. Also, I know football is an Independent and the other sports are in the Patriot League but for all intents and purposes lets pretend all sports are independent. 

Football - Football doesn't see a lot of radical change. Primary helmet stays gold with a wide black stripe. Home and away jerseys really don't deviate from the current look. Stripes return to the sleeves. On the left sleeve will be the division patch that player is in. (Okay sidebar, IDK if I did that right with the patches across the team uniforms so if I screwed up with that please don't hesitate to tell me). Anyways, American flag and name patch where the conference logo would be. Pants have singular stripe down the side. No real alternate set, just black helmet and black pants. I didn't quite get the whiteout idea and I think the blackout suits Army better. So like i said, no specific Army-Navy uniforms (for now we'll at least say), BUT i did revitalise the Dress Grey set. which is a greyed out version of the normal uniforms and stays as a set and isn't for mix and match. 

Hockey - I don't really like the IRL hockey uniforms. Something about them just doesn't work for me.  So this change I think works for the better. Athena Shield front and center. Flag on the right shoulder, division patch on the opposite shoulder. NW stripes on the sleeves and the hem. Black pants with gold stripe down the side. Gold and black helmets. Dress Grey alternate set. 

Baseball - Baseball gets the bells and whistles as well. NW stripes on the sleeves and socks. Black and gold helmets and hats. ARMY across the chest of all three. Flag/name patch on the opposite side. Pants have a single stripe down the side, as well as a blackout option with the black pants. Dress Grey option for the diamond as well. 

Basketball - Finally, on the hardwood, its really not too different than the rest of them. NW stripes on the arm holes, single color on the neckline. ARMY on the home/away uniforms. Shorts have a single color waistband, NW stripes down near the bottom of the shorts. And of course, Dress Grey for the basketballers. This time with West Point on the front. 

Not a lot to say, but definitely a lot to look at. Let me know what you guys think about these and GT as well!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived