The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

5 minutes ago, edjb93 said:

Could you explain about the Northwestern stripes on your Children's Harbor uniforms? UAB football also uses the dragon scales on their Children's Harbor uniforms. Aside from that, as well as the weird striping application on the baseball pants, everything's well.

I didn't actually know that. It must be super subtle because all the pictures I saw of those uniforms I just thought they were neon green sleeve caps. Anyways: 

Image result for uab football uniforms homecoming

I just took the striping from the pants and and applied it to the sleeve caps because I thought the sleeve caps were blank, so I took that idea and applied to to the rest of the uniform. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sticking with the C-USA, next up is Rice: 

85wVQck.png

fK14KKF.png ljU2Aoe.png

SBIpcbP.png tCBu2Jm.png

My biggest complaint about Rice's uniforms is that, well they're either plain or catalog based. Beyond that, even being an Adidas football school, they haven't really jumped the shark in, well, ever. The biggest change I made was to take grey out of the color scheme. While it seems a large scale change for such a simple team, none of their redesigned logos really make heavy use of the grey, so now its gone. 

Football - I really can't complain about Rice. They've kept a simple look for a while and I didn't feel the need to go overboard, but I did want to do more than just a plain navy and white jersey set. So I clipped the wings (heh) from the newer Owl logo and put them in the sleeve caps. Used the new Rice wordmark and the new number font as well. On the pants, I used the other side of the logo's wing and stuck it down near the leg opening. Gothic R remains on both helmets as well as on the hip side of the pants. 

Hockey - This came as a bit of a shock to me but Rice has no hockey teams of any kind. With no historical precedent to build off of, I put the wings on the sleeves in a tapered manner (gets smaller from front to back of the jersey) with a simple stripe on the hem. Gothic R on the front of both, Owl head logo on the shoulders. Pants have the other wing like the football pants. 

Baseball - Baseball actually has the most fun out of all the uniform sets. Fairly simple, like the rest of them, with the wings on the sleeves. Only difference here is that the pants wing didn't work on the pants, so there's just a stripe down the pants. I gave them a second navy jersey after seeing what I assumed to be a jersey the real life team wears and made it something of a home alternate, if they feel like wearing navy at home. Biggest difference is contrasting sleeves and Owls on the front. 

Basketball - Despite being the sport that made the most use of grey, there is no more grey uniform. Stuck the wings up on the shoulders by the collar and the pants, in this case shorts wings in their place. 

C&C welcome!

Also, all the teams I've done so far (32/130) are up on the combo picker site which you can get to here or via my signature. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

gjg1SMa.png

SmoK4vU.png UlC6nrP.jpg

QrPJz8t.png ljSjOX9.png 

Technically, the RECLAIM THE STRIPE campaign was from way back in 2012 (sidebar, gddamn its been 6 years since UA took over Northwestern and since reclaimed the stripe), so maybe OWN THE STRIPE would have been a better idea, but that's neither here nor there. Northwestern owns the Northwestern Stripe which is the obvious focus here. But there's an obvious air of simplicity that the IRL uniforms across all four of these sports carry and I made it a point to keep those as well. To that point, the Gothic uniforms have been retired. I get the story behind them but I just don't really like them and so they've been retired. 

Football - At first glance there really isn't much different from what exists now. And that is really the case. The helmets remain without stripes and now there is no more white helmet. Purple and black, both with black facemasks. Purple helmet with the white N, black helmet with an white outlined purple N. Jerseys remain largely the same with the only change is the shoulder numbers moving down to the sleeve. The sleeves felt empty and I thought about adding the stripes to the sleeves, but I love the look with just the chest stripe. I normally disagree with blank pants but in this case I really think that just the logo on the hips and no stripes works really well. 

Hockey - Finding pictures of NW's club hockey team was harder than I thought it would be, but from the few that I did find, they most definitely make use of the Northwestern stripe. So the thing here was bringing the look together. Which was quite easy, with NW stripes on the chest and on the sleeves. I kept the numbers on the sleeves like the club team wears now. On the alternate, I used Willie the Wildcat's head on the front. No stripes on the pants, same stripes on the socks. 

Baseball - As it turns out, these were the only home/away uniforms that did not get a full NW stripe on the chest. I liked the arched WILDCATS too much and there wasn't a way to fit it in the stripe and have it look good. But the stripes do continue on the back. Hats/helmets match the football helmets. Pants have no stripes, but the socks do. 

Basketball - Finishing us off is the basketball team, who's uniforms get a touch simpler. Got rid of any and all trim striping and did a big stripe on the chest with NORTHWESTERN in the stripe with the number underneath it. On the shorts, NW stripe on the waistband and around the bottom of the shorts. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

iqSBfo7.png

Not really sure where to begin this part of the talk for FAU. They had a good look with Adidas, then made a switch to the more form fitting uniforms, dumped the stripes and haven't gone off the deep end but IMO haven't really found consistency with a look. They've done the Adidas catalog wings, played with stripes on their helmets, but can't quite seem to pull down a concise look. (Again, as always these are just my opinions based on what I see in my research)

ntHxcml.png yIWubaI.jpg 

LoGqX8u.png 6CIx5jc.png

Football - Back to a more basic look for the Owls. The original plan saw a wing cut out of the stripe but when it was actually put in use, you couldn't tell what the hell it was so that was scrapped pretty quickly. 3 helmets: white, navy and red, all technically with the same stripe, but obviously different colors make a different stripe appear. Owl Eyes logo with FAU across the top on all three helmets. On the jerseys, I moved the stripe from the original position on the shoulders down to the sleeves. It just felt like it fit better there. On the home and away uniforms, FAU is on the chest, alternate has the stacked Florida Atlantic on the chest. Pants are easy to navigate. Stripe down the side of all 3, state of Florida + ATLANTIC on the front opposite the Nike logo. I really liked the red socks/shoes combo from the opening game this season so those stuck around, and can move from uniform to uniform obviously. 

Hockey -  Hockey IRL wears Jets 1.0 uniforms which actually look pretty kick ass, but unfortunately they must go by the wayside for the purposes of this thread. So the uniforms should be pretty easy to figure out. The stripes are on the sleeves and hems. I used the interlocking FAU logo on the shoulders. For the home and away I used the full bodied Owl + FAU across the top as the main logo. Alternate gets just the Owl eyes + FAU. Multiple helmets as well as two colors of pants that are interchangable with the uniforms. 

Baseball - You can definitely tell where I was taking these uniforms. The real life baseball Owls wear uniforms inspired by the White Sox chest stripe uniforms. this wasn't gonna fly completely but I did like the larger stripes on the sleeves so I kept that around just with the new stripe style. Arched the OWLS on the home and away uniforms with no front number. On the alt, arched the stacked Florida Atlantic. 3 hats/helmets that mirror the football ones pretty closely. Pants I gave two options for, almost went 3 but didn't feel the need for a red out on the diamond. 

Basketball - Finishing up on the hardwood, I had another tough time figuring out which was the way I was gonna take the basketball uniforms. So I kind of kept them the same as what they wear now, with a few shakeups. Now down the side and on to the shorts is the same stripe as the rest of the uniforms. i also had a really weird thought about the Cleveland Browns pants stripe being applied here and well I tried it and we'll see how it goes. Owl Eyes logo on the shorts near the hem. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

The Schnellenberger era uniforms were always my favorite for FAU. Looked great when his Owls came to Auburn years ago. I like that you brought the stripes back and didn't just replicate this look and make them similar to LaTech.

Image result for fau football 2010

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

On 4/2/2018 at 4:01 PM, bkknight95 said:

Well now knowing that I feel like an a--hole for removing neon from the basketball uniforms. So lets change that. 

nlYCibJ.png 53fS3rw.png

So for the non basketball teams, they all get an all green uniform with black and neon accents. All of these uniform bits would stay together and not separated from these uniforms. Neon is worn with neon alone. 

seak589.png

And because of it's significance to basketball, they get a white version as well as a green, this time with green and neon accents. 

I get that Baylor basketball is really the only team with any real claim to the color but given the nature of this thread, what I do to one, I do to the rest (within the range of my abilities) 

I just stumbled on this while searching for Baylor neon basketball gear (of which there is barely any of...don't know why).  Anyway I LOVE THIS!!! I also like the black and neon bball uniform, that could be an alt for other teams.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

zcV13nv.png

oxl8sh3.png eHqnprt.jpg 

hOVdmEs.png H8sl2IG.png

As a Michigan State fan, I have very few good things to say about U❌ Athletics, but the uniform fan in me has a few good things to say. The Jordan Brand has taken good care of football and basketball, and the Swoosh has done good on the diamond and pretty good on the ice. So with that in mind, I did make a few minor changes here and there. 

Football - Not a whole lot of change to made here. The helmet stays the exact same. I don't think I made a single change to it. Jerseys had a couple tweaks made to them. I added double yellow stripes to the sleeves of the navy uniforms and accordingly moved the numbers to the shoulders. On the white uniforms I moved the stripes up onto the sleeves and also moved the numbers to the shoulders. For the maize jersey, which I didn't know had historical relevance as it was worn before gets stripes now, that I borrowed from IRL maize hockey jerseys. Kept the collar navy. All the jerseys now have the block M at the base of the collar. Maize pants remain stripeless and white pants have stripes. 

Hockey - I'm not quite sure what Nike was doing with the navy hockey jerseys. It just doesn't work for me. So now the double maize stripes get applied here on the sleeves, socks and hem. The white and maize uniforms don't really change from what exists now in real life. The biggest issues I had here was that the current pant stripe doesn't fit with the look. So I kept them blank with the exception of a block M on the front of the pants. Winged helmet because c'mon, this is Michigan. 

Baseball - Shoutout to @JimmyN64 for the baseball helmet template I ended up using here. I was a little disappointed when I found out that the baseball teams don't use a winged helmet but guess what , they do now! Uniformwise, it's a lot of the same as above. 

Basketball - Basketball saw a little bit of change, and that was mostly just in the striping patterns. I personally don't like the striping patterns they use and so I changed them to match the rest of the uniforms. 

Not a lot to say but if you guys have anything to say, I'm all ears!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

45 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

zcV13nv.png

oxl8sh3.png eHqnprt.jpg 

hOVdmEs.png H8sl2IG.png

As a Michigan State fan, I have very few good things to say about U❌ Athletics, but the uniform fan in me has a few good things to say. The Jordan Brand has taken good care of football and basketball, and the Swoosh has done good on the diamond and pretty good on the ice. So with that in mind, I did make a few minor changes here and there. 

Football - Not a whole lot of change to made here. The helmet stays the exact same. I don't think I made a single change to it. Jerseys had a couple tweaks made to them. I added double yellow stripes to the sleeves of the navy uniforms and accordingly moved the numbers to the shoulders. On the white uniforms I moved the stripes up onto the sleeves and also moved the numbers to the shoulders. For the maize jersey, which I didn't know had historical relevance as it was worn before gets stripes now, that I borrowed from IRL maize hockey jerseys. Kept the collar navy. All the jerseys now have the block M at the base of the collar. Maize pants remain stripeless and white pants have stripes. 

Hockey - I'm not quite sure what Nike was doing with the navy hockey jerseys. It just doesn't work for me. So now the double maize stripes get applied here on the sleeves, socks and hem. The white and maize uniforms don't really change from what exists now in real life. The biggest issues I had here was that the current pant stripe doesn't fit with the look. So I kept them blank with the exception of a block M on the front of the pants. Winged helmet because c'mon, this is Michigan. 

Baseball - Shoutout to @JimmyN64 for the baseball helmet template I ended up using here. I was a little disappointed when I found out that the baseball teams don't use a winged helmet but guess what , they do now! Uniformwise, it's a lot of the same as above. 

Basketball - Basketball saw a little bit of change, and that was mostly just in the striping patterns. I personally don't like the striping patterns they use and so I changed them to match the rest of the uniforms. 

Not a lot to say but if you guys have anything to say, I'm all ears!

I only really looked at the football uniforms.

I only have 2 real gripes.  The yellow jersey should only have the 2 blue stripes, like the blue jersey only has 2 yellow stripes.  Although I know its sacrilegious, it seems like the yellow pants should have blue stripes.  It would make the uniforms more... uniform.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, CLEstones said:

I only really looked at the football uniforms.

I only have 2 real gripes.  The yellow jersey should only have the 2 blue stripes, like the blue jersey only has 2 yellow stripes.  Although I know its sacrilegious, it seems like the yellow pants should have blue stripes.  It would make the uniforms more... uniform.

You know, I've tried the stripes on the yellow pants before in a previous concept and it was much maligned which is why the pants stayed blank. And I used the triple stripe on the yellow jersey because it matched the real life yellow hockey jerseys and was closer to the yellow basketball jerseys. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

pT8fMt9.png

EpR3rjp.png Jvet3vu.jpg

P8FldR7.png 9Bduf9m.png

For all, I hope you're enjoying the holidays. For others, I hope your fantasy Super Bowls are going your way. If those don't apply to you, I hope you're enjoying your weekend! As for West Virginia, this was one of two ideas I had working for them early on. Idea two is still very much in play if the feedback isn't good on these. Anyways, I really like the football uniforms for the Mountaineers, and the basketball uniforms which fit together pretty similarly. I am not a fan of the use of black so closely with navy so black is gone. I also made some changes in general to make the uniforms feel more connected colorwise. 

Football - Like I said, I am a big fan of the football uniforms, but was not opposed to some tweaks here and there. the biggest problem I have is the lack of white on the uniforms as a whole, plus with me completing Michigan the team before, this was a good way to put some difference between the two schools. So now on the gold helmets, there's a white outline on the WV. On the uniforms, particularly the numbers all have outlines now, to interject some colors that weren't previously present on some uniforms as well as in the Big 12 logo and the swooshes. I kept the pick-axe stripe as well as the sleeve caps. Also added pant stripes which mimic the sleeve designs. 

Hockey - Hockey was pretty simple but might be my favorite uniforms out of the bunch (i played the sport for 17 years, so no bias at all) but from my design perspective I just like the way they came together. Rather than do a simple sleeve stripe, I did something similar to the Pittsburgh Penguins uniforms with the sleeves but made it match the established design. I contemplated a set of yellow pants, but I am not a fan of lighter colored pants in hockey, but I've recently caught a glimpse of a Minnesota high school hockey team that wears yellow pants with navy jerseys and socks, so I might be rethinking that. 

Baseball - The biggest downfall here was that WVU doesn't really have unique wordmarks I found suitable for the front of a baseball uniform. So on all three of them, is the WV logo with the number on the other side. The sleeves look a lot like the football uniforms as so do the pants, of which there are white and navy. Again, considered yellow but just didn't like the end look. 

Basketball - Finally, basketball doesn't see a whole lot of change. I kept the stacked West Virginia, because that has been a part of the uniforms for a while now. Biggest change is that the pick-axe stripe now runs from the armholes down onto the shorts. WV logo on the legs, Country Roads on the waistband. On the alternate, WV instead of the text. 

I wish I was more sold on these but there's something that still quite doesn't feel right but I can't find what it is. Anyways, C&C welcome as always. I likely won't have another team up before Christmas, so to all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Couple thoughts: (all football)

On Northwestern's white jersey, the stripes should be light grey, so as to not interfere with the numbering.. it would be a similar effect as your black and purple jerseys having dark stripes, so the white numbers show up really well..

On Michigan's jerseys, I don't mind the addition of sleeve striping, but keep it at the cuff and move the numbers back to the sleeve.. ya just gotta!

The striping on WVU reminds me too much of Wazzu's previous football uniforms. I think you should do some striping based off the logo rather than the number font. I am a big fan of how you added more white to their look though. Good job on that. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 12:37 PM, Griffinmarlins said:

The striping on WVU reminds me too much of Wazzu's previous football uniforms. I think you should do some striping based off the logo rather than the number font. I am a big fan of how you added more white to their look though. Good job on that. 

So, this took longer than I wanted to because my second option after further review was going to way too close to what @oldschoolvikings designed for the Mountaineers so I had to scrap Option 2 and go back to the drawing board. The drawing board process took a while because I didn't want to go to a straight throwback route. And then finally, the light bulb went off. 

wgDyIdx.png

2pOxQht.png AfGW2pu.jpg

ljEr4r7.png ydtkSgr.png

Before I begin, let me say this: I know Mountaineers =/= Coal Miners. But that aside, coal mining has been a part of West Virginia history for a long while and I looked to that for inspiration on these uniforms. More closely, I used the coal miner uniforms as direct inspiration for these uniforms which is where the stripes come from specifically. So now with a new inspiration in mind, there are 4 new uniforms, 1 in each sport that also make a new appearance. 

Football - No major changes to the helmets. Logos, bumpers remain the same as before this update. Jerseys and pants do not. First things first, it's a return to to the previous Morgantown font. I personally have no major issues with the current font, plus or minus a few alterations to a few numbers in the set but anyways. The sleeve stripes are basically lifted from miner uniforms and recolored to fit the sleeves as well as down the pants. Now to the new alternates. The WVU Pro Combats were among my all time favorites in the 3 year period they ran. So in this case I flipped the color scheme to a black base uniform with some alterations. Coal patterned helmet with yellow and black WV on the side. Jerseys are black with yellow numbers, coal dust pattern on the sleeves and miner uniform stripes near the shoulders to more closely simulate a coal miners uniform. On the pants, the coal dust pattern runs top to bottom with two sets of uniform stripes to again simulate a coal miners uniforms

Hockey - Hockey sees a bit of change. But I am leaving the numbers on the shoulders. Gone is the pickaxe stripe and replacing it is the miner stripes. The away uniform now gains a navy shoulder yoke. I also added gold pants after a previous debate I had scrapped but now they are here for the option. There's now a "Pro Combat" hockey uniform with coal dust down the sleeves and the pants. 

Baseball - Less change than hockey I think. Sleeve colors go away, stripes change. Hats don't change at all. Pants stripe changed. Pro Combat uniform gets added . 

Basketball - Basketball sees a bit of change. The striping arrangement doesn't change but the stripes do. But the biggest change is the jersey font. With the use of the Morgantown font, the block font no longer felt like it fit. So I went looking for a font that would fit with the number and I think I found it. Beyond that, the next biggest change is the addition of the Pro Combat uniform. Shoulder stripes, coal stripe down the side of the uniform which continues down the shorts with the set of stripes in the coal stripe. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I really like the overall look for West Virginia. I do think the all yellow football uniform looks a bit too much like LSU. Maybe swap the blue and white stripes?

The black alts are my least favorite. I thought the collarbone stripes were odd until I saw the inspiration. I think it might be better if you picked black or grey. The coal dust look could look better on field, but feels odd here.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

hopefully the final update to WVU: 

82XRYww.png

Changed the sleeve caps and stripes on the yellow jersey to add some navy to the uniform. and just a reminder for the football uniforms, if you don't like the combos I post in the pictures, you can go to the uniform picker site and see all the possible combos here: https://colinturner95.wixsite.com/1972project or via the link in my signature

AmPJ0Ty.png 

4 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

hopefully the final update to WVU: 

82XRYww.png

Changed the sleeve caps and stripes on the yellow jersey to add some navy to the uniform. and just a reminder for the football uniforms, if you don't like the combos I post in the pictures, you can go to the uniform picker site and see all the possible combos here: https://colinturner95.wixsite.com/1972project or via the link in my signature

The link to the WVU combos brings you to Clemson's.

ExJworW.png

Archived