The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

Arizona is currently one of those teams that can do nothing right when it comes to their uniforms for me. I don't know what it would take to make them look right again. But you nailed this approach to the gradient sunset! It's prevalent but not overbearing, which they've failed to do numerous times now.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/30/2020 at 11:30 AM, colinturner95 said:

3rDiPNF.png

xsJmwhF.png Iw44nBS.png

qoLyQDS.png 1tNVZju.png

Football - Surprisingly, these might be one of my favorites out of this whole series so far. As someone who's seen an Arizona sunset, they really are something special. Coincidentally, the Wildcats have worn uniforms that somewhat reflected that, but just needed a little bit more. The helmets stay the same, all three of them, except for having the appropriately colored logos. Jerseys have a redesigned gradient fade on the sleeves. I added in a couple more color stops along the way, along with a thinner copper stripe, representing the copper mining history of the state. I even kept the dorky current number font because in my opinion, it works when its colored right. Pants have the same gradient up the pant leg, meeting the A logo on the hip. 

Hockey - didn't do too much that was wild with these. Gradient fade on the sleeves, numbers above those. I did do side panels in this case. A, thought it would be different, B, I like the way it looks. It's my design after all. Block A on the chest. Didn't do the gradient on the pants, it just felt like a little too much. there are two sets of pants: navy and red. Helmets have the 'Cats script on the sides. Alternate Red jersey is the only jersey to make large use of the State outline logo. Can't really explain that one. It just clicked to me. Socks have the gradient stripe. 

Baseball - Not a large departure from what we've seen so far. Hats are either all red or all navy with the A on the front. Jerseys use the same arched wordmark with the football font. Slightly smaller gradient on the sleeves. Filling up the whole sleeve just felt like too much to me. Also didn't do the gradient on the pants, just not enough real estate to me to make it look good. Did put it on the socks however. Also thought it was unfair that the softball team hoarded a nice looking script, which gets used on the alternate red. 

Basketball - Really didn't depart too far from the current uniforms. Did remove the side paneling and cut down the total number of uniforms to the 3 you see here. Gradient is still on the shoulders, with the copper stripe lining up with the shoulder seam. Same script as the baseball jerseys, same number font as everything else. Similar shorts gradient to football, state outline on the front of the waistband. 

C&C welcome as always!

These might be the most unique Arizona concept I've seen yet. Being a life long fan it's been annoying to watch the uniform progression of the last 7 years. While I'm not a believer in the gradient I think adding that touch of gold/copper, and doing the obvious by getting rid of the color on color numbers make this a massive upgrade.

a2BRS8U.png

I love what you’ve done with Arizona, especially the inclusion of the copper stripe in such a limited way. One small quibble: “Bear Down” is two words. 

Also, I’m not sure that I’m feeling the football font on the other jerseys. That has more to do with the fact that I just don’t like that font in general and wish that football would go back to the Nick Foles-era number font. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

12 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I love what you’ve done with Arizona, especially the inclusion of the copper stripe in such a limited way. One small quibble: “Bear Down” is two words. 

Also, I’m not sure that I’m feeling the football font on the other jerseys. That has more to do with the fact that I just don’t like that font in general and wish that football would go back to the Nick Foles-era number font. 

tJPHY0u.png AmTMlJU.png+

3mpBZBG.png37ba9RW.png

I thought I could salvage the current font by changing the colors around and adding an outline. It is a goofy font that I think could work, but not for Arizona.

Also the Bear Down mark makes it look like it's one word so my bad there 😂

On 6/30/2020 at 5:29 PM, kb105 said:

I wonder how a desert swarm helmet would work for the football uniform.

Out of place in this case. The Desert Swarm uniforms are good, but these aren't the Desert Swarm uniforms. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

yAw15pS.png

PlJYkuw.png Bj9s0Q0.png

NNFUVnR.png cKZDXqS.png

Football - Moving north from 'Zona to Colorado, we also move back in time to get our look, to right before Colorado's National Championship. The helmets remain unchanged, with the CU Buffalo logo on both sides. Jerseys get stripes on the sleeves, which appear as Northwestern stripes with an extra small stripe on the top and bottom. COLORADO wordmark on the chests of all three, along with the accompanying number font. Pants remain stripeless, with the same logo as on the helmets on the hips. Alternate jersey is gold, which is a first(?) as an alternate and not a throwback, along with a black helmet. 

Hockey - Taking our talents to the ice, to a program that I feel, could conceivably field a D1 team, get's a similar look. Kept things looking classic, with the stripes on the sleeves and the hem. Also went with a tie-down collar. Buffs logo on the chest. Stripeless pants, like football, with the CU logo on the front of the pant leg. Socks match the hem stripes. Two helmets: black and gold. I imagine they could be interchangeable if this were real.  Alternate borrows from the state's pro team's past, with a diagonal wordmark replacing the logo, which then moves to the shoulders. 

Baseball - Colorado is one of I believe I mentioned before, four Power 5 schools that does not sponsor baseball. To that end, I continued with the look establish by the two previous sports. I did go with the full stripes on the sleeves. The hats are either all black, with the CU logo or gold/black with the same logo. On the home whites, went with COLORADO, on the road blacks, Buffalo logo with the number moving to the other side of the jersey and the gold alternates, get the nickname BUFFS on the chest. Pants are as plain as can be. Socks are striped to match the jerseys.

Basketball - Finally, to the hardwood, I went with a classic look, not unlike the throwbacks released earlier this year, if you can remember back that far in this crazy ass year. Did the Steelers' thing and cut the stripes in half around the arms. Went with a one color collar. Same style wordmarks as baseball, with the number underneath it. On the shorts, the full instance of the stripe is used on the waistband, with the cut-off stripe on the bottom of the shorts. Buffalo logo on the sides of the of the shorts. Alternate replaces COLORADO with BUFFS. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

cUym2MR.png

jBeo4u4.png 3Dctwkk.png

QYCeRmc.png GlGjPU2.png

Football - Now don't get me wrong, I think Iowa is one of the best dressed teams in college football. I understand wanting to look like winners, which at the time the Steelers were the winners. But, I thought it was time to move onto a new look for the Hawkeyes. Now a new look doesn't have to mean something wild and out there. I thought a NW stripe was a nice transition that keeps things traditional but is a welcome change of pace. The helmet largely remains unchanged, aside from the new stripe and the new location of the America Needs Farmers sticker. Jerseys keep a lot of the same structure intact as well. NW stripes on the sleeves, one color wordmark and numbers. Pant stripes match the jersey stripes. For the alternate, used the Iowa script on the sides with a gold facemask. Jerseys are just a simple color flip of the home/away. 

Hockey - Kept things easy and classic, with the stripes on the sleeves and on the hem. Tiger-Hawk logo on the chest. Name and number on the back. Pants and socks have the same stripes. Alternate makes use of the Iowa script which moves the Tiger-Hawk logo to the shoulders. Beyond that, not much there to say. 

Baseball - I really liked the IRL v-neck pullovers and so all the jerseys are v-necks. Before we get there, two hats: all black and gold/black with the block I logo on the front. Jerseys all make use of the Iowa script, which grew a tail for baseball. NW stripe around the neck on the collar and on the sleeves. ANF logo on the upper back of the jersey. Pants the NW stripe down the sides, socks are striped to match as well. Like the other sports, the alternate is a color flip with nothing too new added. 

Basketball - I also really like the current basketball uniforms. They have a nice look to them and didn't need much tweaking to fall into the new scheme. Single color striping around the neck and arms. NW stripe down just the right side, that lines up onto the shorts. The shorts stripes wrap around the bottom of the shorts legs. Tiger-hawk logo on the opposite side of the shorts. Alternate replaces the wordmarks with the script, as is the case on all the alternates. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I love the idea of differentiating Iowa from the Steelers, but this doesn't really do it for me. The stripes remind me more of a MAC/AAC team than a Big 10 contender. Looks amazing, just doesn't fit Iowa in my book.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

1 minute ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I don't mind the new stripings but the home and away both need yellow pants desperately. 

they would. the jerseys aren't confined to the pants they're paired with. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Just as a quick reminder, the football teams aren't limited to the combinations in the posted image. My signature image takes you to the uniform combo site so you can see all the possible combos if you want. 

DUcv4Sz.png

8ltDZOS.png Fl4Ft4K.png

L769WY2.png gYPsyfV.png

Football - No real big changes to speak of. I unified the branding and retired the old Trojan logo in favor of the new, updated Trojan head. Jerseys stay damn near the same, save for the dropped cuff coloring on the white jerseys. Kept the key pattern on the collar in the sublimated style. Pants keep the double stripe. Almost changed it, but it surprisingly works for me. White socks, black shoes. No need to blow it up and start over. 

Hockey - Like football, I kept things pretty simple. Solid color striping with the key pattern sublimated in. USC wordmark on the shoulders on the home and away jerseys. Trojan logo on the front of the same jerseys. Decided against the hem stripe on this one. Pants are the basic inverse of the football pants. I borrowed the shield logo that Track and Field uses. I liked the look and thought it would be a good pants logo. Red helmets for all the jerseys. Alternate jerseys are gold. Only change is the college style logo on the front, with the USC wordmark above the Trojan head. 

Baseball - Biggest change is that I retired the convoluted SC logo that baseball uses and replaced it with the more traditional SC logo. One hat/helmet, all red with the SC logo on the front. Jerseys keep up with the simplicity, with the same style striping as hockey with the key pattern sublimated in. Trojans on the chest of the home and away, with the number underneath it. Alternate gold replaces Trojans with USC. Trojan head logo above the numbers on the back. Pants are double striped, red and gold socks. 

Basketball - Much like Iowa, fit things in with the IRL jerseys with some changes. The collar and arm striping matches the hockey and baseball uniforms. Trojans on the home and away jerseys, USC on the alternate. Double stripes that start at the arm holes and run down the sides to the shorts where those stripes end at the bottom with another instance of the key striping. 

C&C welcome! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

The '72 Project Train rolls on!

9n3Omtw.png

01jD8Mt.png m3svHbD.png

jPydfia.png pElyElO.png

Football - So here's the deal Wisconsin (and by extension, all the red teams in the Big Ten), how do you make them look visually distinct from each other and maintain their traditions and individuality? Well in the case of Wisconsin and Nebraska, they both have a damn near identical look. You and I here know the differences, but does the causal fan just watching a game? So what I did for Wisconsin: remember the Adidas Unrivaled uniforms with the racing stripe down the shoulders? Well I combined that with the same double stripe they've worn for a while now. The helmet doesn't change much at all. And for whatever reason, I had a tough time changing the red jerseys. It worked on the white uniforms, but I didn't like it at first on the home reds. So the home reds don't change that much, road whites get the new stripe setup. Pants stay the same. Alternates do the Michigan State route from a couple years ago, with an alternate that isn't that much different from the home but is different in some way. Also showcases the alternate red pants and helmet. 

Hockey - Like football, there isn't much that changes of consequence. Kept the same Rangers-esque script on the home and away, with the Red Wings-esque away sleeve coloring. Double stripe on the pants and the socks. Alternate jersey is a color inverse of the white jerseys, with the motion W on the chest instead of the wordmark with some slightly different socks. 

Baseball - The last of the Power 5 schools that doesn't have a varsity baseball team, much of the same style carries over from the previous two uniforms. All red hat with the W and a white paneled hat with the W. White jersey has the new striping, red away does not. Both do have arched Wisconsin and the number on the chest. Pants have the same stripe as everybody else. Alternate is just like football, which also gives the option for an all red uniform with the red pants. W on the chest instead of the wordmark. 

Basketball - I'm still unsure of this one. Much like everyone else, the white jersey has the same style as the other white jerseys, with a large red block of color and the stripes cut out of it. Red jersey doesn't quite have that and looks more like a classic basketball jersey. The alternate is a color flip of the white jersey and does something similar to the PK80 jerseys Nike unveiled, with the logo on the chest instead of a wordmark. 

C&C welcome and wanted on this one. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Alright, I'm a fan already. I like the idea for the like consistent striping. I think the only issue I have is having 2 red uniforms. I don't think the second one, the alternate one, is necessary for any of the sports. Also on their home basketball shorts, I'd keep the pattern going. Instead of 2 red lines going around the bottom I'd only have one, similar to the away's shorts. I'd apply this to the arm holes as well.  I don't have much C&C outside of that because truly I really like this as a way to differentiate Wisconsin and Nebraska. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Not sure building an identity around a one-off adidas fauxback that was hated is the best idea.  That being said, the execution is pretty good and I appreciate the attempt to differentiate the reds that consume half the Big Ten.  Dropping the black shadow is a nice touch too.  My only issue here is that I would put the vertically arched Wisconsin on the basketball jerseys in order to make the wordmarks larger and to call back to the Bo Ryan days.

I think Under Armour's Forward stripe with the unified rounded condensed Aachen font was an attempt to differentiate the Badgers from the pack, but it's pretty subtle.  If you were to go down a new path, you could try emphasizing the arrow more or by designing around a forward arrow, but keeping it fairly traditional and tasteful like you've done here with the yokes and stripes.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

23 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Alright, I'm a fan already. I like the idea for the like consistent striping. I think the only issue I have is having 2 red uniforms. I don't think the second one, the alternate one, is necessary for any of the sports. Also on their home basketball shorts, I'd keep the pattern going. Instead of 2 red lines going around the bottom I'd only have one, similar to the away's shorts. I'd apply this to the arm holes as well.  I don't have much C&C outside of that because truly I really like this as a way to differentiate Wisconsin and Nebraska. 

cVAFt8S.png rybRlrl.png

19M6q4J.png Vu5wTVD.png

So to that end, all the alternate red jerseys get retired, meaning that is really all that changes for football, hockey and baseball. Basketball sees a little more change than the rest, with some subtle changes to the white striping as well as using the arched wordmarks. 

7 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

Not sure building an identity around a one-off adidas fauxback that was hated is the best idea.  That being said, the execution is pretty good and I appreciate the attempt to differentiate the reds that consume half the Big Ten.  Dropping the black shadow is a nice touch too.  My only issue here is that I would put the vertically arched Wisconsin on the basketball jerseys in order to make the wordmarks larger and to call back to the Bo Ryan days.

I think Under Armour's Forward stripe with the unified rounded condensed Aachen font was an attempt to differentiate the Badgers from the pack, but it's pretty subtle.  If you were to go down a new path, you could try emphasizing the arrow more or by designing around a forward arrow, but keeping it fairly traditional and tasteful like you've done here with the yokes and stripes.

I think the fauxback got more hate from the giant W on the chest more than anything. Can't really see anything wrong with a simple racing stripe down the shoulders. 

IMHO, I think what Under Armour did for Wisconsin was good, but almost a little too subtle. Also, I just don't like the Forward stripe. I personally don't get it and don't really like it and wanted to take things in a different direction. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 8/1/2020 at 3:17 PM, colinturner95 said:

I think the fauxback got more hate from the giant W on the chest more than anything. Can't really see anything wrong with a simple racing stripe down the shoulders. 

IMHO, I think what Under Armour did for Wisconsin was good, but almost a little too subtle. Also, I just don't like the Forward stripe. I personally don't get it and don't really like it and wanted to take things in a different direction. 

I'm just being overly critical because they're my alma mater, I would have to get used to the yokes but I'm glad you kept them a two stripe team.  While the hidden arrow in the Forward stripe is cheesy at best, the best thing Under Armour did was make all sports have a double stripe, and you kept that, so that's all that matters.  Solid concepts, keep em coming!

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

LavDqZa.png

cKocn8J.png srYq4BE.png

jMtrC1q.png xTFLipL.png

Football - Did the smart thing. No more navy, all royal blue. Also changed the double stripe on the helmet to match the rest of the uniform parts to the northwestern stripe. Other wise, same stretch Y oval logo on the helmets. Jerseys stay damn near the exact same and so do the pants. Dropped the black alternates too. Didn't like em, don't need em. Only real big change is the addition of a satin royal blue helmet which is a first since the 1960's and could present the opportunity for the first all-royal blue uniform in BYU history. I tried fact checking that as best I could, and could still be wrong. 

Hockey - I swear in two seasons of club hockey against BYU they had like 8 different jerseys. These jerseys look like none of them, borrowing the same elements from football, with the stripes on the sleeves and on the hem, Oval Y on the chest of the home and away jerseys. Stripes apply to both the pants and the socks. I wasn't quite sure how to proceed on alternates, but I ended up in the throw/fauxback range. did a lot of stripes on the sleeves, followed by a smaller set of two on the hem. Classic-ish looking BYU on the chest. Dropped the stripes from the pants, put the block Y on the front of the pants. Socks match the arm stripes. 

Baseball - For baseball, kept it very simple and on brand with the stripes on the sleeves that match everyone else. Single color placket piping on the home and away jerseys. Cougars script on both the home and away uniforms. Hats are either all blue, blue/white and white/blue with the block Y on the front. Pants have the NW stripe down the side and on the socks. And despite my own personal aversion to pinstripes, I thought it would look good for BYU, so I went with a simple pinstriped alternate with the same BYU on the chest as hockey as well as stirrup socks. 

Basketball - Finally, didn't change up too much. Added the NW stripes around the arms with solid color on the collar. Kept the same stacked wordmark with the number sandwich. Also kept the mountains on the shorts. Thought it was cool and for BYU, definitely fits. Added the NW stripe to the hem with the oval Y on the front of the waistband. Keeping in fashion with the rest of the sports, Danny Ainge era throwback, like they've been wearing in the past few years. 

C&C welcome!

On 8/1/2020 at 7:48 PM, packerfan21396 said:

I'm just being overly critical because their my alma mater, I would have to get used to the yokes but I'm glad you kept them a two stripe team.  While the hidden arrow in the Forward stripe is cheesy at best, the best thing Under Armour did was make all sports have a double stripe, and you kept that, so that's all that matters.  Solid concepts, keep em coming!

I totally get it. My main goal was to keep Wisconsin as close to how they look now, since it is a great look, but also part of that goal was keeping them visually distinct from Nebraska. I think that I got there with the concepts. Glad you're enjoying the series so far!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to The 1972 Project: BYU Cougars

jYhy2Qy.png

MXrZBmg.pngMaIKiAv.pnghA82w8p.pngNkUo0zd.png

Football - Memphis has absolutely enjoyed the uniform's arm race. Since 2015 (according to the Helmet Project) they've worn 42 different helmet variations. 40 too many in my opinion. The first big step for me was to make a decision on colors. Blue and white? Absolutely. Grey or black? Grey has much more historical relevance to the Tigers so it really wasn't a hard choice there. With that, I kept the main helmet blue, with a satin finish. M-Tiger logo on the side of the bucket, with a grey and white tiger stripe down the middle. To those who are a fan of the full tiger stripes, the alternate is satin grey with blue stripes. Jerseys aren't that different from what they have now, but make use of the three colors better IMO. I also went back to their circa 2013 number font as well as back to their athletic wordmarks. Pants have the same style striping as the blue helmets down the sides. Alternates are grey with minimal white usage but really maintain the same style as the other unis. 

Hockey - Best I could tell, there isn't much of a hockey presence at Memphis right now. That opened the door to basically carbon copy the football style to hockey. For a split second, I had thought about doing a full sleeve of tiger stripes, but quickly decided against it. But the idea wouldn't go away entirely. Other than that, M-Tiger on the chest of all 3 uniforms. Blue and grey helmets, blue pants with the tiger stripes down the sides. Socks have the same stripes as the jerseys. 

Baseball - Like the rest of the uniforms, there will be tiger stripes, but to a lesser degree. First on the head gear, blue hats with a white/grey block M paired with a blue helmet with the full M-Tiger on it. Jerseys, home/away have smaller tiger stripe stripes on the sleeves. Wordmarks are angled and skewed on the same jerseys. Just wanted to try something different. Number under the wordmarks, M-tiger on the back, up near the collar. Nothing on the pants. Thought that the tiger stripes would be a lot on the pants. Alternate was a bit wilder than I thought it would be at first. Headgear is grey/blue with a blue M and the helmet is a lot like football. Grey jersey is a vest, with the undershirt rocking the full on tiger stripes. other than that, same style pants. Not much else is off the wall. 

Basketball - Really didn't deviate from the current uniform style with a few stylistic deviations. First, I dropped the shoulder designs and limited to under the arms down the shorts. Changed the same design to the tiger stripes on all the uniforms. Tigers on the home uniform and the alternate, Memphis on the blue jerseys. Onto the shorts continue the tiger stripes, with the main logo on the sides, cutting into the stripes. Alternate is just like the rest of them, blue and grey, minimal white. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived