The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

Aww, you dropped the hexagon pattern for Georgia Tech, to me, that's the best part of their identity.

West Point looks great, smh but I never thought about each student being in a different division, that's a neat way to highlight that.  The Army program is interesting for that and the fact that they are enlisted as well, that has to change the dynamics some.

7CAjavE.png

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Army I'd keep the flag on the sleeves and place the unit patch on the yoke. For Army-Navy Game ideas you have to go a little outside the box or really subtle.  Doug Houvenor @drdougfresh had an alternate for his old NCFA team that used the camouflage lines from boats in World War I.  If there were a pattern used on tanks that would be a good stepping off point.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Army stuff is A+++. Excellent. I'd buy all the hockey jerseys if those were for sale. 

I like the Syracuse football unis...but I still have fond memories of when they just had orange helmets with the stripes. The school probably would hate to take the S off, but they had a lot of good years with no logo on the helmet.

WVU will always look great in blue/blue/gold at home; GT's alt should be gold/blue/white (though those would be possible though mix/match).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So to any Mizzou fans, I apologize but you've been jumped. All the talk about the Army-Navy game uniforms, and then designing Army w/o any Army-Navy Game uniforms made me realize how stupid that was. So before we actually get to any A/N game uniforms, we have to cover the second half of the teams. 

ydFORfn.png

JjuVdr3.png R9BK3k6.png 

OTnwE05.png icRFUor.png

Much like Army, who is a football independent but plays all other Div. 1 Sports in the Patriot League, for sake of this thread, imagine that Navy plays all sports in the AAC. 

Football - For football, while I am a fan of the six stripe for the six fleets motif but I feel like there could still be more to the uniform. So to counter that I added the anchor logo to the shoulders with a navy stripe on the away uniforms. Helmets remain pretty much the same that I'm aware of. Pants have a wide stripe with the N-Star logo on the hip, with the Eagle Globe & Anchor on the front hip. Much like the land based counterparts, no white pants for the normal rotation of uniforms. So now to counter the Dress Grey uniforms for Army, Navy will rock the Summer Whites. While the uniform was made with Under Armour, I added some quirks from the Nike A/N Game uniforms, namely the fonts and the helmet design.  As to how the stripes work:

"Freshmen will wear uniforms that feature only an anchor on the shoulder and pant leg, but with no stripes, sophomores will have one diagonal stripe, juniors will get two diagonal stripes and seniors will have one parallel stripe. Then the captains will wear a star and three parallel stripes, which is the rank of a midshipmen lieutenant."

So for all the Summer White uniforms, I chose to illustrate the captain's stripes. 

Hockey - On the ice, the six stripes take a bit more precedence as the anchor wasn't enough IMO to be the focal point on the sleeves. Nevertheless, Anchors on the shoulders, full N-Star logo on the chest. Gold helmets for both home and away. Pants are navy and navy alone with a gold stripe down the side with the N-Star in the stripe. Socks have the fleet stripes on them as well. Now to the elephant in the design. The idea behind the Summer Whites which necessitate the use of white pants. Yes I am a former hockey player. Yes I am well aware of the "stigma" behind white pants. I understand they would get very dirty very quickly and lose their "white appearance". If they were to be worn with the full time away uniform then I would probably welcome any and all criticism about it, however give that it is for use as an alternate uniform, I think that in this instance, white pants would be okay. 

Baseball -  For baseball, same designs apply. For the chest, I saw several pictures with just the N-Star on the chest with a number and to me that looked much better than NAVY spelled out across the chest. Pants just have a single stripe down the pant leg. Summer Whites appear very similarly to the rest of them. Not much to say there. 

Basketball - Basketball felt a bit tricky to me, But I think I got it to work. Anchor designs on the shoulders, NAVY on the chest of both home/away uniforms. Fleet stripes on the hem of the shorts. Wide stripes at the bottom of the shorts with the N-Star on the side of the shorts, in the stripes. Summer White uniform design gets applied to the basketball uniforms. 

C&C welcome and now begins the fun part!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 2/22/2019 at 5:23 AM, MJWalker45 said:

For Army I'd keep the flag on the sleeves and place the unit patch on the yoke. For Army-Navy Game ideas you have to go a little outside the box or really subtle.  Doug Houvenor @drdougfresh had an alternate for his old NCFA team that used the camouflage lines from boats in World War I.  If there were a pattern used on tanks that would be a good stepping off point.

In my rush to get Navy posted, I managed to forget a couple Army updates: 

ZySLft1.png FpXAu4B.png

So hockey and basketballs' patches were fine, with both either being on the chest already or being on opposite shoulders. So for football, switched the positions of the flag and the division patch and I guess I can say the same for baseball. 

On 2/19/2019 at 7:47 AM, n312rb said:

Aww, you dropped the hexagon pattern for Georgia Tech, to me, that's the best part of their identity.

West Point looks great, smh but I never thought about each student being in a different division, that's a neat way to highlight that.  The Army program is interesting for that and the fact that they are enlisted as well, that has to change the dynamics some.

IIRC, they've also totally dropped the hexagon pattern from their overall identity. I wasn't huge on it. There was an earlier draft of their design that had a hex worked in. Maybe another post for a different thread

AmPJ0Ty.png 

So Army/Navy stuff is taking a little longer than I'd like it to. On that note, if you guys have any comments, criticism or thoughts about the recent teams, I'm welcome to hear it!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Okay, I think I got something to show y'all. At the moment I only have football and I know my M.O. for this thread has been four sports but I almost want to keep this one just for football due to the importance of the game in real life, but I'll see what the court of public opinion thinks.

Q6xYRYP.png

No matter who your team is throughout the regular season, we always find ourselves drawn to the TV the weekend after Championship Weekend to watch the Army-Navy game. Nike and Under Armour have done fantastic jobs in the past on the game uniforms and I can only hope to have a sliver of that same success. I'm not gonna do a whole lot of talking on these, only enough to say that my inspiration was "tools" of World War II. Instruments of War sounded so dark. My overarching idea was important devices and such that helped the US military in World War II. For Army that was the M4 Sherman Tank. For Navy it was the USS Enterprise. 

wHx9w3N.pngi75nY7f.png

Let me know what you guys think and if I should extend it to the rest of the sports!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

6 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

Okay, I think I got something to show y'all. At the moment I only have football and I know my M.O. for this thread has been four sports but I almost want to keep this one just for football due to the importance of the game in real life, but I'll see what the court of public opinion thinks.

Q6xYRYP.png

No matter who your team is throughout the regular season, we always find ourselves drawn to the TV the weekend after Championship Weekend to watch the Army-Navy game. Nike and Under Armour have done fantastic jobs in the past on the game uniforms and I can only hope to have a sliver of that same success. I'm not gonna do a whole lot of talking on these, only enough to say that my inspiration was "tools" of World War II. Instruments of War sounded so dark. My overarching idea was important devices and such that helped the US military in World War II. For Army that was the M4 Sherman Tank. For Navy it was the USS Enterprise. 

wHx9w3N.pngi75nY7f.png

Let me know what you guys think and if I should extend it to the rest of the sports!

God bless our troops and God bless America. These are awesome.

It looks fantastic! The only change I would make is substituting the black on the tire tread marks for something like a dark green on the army sets. The black stands out a bit too much, a darker gold or darker green might blend better, I would also change the name (which is black) to the same color. Maybe removing the gold stripe between number could help aswell.

And for navy, I really love all of it and have nothing to say besides great job!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 3/19/2019 at 8:46 PM, BellaSpurs said:

It looks fantastic! The only change I would make is substituting the black on the tire tread marks for something like a dark green on the army sets. The black stands out a bit too much, a darker gold or darker green might blend better, I would also change the name (which is black) to the same color. Maybe removing the gold stripe between number could help aswell.

And for navy, I really love all of it and have nothing to say besides great job!

Not crazy about the idea, but here it is nonetheless: 

bpoIozK.png

I like the black due to legibility for the names and I personally think it looks better, but here's a version with a double green idea. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

11 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Isn't Old Ironsides also the nickname of the USS Constitution, one of the US Navy's first and most famous warships? 

yes it is. I'm kinda surprised that it took this long for someone noticed. I wasn't sure what to do about that. Both the 1st Armored Division and the Constitution use it as a nickname. I think that given the colors of Army's uniforms there wouldn't be confusion with the famous Navy Frigate. Not quite sure if there's a necessary fix for that. I think "Old Ironsides" does look better going down the pant leg than "M4 Sherman". 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Alright, gonna get us back on track here with the next team up: 

dZOXRTW.png

Mizzou got a hell of an upgrade when Nike redid their look a few years ago. However there are a few things I would still change and did change. 

FnX0s9Z.png WSfsZgE.png

tfzoAXr.png TVtOhcI.png

The black and yellow really pop off of each other and I wanted to play that up. I also didn't like how the three football jerseys now all were unique from each other. It just doesn't work for me. 

Football - So for football, no more stripes on the helmet. Just the big tiger logo, one color, on both sides with the number in the space on the back of the helmet. I was a big fan of the yellow helmet introduced this past season so now there is an alternate yellow helmet. Jerseys now have two stripes that run onto the chest CLE Browns style. Mizzou also has a tiger stripe pattern that I feel gets underused so now the stripes and numbers now have the tiger stripe pattern in them. Pants have the tiger stripes down the pant legs.

Hockey - Hockey got a little interesting to me. Originally there was nothing on the hem and it just felt empty with nothing there. So now there is a solid stripe on the hem. Otherwise, it's all very similar to football with the stripes on the sleeves and pants.

Baseball - I kept things similar to the rest of the uniforms. Tiger stripes on the sleeves, TIGERS on the home whites, MIZZOU on the road and alternate. Three different hats, one with a black base, yellow brim with an M on the front, an all black hat with the one color tiger, yellow hat like the first black hat. The biggest difference here is the pants don't have any stripes. There was just no real way to make them work. 

Basketball - Finally to the hardwood, very simple looking uniforms, tiger stripes under the armholes, tiger stripes on the shorts. Not much to say there. 

Didn't really give you guys a whole lot to go on, but let me know what you think nonetheless!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

just moving right along down the list. Next up: 

kMjnitI.png

I'm supposed to hate them, but as far as rivalries go, I've enjoyed the recent battles with Fresno State on the football field. Also have to give Jeff Tedford mad props for the turnaroud there. What he's done in his two full season has been incredible to watch. Uniforms however... not quite as high praise. Football is a templated mess. Hockey is a minefield trying to find anything. Baseball isn't half bad tbh and basketball has too many looks too fast. It's time for a change

dRqx5bK.png tCYTR5k.png

ecmpnM4.png Nkr22Us.png

I was struggling to come up with a clear and unique look for the Bulldogs, but looking to the past proved to be very useful. I found this image surfing the web which reveals a former uniform with a three stripe pattern on the sleeves. And then I decided to use something from the green San Joaquin V on the back of the helmet and shorted the middle stripe so it doesn't wrap the same length as the other stripes. So zang zadamn, Fresno State has a unique look finally.

Football - Football needs a change the most. The catalog look is garbage at the very least. Helmets are now red and white with the BULLDOGS script on the sides. Green V on the back of the helmets with the Bulldog logo on the lower back accompanied by the player number. Jerseys have contrasting color collars with what I'm terming the Valley Stripe on the sleeves. FRESNO STATE (even though it isn't one) on the chest of all the jerseys. Also, my personal favorite part of this redesign, I brought the drop shadow back. Pants are very simple. Used the baseball interlocking FS on the hips. 

Hockey - I haven't a "traditional" college hockey jersey in a while (wordmark over number). Mainly because there hasn't really been a team that I think needed one. But Fresno State has a gorgeous wordmark and it just felt right. Valley Stripes on the sleeves and the hems. Bulldog logo and Valley logos on the shoulders. 2 sets of pants: red and navy, both with the FS on the front of the pant legs. Also two helmets, red and white. 

Baseball - Baseball I thought was the least offensive of the existing uniforms. Nevertheless, made some changes so they all fit in. Bulldogs script on the front of all the jerseys. Simple placket piping also on all three jerseys. Two sets of hats/helmets, red and white and all navy. Sleeves have the Valley Stripes along with the socks. 

Basketball -  Finally to the basketball court, you're not gonna see anything new from the previous three uniforms. I brought back side panels, this time in the form of stripes,  reminiscent of the uniforms from Paul George's days at Fresno State. Arched Bulldogs on the home, Arched/Stacked Fresno State on the road, and Bulldogs script on the alternate. The alternate uniform is just a stripped down version of the home and road uniforms without the side stripes. 

C&C is welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

NTAvPZK.png

RPSIoN0.png GtwUNd5.png

RyBqm37.png rjKJW2H.png

Rounding out this week is the second half of a Mountain West double feature with the Wyoming Cowboys. Depending on who you ask, they either have a unique color scheme or the ugliest in the FBS. IMO, I think they make the most of the colors and create something unique. Uniforms however took a sharp turn when they jumped to Adidas this past year which I thought was a shame because they finally had rounded into something unique in their final two years with Nike. A lot of those elements get used here/brought back here. 

Football - Oh they had a great look going for them and then they jumped to the Three Stripes. Not that the current uniforms are super bad, they just don't feel like Wyoming. So anyways. The Cowboys have always been a white primary helmet team to me so that doesn't change. Cowboy logo on both sides, pointy stripe down the middle. Kept the alternate brown helmet on with the stripes down the middle as well. The jerseys have a simpler pointy stripe on the sleeves, simpler here meaning one pointy section opposed to two. Wyoming font for the numbers, pants have the double pointy stripe going down the sides.

Hockey - Hockey observes many of the same changes as football does. The sleeves get the singular pointy stripes, the hems get the double points. All three jerseys get the Cowboy logo on the chest. Pants have the dbl points on the sides, socks get the single points on them. 

Baseball - Baseball joins with the rest of the sports in the new look. Primary hat is brown/gold with the cowboy logo on the front panel, alternate hat is the inverse colorway with the W logo on the front panel. Much like the other sports, the jerseys get the single point stripes on the sleeves. Home has Cowboys, Away has Wyoming and the alternate jersey has the shorter Wyo on the chest, all accompanied with the player's number underneath it. Pants all have the double stripe. I thought about adding colored pants, reasoning that if my Padres concept could do it, why couldn't the similarly colored Cowboys do it? but after actually trying it, it was ugly and didn't work the same. 

Basketball - The hardwood gave me struggles. The pointy stripes didn't work going around the arms so basketball is the only sport to not actually get the singular stripe (technically the shorts do only have one point, which is from the continuation of the double stripes on the jerseys so technically there isn't even a double pointy stripe, but lets be real, it just semantics). So anyways, stripes around the collar and the arms, pointy stripes down the sides of the jerseys that continues down onto the shorts. Cowboy logo on the lower end of the shorts. 

C&C welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Always hoping for feedback, but nevertheless, gonna keep trucking along with these: 

Pa1pDtf.png

Today we welcome the newest FBS members, who I believe as of this coming season is bowl eligible. Looks wise, they have a pretty box standard, catalog aesthetic to them. Basketball somehow has a unique font that I unfortunately could not really track down enough to make use of. They have a great logo set though, which gets good use here. I was a big fan of the flame motif from the flaming bird logo which became a focal point of the designs. 

Pber8gO.png F5sRmcz.png

AL11i5y.png HJAkSyy.png

Football - Leading us off is the gridiron Flames, who currently wear recolors of Oregon State's uniforms. I kept the white helmet with a red facemask and white helmet only. Triple stripe with a flame cutout in the back. Full LU logo on both sides. Jerseys have the same helmet stripes down the sleeves a la racing stripe style. Flames on the chest of all three uniforms. Pants continue a newly established trend with the flame stripe down the side of the pants. 

Hockey - little did I know, Liberty has a full ACHA compliment of teams. All 3 divisions for the Men's and I believe it was D1 and D2 for the women. They also have a unified look which also is cool. You know what else is cool? These uniforms for the imaginary NCAA d1 team :) These start out much the same as the football uniforms do. White helmets across the board for all the uniforms. Full LU logo on all the jerseys. These are the first hockey uniforms to have a front number. Made it almost 44 teams in before that happened so that's wild. Pants have the flame stripe, socks have the simple triple stripe. 

Baseball - I went the pullover route for them. Racing flame stripes down the sleeves like the previous uniforms. One color Flames on the home white, Liberty on the road reds. On the navy alternates, I tried something a little different. With the flaming bird logo being longer than it is tall, i made it function like a script logo. Pants, of which there is just white, has the flame stripe down the pant leg.

Basketball - For basketball, did a lot of the same things. Triple stripes on the shoulders, which continues under the arms with the full flame stripe. Flames on the home white, Liberty on the road reds and did the same thing on the navy alt as I did for baseball. Shorts have a colored waistband with the flame stripe down the sides and the full LU logo on the front of waistband. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived