The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve finally had some time to look through all of these, and I must say, this series is absolutely phenomenal! The amount of work that has clearly gone into this is astounding, and every single team is designed with amazing creativity, there honestly isn’t much at all I’d change with any team. If you had the authority to design all of the NCAA’s uniforms, the league would be in a pretty great place. Wonderful work throughout, can’t wait to see what you have up next!

7zodYZG.png

Ff1i3EV.png VRnN4dl.png

9YwTmOZ.png P25Pp2W.png

Under Armour has done a fantastic job of creating identities for their schools. Alternates are a bit of a rougher story but for home/away, I'd argue that no one is doing that job better than UA right now. Which made Cincy really easy to do.  Especially since they just recently regressed their football uniforms a few notches for the upcoming season. 

Football - So like I said, the football uniforms for the Bearcats have taken a step back, moving the Cincy Stripe to the collar bones, minimizing them. I didn't like it so I decided to fix it. Helmets have the Cincinnati Stripe down the middle, accompanied by the C-Claw logo on both sides. I was not a fan of the red helmet. I can't explain why, but it just wasn't a good look in my opinion. So the red helmet goes away, but I am a sucker for dark helmets with lighter facemasks, think TCU black chrome helmet type thing. So the black helmet comes with a red facemask, white helmet with a black facemask. On the jerseys, I basically brought back the previous stripe style to the sleeves. The stripe ends on the slant on the front and flat against the back seams. CINCINNATI wordmark on the chest of the home and away, BEARCATS on the red alternate. Kept the font, but italicized it a litttttle bit. Pants have the double Cincy stripes down the sides. 

Hockey - The hockey look sort of got away from me, IMO. I did the double stripes all the way around the uniform, arms and hems. I used the singular stripe up near the collarbones, since I didn't think it work on the collars. C-Claw logo on the chests of all 3. Black and white helmets, probably interchangeable, but honestly hopefully not. One set of pants, with said double stripes down the sides. The only alternate that really deviates, because I think it was the only place it worked. I switched the stripes to ones that move down the sleeves, a la Philadelphia Flyers-ish style. Added a much maligned chest number, partly due to the club team's use of them and that way the TV numbers don't interrupt the stripe. 

Baseball - Kept it simple, and very easy to follow for baseball. One helmet/hat combo, it just felt right to only have one set. I can't quite explain why. But black/red helmets and hats. Jerseys get the Cincy stripes on the sleeves. CINCINNATI on the home/away., BEARCATS on the alternate. Cartoon Bearcat logo on the back of the jerseys up near the collar. Pants have the single Cincy Stripe down the sides, socks have the double Cincy stripes. 

Basketball - With UA releasing a new template that a few teams have modeled already, a change is likely imminent for Cincy basketball. What does that mean here? *cue Wolf of Wall Street voice* Absolutely :censored: nothing. I added Cincy stripes to go around the arms on the jerseys to go along with with the matching collar stripes. On the shorts, doubled up the stripes on the waistband so now its the double CIncy stripes. Rather than do anything traditional, I went with some diagonal stripes on the sides of the shorts. 

C&C welcome as always!

On 8/5/2019 at 11:10 AM, Dan O'Mac said:

The big logo on the baseball helmet is awesome! I assume there was no way to make it work with the hockey sets?

Speaking from experience, football and baseball helmets for the most part have minimal edges and vent holes so applying a big logo to those is relatively easy. A hockey helmet on the other hand has so many, bumps, ridges and vents that you'd end up losing a lot of the logo. Of course that might be a problem limited to BSU's logo, since Arizona State is doing the big logo on hockey helmets now. 

On 8/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, MJD7 said:

I’ve finally had some time to look through all of these, and I must say, this series is absolutely phenomenal! The amount of work that has clearly gone into this is astounding, and every single team is designed with amazing creativity, there honestly isn’t much at all I’d change with any team. If you had the authority to design all of the NCAA’s uniforms, the league would be in a pretty great place. Wonderful work throughout, can’t wait to see what you have up next!

Thank you! it really means a lot to hear this. It took a long time to get this project to a point where I thought it was ready to be seen here and I'm glad people are really enjoying it. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit busy transferring colleges, but that process is almost complete and the next team up is complete. 

GuSb0Ia.png

zcQPCmG.png IMWJ91n.png

aAkSZYW.png c0Bwpn2.png

Compared to Adidas, Under Armour nailed it. Everything came out looking perfect, a modern take on a classic college. I do wish that Clarendon was included somehow, on my concepts included, but the new font ended up working better IMO. Not a whole lot changes however, owing to the classic feel of UCLA, also due to the fact that they have a :censored:-ton of championships. Biggest change is that all teams now use the old gold, which I thought would be distinct from USC's shade of gold. 

Football - A pretty easy set to work on, these see really no changes. Classic gold helmet with blue UCLA on the side. Jerseys have the UCLA stripes in the same places they've always been, numbers on the sleeves. Pants are simple with no stripes, UCLA on the sides. No full alternate jersey set, but a white helmet and white pants to add in to the mix. Only change there is no more stripes on the white pants. They feel out of place IRL and felt out of place here on the concepts. 

Hockey - Probably the least traditional of the sports here, hockey actually borrows a lot from the club team. Basically the biggest change there is the addition of shoulder stripes which aren't a traditional hockey jersey feature, but I thought it would be unique and would fit UCLA. Like football, pants are stripeless. Two helmets, gold and white. No alternate set here. 

Baseball - Like football, not much change was necessary. Biggest change was that baseball now uses the football shade of gold. Placket striping, sleeve striping. Home says BRUINS, away says UCLA. There is an option for a gold batting helmet, as well as a blue batting helmet. Hats are all blue with the B logo on the front. Pants have the same stripe as everyone else has gotten. Alternate here is pinstriped. No sleeve stripes but pants have the stripes. Options for striped socks or non striped socks. 

Basketball - Fun fact, when Adidas first unveiled the tire-tread football jerseys, I made a really bad joke about it being in reference to the fact that (i thought) UCLA's basketball team was the only successful team at the University. Boyyyy was that a rough time reading through those replies. But I was young then, and I've grown up now. Plus as a Boise State fan I don't get the luxury of National Championships. Anyways, really the only change was switching the yellows. Same striping around the arms, neck, waistband, shorts and bottom of the shorts. No need to change what doesn't need it. 

C&C welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

UCLA looks good! A classic set all-around that doesn’t need much change. I would probably prefer to see the Clarendon numbers (as it would make them feel less “Under Armour,” since that’s immediately what I think of when I see those block numbers), but that’s just a personal thing. Nice work!

13 hours ago, MJD7 said:

UCLA looks good! A classic set all-around that doesn’t need much change. I would probably prefer to see the Clarendon numbers (as it would make them feel less “Under Armour,” since that’s immediately what I think of when I see those block numbers), but that’s just a personal thing. Nice work!

You guys ever heard of the Great Clarendon Compromise of 2019? 

uWz1vwT.png cCJXA0q.png

OdCOgb2.png gXexY7N.png

In some weird way, the Clarendon numbers somehow work better with the block letters than the block numbers do. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Love it! I agree, the Clarendon numbers help to add that little bit of “flair,” even on the mostly block basketball set. Well done!

Edit: Also, as a sidenote, the baseball jerseys look great as-is, but I wonder if you could maybe be able to get the “UCLA stripes” to work on that template as well, like you did for hockey. Either way, it’s a great, classic look.

Part of this series has been hallmarked to me by how easy some teams were to design and how hard others were. UCLA and this next team are a perfect example of that contrast. 

T3O176g.png

FCjTQFC.png ZgIrRK7.png

FGb8ou2.png o4fxOgI.png

NMSU was hard as hell to get a design in mind. They've been largely irrelevant in a lot of sports, which I don't mean as an insult, it's just kind of the truth. So as a result, they've never really had a signature look to build off of which made things difficult to place across the four sports. Luckily, football unveiled some brand new white uniforms which I put together with their current UA uniforms and thus this look was born. 

Football - So to get us all started, the primary helmet shell stays dark red, with NMSU's own Pistol Pete on both sides. I've liked how the Aggies have really added in black to the scheme, so the facemasks are black. Zia symbol from the New Mexico on the back of the helmets. Jerseys have that combo of Colts stripes and what they have with UA for shoulder stripes, with a new State outline logo on both sleeves. NMSU custom font for the wordmark and numbers on the jerseys. Pants have the same style stripe down the side of the pants, with Pistol Pete on the front hip of the pants. All black alternate, helmet has the new state logo on the side. Basically all the same stuff as the home/away jerseys just on a black jersey. 

Hockey - NMSU has literally zero hockey history to build uniforms off of. That was real interesting to get these uniforms done. So I kinda took them in a slightly modern direction with a stripe style that takes the shoulder stripes and stretches them out across the whole upper sleeve. Pistol Pete graces the front of the home and away jerseys. State logo on one shoulder, ZIa symbol on the other. Black uniform replaces Pistol with the State logo and puts him on the shoulder. One set of pants, and two different helmets. 

Baseball - Rather than just stick the design on the sleeves in a traditional way, I angled them off on the top of the sleeves in the name of modernism. Hats/helmets of which there are two. Maroon(?)/black with Pistol Pete and black/maroon(?) with the state logo on the front. Slanted stripes like I mentioned, AGGIES on the home with the number underneath, NM STATE on the road, also with the number underneath. Zia symbol on the right sleeve. State logo on the back near the collar. Alternates replace the wordmarks with the State logo, and Pistol takes its place on the back of the jersey. Pants have the same style striping down the side. 

Basketball - Finally, to the hardwood. Basketball ends up looking a lot like football. Big stripes around the sleeves, single color collar stripe. AGGIES on the home, NM STATE (couldn't do the full thing, even stacked, due to size) on the away and alternate. Zia symbol on the back by the collar. Pants have the same stripe down the side, with all 3 having the State logo on the waistband.

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I really like the NMSt concept, my only idea though would to put the NM from the NM State inside the state logo on the baseball cap alone, instead of the full primary, that or just the man, not the full workmark and everything 

Edit, oh and also, put numbers instead of the alt logo on the sleeve caps for football.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

20 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I really like the NMSt concept, my only idea though would to put the NM from the NM State inside the state logo on the baseball cap alone, instead of the full primary, that or just the man, not the full workmark and everything 

Edit, oh and also, put numbers instead of the alt logo on the sleeve caps for football.

NKG0D7h.png pjz5usL.png

For football, put the numbers on the sleeves and moved the state logo to right under the collar. For baseball, tried the lone NM and I didn't like it, so changed it to their Pistol Pete. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

New Mexico's set looks fresh. But (like subway) don't get too comfortable with the idea of "fresh" 

10/10 would watch them play (if they faced UW)

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DH7Oo9l.png

shCeLgh.png 6KJOULh.png

GiRYJAO.png Kg6dHlZ.png

Football - A more classic look for a pretty classic team IMO. Largely based on what they wear now but with some much needed improvements. First off, no changes to the normal helmets. Keeping it the same as possible because we saw the previous attempts at that and it wasn't well received. You'll notice over the white uniforms the Red Bandana helmets. Inspirational story if you don't already know it, so I felt it was appropriate to bring that back with accompanying socks and cleats. Jerseys no longer have the alternate colored sleeve caps but retain the same stripe style. According to ACC-Tracker.com, BC hasn't worn a gold jersey since 2014. I am in fact bringing one back. Also because I love the Flutie era throwbacks, they stay on, and also mean that every team gets a historical-inspired uniform. 

Hockey - If one sport changes less here, its likely hockey. Other than an obvious template jump there's not much more that is different. Other than the gold uniform which now mirrors the home and away uniforms rather than being more of a fauxback. The new throwback comes from the early 1970's with a large eagle on the chest (i don't know if I got it accurate but finding good quality throwback logos for BC was a hellacious task), and the throwback BC logo on the upper chest. Helmet info for those days was hard to come by, so I just used the red helmet and the gloves in those days appeared white in the black and white photos so they get white gloves on these. 

Baseball - Again, kept it rather simple with the same stripe style on the sleeves. EAGLES on the home, the stacked and arched BC doesn't work for me on the roads so the interlocked BC gets the nod here. There's two different hats. Maroon/gold with the full BC logo, and all maroon with just the BC. They currently have a gold pullover v-neck that I think looks really good, so it stays with minimal changes. The throwback here was a bit of a rough one for me. I found the jersey that you see, but literally nothing else. So the hat, pants, socks and cleats were a total guess for me, so this one falls more into the fauxback category I guess you could say. 

Basketball - Basketball gets a pretty big simplification from what they wear currently IRL. I stripped things down to the basics, with the same stripes around the neckline and arms. EAGLES on the home, stacked and arched BOSTON COLLEGE on the home and away. Shorts have a filled in waistband, same stripes toward the bottom of the shorts, with the BC logo on the sides. Throwback comes from the "Playing For the Mob" days, which isn't necessarily the greatest era to throwback to but I found more pictures of this era than I could of any other era. 

C&C Welcome!

On 8/28/2019 at 12:56 PM, WSU151 said:

I like the NM State stuff...but it's hard not to think South Carolina when looking at it. 

Have you done a UNM set (did I miss it)? 

I can definitely see how you see that, but I'm hoping that my SC concept will be different enough to differentiate the two.

Also you haven't missed the UNM concept, they're a little bit down the list but not too far away. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I get that there's visual similarity between New Mexico State and South Carolina. The problem I see is that there are a lot of teams, and there's bound to be some similarities. New Mexico State attempting to look like a more successful South Carolina team isn't unheard of.

I love when life gets busy.  Not sure if i mentioned this, or really if you guys really care but I know I mentioned a while back that I was exploring a transfer from Boise State then I wasn't anymore. Well after some thought about the matter, I ended up transferring out to NNU out in Nampa, ID (about 15-20 minutes by interstate on a good day/time from Boise) to complete my graphic design degree. It does kind of suck not being able to work for Boise State's football creative team anymore, but I'll take actually being able to get the degree I want over the job. 

Anyways, it's time for some MACtion. 

uAfneWk.png

NJ4mQnt.png SMbYADY.png

1Sz47Iv.png WtXA9J5.png

One of the most unique names in college sports and one of the most unique logo sets out there deserves some better than catalog uniforms right? Well I at least think so, and that's what y'all are gonna see. Hopefully they don't look too much like South Carolina 😉 *Tyrese Gibson voice* i'm just playin' 

Football - The primary helmet stays navy, with the full bodied Golden Flash on both sides. Worked in the alternate yellow lids with the same logo treatment. For the uniforms, I worked up a block number font with the same notches as the wordmarks, which admittedly has been done a lot in recent years, but I think works better tying it all together. So I cut the tail off the Golden Flash and warped it to wrap around the sleeve caps, starting in the front and terminating with a curve on the back. Alternate yellow jersey has colored in sleeve caps. Wordmarks on the front of the jerseys, new number font. Pants come in all colors, with the same tail type design doing a bit of a wrap thing on the bottom of the pants. 

Hockey - I struggled here a little bit with the curve of the tail. I'm still not sure if I got it right but I think I got it as best I could. Sleeve design does like football does, starts on the front and wraps and curves around the sleeve. Because of this, TV numbers go up to the shoulders. Full Golden Flash logo with wordmark underneath it, with the alternate getting the college hockey wordmark treatment with the number instead of the logo. Two colors of helmets, interchangeable if they so chose to do so. Pants have a similar motif like football. Socks and hem stripes have a stripe derived from the color blocking of the golden flash tail. If you look hard enough, it's there. 

Baseball - Despite some terrific script logos, these uniforms are so modern that the script logos felt very out of place on these. These are a lot like football's uniforms in a lot of ways. Two helmet/hat combos, both with the full logo on the front. Breaking it up looked wrong and bad. Jerseys have the flash tails on the sleeves, yellow alt with off-colored sleeves. Slightly angled the wordmarks which are both stacked because the words are rather long. Number underneath the wordmarks. Pants couldn't work in the flash tail, so the simpler stripe replaces it. 

Basketball - The hardwood also presented some challenges. I believe I mitigated them as best I could. On these, the Flash tail goes small to big, which I felt looked much better than going the other direction. Stacked wordmarks on all 3 uniforms with the number in the middle of all of them. Yellow jersey has a shoulder yoke for lack of better phrasing. Shorts have the simpler stripe on the waistband, logo on the front of the shorts, and the Flash tail on the side of the shorts. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Kent State looks fantastic! I love the colors and the use of the bolt. Although I’m interested in seeing what it would look like on the pants if it came out of the hip rather than the leg, if that makes sense. I would also shrink the shoulder flashes on the football uniform, just a tad so they don’t get cut off by the actual jersey. But otherwise I love it! Basketball in particular looks great, great use of the flashes!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived