The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/13/2019 at 8:49 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the school. I hope things work out. 

Miami looks great I must say. I really like the single wide striping. My lone suggestion would be to drop the wide stripe from the baseball pant leg and go with a solid red waist band. Not necessarily sansa belt but with a similar feel. 

JNkvnMB.png

Something kinda like this? 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of how busy my life is becoming but, let's keep going on this. 

QeR8D2f.png

LkxBLhH.png kTwU2kP.png

wfcdvIx.png 5N1CY3A.png

App State is in dire need of a brand makeover. The football team has come a long way from that 2007 stunner over Michigan, the other sports might still be catching up, but for a program on the rise, a unified brand would be a huge step. There are bits and pieces of football that I think work but there was still some work to be done. 

Football - For starters, simplified it down to two helmets: black and gold. On the sides of both is the Block A logo, without Mountaineers in the crossbar. Stripes do appear slightly different between the black jersey and the white/yellow jerseys. I tried out an all yellow stripe, a white and yellow stripe and it just didn't work how I wanted it to. So there is a bit of a visual discrepancy between stripes but I think it still all works out. Stripes on the sleeves like normal jerseys. Went with a block top font that matches the A logo. Pants have the same stripes with a mountain cut out of the bottom near the pants. 

Hockey - A lot of the same goes into these jerseys. Same stripes on the sleeves. Forgoed a hem stripe in favor of the mountains. Full Block A logo on the chest, numbers on the sleeves. One set of pants: black, and two helmets, black and gold. 

Baseball - Slightly more reserved than the rest of the sports. The mountain pattern here doesn't make its appearance until the yellow alternate jersey. Anyways, stripes are the same from the previous two sports. Two sets of hats/helmets, fairly straight forward there. Had to create a fully custom set of script logos as App State really doesn't have a super good set of script logos much at all. the yellow alt replaces the stripes with the mountains on the sleeves. Pants, of which there are one color have the stripes down the side. Socks are striped. 

Basketball - i wasn't sure what to do here, but then again when do I ever know what i'm doing with basketball. Stripes around the arms and single color around the collar. I actually like the Mountaineers script so it got arched and used here. Stripes are on the waistband as well as on the bottom of the shorts that get cut off by the mountains. 

Simple. Easy. Effective. and C&C is welcome as always. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to The 1972 Project: App. State Mountaineers
  • 2 weeks later...

My sense of time and getting things done is all wack, but on a brighter note, I don't have to leave Boise State. I just won't be (eventually 🙄)  graduating with a graphic design degree. Small price to pay I guess. 

wIYem0g.png

pvQMeuK.png 2f0ktlg.png

BKcN38x.png Qnqs0tn.png

In quite possibly what was the easiest set for me to design, I borrowed the design from the successful basketball team and applied to to more than one sport. I did create a bit of a Seahawks situation here with a team with four colors and makes use of the less vibrant tertiary color as a jersey color with the brighter color relegated to a trim color. But UCONN in a red jersey would just be wrong IMO. 

Football - I still contend that the stripe with the husky logo in it was one of the coolest helmets I've seen in a long time. I couldn't bring myself to bring that back so I settled for a design based on the basketball uniforms. 3 helmets, two with the C logo back on the sides, grey alternate with the husky logo on the side. Jerseys have the basketball stripe filling the sleeve caps, fonts don't change. Pants are basically the same as the basketball shorts with the Husky logo moved up to the hip. 

Hockey - I think it's been a while since I have designed a IRL Div.1 hockey team, but I could be wrong. Anyways. Took them in a new direction from what they wear now. I kept the college number over text treatment on the home and away. Made the stripes a little big bigger on the sleeves and did something different in place of the hem stripes. Stuck with two helmets this time, pants again are very close to IRL basketball shorts with the Husky logo in the stripe. 

Baseball - A touch more reserved than the rest of the set, had some crazier ideas in mind but kept them relegated to the alternate. Home and away have larger than average stripes but not fully encompassing the sleeves. UCONN on the chest of both with the number underneath. contrasting placket piping. Husky logo up near the collar on the back. Pants have what would appear to be a cutoff pants stripe. Alternate is a grey sleeveless set with full on stripes on the undershirt, along with a grey hat/helmet set. 

Basketball - Not much to say here. kept things pretty much the same since they were the inspiration for it all. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Looks great! I really like that C logo/font and striping, the UConn set always looks classy. But, I always thought the Husky head was a downgrade, what would it look like with the older husky head (still keeping the red and navy) just substitute the heads out.

One of my favorite looks so far, it’s great!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I think the Husky head should be front and center with this rebrand, it’s such a distinctive logo and stands out better than the C logo, IMO. I think it’d be cool to do a throwback look with the old logo and and use powder blue as the main color

That's what- She

7 hours ago, mamiller99 said:

I think the Husky head should be front and center with this rebrand, it’s such a distinctive logo and stands out better than the C logo, IMO. I think it’d be cool to do a throwback look with the old logo and and use powder blue as the main color

Disagree with the husky head. I think it's a rather weak logo for UCONN and is fine as a secondary. The block C is a lot better, but like Syracuse, could always be more. 

I think this set looks really good, just what I'd expect to see UCONN wearing. UCONN and Syracuse are really a lot alike in my mind as they both have struggled to have a great look over the years, even with using very common color schemes.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Hey man I've been browsing and enjoying this thread thoroughly. Don't sweat the school stuff, I was in the same-ish situation with the first school I attended: lost my athletic scholarship, passed one class during a semester and had to leave. You'll find where you belong and turn it around when you're supposed to, there's no rush to these things. You will find a spot where it'll be a million times better for yourself, I know I did. It may suck now but you have a lot of good days ahead.

That being said, I have been a secret fan of the AAC and UCONN for a while and I really enjoy this football and hockey combo. The helmet stripe works really well here and I think you did a fantastic job. Looking forward to more.

For the grey hockey alt, what would the stripes look like coming down the sleeve? I think it could be a good look if it stops just past the elbow. Long navy blue stripe and then red stripe at the bottom with grey in between. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 hours ago, Tyrano123 said:

Hey man I've been browsing and enjoying this thread thoroughly. Don't sweat the school stuff, I was in the same-ish situation with the first school I attended: lost my athletic scholarship, passed one class during a semester and had to leave. You'll find where you belong and turn it around when you're supposed to, there's no rush to these things. You will find a spot where it'll be a million times better for yourself, I know I did. It may suck now but you have a lot of good days ahead.

That being said, I have been a secret fan of the AAC and UCONN for a while and I really enjoy this football and hockey combo. The helmet stripe works really well here and I think you did a fantastic job. Looking forward to more.

Thank you. It's been a really rough almost month, by now, to be told that I wasn't good enough to continue learning graphic design, despite a near decade of actually being a designer. It does suck, but I did find an alternative path. At the end of the day, I can't keep bitching about it. Boise State doesn't tell me I'm a graphic designer, I know I'm a graphic designer. thanks again for the kind words and the support. 

10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

For the grey hockey alt, what would the stripes look like coming down the sleeve? I think it could be a good look if it stops just past the elbow. Long navy blue stripe and then red stripe at the bottom with grey in between. 

BzGwdXh.png

That was actually my first idea but I couldn't figure out a good width for the stripes but I knew there would be a good reason to keep it. 

On 6/4/2019 at 7:18 AM, Clintau24 said:

Disagree with the husky head. I think it's a rather weak logo for UCONN and is fine as a secondary. The block C is a lot better, but like Syracuse, could always be more. 

I think this set looks really good, just what I'd expect to see UCONN wearing. UCONN and Syracuse are really a lot alike in my mind as they both have struggled to have a great look over the years, even with using very common color schemes.

Agreed. The new husky logo isn't bad but the block C to me is more UConn than any of their husky logos, past or present. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

Moving southwest from Storrs to Philly, we move along to the Temple Owls

StTVuC6.png

Aif4AGc.png QzdLrrF.png

wJNQkKj.png EnW8uRO.png

The header is a bit misleading with the block design but the diamonds are just as much a design feature for Temple that I wanted to use. So congrats to Temple, you get two things to focus on design-wise here. Otherwise, my take on Temple is that I am not the biggest fan of their current football uniforms. The diamonds on the block stripes just doesn't work for me. But I like both, like I said, just not combined. 

Football - For football, two helmets, no more stripes. Simple T's on both sides. Cherry helmet and white helmet, each with alternating facemasks from the shell color. Jerseys have the diamond pattern on the collar and as the sleeve stripe. I tried the block stripe on the sleeves but it just didn't look good. I kept the font pretty damn close to the same as what they have now. Pants have the simplified blocks, like they have had for quite a long time in some capacity. I also am not a fan of a black helmet for Temple so black stays around as a jersey color, just not a helmet color. 

Hockey - As we head to the ice, everything is a lot like what came from football. Diamond stripes on the collar, hems and the sleeves. T logo worked fine on the chest for the home and away but it didn't work out on the alternate black uniform. So to combat that, I borrowed from baseball a little bit and used a script wordmark instead which I think worked out. Much like football, the black alternate does not come with a black helmet. 

Baseball - Much like everything else, diamond stripes on the sleeves and around the collar. Placket piping accompanies the collar striping. Script Owls and Temple on the jerseys, T logo on the back above the number. Pants have the blocky stripes down the sides. 

Basketball - In conclusion, diamond stripes on the rounded collar, and the arms. TEMPLE on the home and away jerseys, script OWLS on the black alternates. Shorts are pretty simple with the blocks on the sides, T on the front right of the shorts. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Lz01z34.png

9funeUg.png tiKbpGv.png

ABqIytG.png iigpi28.png

It's odd that I used Oklahoma as rationale to slightly modernize their rivals to the south. I figured that if the Sooners could receive a proprietary font for themselves, then why couldn't Texas? 

Football - I didn't try and modernize the Longhorns too much. White helmet, and facemask with the Longhorn on the side as it should be. Biggest deviation from tradition might be the switch to the new font on the helmet.  Jerseys remain largely intact and the same. Same double stripes on the sleeves, Longhorn on the collar. Biggest change here is the new Texas wordmark and font. Basically everything stays the same but there are now, for lack of a better term, Western font spokes(?), on the letters and numbers. Pants now have the same stripes, which IIRC has historical precedence. Black socks and shoes at home, white and white for the road. and now to the elephant in the room, yep, Texas is back and in black uniforms. When it came to the alternate options, I really wasn't sure what to do and I did settle on a black option. Basketball has worn a black uniform in the past and so I decided to apply it to the rest of the sports. In full honesty, it was simply a recolor with some white added in. 

Hockey - We take to the ice and the Ice'd up Longhorns take on a look that very much so is reminiscent of what football established. Double stripes on the sleeves and the hem. Numbers on the sleeves. I did a Vancouver and put the wordmark above the logo, luckily TEXAS is much easier to manage than VANCOUVER is. White helmets at home and away, Black for the black alternate uniform. Pants have the same double stripe and so do the socks to match everything else. 

Baseball - I was a big fan of the recent unveil of the new Texas baseball uniforms and so much of those came into these. I didn't keep all 9 or so uniforms they came out with but bits and pieces stuck around. For the home uniforms, straight across TEXAS with the double stripes on the sleeves and pants. All-burnt orange hat with the new T on the front panel. Away uses the new script but with an added tail, reminiscent of the Clemens-era uniforms. White hat, burnt orange brim with the T on the front. Black alternate jersey with arc'ed TEXAS on the front, complete with all black hat with two-colored T. 

Basketball - For basketball, a bit of a change from what is real. Single color stripe on the collars, with the double striping on the arm holes. Straight across Texas on the home and away, arced on the alternate. Single color piping down the sides of the jerseys onto the shorts. Double stripes on the hem of the shorts. 

C&C welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I would remove the arched Texas on the hockey jerseys and shrink the logo a bit. The Longhorn logo is iconic enough to stand alone on the jersey, and right now it is being crammed with the arched Texas. The logo is also really big right now. Other than that this is a good, simple look that Texas should have.

Archived