The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Wow Alabama has hockey?

Yup. Auburn and Alabama (and some other SEC teams) have hockey. They're just club teams for the most part down here. So many have that same reaction when they realize it.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Spring Break no longer means an actual break anymore. Was hoping to have Baylor up sooner than this but oh well. 

ZzkiDJ2.png

Baylor presented a unique challenge already. They have sports that all use different colors and manufacturers. Football uses Nike and old gold, Baseball uses a brighter gold and Under Armour, Basketball used to be with Adidas and used the brighter gold and now they're with Nike and use neon! And as for hockey, they play North Stars dress up (at least according to google images) so they have the wrong green and gold(s). So now it's time to figure out how to unify all this madness and chaos. 

So first thing here was what gold to use. I personally prefer the brighter gold than the old gold, but with Iowa State and West Virginia being in the conference and keeping a similar shade of gold/yellow, I thought it best to stay with the old gold. With the gold problem solved, I then moved on to where to go from a design standpoint. I liked the redesign the football team received a few years back and wondered how that could apply to more than one sport. 

1hTAxJu.png  CUgGzdQ.png

6EJfWuI.png 6DQS8IS.png

Football -   As I said above, I like the current state of Baylor football uniforms, but I still did make a few changes. The gold helmet remains pretty much the same but I gave the stripe the claw at the back of the stripe on the helmet kinda Cal Bears style. Also the green helmet gets stripes as well as the black helmet. Yes I'm keeping Baylor in black. The jerseys don't really change, save for the black jersey which gets more green. I know that the green and black are hard to distinguish, but I thought that the jersey should at least have more of the team colors on it. 

Hockey - Carrying on the motifs set by the football jerseys, hockey gets the triple stripe with the bear claw in the middle of it. The pants have the same stripe as the football pants. I love that stripe. I don't fully get it but it screams Baylor to me now. Beyond that, nothing too out of the ordinary. 

Baseball - Baseball comes to Nike now, and fits in quite nicely. Even though the font is usually vertically arched, I liked the way it looked when simply arced so I rolled with that. Sleeve stripes are clawed in the middle. Pants have the same pant striping as everyone else and Baylor becomes the first team in the series to have colored baseball pants. I figured if all the other teams can blackout, why not baseball? 

Basketball - I'm not quite as sure on these as the rest. I took the stripe and put it on the side, with the claw at the bottom since the middle didn't quite make sense here. As for the shorts, I ran with the same stripe pattern as the rest. 

C&C welcome! I'll try not to be away as long moving forward :D

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I’m a longtime Baylor fan and I’m sad that there isn’t neon anymore, it represented Baylor’s best basketball moments, the elite eight and NIT championship. No it’s not a main color but a good accent color, and it makes them unique. 

Excellent!

4 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I’m a longtime Baylor fan and I’m sad that there isn’t neon anymore, it represented Baylor’s best basketball moments, the elite eight and NIT championship. No it’s not a main color but a good accent color, and it makes them unique. 

Well now knowing that I feel like an a--hole for removing neon from the basketball uniforms. So lets change that. 

nlYCibJ.png 53fS3rw.png

So for the non basketball teams, they all get an all green uniform with black and neon accents. All of these uniform bits would stay together and not separated from these uniforms. Neon is worn with neon alone. 

seak589.png

And because of it's significance to basketball, they get a white version as well as a green, this time with green and neon accents. 

I get that Baylor basketball is really the only team with any real claim to the color but given the nature of this thread, what I do to one, I do to the rest (within the range of my abilities) 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

Well now knowing that I feel like an a--hole for removing neon from the basketball uniforms. So lets change that. 

nlYCibJ.png 53fS3rw.png

So for the non basketball teams, they all get an all green uniform with black and neon accents. All of these uniform bits would stay together and not separated from these uniforms. Neon is worn with neon alone. 

seak589.png

And because of it's significance to basketball, they get a white version as well as a green, this time with green and neon accents. 

I get that Baylor basketball is really the only team with any real claim to the color but given the nature of this thread, what I do to one, I do to the rest (within the range of my abilities) 

That is a great unique look. Baylor could use these to turn the page on the previous controversies with their athletic department. Ditching gold would be cool

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

On 4/4/2018 at 7:48 AM, Lights Out said:

Pretty good overall, but there is a major flaw with the basketball uniforms. The bear claws on the sides would be tucked into the shorts the way you have it now. It would make more sense to put the bear claws at the bottom of the shorts stripes instead of on the jerseys.

Q102uRj.png gkS3GwH.png

My basketball career was so short that I forgot that the jerseys get tucked in. All the jerseys except the black one, since the claw was never on the stripe to begin with, get the claw moved to the shorts. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

New week, no more homework (for now at least) and a new team: 

GkC2CYS.png

Ah Wazzu. Almost ended up going to school there until I did some research on their club hockey team and decided to stay home. Anyways, story about me aside, I was not a fan of their football team's addition by subtraction uniforms they unveiled for this season. I didn't see anything wrong with their previous uniforms, which were a few tweaks away IMO from being perfect. They had a unique feel to them, even being as simple as they were before they were simplified further, which I hope to extend to multiple sports. Let's dive in: 

dIykSQU.png 4UMK5PI.png

N4sitRm.png wQzyu4W.png

I love the shoulder stripes that Wazzu used to have. Also I loved the use of two shades of grey. However I didn't like how they used it together. I think that if they're going to use both greys, they should stay separate. However that's just my opinion and I could be very wrong. Also, all the uniforms have a memorial patch for Tyler Hilinksi. Much like the Humboldt Broncos tragedy and how it has hurt the hockey world, the news about Tyler hit the college football world hard and nowhere harder than Washington State. It's an incredibly sad situation and I wish the family the best as they move forward. 

Football - So back to the uniform world, I was not a fan of the regression these uniforms took. However there were aspects I did like from them. For the helmets, nothing really changed a whole lot. The WSU cougar is still on the sides. 3 of the 4 helmets have a red facemask which I think helps with the problem that the new uniforms didn't mesh together. Jerseys get the shoulder stripes back as well as the WASHINGTON STATE and COUGARS scripts back on the front of two jerseys each. I kept the one color numbers because I liked the way it looks on the new jerseys. Pants get the stripe back again, as well as the WSU cougar logo on the front of the pants. 

Hockey - The club hockey team uses the old AZ Coyotes uniforms with the appropriate colors. That didn't really fit what I was doing here. These uniforms get the Cougar stripe on the sleeves and a single stripe on the hem. The pants were going to get the Cougar stripe but for some reason it just didn't look good. I can't explain it but it just didn't look like the stripe fit there, so the pants are blank with the exception of the WSU cougar on the front of the pants. The dark grey uniform gets the cawlidge hawkey treatment with the arched script and number underneath it and the WSU logo on the shoulders. 

Baseball - The baseball team has good uniforms as they exist now, but again, that doesn't fit what I'm working on here. I knocked around the idea of doing stripes similar to the football team but in the end it didn't work out. So the stripes ended up on the sleeves, with some collar striping included. I got a little more creative with the grey alts. The light grey has the cougar logo and the darker grey has the arched WSU script. I was just trying something different and I like the way it turned out. 

Basketball - Finally, for basketball. They have rather simple uniforms and I didn't see the need to change that. The cougar stripe is done around the sleeves and up the shorts. COUGARS graces the front of the home and away uniforms. For the light grey uniforms, I don't care if its "taboo" or "not how basketball uniforms are supposed to look" but I put the cougar logo on the front and for the dark grey uniform, you guessed it, WSU on the chest. 

C&C welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Don't normally like posting 3 times in a row, but when you have 130(ish) teams you hope to get through, you gotta keep moving forward. 

4X9k6r0.png

Old Dominion: Not normally a team you see in a concept thread or as a concept by itself. Which I think is a shame because I think they have a good identity, but uniform wise, a little too catalog built for my liking. 

TcbGM2M.jpg  pTjga4c.png

bdWchua.png  iB94ARU.png

So the story behind this set of designs is not paying attention in class and doing research on Old Dominion uniforms. I used their knockoff Navy helmet as a base for the design, but didn't want to use it because that helmet belongs to Navy. I also wanted to get more of their light blue into their uniforms. 

Football - The return to Nike brings a more unique look to the gridiron. I took the stripe built off the Navy-knockoffs and slapped it everywhere. A rule I have here is I'm not doing chrome helmets, but chrome facemasks and logos aren't out of the question. All the helmets have a chrome grey facemask. Navy and white have the ODU crown logo and the grey has the shielded lion logo. Jerseys have the stripe applied to the whole sleeve cap, Old Dominion wordmark on the chest. I found a number font that I felt was a good fit to the brand. Pants have the block stripe down them. 

Hockey - I almost took a Mighty Ducks approach to this but in the end it didn't work out with the way the stripe is built so I used a little of the pre-edge Penguins look as the base for these. Again, navy and white unis get the crown logo, grey gets the shield. Not much more to say about these. 

Baseball - These got a little crazy. I kept the stripe slanted like on the hockey jerseys and left them slanted so they go all the way up onto the back. A little different for baseball but it's college and we're allowed to have fun in college. However the wordmarks didn't work for the jerseys, so again the crowns go with the home and away and the shield goes with the grey. Pants have the blocky stripe. 

Basketball - These ended up being my favorite. The home and away felt more reserved in the jerseys but nonetheless scream ODU. Again, the wordmarks didn't fit the jerseys but the ODU sans shield did so all the jerseys ended up with them. the home and away get the stripes down the sides, and get some arm hole striping. The away gets a more angular design on the jerseys. The shorts get an angular design across the board. The home and away get the shield logo on the leg and the wordmark above the stripes. The alt shorts get the state logo where the wordmark was. 

C&C welcome! I realize I forgot to update the links in the first post. I'll take care of that and update the uniform picker when I can!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

zPpkUsN.png

The Aggies have been treated really well by Adidas. Except for basketball in my opinion. I like the direction that the Stripes took their football team in and baseball as well. Basketball not so much. 

6I8b684.png lLInuvZ.png

BwAApna.png QD5aITZ.png

The football racing stripes played a large role in this and became the focal point of the designs. Also I use grey to separate A&M from Miss. State, even though Miss. State has started to use grey as well. 

Football - Like I said, the football look played a large roll in this. As a result, their look remains largely unchanged. Biggest change is the addition of a helmet stripe. I always felt that was the one missing thing from their look. Also added a grey uniform set with the grey helmet with the State-TAMU logo on the side. Other than that, nothing much changes. 

Hockey - So I would have had the chance to play the A&M Club Hockey team, but a collapsed lung changed my plans there. I looked at their uniforms, I do like them, but for the purpose of this thread, they have to change. So they came out looking a lot like the Maple Leafs new look, and this was before I added the shoulder stripes. The grey uniform also has the State-TAMU logo. 

Baseball - I love the baseball look for A&M, the throwback look especially. So for these, I added the racing stripes to the shoulders, AGGIES on the home, TEXAS A&M on the roads, and State logo and number on the alts. I thought about colored pants but it didn't look as good as I thought so just white and grey pants. 

Basketball -Basketball needs the most help. So for these, added the stripes to the shoulders, and I did some under the armholes as well. Colored in the waistbands and added the stripes to the bottoms of the shorts. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

We're 10 teams in! Hopefully with school ending I'll be able to get through these a lot faster before school starts up yet again. 

x0D0I6T.png

Michigan State has a beautiful sports identity. The 2010 refresh of their look really gave them a unique identity, except for their number font which has been appropriated by every team building a uniform on NikeTeam. I love their greek pattern and I personally don't think they use it enough. They keep it simple and unique all at the same time. 

Z7kH6hm.png Qx4eSFU.png 

AnBfuPg.png utTJYc6.png 

I think this is the first team I've done where all the sports are Division 1. I could still be wrong however. Anyways, I love the simplicity that Michigan State brings to the uniform table while also keeping things modern in a sense. So I sought to keep that intact. 

Football - I liked the refresh from a couple years ago that saw the elimination of the shoulder yokes and some other simplifications. In this case, I made the shoulder caps on the home and away opposite colors with the Greek pattern in the caps. The Greek pattern also invades the numbers. For the helmets, I kept things mostly the same. Greek pattern in the stripe, Spartan helmet on the sides and not much else there. I found the pants to be the weakest part of the current uniforms. So for these, I made a truncated stripe that goes about halfway up the leg. Greek pattern in there. For the alternates, I normally don't like going for a same color alternate but the Spartans have no business wearing a black uniform. So I went for a green, black, and bronze alternate. Big difference here is the alternate has a shoulder yoke like from uniforms past. The numbers don't have the pattern in them. Bronze helmet with Sparty on both sides.

Hockey - Hockey returns to a previous look with some new flair. I brought back the shoulder stripes but no pattern in those, it felt like too much. I limited the pattern to the striping that starts under the armpit and goes to the hem. I didn't do a white helmet because it just didn't look right for the Spartans. Pants have the same striping as football with the Greek pattern. For the alt, I gave them a black helmet and pants as I felt it flows better. 

Baseball - I wasn't quite sure what to do with baseball. I finally settled on a home/away set of vests with patterned undershirts. SPARTANS and the number on the home and away. Pants have the same stripe as everyone else. Green hat and helmet. Alternate is a normal jersey with the shoulders patterned in. Bronze helmet and hat. Green pants with the same stripe. Black socks to break up the all green. 

Basketball - NO MORE LIME GREEN. It was fun once and then got ugly real quick. The Greek pattern invades the hardwood in the arm striping and pants striping and numbers. SPARTANS across the board on the front of the jerseys. MSU shield on the back up near the collar. Alternate uniform is lime green-less and matches the rest of the alternates. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

One thing about your basketball concepts: if you're going to use armhole trim on the jerseys, you should also include collar trim to match. Otherwise, it looks imbalanced.

Beyond that, you did a great job with Michigan State. My one suggestion is to make the Greek pattern more subtle on the bronze alternates.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 5/1/2018 at 8:23 AM, Lights Out said:

One thing about your basketball concepts: if you're going to use armhole trim on the jerseys, you should also include collar trim to match. Otherwise, it looks imbalanced.

Beyond that, you did a great job with Michigan State. My one suggestion is to make the Greek pattern more subtle on the bronze alternates.

Given that these really are my first attempts at basketball concepts, I still feel like I have a lot to learn about basketball aesthetic. That being said, I agree with you 90% of the time with the collar/arm trim but I think in this case where the sleeves are the focal point with the pattern, it looks better without the collar striping. That's just my take on that. 

As for the alternate pattern, I'm not actually sure where to go with that: 

DadKcFH.png

So here's the hockey jersey with a black and green pattern instead of the black and gold. I'm not totally sure how I feel about this. I almost think this one is too subtle. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived