The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

Next up: Ole Miss Landsharks  Rebels:

OzuIuOk.png

LTu2Gh8.png  vS7EDRW.png

4fX9LeK.png  dXWvFa5.png

I see really no issues with the Rebels logo set or uniforms across the board. Even the club hockey team has a great set of uniforms. So really there wasn't a whole lot of change that went into these. Football did see the most change out of all of them to adhere to the new brand if you will but a lot of these are not much different than what exists today. 

Football - As I said above, football sees the most change. I do love the simplicity of the current uniforms but I don't like how the uniforms feel very disconnected color wise. My goal was to make the uniforms feel more color balanced and connected. So the normal double stripes give way to the grey pant stripes. I kept the helmet the same as it has been for the longest time now. When it came to the numbers I liked the simplicity of the one color numbers so I kept those across the uniform sets. Pants now all have the double pants stripe. Now I liked the powder blue helmets but I don't like how the Rebs just threw them in with the normal sets. To fix that I threw it back to 1962. Colored pictures of that season were a bit tough to come by so I did my best to approximate those uniforms. 

Hockey - Rebels hockey gets the double stripe treatment. Ole Miss graces the chests of all three jerseys. Single color numbers for the jerseys and navy pants for all. Not a lot to say here. I didn't want to try and shoehorn powder blue into their uniform set so there is no powder blue hockey jersey or uniform parts. 

Baseball - Baseball sees some changes though nothing too crazy. Double stripe placket piping on the four of them and double striping on the sleeves as well. Ole Miss graces the chests of the four unis. White and grey pants with double stripes on them. There's also a powder blue uniform set because that made sense to me, plus they actually wear a powder blue set so I felt it appropriate to include it. 

Basketball - Rounding out the Rebels roundtable of uniforms, basketball probably changes the least out of all of them. The biggest change might be the elimination of the REBELS text in the shorts stripe. Beyond that, not a whole lot to discuss here. 

C&C welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team #16 sees a return to the Red Headed Stepchildren aka the Group of 5, coming to you live from Mount Pleasant, Michigan: 

fBeE4DQ.png

The Directional Michigan schools get the short end of the stick. They don't get a unique look from Adidas since they have a more than a few cellar dwelling seasons more often than not, and when they are good enough, i.e Western Michigan, they're uniforms are bombarded by RTB mantras and oars. But here in the concept universe, particularly this one each team gets an identity no matter how good they are. CMU suffers from not having something to call their own or a distinct look. EMU has adopted the steel pattern, a little too much IMO and for a while the Fleckening resided in WMU and gave them something to be unique. But CMU doesn't even have that. Short of a bowl game uniform from 2014(?), they've been the more conservative of the Directionals. I kept that in mind as I designed the Chippewas set.

CJry7rU.png WhWQ2yt.png

JhgmzBW.jpg   wruXNdF.png

I kept in mind that while the Chippewas are an IRL Adidas school, they've kept the crazy adidas stuff to a dull roar. So with that, nothing needed to go super wild or off the wall. 

Football - The base design for the uniforms was a thick stripe flanked by two smaller stripes on each side. It just seemed to fit for CMU so it became their thing. Two helmets for the Chips, maroon and yellow with the stripes on the helmet. Motion C on the side of both. Jerseys have the stripes in the sleeve caps. Home and Alt have CHIPPEWAS on the chest, road has CENTRAL MICHIGAN. The number font was done in a similar fashion to the logo but gives the numbers a drop shadow effect. Pants have the stripes down the sides

Hockey - These were inspired by the ACHA D3 team, which in essence re-colorings of the Canadiens uniforms. Which I then changed up a little bit from there. First and foremost the numbers were hard to read with the stripe continuing all the way around so the stripes stop under the arms. Also the D3 team uses a roundel logo with the motion C so I rebuilt that and tweaked it to match fonts and all that.

Baseball - Baseball continues the trend. Sleeves carry the larger than average stripes you'd see on a baseball jersey. Hats and helmets have the motion C on the fronts. I knocked around the idea of a colored set of pants but neither color seemed to work so only white pants. Socks are striped. 

Basketball - Finally, I wasn't sure where to go with basketball with the stripes and I finally decided to go on the shoulders. The IRL uniforms have had a shoulder design for the last couple years so that was my rationale for it. Other than that, these are relatively simple. Stripes down on the lower hems of the shorts, Motion C on the waist band. 

Let me know what you guys think!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 7/7/2018 at 8:22 PM, CHAOS-KING said:

When will you do Tennessee?

He's planning on doing all the D1 schools. He has a lot of schools to do. I'd love to see Wisconsin, but I'm able to be patient until he gets to it.

I think you hit CMU on the head, nothing too flashy. I was expecting more narrow lines because of the lines in the logo, placed on the football sleeves like the older 49ers (before their sleeves got too short). I just don't know how that translates to hockey or baseball.

It's all about the U:

zVFPPlf.png

Despite being one of Nike's more modern looking teams during their time with the Swoosh, I gotta say in full honesty, I like the direction that Richt and Adidas have taken the football Hurricanes. Even the first set of football uniforms, name font withstanding, looked better than the last Nike set they had. With that in mind, now it's time to get the other sports reigned in line. 

GlIws9y.png  Hcws18C.png

dNYlsjt.png f5QrlKZ.png

Side note: I'm playing with a new layout that gives the non football sports a bit of uniqueness as well. Anyways, the designs were inspired by the helmet stripe because to me the helmet is iconic and it just IS Miami. From there I worked to make everything consistent and do as I have been and create a team identity. Let's dive in: 

Football - As I said above, I really liked the direction Miami had been taking their uniforms with Adidas, not including the 305Ice uniform. I considered for a little bit about bringing back the slashes in the stripes as if they were palm leaves, but no application of that looked good. So the stripes stayed solid. The main helmet remains pretty much unchanged down to the stripes and logos. The jerseys have the stripes on the sleeves with one major change: they finally match the ? helmet! that has always been one of my biggest pet peeves about their uniforms. Pants are striped, nothing too fancy. For the alternates, I went all green with racing style stripes. It's always a popular concept and was an early idea I had for the main look but decided to keep on as just an alternate. The Canes called their green alts from this past season the "State of Miami" uniforms, and that is echoed on the green helmet bumper. 

Hockey - Miami hockey wears very similar uniforms IRL but doesn't have an orange uniform, at least that's what I gathered from my research. So I gave them an orange jersey, with the proper stripes and matched the stripes for the white away uniform. The green uniform has stripes that go from collar to sleeve much like the football uniforms. 

Baseball - I love the pullover look for Miami so I kept it, and hey new pullover template! Stripes got ever so slightly bigger on the sleeves. Miami is written on the home and away uniforms. Canes on the alt. For the hats and helmets, the regular is green/orange and the alt is white/green. 

Basketball - I almost did the unthinkable. I almost kept the crotch level stripe. but in the end my design common sense won me over and I decided against it. So in the end, the uniforms get a bit more traditional take. Collar and sleeve striping for the home and away uniforms. Shorts have hem and waistband striping, as well as the U logo on the front. For the alternate, the stripes move to the shoulder and down the side of the jerseys and shorts. 

C&C welcome!

On 7/7/2018 at 7:22 PM, CHAOS-KING said:

When will you do Tennessee?

On 7/9/2018 at 12:07 PM, Dan O'Mac said:

He's planning on doing all the D1 schools. He has a lot of schools to do. I'd love to see Wisconsin, but I'm able to be patient until he gets to it.

A lot of schools to do is mild understatement :lol: To be totally honest, I have no idea where Tennessee or Wisconsin is on my list. I took the list of 130 teams, threw it in a random list generator and created the team list. I haven't peeked ahead to see, so I'm just going down the list, getting through school after school

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Miami looks really good, but I think a sublimated warning flag on the striping may make it even better. I also think the green football template looks a little off. May be better off using the orange and white jersey templates instead. Just my .02

That's what- She

As a big Miami fan, I like these uniforms and wouldn't be mad if they came out tomorrow. I totally agree with the font choice for football, that number font is iconic to the U, and I hate that we use the block font as of now. The only thing I would change is maybe use the white helmet and pants with the green for football, because all green might be a little much.

On 7/14/2018 at 7:34 PM, jaytavo305 said:

As a big Miami fan, I like these uniforms and wouldn't be mad if they came out tomorrow. I totally agree with the font choice for football, that number font is iconic to the U, and I hate that we use the block font as of now. The only thing I would change is maybe use the white helmet and pants with the green for football, because all green might be a little much.

I agree with the number font being "iconic" for UM. I wish Nike hadn't pawned it out as a catalog font. Now schools up to, and including, Fresno State and Nevada use it.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Quick reminder: unless I say that a football uniform piece or pieces are meant to stay together for a team, then assume that all pieces are mix and match. 

Next up, Louisiana Tech

tCGH9XH.png

You know for the longest time I never understood why Louisiana Tech was in the WAC. In a statewide geographical sense, there's nothing "west" about Louisiana, especially when they had to come out to Idaho to play Boise State or even further and play Hawaii. But now they're in a more idea situation in the C-USA. However, uniform wise, they still need help in some spots. 

1I2vkkz.png  yhcimTq.png

kbYkf0C.png VumlqRw.png 

La. Tech football has had Colts style shoulder stripes for as long as I can remember. So when the Bulldogs jumped ship to Adidas, they wisely kept those for football. However for the other 3 sports, the uniforms are less memorable and a lot more cataloged. 

Football - As I mentioned above in less direct terms, La. Tech has outstandingly good football uniforms and so there isn't much that changes. Red and white helmets with the triple stripe and white facemasks. Jerseys all have the triple shoulder stripes. I changed the font to a slab serif font to better match the wordmarks. Pants have the triple stripe as well. 

Hockey - the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs ice hockey team does not exist. However they have a roller hockey team that is pretty good. So as a result I was pretty much making a uniform set from as close to scratch as you can get. So I did a thing and said :censored: it and threw shoulder stripes on a hockey jersey. Not quite your average hockey jersey but I thought they all turned out pretty cool and unique. Also, alternate mix and match pants aren't quite all the rage in hockey but I think that blue and red pants would've worked for them so I gave them both as an option. 

Baseball - I wasn't sure where to take baseball. Shoulder stripes done like a football jersey on a baseball jersey look very odd, but I wanted it to feel like it was still a part of the identity I am trying to create. So i spun the shoulder stripes and had them run from collar to shoulder seam. Also the wordmarks didn't look as good as I had hoped on the jerseys so they all got the T-state logo instead. I also threw in a pair of blue pants to mix things up a little. 

Basketball - I can't believe I did this but I actually used a catalog design from Adidas as inspiration for these. I used basically their existing uniform with a few changes to incorporate the shoulder stripe design. I used the wordmarks here because they fit better than on baseball. For the shorts, I just played around with the stripe a little and landed on this. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

You made a change to LaTech that I love and you might not have noticed - the white T on the helmet. They changed it to a red T a few years ago and it got lost in the red shell so easily. When I saw that they were the next team, I was only hoping that you would fix this.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

xjEzUl0.png

Indiana has it rough. Not only do they compete in the Big Ten, they also compete against 6 other teams with some form of red in their color scheme (5 if you don't count Minnesota), so the goal here and for the rest of the Big Ten Reds, is how to make each one unique from the other, especially for teams like Nebraska and Wisconsin down the road, but let's not worry about them right now. right now we get the Hoosiers of Indiana. Uniform wise, I can't scream too much about Indiana. Adidas hasn't mucked up football too much, basketball has a classic look, baseball looks good and hockey isn't an Adidas outfitted sport but even they have great uniforms. 

Qqd6AXl.png  JfefvGJ.png 

8Wf6l3T.png ftRnoUL.png 

The candy striped basketball warm-up pants were the inspiration for the uniforms here. it's uniquely Indiana and now it reaches across multiple sports. 

Football - The one gripe I have with IU football is the number of helmets they try and wear. You don't need more than 4 helmets IMO. Okay anyways, for football: satin red helmets with the IU logo on the side, along side a glossy white helmet with the IU logo also on the side. Uniforms are based off the candy stripe design from the basketball pants. I also changed the number front slightly to match the thinner serifs of the IU logo. The pants have a single stripe that ends at the base of the IU logo. I didn't give the football team an alternate because I felt there wasn't another good way to use the candy stripe pattern and not look gaudy, but I gave the Hoosiers two alternate helmets instead using the super awesome Indiana script. 

Hockey - IU hockey takes the candy stripe pattern to another level on their uniforms. However, I felt it necessary to tone it down a touch in the event, such as this one, that they made it to the D1 level. I used a simple four stripe pattern for the home and away jerseys. It just felt a cleaner way to go. No hem stripes, instead I put the Hoosiers wordmark there underneath the logo. The alternate uniform is a damn near close representation of how IU hockey looks IRL, with the addition of another stripe to the sleeves and hem. 

Baseball - Baseball presented a challenge for me and you'll see why. I used a more subtle candy stripe pattern stripe on the sleeves rather than filling the sleeve caps with it. Red and white hats and helmets for the uniforms. HOOSIERS on the chests of the home and roads and a single stripe on the pants. Now the alternate... I went with a vest with the Indiana script. The sleeves felt very overwhelming with the candy stripe pattern so I did a gradient fade from top to bottom on the sleeves to kind of dull them down a touch so they weren't so out there. 

Basketball - Another challenge presented here in that I felt very conflicted about changing the Hoosiers basketball uniforms. If my research is correct, the Hoosiers have worn the same base style of uniforms for a long time and it just didn't look right changing that completely. So I made a few minor changes here and there. I put Hoosiers on the home uniform rather than Indiana and I unarched the wordmarks. I changed the font to match across the board as well. For the waistband I made it a solid color rather than the double stripe and placed the candy stripe pattern on the front of the waistband. The alternate let me get a little wild with the candy stripe, with it gracing the trim on pretty much everything. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

they also compete against 6 other teams with some form of red in their color scheme (5 if you don't count Minnesota)

This is a great point, and I applaud you for considering the other Big 10 teams and making the teams work well with each other.  I will note, Minnesota absolutely does not count as red.

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

On 7/27/2018 at 4:44 PM, CaptainKirkMN said:

This is a great point, and I applaud you for considering the other Big 10 teams and making the teams work well with each other.  I will note, Minnesota absolutely does not count as red.

You'd be hard pressed to convince most folks that maroon isn't a shade of red..

As an IU alum, I think this looks good. One thing to bear in mind with Indiana concepts is that if you want to distinguish them from other palettes, take advantage of the cream and crimson. ?

rATMcmK.png

Archived