The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/29/2018 at 4:34 AM, Whittier S said:

As an IU alum, I think this looks good. One thing to bear in mind with Indiana concepts is that if you want to distinguish them from other palettes, take advantage of the cream and crimson. ?

The thought did cross my desk. But then I got to thinking about it and the first team I think of when I hear cream and crimson or crimson and cream is Oklahoma, not Indiana, especially now that Oklahoma has the Roughrider alts that use crimson and cream. 

3 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

With IU hockey, I'd take off the "HOOSIERS" wordmark below the "IU" monogram. That just makes it too busy. Especially as the IU monogram is strong enough to stand on its own.

Other than that, you're golden.

uSMV5d6.png

Something like that? 

On 7/28/2018 at 10:38 PM, WavePunter said:

You'd be hard pressed to convince most folks that maroon isn't a shade of red..

A tweet I once retweeted called maroon "Navy Red" ?

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 7/28/2018 at 11:38 PM, WavePunter said:

You'd be hard pressed to convince most folks that maroon isn't a shade of red..

That's true, but I think Minnesota's maroon is dark enough that it differentiates itself from others.  In this case, I don't think Indiana's red would get confused with Minnesota's maroon.

As far as the color scheme as a whole, I don't see any confusion between Iowa State and Minnesota, even though one is red and yellow and the other is maroon and yellow.

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

12 minutes ago, CaptainKirkMN said:

That's true, but I think Minnesota's maroon is dark enough that it differentiates itself from others.  In this case, I don't think Indiana's red would get confused with Minnesota's maroon.

As far as the color scheme as a whole, I don't see any confusion between Iowa State and Minnesota, even though one is red and yellow and the other is maroon and yellow.

To be fair, Iowa State is no more "red" than Minnesota is.. One is maroon and the other is "cardinal"

u6Af4Vg.png

Auburn was definitely the easiest team I've designed thus far, thanks to the incredible efforts of @Clintau24. The Auburn Uniform Database was monumental for the Tigers concepts. That being said, the ever traditional Auburn Tigers uniforms well, will stay that way. No reason to get away from a working and winning set of uniforms. That also being said, there are minor changes here and there. 

j18JXhq.png  uWOFkJg.jpg

Qg5PW85.png Yndvu4g.png

Football - There is not a whole lot to say about the football uniforms. The biggest change is the pants stripe which changes to match the helmet and jersey stripes. Also speaking of jerseys, BAM, orange alternate jersey. The other sports have been doing it for a while now, it seemed like it was time to add football to the mix. The numbers were the biggest question mark I had so I just kept them white and added a blue outline to it. For the alternate helmet, its more like an alternate facemask which is an orange option. 

Hockey - The club team for Auburn is slightly less traditional than most of the teams as they exist now. So that changes a fair bit. Striping matches up with everyone else, single color numbers on the home and away, outlined on the alt jersey. Pants have the stripe down the side. White helmets, like football. 

Baseball - Again, keeping in with the traditional theme here. Hats and helmets are either navy/orange with the UA logo or navy/navy with the UA logo. White felt very out of place so it didn't make the cut. Jerseys have the NW stripe on the sleeves and as well down the pants. TIGERS on the home, AUBURN on the road, and script AUBURN on the alternate. 

Basketball - I always seem to get hung up on the basketball uniforms since there are no sleeves here to make transitioning a design easy. Nevertheless I think I came up with a winning look. I like the Under Armour cut off collar striping a strange amount so I kept a variation of it on these Nike uniforms. I took the idea of the throwback uniforms and simply changed out the stripe for the NW stripe. On the shorts, I went a little nikeish and cut the stripes based on the angle of the seam and tucked the UA logo in the cut. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Was just waiting to see where Auburn fell in this! 

I like what you did across the board. Auburn has been really pushing the striping across all sports recently, but I think this is a more concise plan. I would love to see a change from the Copperplate numbers to something more similar to football. 

Glad I could be of some help with this awesome project. I'll be sure to share your work online!

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I’m really enjoying the series thus far. You’ve struck a good balance between each school’s different sporting aesthetics while also establishing unifying elements (e.g., Indiana). My favorites are probably your work on University of Miami (FLA) and Washington State. I look forward to seeing how you’ll handle schools like Pitt, Oregon, and Kansas. Good work.

B0yfNhu.png

You may think that me using the silver for the header image for Georgia is weird but you'll understand once my NikeSpeak is spoken. The Bulldogs went through the Nike process and came out with a great looking identity that complimented decades of history. So for me, the goal here was to compliment that compliment but extend it to all the sports and create a look that encompasses all the sports and still screams Georgia. The focal point I used was the football pants stripe (hence the silver background). But I didn't want to use silver on everything because I see Georgia as red,black and white team. So you'll see how I worked with the stripes for everyone. 

qApAXbA.png dmB0DqH.jpg

Juv3Zsb.jpg 9OWSxDl.jpg

Football - I saw no reason to change the helmet so the normal helmet stays exactly the same. On the jerseys, I used the stripe from the pants with a caveat. I didn't recolor the stripe for each jersey, so in essense the stripe is the same color on all the jerseys, but the jersey color hides one of the stripes on each jersey. UGA mascot logo on the bottom of the collar, captains C on each jersey. Silver britches are the main pants with the full stripe. Alternate jersey is all black. I remember reading about bad luck with the black helmets and pants and the way I see it, luck can change. 

Hockey - The hockey Bulldogs have used a lot of looks. I believe the current look to be based off the Senators uniforms, which is a no go for me, so they get a nice overhaul. Same striping for the jerseys as football, also did the same striping on the yokes as well as down on the socks. Pants I had to go black across the board because the red didn't work and neither did silver. Alternate has the UGA logo on the chest. 

Baseball - Baseball really is a lot of the same as the rest. Red hats and helmets are the go-to's. The GEORGIA wordmark works better to me on the chests than the BULLDOGS one does so Georgia is on the front of the home and away jerseys. White pants and silver britches. There is also a black alternate set. 

Basketball - Finally, the basketball uniforms adopt a lot of the same convention as the rest of them. GEORGIA on the front of the home and away like baseball, the alternate gets BULLDOGS. Single color striping around the collar as well as the hem of the shorts. Triple color striping around the arms, down the sides of the shorts and the jerseys. UGA mascot logo on the waistband. 

Not quite the most lengthy write up, but nevertheless, let me know what you guys think!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 8/10/2018 at 6:59 PM, stumpygremlin said:

Love what you've got going on for UGA.

Might I make a suggestion for the hockey unis? On the red and white ones, add the bulldog as shoulder patches, and then add the circle-G as a shoulder patch on the black one.

cW3cBin.jpg

Like so? I thought about doing this beforehand but I left them off in the end. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

lCkmRbo.png

Vanderbilt was the first team to have uniforms that I really didn't care for. Outside of baseball, the Commodores don't quite have a sense of cohesion between the various sports. Also I'm not a fan of the fact that most of the logos I found online for Vanderbilt were in black and old gold yet the sports teams use khaki which feels ugly to me. I do like the use of the anchor now, which I really love as a part of their identity, but not a fan of it's use on the football jerseys. Okay, I've talked your ears off, lets see some concepts

MYPdqNL.png TpNbybH.jpg

9a7Mz7a.png NqzPE9q.png

It's worth noting that I did tweak the old gold just a touch to lighten it up to somewhere in between the khaki and old golds. I had a tough time figuring out a distinct look for Vandy. I was trying to figure out what would be best to start the identity off with. It felt a little cheap to use the football helmet stripe but the anchor didn't feel strong enough to lead an identity. 

Football - I was a much larger fan of the uniforms that came before the Commodores got anchor happy, so I returned to a similar look for them. Helmets remain mostly the same. Only change there is the black helmet gets the striping added to it. For the jerseys, I used the helmet striping on the collar and the cuffs, and placed the anchor logo on the sleeves. I also created a new number font based off the Vanderbilt wordmark. Pants have the same stripe down the sides. 

Hockey - Vandy hockey has worn quite a few looks, ranging from reoclored Canucks Edge uniforms to Dallas Stars Edge 1.0 uniforms (don't know how they justified the green on the white uniforms). Their current look is a lot of black and grey with not a lot of gold. Pretty simple look across the board. Striped tie-down collar, triple stripe on the sleeves, anchor on the shoulders. On the alternate uniform, I used the baseball script rather than the V-Star. Socks match their respective jerseys, pants have the stripe down the side. 

Baseball - I liked baseball's look so all I really did was make it match the rest of the uniforms. Added collar striping because all the cool Vandy teams are doing it. Changed the font to match the new font. One hat for all the uniforms, black on black with the V-star. Anchor on the sleeves of all the jerseys. 

Basketball - Bit of a simple look for basketball. Triple stripe around the collar and the arm holes. Arched Vanderbilt script on all three jerseys. I tried commodores but it just didn't quite work. New number font like all sports have. shorts have a filled in waistband, with the triple stripe down the side that ends at the anchor. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

0icoACe.png

I told myself I wouldn't change the order of teams. I told myself to stick to the list that was generated for me. Then Oregon, the reason college football looks 3/4 of the way it does today, dropped their newest cutting edge uniforms that IMO fell flat on their face. I'm glad the wings returned to the helmet, but the jerseys and pants being blank as they are kills the look for me. So my apologies to UCLA (who was up next) for jumping them, but it just felt like the godfathers of mix and match uniforms after their uniform release was the right thing to do. 

rl5Ep6g.png ax63vs5.jpg

NTZqdRT.png ih6cuF2.png

My personal belief is that the Ducks uniforms peaked with the Alamo Bowl uniform style with the "sharper" looking wings, and then things went down hill from there when they started dressing up like Puddles, and acting like Lewis and Clark (granted that was really just the helmet), then they played up the "blue collar" motif and things just got too weird and too mismatched and any and all cohesion was gone. Now regression isn't something the Ducks are familiar with, but again, the Alamo Wings I think were the best they've looked and were criminally underused. 

Football - the mix and match masters kick us off. On the helmets. I liked the O on the side. I also like wings on the sides as well. Rather than give them a satin green O helmet and a white wing helmet. Each color has both an O and a Wing helmet. I illustrated that accordingly to save space on the image, so no the Ducks did not fall into the mismatching sides category. On the jerseys, the wings are thinned out a little and angled in a slight V pattern. Puddles is on the sleeves and I went back to the Autzen font (the one Mariota wore most of his career). For the pants, I put the wings at the bottom of the side of the pants and the O on the hip. 

Hockey - Oregon hockey is super well dressed as well. At least on the green jerseys, I can't speak for the white uniforms as I had a tough time tracking those down. Either way, I didn't really change too much as the hockey look was strong and I felt as thought the wings weren't enough to carry the uniforms by themselves. So I kept a lot of those uniforms the same, and added sublimated wings to the shoulders, done similar to the Playoff Rose Bowl uniforms. Beyond that, stripes on the pants as well as Puddles on the legs. 

Baseball - Baseball went a lot the route of hockey, in that they had a uniform that was really hard to change and it already looked super good and it was hard to change it. So I built off of that, and really just added the sublimated wings to the shoulders on the home and away because the wings being the focal point felt a little too much for baseball. Hats and helmets are green/yellow with the O and green/white/yellow with Puddles. On the alternate uniform, I did use the wings as the focal point, and put them on the sleeves. For the pants, i used the NW stripe and cut them off at the sublimated wings at the bottom 

Basketball - Finally, at basketball, I put the wings on the shoulders much like everyone else. DUCKS on the home and OREGON on the away. On the shorts, I kept it simple and did it football style with the wings coming up from the bottom of the shorts. On the alternate jersey, I put FIGHTING DUCKS on the yellow jersey because it's a basketball tradition. Beyond that not much else to say here

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

As a Duck, I love love your concepts! 

That basketball identity is super sharp and something I’d love to see on the court. I also happen to agree with you about thr football unis peaking in 2015ish. If you hsd time, i’d love to see your design in the other Oregon colors (for example: volt and dark grey, grey and black, neon green and black, etc). 

I agree with you that the "sharper wings" look was one of the best. I like the two tone look as well. I think the weakest part is the wings on the pants. Something just doesn't look right there. It honestly reminds me of the tire treads on adidas pants.

But damn, I want that tri-colored Duck baseball hat right now!

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived