The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

BYU looks incredible, especially the basketball team. That alternate script is cleannnn, and I love the mountain details on the shorts. Pure class. I can't say I'm feeling the away for Wisconsin football, I know you want to separate the red and white teams in the Big 10 but I honestly just prefer what they have now to what you did with the vertical sleeve stripe. And for Memphis, although I think the design works for all the other sports, for football the uni combos only look good when the stripes match. The non-monochrome combos look kinda clunky with the mismatched stripes. 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the Colorado football unis - the double white stripes around the gold stripe (a la the 80s unis) is excellent and would be pretty unique in 2020.

BYU looks great. 

For USC - what if the Tommy Trojan helmet decal was more yellow than red...reversed colors, maybe...like the '92 helmets? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

V8LdjxI.png

y0AnVRu.png eHydEHk.png

2dZkYLS.png uQrSfP6.png

Football - The Eagles are so close. Like this close. They're doing a lot right and just a few things wrong, so let's jump into it. The helmets stay very much the same. NW stripe down the middle, went back to glossy helmets with the E logo on both sides. Retired the grey/silver helmet. Jerseys keep the NW stripes on the sleeves. Flipped the colors on the numbers. EAGLES on the chest of the home and alternate. Dropped the Michigan from Eastern Michigan and rolled with Eastern on the away jersey. Pants have the NW stripe up the sides, which is a new addition. Pretty simple. 

Hockey - Really couldn't find a good look that the Eagles have stuck with for their club team, so I really just rolled with the football look on the ice. Fairly classic look to sum it up pretty well. NW stripes on the arms and on the hem line. Numbers on the sleeves, E logo on the chest. Stripes continue down to the pants, as well as onto the shorts. Only real change between the home and away is the addition of a shoulder yoke to the away jersey. Alternate leans into the baseball imagery with the cursive script replacing the E on the chest, and the cursive E on the shoulders. I almost went as far as using the Red Wings 2014 WC font because I felt it would fit in well, but I scrapped it at the end. 

Baseball - Kept it clean, kept it on brand. Headgear has two options: all green, with the cursive E on the front or tricolor with the same logo on the front. Jerseys are all v-neck pullovers, with the same stripes on the sleeves as everyone else. Cursive script on the home and away jerseys, with the number under the script. Name and number round out the back of the jersey. Pants have the NW stripe down the side. I also went with striped stirrups for every set. Alternate is grey with the E logo on the left chest, number opposite that. 

Basketball - I really wanted to wrap the stripes around the armholes and the collar line and the waistband and around the bottom of the shorts. Unfortunately, IMO, that would come too close to what I did for Ohio, so I had to rethink the basketball option. I instead went with the NW stripe down the sides of the jerseys and the shorts, with single color piping around the collar and the armholes and the bottom of the shorts. EAGLES on the home white's, stacked Eastern Michigan on the green and grey jerseys. 

C&C appreciated!

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

For USC - what if the Tommy Trojan helmet decal was more yellow than red...reversed colors, maybe...like the '92 helmets? 

DballBe.png

I'm not sure that the new logo really lends itself well to that unfortunately. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

p9WzoAj.png

jDU0Xah.png jkbE9bQ.png

YybP7zR.png bvjJerg.png

First conference to be completed: the Big 12!

Football - Possibly the easiest team I've had to work on, outside of Alabama. So right off the bat, the home and away don't change. All the classic look with the updated brand elements. Even the Rough Rider uniforms stay the same I'm pretty sure. I don't think anything changed there. Only thing I remotely considered changing was the anthracite socks and shoes to crimson and cream, but they ended up staying the same. 

Hockey - While not the most traditional of the teams here, no reason to do something wild. Double stripes around the arms and hem, pants and socks. OU logo on the chest. Crimson helmets, with the state logo on the helmet. Hockey gets their own Rough Rider editions. OU logo moves to the shoulders, Rangers-style Oklahoma wordmark on the chest. same stripes with the wood pattern in the right places. 

Baseball - Much like everyone else, things really don't change. Double stripes on the home and away, solid crimson headwear with the OU logo. Sooners on the chest, stripes down the pants, and on the socks. These are the only RR uniforms that deviate from each other. Both are pullovers. The cream uniforms have the sleeves full of wood pattern, the crimson variant has the stripes with the contained wood pattern. Pants are the same for both, socks are the same. Two hats, crimson/cream or cream/crimson versions. 

Basketball - If you've expected anything different, sorry to disappoint. The biggest change comes from the fact of the template I'm using in that the cut in the shorts moves places, meaning the crossing of the double stripes no longer is feasible. So the stripes just act a little more normal in this case. Otherwise, the other change is Sooners on the chest on the home and away jerseys. I retired the anthracite alternates and went with the same style RR uniforms for basketball now. 

Anything new? Not really, but I still wanna know what you think!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

32 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

I think the cream is a bit too tan. I also would prefer the pre-Jumpan era wordmark and logo shape. Grey facemask is interesting though

That's the exact Pantone listed in their style guide but it does look a lot more tan than what the IRL uniforms look like. Could just be the difference between screen color and textile color. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I've been a Sooners fan my whole life and i'd honestly prefer a updated, half traditional, half roughrider set. As timeless as OU's uniforms look, they're too similar to Alabama for me. The roughrider set is awesome and I wouldn't have a problem with OU leaning more in that direction. That being said, both looks are amazing to me. The only tweak needed for the roughrider set would tweaking the wood grain on the cream jerseys so it's the same applicational the crimson jersey with swapped colors. Regardless, from premise to concepts to presentation, this is one of the most impressive threads on this board. Amazing job.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

26 minutes ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

I've been a Sooners fan my whole life and i'd honestly prefer a updated, half traditional, half roughrider set. As timeless as OU's uniforms look, they're too similar to Alabama for me. The roughrider set is awesome and I wouldn't have a problem with OU leaning more in that direction. That being said, both looks are amazing to me. The only tweak needed for the roughrider set would tweaking the wood grain on the cream jerseys so it's the same applicational the crimson jersey with swapped colors. Regardless, from premise to concepts to presentation, this is one of the most impressive threads on this board. Amazing job.

17 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

My opinion on Oklahoma, I'd do either cream or white, but not both.

16 minutes ago, jaytavo305 said:

All white Sooner digs are clean 👌 That white hockey jersey pops 

This doesn't make my next decision any easier 😂.On one hand, I love the timelessness of the Sooners uniforms and love the Rough Rider sets as alternates. On the other, I do get a sense on here and from Twitter Sooner fans to pick one or the other or mix them and move into the future. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 hour ago, colinturner95 said:

This doesn't make my next decision any easier 😂.On one hand, I love the timelessness of the Sooners uniforms and love the Rough Rider sets as alternates. On the other, I do get a sense on here and from Twitter Sooner fans to pick one or the other or mix them and move into the future. 

Hahaha, too many different opinions. What if you lightened the cream a little bit and just applied that to the classic Sooners set? I'm not totally sold on the design of the roughrider jersey with the contrasting sleeves. I think somebody mentioned this before, although that is the actual cream color they use, it looks too tan and doesn't pop off the red like the white does. I just can't accept them with those roughrider jerseys full time, if you're gonna go cream you should keep the OG Sooners traditional set, imo. 

6 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

4 hours ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

As an Okie and a fan of the Sooners, my vote is going to a lighter cream and using it as the white on the traditional look. It's a look that OU used in the past and always looks great.

4 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

Hahaha, too many different opinions. What if you lightened the cream a little bit and just applied that to the classic Sooners set? I'm not totally sold on the design of the roughrider jersey with the contrasting sleeves. I think somebody mentioned this before, although that is the actual cream color they use, it looks too tan and doesn't pop off the red like the white does. I just can't accept them with those roughrider jerseys full time, if you're gonna go cream you should keep the OG Sooners traditional set, imo. 

7EAjKtf.png

Lets start with this before I apply the concept wholesale. You can see the range of colors I worked with and what new tan I picked. Everything before between the starred option and pure white just didn't look like the right color, it just felt too bland, but the option I went with felt like tan without being too yellow and overpowering. In most cases what is white became the new cream color. I didn't want to totally get rid of some of the Rough Rider elements, so the wood pattern stays on the sleeve caps but there's no contrasting color with it. Pant stripes keep the wood pattern and now the cream color gets it on the new option of pants. Also I notice the crimson pants have the OU and the cream pants don't. That's my mistake, I'll fix that for the final product. Otherwise. Crimson helmet stays mostly the same, save for the newly replaced white. I kept the cream helmet due to the fact that it has some historical precedent rooted in white helmets and with white being subbed out, makes sense to me. 

Let me know what yall think and what works and what doesn't

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Maybe I'm an outcast in this opinion, and obviously I'm not an OU fan so my opinion doesn't matter as much, but dont like the rough rider alts (Is that what their called?). I think the pattern is too modern and to be frank just ugly, and the insertion of cream and anthracite into their identity is gaudy at best. 

On the other hand, I think Bama comparisons should be thrown aside, the classy look for OU is fantastic and ideally shouldn't be changed. 

However, if cream was to be added to the set, I think either taking the classics and touching nothing but swapping white for cream would work. Basically taking the most recent concept you made and dropping the bad pattern. Or another route would be a Harvard like route and utilizing cream pants as some sort of fauxback set to the early days of the sport. You'd keep the white helmet decals on the helmet, the white numbers on the home uniform and away uniform all white, but just swap the white on the pants for cream. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

9 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Maybe I'm an outcast in this opinion, and obviously I'm not an OU fan so my opinion doesn't matter as much, but dont like the rough rider alts (Is that what their called?). I think the pattern is too modern and to be frank just ugly, and the insertion of cream and anthracite into their identity is gaudy at best. 

On the other hand, I think Bama comparisons should be thrown aside, the classy look for OU is fantastic and ideally shouldn't be changed. 

However, if cream was to be added to the set, I think either taking the classics and touching nothing but swapping white for cream would work. Basically taking the most recent concept you made and dropping the bad pattern. Or another route would be a Harvard like route and utilizing cream pants as some sort of fauxback set to the early days of the sport. You'd keep the white helmet decals on the helmet, the white numbers on the home uniform and away uniform all white, but just swap the white on the pants for cream. 

6fcOVoe.png

So after looking at the way Harvard does their football uniforms, I'm personally not crazy about the white & cream coexisting. This option just sees the wood pattern go away. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 8/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, jaytavo305 said:

All white Sooner digs are clean 👌 That white hockey jersey pops 

On 8/17/2020 at 1:00 PM, stumpygremlin said:

My opinion on Oklahoma, I'd do either cream or white, but not both.

AdLb9yp.png

Alright so I've been trying a lot of ideas in my head, and this was one on the opposite spectrum of the recent ideas. Went back to the crimson and whites and went with a '66 throwback instead. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

14 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

6fcOVoe.png

So after looking at the way Harvard does their football uniforms, I'm personally not crazy about the white & cream coexisting. This option just sees the wood pattern go away. 

BEAUTIFUL! That's what OU should look like to separate itself visually from Bama, Indiana, Arkansas and the others!

Edit - Just saw the post after, also a great look for no cream.

Alright. In the interest of moving things along, I think I've got a total look ready: 

qFSBqvH.png

92K7ztp.png fLVQJ8j.png

KlQpI4b.png pjXnTlV.png

So if you're a fan of the Crimson and Cream idea, you got your wish. I again lightened the cream to somewhat appease those that think the Sooners looked best in crimson and white (so mostly me). With that, I retired the Rough Rider identity, despite the fact that it's my personal opinion that the RR uniforms are as good an extension of a classic brand as you can get. 

To the new homes/aways: White is replaced by the newly lightened cream. The design aspects don't really change at all. With the alternate slots being opened, I turned back the clock for all four teams, well fauxback for hockey. 

Football goes back to the 50's, white helmet and all. If you remember the Sooners Pro Combat uniforms from 2009, this is what you're looking at, sans Nike's little design quirks. 

Hockey fauxs it back to what many would consider a "classic" college hockey look with the arced wordmark with a number under it. Basically took the football throwback to the ice. 

Baseball goes back to the national championship year of 1951, with a faux-flannel look. 

Basketball goes back to the early days of March Madness, 1947 exactly, their first instance as runner ups. 

Let me know if I went in the right direction on these!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived