The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/11/2018 at 3:58 PM, bkknight95 said:

Took a little longer than I wanted to, but I'm not going away with this anytime soon ?

K2jR4sU.png

igeSHmk.png xAWiMuG.jpg

jwXmmji.png rmw7ahC.png

I believe the "chopped up" looking Ram horn is referred to as the "bone horns". I could be wrong about that but I could have sworn I saw it called that. Either way. I freaking love it! There's not a whole lot of different ways to do a Rams identity, but having a different style of Ram horn certainly helps. 

Football - the most recent uniform release for CSU has itty bitty ram horns on the sleeves and that just doesn't look good to me. So to fix that, we're going bone horns across the board. On the green helmet, gold and white horns, and the white helmet is the obvious inverse of that with green and gold horns. For the home and away uniforms, bone horns that wrap around the shoulder and finish on the sleeve caps. I like the new font for CSU so I kept it on the chest and as the number font. Pants have a bone horn inspired pants stripe that tapers toward the back of the leg. in the interest of space, I didn't include white pants, but they would have them and they will be on the uniform picker site. Now for the alternates, i never liked the look of CSU in a gold jersey. So the Ag Day orange alt sticks around with the addition of a Northwestern stripe on the sleeves. And I really liked the State Pride unis they unveiled last year so I kept those around too with a slightly different helmet. 

Hockey - I gotta say that the CSU club hockey teams have really good uniforms, which can't be said for a fair bit of ACHA teams. Okay that said, the hockey Rams adapt to the new look which isn't a huge deal. Ram horns on the shoulders, adapted bone stripe on the socks and the sleeves/hems. Cam the Ram front and center. they also get an Ag Day uniform, with Aggies done in a Rangers' style treatment, with the Block A on the shoulders. Also they get a state pride uniform where everything is white, minus the pants. the Leafs Stadium Series uniforms showed why that remains a bad idea. 

Baseball - Baseball is also a club sport and is stuck in logo limbo, using much of the older iconography from the pre-UA days. There wasn't much I could salvage from that, so it's a pretty new look overall. One hat, green/gold with Cam the Ram front and center. I like the font but not for the use on baseball uniforms, so it's smaller Cam the Ram and a number on the front. Pants have the adapted bone stripe. Ag Day uniform has NW stripes on the sleeves. I could have sworn there was a scripty logo that UA puts on apparel for the Rams for Ag Day, but I couldn't find it so I built one. State Pride uniforms are all white with the same flag elements. 

Basketball - Basketball sees a slight deviation. with the way the arm holes work, I wasn't going to be able to put the bone horn on the jerseys. so I did the adapted bone stripe around the arm holes and did the horns on the sides of the shorts. Colored in the waist bands on the home and away with CSU on the front of those. There is an Ag day alternate with the bone stripes on the jerseys. I used the new scripty font on the front of the jersey. State Pride uniform as well, with a chest stripe on the jersey

C&C welcome! I'll try not to be so long between teams next time

Thanks for following through! These are solid designs as usual! Love the helmets for the state pride set.

On 10/11/2018 at 4:49 PM, stumpygremlin said:

So random question for CSU. Are you going to do a state pride thing for CU? If so, would it be materially different from CSU?

Honestly not sure. I don't think CU has ever done something like that uniformwise, outside a patch or anything. I'm not sure at the moment where CU falls on my list of teams, so I'll have some time to consider how that would work for the Buffaloes or if I even want to attempt that route with them. 

On 10/13/2018 at 12:18 PM, Htown1141 said:

What does the left side of the CSU state pride helmet look like? Is it a backwards C?

I hadn't considered that when I designed them, mostly because I didn't think I'd add them at all BUT here we are presented with this problem. 

5Fkd7m9.png

Ignore the front and back views for now, I didn't change a thing on them yet.

First helmet has a backwards C, which I can tell you I don't like just by looking at it. 

Second has the flag colored Cam the Ram logo on the side, same size as the flag C

Third has a red/yellow colored number on the other side. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

21 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

Honestly not sure. I don't think CU has ever done something like that uniformwise, outside a patch or anything. I'm not sure at the moment where CU falls on my list of teams, so I'll have some time to consider how that would work for the Buffaloes or if I even want to attempt that route with them. 

I hadn't considered that when I designed them, mostly because I didn't think I'd add them at all BUT here we are presented with this problem. 

5Fkd7m9.png

Ignore the front and back views for now, I didn't change a thing on them yet.

First helmet has a backwards C, which I can tell you I don't like just by looking at it. 

Second has the flag colored Cam the Ram logo on the side, same size as the flag C

Third has a red/yellow colored number on the other side. 

For the rear facing C, I'd add a white outline to break them up and keep the lines on the helmet. Otherwise, I'd go with the rams head. I'm not a fan of the numbers. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/15/2018 at 1:11 PM, MJWalker45 said:

For the rear facing C, I'd add a white outline to break them up and keep the lines on the helmet. Otherwise, I'd go with the rams head. I'm not a fan of the numbers. 

CQtaWBl.png

Okay, scratched off the numbers helmet idea. 

First helmet has one change: both C's have a white outline now. I figured if one had it, the other probably should. 

Second just has the now outlined C. both the fronts now have the state flag on the front bumper and the back of the Ram helmet no longer has Cam the Ram. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Option 1 is the way to go. 

While I'm here, great series so far. Solid updates across the board. It's impressive how you're able to maintain a consistent identity across all the sports.

Virginia Football, ASU Baseball (absolutely gorgeous), Ducks Hoops & Football, and the Candy-stripe IU alts for Hockey and Basketball are some of my personal favorites.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to your takes on UCLA, Syracuse, Michigan, and Iowa, to name a few. 

1F6QbSq.png

So now we have both sides of the State Pride helmet sorted out, just thought we'd see it on top of the uniform it belongs to. 

Up next is Colorado State's future conference mate?  Texas Tech: 

RrlfYAj.png

I love the GUNS UP motif. Under Armour has done a phenomenal job with the Red Raiders and I wanted to continue down that path with Nike in this universe. I don't like how Tech decided to change away from the proprietary font recently, as I feel that it takes away from a concise look. Despite my not having anything against them, there are no more grey uniforms for any team. Nothing against the color, just didn't want to clutter the selection up. 

Um4HtMk.png  hvfMQy4.jpg

zromfJu.jpg r0p0Y1X.png 

Football - There really isn't a whole lot that is different here from what they wear now. The obvious change is from UA to Nike and with that comes a template change. The UA template comes with the pointed shoulder design which really helps sell the GUNS UP stripe, and Nike doesn't have that. So that shifted the design of the stripe from a pointed design to one that is a bit straighter that ends on the sleeve caps. The helmets I don't think change a bit from their real life counterparts. And I don't think the pants really do either. 

Hockey -  Texas Tech is one of the few colleges that I've so far come across that has both a roller and ice hockey team. And both look really good on their respective surfaces. Here for ice hockey, the uniforms come over to the GUNS UP side. On the sleeves, I used a straightened out version of the GUNS UP stripe. On the hem, it's basically the same thing just on both sides of the jersey. I also added in the football style stripe to the shoulders. Interlocking TT on the chest of all three jerseys. Pants have the same stripe as the football pants. Socks match the hem stripes from the jerseys. 

Baseball - I tried to do the same thing I did for hockey with the football style GUNS UP stripe, but it didn't work out or look right. That being said, the hats are black/black and red/black with the interlocking TT. Slightly smaller striping on the sleeves and around the collar. Home whites are pinstriped. Pants feature a similar pants stripe to the other 2 sports so far. 

Basketball -  Basketball had the same issue as baseball, but this time it was really no issue. I found this with Auburn, and I found it here but I love the "incomplete" look of the striping around the collar that UA is becoming more and more known for. It worked with the motif I thought. so the collar and shoulder striping both are incomplete and don't go all the way around. Arched Texas Tech and Red Raiders on the red uniform. Hem stripe is the same as the hockey hem stripe. Shorts stripe, thanks to the cut of the shorts, became half GUNS UP stripe, half pants stripe which I thought really, really worked. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I really like Tech, although IMO the hockey jerseys just don't look right to me. I don't know if it's the hem striping or the Guns up striping below the shoulders, but it just doesn't look like a hockey uniform to me. That being said I don't think there's anything else you really could have done that wouldn't impact the rest of the sports which all look really good.

With CSU, maybe extend the blue lines past the C's to the front of the helmet a bit, that way both C's have the double blue line on the "back side" of the C.

For Tech, I'd lower the top of the stripe on the basketball shorts. That's the only uniform with a colored waistband, so I feel like it's too close with that color there. With the baseball jerseys, I'd like a black hat with a red brim. But I'm a huge fan of contrasting brims.

As for gray not being on any set, I would keep it for Washington State, whenever you get there.

8 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

With CSU, maybe extend the blue lines past the C's to the front of the helmet a bit, that way both C's have the double blue line on the "back side" of the C.

For Tech, I'd lower the top of the stripe on the basketball shorts. That's the only uniform with a colored waistband, so I feel like it's too close with that color there. With the baseball jerseys, I'd like a black hat with a red brim. But I'm a huge fan of contrasting brims.

As for gray not being on any set, I would keep it for Washington State, whenever you get there.

did you mean for baseball? 

N4sitRm.png

Because they not only got one grey, but two :lol:

I did try with the State Pride helmet to do a whole wrap around with the stripes for CSU but it just looked wrong so it became what it became. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 10/22/2018 at 1:55 PM, Section30 said:

I really like Tech, although IMO the hockey jerseys just don't look right to me. I don't know if it's the hem striping or the Guns up striping below the shoulders, but it just doesn't look like a hockey uniform to me. That being said I don't think there's anything else you really could have done that wouldn't impact the rest of the sports which all look really good.

That was my fear/thoughts as well. The hem is definitely unusual to the sport and so is the GUNS UP design on the shoulders. 

cHl8HCR.png

Here's another option. I thought about putting the white on the end closer to the sleeves but I wanted to see if this fixed the problem first. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 10/30/2018 at 8:10 AM, Section30 said:

It'd definitely an improvement, it looks more like the stripe under the shoulders you would see on teams like the Bruins, I like it!

kC19W56.jpg

Applied the fix to all the jerseys. 

On 10/23/2018 at 7:55 AM, Dan O'Mac said:

For Tech, I'd lower the top of the stripe on the basketball shorts. That's the only uniform with a colored waistband, so I feel like it's too close with that color there. 

nxvF92J.png

Took the suggestion and moved the stripe down a little bit on the shorts

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I'm always apologizing for being away for a time I determine to be too long, but it is true. I like this project, this is by far the biggest one I've ever attempted and I really want to see it to completion. That being said I did have a rush of college projects to get through as well as some other design projects to get through as well. 

hI4Bi2U.png

ZYQ3tIm.png GftAqqj.jpg

WGzfuY9.png t6aDa9X.png

Even with the relative youth of a lot of the UAB athletic teams here, they really haven't had a "bad" look. Of course that is subjective between us all, but still. There hasn't been a UAB team that I found that has taken their respective playing surface looking like trash. That being said, it is time to bring them all together under a new-ish look. 

Football -  Back from the dead and kicking teams' asses, the Blazers football team and program as a whole jumped to Under Armour. The football team kept their last Nike look and transferred it in essence to UA with a few changes here and there. So naturally I did the same thing. The helmets are gold and white with the fire breathing dragon on both sides. I contemplated returning the dragon scales pattern back to the helmets but I wasn't sold on the end look so I dropped it. Like I said, the jerseys look very similar to what they wear now and wore previously with Nike IRL. Biggest change to the uniforms is on the white uniforms with the gold numbers becoming green. Scale pattern is now in the sleeve caps. For the pants, I played with the bottom of the dragon logo to create a tail-like stripe. No gold uniform for football. Also staying around are the Children's Harbor uniforms, which are now being extended to the rest of the sports. 

Hockey - Hockey at UAB is by far the youngest of the 4 sports, but looks good on the ice. For them, I gave them almost Red Wings style uniforms, with the dragon logo on the front of the home and away uniforms and the scale pattern in the sleeve stripes. I gave them a gold uniform that echoes their club hockey uniforms with a chest stripe. To make it different, I added in the scale pattern with a gradient that fades the pattern in where it needs to be seen and takes it out where it doesn't need to be. I felt the design worked well for the Children's uniforms with the appropriate striping. 

Baseball - Baseball does appear to be the more simpler of the sports, which can be owed to the simpler nature of the sports' uniforms' as a whole. Gave them two hats, one that's all green with the B logo on the front of it and one what's green and gold with the dragon logo on it. Uniforms are simple with UAB on the chest and the sleeves filled in with the scales pattern. Pants have a slightly adapted tail stripe to fit the pants a little big better. Children's uniform gets the baseball treatment. No gold uniform for baseball, given that I didn't find any historical evidence of them wearing gold in the past. 

Basketball - Basketball has also had pretty simple uniforms in recent years and I kept that going. Down the side of the uniforms is the same stripe from the gold hockey uniforms with the gradient. Of course this time, the scales and gradient are oriented to fit the basketball tops. The shorts have the tail stripe that goes up onto the waistband. UAB on the chests of them all. For the Children's uniforms, I used a chest stripe and on the shorts I put the stripes around the bottom of the legs. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Could you explain about the Northwestern stripes on your Children's Harbor uniforms? UAB football also uses the dragon scales on their Children's Harbor uniforms. Aside from that, as well as the weird striping application on the baseball pants, everything's well.

Archived