colinturner95

The 1972 Project: SMU Mustangs

Recommended Posts

You might have noticed the new logo and username change. As well as my former username served me for the last 10 years, I felt that as I am a year away from graduating, it was time to really streamline my online personas, as well as just trying to have a more professional outlook across the board. 

 

jGOuUsP.png

 

xY4iQ9Y.png ckKoVjn.png

gkvrNKK.png xBNvFGk.png

 

Football - For me WKU is a red, grey and white team. I think it looks better than the black currently used by the team. The current uniforms are just really plain to me, which there isn't anything wrong with, but I think there are better options. First off, dumped all traces of the chrome helmets. No more of that nonsense. White and grey helmets, with the towel (?) waving logo on the sides, triple stripe down the middle, red facemasks on both. Rather than go straight back to the Colts-style uniforms, I went with something close to Oregon State's previous uniforms, but not quite the same. Grey collars on the home/away. Went to a more "traditional" number font. I don't remember what my rationale was for on the pant stripes looking how they do. On my hand-drawn sketch, that's how they came out and I went with it. 

 

Hockey - Much like Tulsa, WKU doesn't have much of a hockey presence on campus. So the result was a pretty safe set of uniforms, that fit in with the theme. Stripes on the hem and the sleeves, as well as smaller stripes around the shoulder yokes. Towel logo on the chest, numbers on the sleeves. Pants have a slightly cut stripe on the sides, socks match the hems. Two helmets, for mixing and matching if wanted. There's also a grey set of pants, which i'll admit is close to white, but this is (imaginary) college hockey, let's have some fun with it. 

 

Baseball - WKU baseball currently, at least according to my research, uses the Walgreens World Series Champion Nationals W on top of a baseball logo. As cool as that might be, I scrapped it to better fit in with the theme. Two hats/helmets, red/grey and a white front panel/grey, both with the Towel logo on the front. Jerseys have the stripes on the sleeves, and down the placket as well. Created a script logo I thought worked for the team. Pants have a whole triple stripe down the side, along with striped socks

 

Basketball - Of all the teams, the basketball team has a pretty good existing framework I could work in, so there wasn't a lot of change TBH that went into this one. Biggest changes were the changing of black to grey, WKU rather than the stacked Western Kentucky number sandwich, and the addition of side stripes on the jersey and shorts. 

 

C&C welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the updated WKU logo. My favorite part about this set is probably the baseball script though. Glad you didn't just use the WKU mark from the logo, but went with a unique look instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love just about everything about this set, definitely one of your best! I never saw WKU as a strictly red and grey/silver school but I do love that you decided to go that way with this look. The baseball especially looks impeccable. I don’t know much about hockey uniforms, but the ones you made look great, white over grey is a unique look, and i like it a lot! The only change I would make is keeping the stacked wordmarks, even though i know they exist with just the abbreviation, I’ve never actually happen to come across them when watching a wku game, they always have the stacked wordmarks. And keeping the stack wordmarks I think it could be a nice throwback to the 1971 final four team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the minimal red for Tulsa, but it should break up the white and gold wherever possible. That's most evident on your blue dominant pieces. Same goes for WKU in regards to red breaking up the white and gray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, GriffinM6 said:

Love the updated WKU logo. My favorite part about this set is probably the baseball script though. Glad you didn't just use the WKU mark from the logo, but went with a unique look instead. 

 

I definitely thought about it. But it felt more like a BP jersey with the WKU logo on the front. I'm definitely glad I put the script together. 

 

On 1/28/2020 at 1:49 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I love just about everything about this set, definitely one of your best! I never saw WKU as a strictly red and grey/silver school but I do love that you decided to go that way with this look. The baseball especially looks impeccable. I don’t know much about hockey uniforms, but the ones you made look great, white over grey is a unique look, and i like it a lot! The only change I would make is keeping the stacked wordmarks, even though i know they exist with just the abbreviation, I’ve never actually happen to come across them when watching a wku game, they always have the stacked wordmarks. And keeping the stack wordmarks I think it could be a nice throwback to the 1971 final four team.

 

RAEexE0.png

Sounds fair enough so I'll meet you a bit in the middle. Home and away gets the stacked wordmark treatment. Alternate stays the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UCLA looks really good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ajOQ4YU.png

 

QnsOT6i.png TO1k6Uq.png

7VgnKEK.png KaDCwC2.png

 

Football - I might be in the vocal minority on this, but I do not like the move back to the Run-DMC era uniforms. They look too much like Oklahoma to me. So largely a return to the previous set of uniforms. Helmets stay glossy cardinal and white with the Razorback logo on both sides. Jerseys have the tusk design that terminates toward the back of the uniforms. Big change here is the use of Arkansas on all the jerseys. Pants have the tusk design down the sides. At the same time, I also wanted to make Arkansas not look like Alabama, and as such, there is the black uniforms. 

 

Hockey - I really wanted the tusk design to work down the arms kind of Flyers style, but it ended up not really working out how I wanted it to so the stripes go from collar to the end of the sleeves. Big solid color hem, Razorback on the chests. Tusk stripe on the side of the pants. Socks have a big stripe on them. Alternates are borrowed straight from the club team, with vintage white replaced with real white and the baseball A on the chest. 

 

Baseball - A lot like football, with the tusk on the sleeves and down the side of the pants. Used the slanted wordmarks on these, numbers under the chest. Solid color socks, one main hat/helmet: red and red with the A on the front. Alternate is a black out. 

 

Baseball - In keeping up with the simplicity, the basketball uniforms really don't see much change. Just in the shorts with one tusk being used. Not a whole lot really to say 

 

C&C always welcome and appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 4:36 PM, colinturner95 said:

Sticking with the C-USA, next up is Rice: 

 

85wVQck.png

 

fK14KKF.png ljU2Aoe.png

SBIpcbP.png tCBu2Jm.png

 

My biggest complaint about Rice's uniforms is that, well they're either plain or catalog based. Beyond that, even being an Adidas football school, they haven't really jumped the shark in, well, ever. The biggest change I made was to take grey out of the color scheme. While it seems a large scale change for such a simple team, none of their redesigned logos really make heavy use of the grey, so now its gone. 

 

Football - I really can't complain about Rice. They've kept a simple look for a while and I didn't feel the need to go overboard, but I did want to do more than just a plain navy and white jersey set. So I clipped the wings (heh) from the newer Owl logo and put them in the sleeve caps. Used the new Rice wordmark and the new number font as well. On the pants, I used the other side of the logo's wing and stuck it down near the leg opening. Gothic R remains on both helmets as well as on the hip side of the pants. 

 

Hockey - This came as a bit of a shock to me but Rice has no hockey teams of any kind. With no historical precedent to build off of, I put the wings on the sleeves in a tapered manner (gets smaller from front to back of the jersey) with a simple stripe on the hem. Gothic R on the front of both, Owl head logo on the shoulders. Pants have the other wing like the football pants. 

 

Baseball - Baseball actually has the most fun out of all the uniform sets. Fairly simple, like the rest of them, with the wings on the sleeves. Only difference here is that the pants wing didn't work on the pants, so there's just a stripe down the pants. I gave them a second navy jersey after seeing what I assumed to be a jersey the real life team wears and made it something of a home alternate, if they feel like wearing navy at home. Biggest difference is contrasting sleeves and Owls on the front. 

 

Basketball - Despite being the sport that made the most use of grey, there is no more grey uniform. Stuck the wings up on the shoulders by the collar and the pants, in this case shorts wings in their place. 

 

C&C welcome!

 

Also, all the teams I've done so far (32/130) are up on the combo picker site which you can get to here or via my signature. 


I’m so sorry that I’m commenting over a year later, but you have a bunch of great concepts here!  I’d be hard pressed to find a bad one in the whole bunch!  That being said, you mentioned that you took the gray away from Rice.  William Marsh Rice chose the colors blue and gray to represent the North and the South in unity, so I doubt the Owls will ever take away gray.  Again, though, great concepts and I’m really enjoying this series!  Keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hQlzT8W.png

 

46SS8tq.png dbLtIj6.png

xWfD2BN.png g8vVOM5.png

 

Football - After going through what feels like a bevy of one-off uniforms throughout the last couple years, it was time to nail down a good look for the Jayhawks. Using the pants stripe from the past uniforms as the starting point, that's where we begin. Helmets are blue and red, with the KU logo on both sides. I retired the white helmet, since their rivals have a silver helmet and have been using a white helmet a bit more now. Jerseys have the stripes on the sleeves, Kansas on the chest, Trajan numbers underneath that. Pants have the bold stripes on the sides. Alternate jersey is red, with script Jayhawks replacing Kansas. 

 

Hockey - The club team currently utilize white jerseys that are too red heavy, and I can't tell if they currently use red or blue as their color jersey. That being said, changes were made. Stripes on the sleeves and the hem match what is used on the football uniforms. I used the whole Jayhawk logo on the home and away jerseys, with the KU on the shoulders. Pants have the same stripe down the side, KU on the front of the pants. Alternate red jersey has the script logo on the chest, with the Jayhawk logo under it. 

 

Baseball - I had a few different ideas in mind, but I ended up going with the more classic of the options. I stuck with the button down jerseys, with arched Kansas on the chest. The team currently puts the Jayhawk head on the chest, in place of a number. I liked it, thought it was unique and stuck with it. Stripes on the sleeve echo the other two sports. Hats have the full bodied bird, on either a blue/red hat, or a white-paneled front hat. Pants have the same stripe down the side. The Jayhawks felt like a stirrups team, so you see those present. Alternate jersey uses the same script treatment as the hockey jersey. 

 

Basketball - Probably the best known sports team on campus, I wanted their uniforms to feel like they're a part of this unified look, but also keep their unique look. So I went back to what I consider their quintessential uniforms, at least the uniforms I most closely associate with them, which actually worked in well with the new look. Split the stripe in half around the neck, arms and at the bottom of the shorts. Arched Kansas on the home and away jerseys, with the number underneath.  On the back from top to bottom is Jayhawk head, arced name, and number under all that. Shorts have the full stripe on the waistband, on the left side, the KU logo and on the right, the Jayhawk head. Red alternate, though seldom seen at least during my research, gets the script on the chest, with the number in the same place as the Jayhawk head on the other uniforms. 

 

C&C welcome!!

 

On 2/7/2020 at 10:08 AM, Yee Yee Go 'Stros! said:


I’m so sorry that I’m commenting over a year later, but you have a bunch of great concepts here!  I’d be hard pressed to find a bad one in the whole bunch!  That being said, you mentioned that you took the gray away from Rice.  William Marsh Rice chose the colors blue and gray to represent the North and the South in unity, so I doubt the Owls will ever take away gray.  Again, though, great concepts and I’m really enjoying this series!  Keep it up!

 

Not going to lie, I honestly didn't know that. That's actually really interesting, and I wish I knew that when I designed them. 😬

 

Glad you're enjoying the series!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kansas looks great, that red hockey jersey with the Jayhawks script is amazing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KavhiRO.png

 

tPd52Tn.png 2MOBSMw.png

xvKYbSz.png LISMp8t.png

 

Football - One of the most unique identities in college sports gets a bit of a makeover with bits and pieces borrowed from different eras. The helmet, has been the same design for as long as I can remember, with the H logo on both sides. I really considered doing what they had done this past season, with the H on on side and the islands on the other. I tried it, didn't like it in the end. Black and green matte helmets. Jerseys have "racing-stripe" shoulder designs, with a sublimated Polynesian pattern design in it. HAWAII on the chest, same number font as years past. Pants have the Colt Brennan-era diamonds on the pant leg, with the H logo on the hip. And of course, the Rainbow Warriors throwback jersey. 

 

Hockey - Hockey really borrowed a lot from football because there really isn't much of hockey in Hawaii history. So the Polynesian stripes go from collar to end of the sleeves. H logo on the chests of all 3 jerseys. Diamond pattern stripes on the hem. Same diamond pattern on the left legs of the pants. Socks have the same Poly stripe minus the actual pattern. There are two pant options, black and green. Rainbow Warriors fauxback joins the group as well. 

 

Baseball - On the diamond, pullovers and racing stripes are all the rage here. Two hats, green/black and black/black with the H on the front. Jerseys have the same style stripes as errybody else. Hawaii on the chest, number found underneath it. Pants have the diamond stripes on left leg. Black pants make for a black-out alternate option. Rainbow Warriors option for them as well. 

 

Basketball - For basketball, Poly stripes on the shoulders. HAWAII on the chest. Pants have the triangle stripe on the waistbands, Diamonds on the left legs. I saw that basketball IRL does have their own rainbow style jerseys, but I instead went for the fauxback route to keep things consistent with everyone else. 

 

C&C welcome!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, colinturner95 said:

AR1jTH0.png

 

p0ymESS.png TdGvfOe.png

esLmr1d.png iLJwI0D.png

 

Football - Tulsa jumped ship to Adidas and ... that's really all that can be said about that. They admittedly cleaned things up going from a templated mess with Nike to a simpler, less mismatch look. What I tried doing was keeping that simpler look with a more Tulsa vibe. My goal was to maximize blue and gold and use red mostly as a trim color. So on the helmet, I brought back the stripe to more prominence, kept the classic Tulsa script on the sides of the helmets. White helmet is an alternate option. Jerseys now have the same stripes on the sleeves. I found a new font I thought worked well for the number font and compliments the script well. No alternate jersey, the gold didn't work for me as the alternate. Three options for pants, all with the same stripe down the side. 

 

Hockey - Tulsa currently has zero hockey presence on campus - varsity or club. So i went down a traditional path, with a classic stripe on the sleeve/hem combo. For logo, I went with the full Hurricane flag + Script combo for the home/away. One set of pants, blue with the stripes down the side, Hurricane flag logo on the front. Gold helmet goes with the home and away, but could see some appearances with the alternate. Socks have the same stripes as the jersey. this time, the alternate works as a gold jersey, with the only major difference being the TU logo becoming the chest logo and a blue helmet option. 

 

Baseball - The revival of Tulsa's baseball program in jersey from comes with a pretty consistent look from the other sports. One hat and helmet combo, blue/gold with the hats having the TU logo and the helmets having the Script. Jerseys have the script as the main logo, large stripes on the sleeves. Name and Number on the back. Pants have the stripe down the sides. Alternate is a gold rush uniform, with the TU logo on the left, number on the right. 

 

Basketball - For these I used a lotta bit from the current uniforms, namely the small striping around the arms, collar and at the bottom of the shorts. I borrowed a peripheral idea from the 2000's era uniforms from when Tulsa made it to that year's Elite Eight and the uniforms had a funky side panel striping thing going on and so I used about 8% of that idea and had the stripes cut at an angle on the home and away. Hurricane Flag logo on the sides of the shorts, Script logo on the chest of the home and away. Alternate gets a bit more traditional, with the TU replacing the flags, and the jersey stripe meeting the armhole instead of being cut at an angle. 

 

C&C welcome as always!

 

 

I love using metallic gold across the board for the Golden Hurricane, who have always had one of my favorite looks in college sports when they don’t muddy it up with BFBS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 3:10 PM, colinturner95 said:

KavhiRO.png

 

tPd52Tn.png 2MOBSMw.png

xvKYbSz.png LISMp8t.png

 

Football - One of the most unique identities in college sports gets a bit of a makeover with bits and pieces borrowed from different eras. The helmet, has been the same design for as long as I can remember, with the H logo on both sides. I really considered doing what they had done this past season, with the H on on side and the islands on the other. I tried it, didn't like it in the end. Black and green matte helmets. Jerseys have "racing-stripe" shoulder designs, with a sublimated Polynesian pattern design in it. HAWAII on the chest, same number font as years past. Pants have the Colt Brennan-era diamonds on the pant leg, with the H logo on the hip. And of course, the Rainbow Warriors throwback jersey. 

 

Hockey - Hockey really borrowed a lot from football because there really isn't much of hockey in Hawaii history. So the Polynesian stripes go from collar to end of the sleeves. H logo on the chests of all 3 jerseys. Diamond pattern stripes on the hem. Same diamond pattern on the left legs of the pants. Socks have the same Poly stripe minus the actual pattern. There are two pant options, black and green. Rainbow Warriors fauxback joins the group as well. 

 

Baseball - On the diamond, pullovers and racing stripes are all the rage here. Two hats, green/black and black/black with the H on the front. Jerseys have the same style stripes as errybody else. Hawaii on the chest, number found underneath it. Pants have the diamond stripes on left leg. Black pants make for a black-out alternate option. Rainbow Warriors option for them as well. 

 

Basketball - For basketball, Poly stripes on the shoulders. HAWAII on the chest. Pants have the triangle stripe on the waistbands, Diamonds on the left legs. I saw that basketball IRL does have their own rainbow style jerseys, but I instead went for the fauxback route to keep things consistent with everyone else. 

 

C&C welcome!

 

 

Not bad. I don’t think the dark green and black contrast well enough. If I were in charge I’d update the rainbow with the modern logo and use it full-time. 

 

I like that your baseball and basketball concepts don’t generally have black and dark green touching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

MsG9KnM.png

 

Ogelozu.png ZSPp0rp.png

ZhO77JN.png 79rLxMr.png

 

Football - Ever imagine what the Cleveland Browns would look like with a super modern flair? Well now you can! Since they debuted the pointy stripe on the helmet, I felt that would be a good place to start to get away from the catalog look. With the motion of the logo, which isn't a lot I grant you, felt like enough to engage in stripes that come onto the chest of the jersey. Before that, the pointy helmet stripes I reference exist on two different shells, orange and brown. Full BG with Falcon on the orange helmets, just the Falcon on the brown. Like I mentioned, big sweeping stripes on the chest. Number font started as Agency, with serifs to match the Bowling Green wordmarks. Pants have the stripe coming up from the bottom of the pants. 

 

Hockey - I definitely didn't want to screw too much with these. Bowling Green already has a pretty good uniform set as it is. Biggest change is that the stripes on the sleeves are pointed like the football uniforms. I also dropped the college wordmark treatment and replaced it with the full logo on the home and away and just the falcon on the alternate. Pants have the pointed stripe in the same manner as football. Socks have the same stripe as is on the hem. 

 

Baseball - Baseball ended up working a lot like football, minus the stripes coming all the way on to the chest. Before that, a few options for headwear. I couldn't decide which version of the brown hat I liked the most, so I kept them both because it's college and why not? Also added a white paneled option. Jerseys have the stripes like I mentioned, script Falcons on all three of the jerseys. Pants have the stripes coming up from the bottom like everyone else. 

 

Basketball - For basketball, I went with a similar stripe to the hockey hem stripes around the neck and arms, with the pointy stripe down the sides of the jersey. Did a number sandwich with the wordmarks on the home and away, script falcons on the orange jersey. On the shorts I did the same pointy stripe coming up from the bottom combined with a stripe that wraps around the back of the shorts. 

 

C&C welcome!

 

On 2/17/2020 at 8:52 AM, MCM0313 said:

Not bad. I don’t think the dark green and black contrast well enough. If I were in charge I’d update the rainbow with the modern logo and use it full-time. 

 

I like that your baseball and basketball concepts don’t generally have black and dark green touching. 

 

Hawaii has two good identities, both the current and the Rainbow. But honestly, I prefer them in the Warrior identity. Nothing against the Rainbow logo and uniforms, which I like as an alternate, used sparingly throughout various seasons, but I don't think that it's their strongest identity. 

 

Who knows though, could be another concept for another day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

 

MsG9KnM.png

 

Ogelozu.png ZSPp0rp.png

ZhO77JN.png 79rLxMr.png

 

Football - Ever imagine what the Cleveland Browns would look like with a super modern flair? Well now you can! Since they debuted the pointy stripe on the helmet, I felt that would be a good place to start to get away from the catalog look. With the motion of the logo, which isn't a lot I grant you, felt like enough to engage in stripes that come onto the chest of the jersey. Before that, the pointy helmet stripes I reference exist on two different shells, orange and brown. Full BG with Falcon on the orange helmets, just the Falcon on the brown. Like I mentioned, big sweeping stripes on the chest. Number font started as Agency, with serifs to match the Bowling Green wordmarks. Pants have the stripe coming up from the bottom of the pants. 

 

Hockey - I definitely didn't want to screw too much with these. Bowling Green already has a pretty good uniform set as it is. Biggest change is that the stripes on the sleeves are pointed like the football uniforms. I also dropped the college wordmark treatment and replaced it with the full logo on the home and away and just the falcon on the alternate. Pants have the pointed stripe in the same manner as football. Socks have the same stripe as is on the hem. 

 

Baseball - Baseball ended up working a lot like football, minus the stripes coming all the way on to the chest. Before that, a few options for headwear. I couldn't decide which version of the brown hat I liked the most, so I kept them both because it's college and why not? Also added a white paneled option. Jerseys have the stripes like I mentioned, script Falcons on all three of the jerseys. Pants have the stripes coming up from the bottom like everyone else. 

 

Basketball - For basketball, I went with a similar stripe to the hockey hem stripes around the neck and arms, with the pointy stripe down the sides of the jersey. Did a number sandwich with the wordmarks on the home and away, script falcons on the orange jersey. On the shorts I did the same pointy stripe coming up from the bottom combined with a stripe that wraps around the back of the shorts. 

 

C&C welcome!

 

 

Hawaii has two good identities, both the current and the Rainbow. But honestly, I prefer them in the Warrior identity. Nothing against the Rainbow logo and uniforms, which I like as an alternate, used sparingly throughout various seasons, but I don't think that it's their strongest identity. 

 

Who knows though, could be another concept for another day. 

Love the Bowling Green concepts. I’ve long felt they have a tendency to neglect the brown in favor of the orange. These pay attention to both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ct7nLPb.png

 

7lSF0Eb.png 0wNn5JS.png

TaeRWdm.png 35hkx8V.png

 

Football - Found it sort of ironic that for a Massachusetts school, especially one that plays in Gillette Stadium to use a striping pattern borrowed from the Bills. I don't remember why I chose that specific stripe but I felt that it fit UMass and away we went. Kept the primary helmet white, new stripe down the middle of it. Simplified the UMass logo which is now on both sides. Stripes on the sleeves, spoiler alert, these are the only uniforms that get the full "MASSACHUSETTS" on it anywhere.  Pants are simple, have the stripes down the side. No true alternate, just an all red uniform. 

 

Hockey - Not really a lot that variates from the IRL uniforms from a certain point of view. Stripes on the sleeves and hem, down the sides of the pants, and on the socks. Much like Bowling Green, got rid of the college wordmark and replaced it with the UMass logo. Really not much else to say there, no alternate uniforms here. 

 

Baseball - Baseball really doesn't deviate too far. Two hats, all red and white paneled hats with UMass on the front. Two-button jerseys, UMass on the front of them, number underneath it. Stripes on the sleeves and on the collar. Pant stripes down the side as well as stripes on the socks. No true alternate here either, total white-out option works instead. 

 

Basketball - For the hardwood boys, again, we didn't stray too far from God on this one. Solid color striping around the collar and the arms, as well as on the waistband. Full stripes down the sides of the jerseys and onto the pants. 

 

Didn't give you guys a lot on this one, but I'm always open to hear from you guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just when I was getting happy that my school was finally streamlining their uniform look, you go and make me jealous of what UMass could've had.

 

These are great! I'm loving the simplified logo, and especially seeing it on the chest of the hockey jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.