bkknight95

The 1972 Project: TCU Horned Frogs

22 hours ago, Section30 said:

I would remove the arched Texas on the hockey jerseys and shrink the logo a bit. The Longhorn logo is iconic enough to stand alone on the jersey, and right now it is being crammed with the arched Texas. The logo is also really big right now. Other than that this is a good, simple look that Texas should have.

XZSRmGL.png

Took the arced Texas off. I also moved it up just a touch and shrunk it just a touch as well. It's tough with a logo that's so wide and not super tall to reach that point where it still looks like it fits without being way too small. 

10 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

XZSRmGL.png

Took the arced Texas off. I also moved it up just a touch and shrunk it just a touch as well. It's tough with a logo that's so wide and not super tall to reach that point where it still looks like it fits without being way too small. 

My $.02:

Firstly, the hockey jerseys are WAY better without the wordmark.

Secondly, if you're going to outline the numbers on the black jersey, why not outline the logo as well?

Third, I'm not a fan of the black at all, and I don't see why you need three jerseys for this set, anyway. But, if you are going to add black, then why not add black outlines to the stripes and such to the other jerseys so that the black ends up on all three and not just seeming like a BFBS.

2 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

My $.02:

Firstly, the hockey jerseys are WAY better without the wordmark.

Secondly, if you're going to outline the numbers on the black jersey, why not outline the logo as well?

Third, I'm not a fan of the black at all, and I don't see why you need three jerseys for this set, anyway. But, if you are going to add black, then why not add black outlines to the stripes and such to the other jerseys so that the black ends up on all three and not just seeming like a BFBS.

1. Totally agree. Not sure what I was thinking with the wordmark TBH. 

2. mainly because my whole rationale for the black uniforms came from these black basketball uniforms which only have the numbers outlined. 

Image result for texas black basketball uniforms

3. I had knocked around the idea of more than just a home and away for Texas when I started this project. But I wasn't sure if it would be throwback, fauxback or BFBS, which it truthfully is. I chose BFBS, mainly because it's something different, for football at the very least. I had a feeling it would be unpopular but wanted to see some reactions before I revisited it. 

19 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

XZSRmGL.png

That looks much better, I wish this was real

After much furious internal debate... I've decided to dump the black from Texas .

K0q1nDy.png s2IW5Ko.png

R4ttw7p.png kPLh8bJ.png

After a failed attempt at a fauxback that would work for all four sports, it was simpler to just dump the alternates altogether. 

The black can work for hockey and basketball, but dropping it from football was probably the better call. Regardless, they all look pretty good. 

vs3jTJ5.png XZSRmGL.png

ICeYK82.png iigpi28.png

One last attempt at alternate uniforms before I move on. Hockey and basketball get the black uniforms restored. For football and baseball, I turned the clock backwards. Football wears an early 60's uniform which admittedly doesn't actually appear much different at first glance. Biggest differences are in the helmet which was striped for only a couple years and the only time it ever was in documented Longhorn history.  Number up above the Longhorn logo and grey facemasks. Jerseys dump many of the traditional identifiers. No Texas script, no TV numbers and No Bevo logo on the collar. Slightly thinner stripes on the sleeves, non-poky font and no NOB. Plain white pants, white socks, black cleats. Baseball recycles the popular 2017 throwback look with use of vintage white from one of the uniforms unveiled prior to this season. 

ZPPBkLb.png

E7YhIqm.png mv3BkoE.png 

W9xYccY.png M8v4S0l.png

For SDSU it was pretty easy. The Aztec Pattern has become a staple of football and basketball uniforms and it was about time that it spread to the rest of the athletics department. 

Football - Not very different from real life. Biggest change is the helmet. I love the Aztec pattern on the helmet but I feel like it gets lost in a sense from a distance. Then I realized that a pattern of that detail gets lost at a distance on anything. So I just put the pattern in a wide stripe on the helmet. Restored the SD logo on the side of the helmet. Jerseys, really don't deviate. I think the only change is contrasting color collars. Pants gain a couple new members, white and red just for the options. And with SDSU being a member of Nike's N7 partnership, I felt a turquoise jersey was a bit too much for football, but not the other sports, so football gets a turquoise helmet . 

Hockey - I never got the chance to play SDSU in ACHA hockey. I retired from the sport competitively this past year, right before BSU joined the Pac-8 hockey conference so I missed my shot at playing the Aztecs on the Ice. But anyways, got rid of the Blackhawk clones and replaced it with some more in line uniforms. On the sleeves, Aztec Pattern stripes. On the hem, the stripe is a bit different which was done to keep the Aztec pattern looking consistent and not stretched or warped. Pants have the same stripe down the side, as well as the socks. N7 alternate jersey with much of the same just less scarlet and more turquoise. 

Baseball - For the diamond, I went with a faux-vest look with the pattern on the sleeves of the jerseys. AZTECS to grace the front of all 3 uniforms. Hats are simple, scarlet/black and the inverse. Pants were going to have the pattern stripe down the side but it was too small to make it look good so simple blank pants, as well as a black option for a blackout look. N7 alternate with much of the same looks. 

Basketball - The only team at SDSU sponsored by the Jordan Brand, but still carries much of the same looks as the other sports. AZTECS on the white jerseys with the pattern down the sides of the jerseys and shorts. Returned the stacked San Diego State on the front of the away uniform. And to round us all out, N7 alternate with the same aesthetic. 

C&C welcome! and just a heads up, I am heading on vacation in Arizona for the next couple weeks so posts might be a little delayed 

^This, this is the look that I want to see SDSU when they inevitably join the the Pac-12. It's simple, and yet unique, it would stand out among, and yet compliment, all the historic looks in the conference (USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc.)

Very good work on all of this.

Wow, SDSU looks amazing. I love the inclusion of N7 as inspiration for the alternates. My only gripe is that the NoB on the home jerseys are all kinda difficult to read. I’d suggest using white instead of red on them.  Do you plan on using the N7 for other schools?

13 hours ago, mamiller99 said:

Wow, SDSU looks amazing. I love the inclusion of N7 as inspiration for the alternates. My only gripe is that the NoB on the home jerseys are all kinda difficult to read. I’d suggest using white instead of red on them.  Do you plan on using the N7 for other schools?

wqSoCqU.png 0Zp6I15.png

Uj0SHqZ.png BUXL5o4.png

Fair enough. I was keeping things pretty much the same but yeah, the names were hard to read. So they got changed to white. 

As for the remaining N7 teams, going off of the teams that wore the basketball uniforms this past season, those teams will be: Florida State, Oklahoma State, New Mexico, and Stanford

Have you done Wisconsin, Iowa State, Arizona State, or Notre Dame yet?

21 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Have you done Wisconsin, Iowa State, Arizona State, or Notre Dame yet?

So far out of those teams, I've only completed Arizona State. 

I don’t know if you are taking requests, but I’d love to see what your Notre Dame concept would look like! Maybe even an alt from the Joe Montana Green Jerseys era. 

Vacation has slowed down a little bit which gave me some time to get back on Illustrator and get the next team ready: 

YsZx7Yf.png

tEHCseI.png zYLKvRI.png

fKbWld5.png K1iTc1i.png

So TCU decided to complicate things by releasing some damn good new uniforms before I got around to designing them. So the plan changed a little bit when it came down to it, but I think I found a good happy medium. 

Football - So as I said, the new uniforms were pretty damn good IMO. On the helmets, I got rid of the facemask color stripe, I always felt that facemask stripes can work, but not in this case. Full logo on the sides. Jerseys have the new Black Panther Horned Frog pattern around the neck, with a halved stripe from the helmet on the sleeves. Kept the number font the same, definitely works here. Pants have the same pointy stripe going down the side. 

Hockey - So hell froze over for these Frogs, and now the aesthetic matches. Halved stripes around the sleeves, with a straight stripe on the hems. Full TCU logo on the chest with the Vibranium pattern around the neck. Gave them a couple different pant options between purple and black which have the pointed stripe down the side. Also gave 3 helmet options between the three main colors. 

Baseball - First off the bat, to keep things pretty baseball classic, the T'Challa necklace pattern (I'm sorry, ill stop with this one), became sublimated so it wasn't as In Your Face as the other two have been. Halved stripes on the sleeves. Arched TCU on the home and away jerseys, with the Athletic Frog logo on the chest for the alternate. Pants also have the halved stripes because I feel that it worked better with the pants. 

Basketball - Finally, for the hardwood, the full color pattern returns to the neckline. Arched TCU across the chest of all 3 jerseys. Full pointy stripe running down the side of the jerseys. For the shorts, half stripe around the bottom of the shorts that end on the side hem line. HORNED FROGS above the stripe going along with the angle of the stripe. 

C&C welcome!

5 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

Vacation has slowed down a little bit which gave me some time to get back on Illustrator and get the next team ready: 

YsZx7Yf.png

tEHCseI.png zYLKvRI.png

fKbWld5.png K1iTc1i.png

So TCU decided to complicate things by releasing some damn good new uniforms before I got around to designing them. So the plan changed a little bit when it came down to it, but I think I found a good happy medium. 

Football - So as I said, the new uniforms were pretty damn good IMO. On the helmets, I got rid of the facemask color stripe, I always felt that facemask stripes can work, but not in this case. Full logo on the sides. Jerseys have the new Black Panther Horned Frog pattern around the neck, with a halved stripe from the helmet on the sleeves. Kept the number font the same, definitely works here. Pants have the same pointy stripe going down the side. 

Hockey - So hell froze over for these Frogs, and now the aesthetic matches. Halved stripes around the sleeves, with a straight stripe on the hems. Full TCU logo on the chest with the Vibranium pattern around the neck. Gave them a couple different pant options between purple and black which have the pointed stripe down the side. Also gave 3 helmet options between the three main colors. 

Baseball - First off the bat, to keep things pretty baseball classic, the T'Challa necklace pattern (I'm sorry, ill stop with this one), became sublimated so it wasn't as In Your Face as the other two have been. Halved stripes on the sleeves. Arched TCU on the home and away jerseys, with the Athletic Frog logo on the chest for the alternate. Pants also have the halved stripes because I feel that it worked better with the pants. 

Basketball - Finally, for the hardwood, the full color pattern returns to the neckline. Arched TCU across the chest of all 3 jerseys. Full pointy stripe running down the side of the jerseys. For the shorts, half stripe around the bottom of the shorts that end on the side hem line. HORNED FROGS above the stripe going along with the angle of the stripe. 

C&C welcome!

Although I prefer the Boykin era uniforms... these are gorgeous.