The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

It's hard feeling burnt out on a project that you've poured a lot of time and energy into. But in the grand scheme of things, that's a very minor problem. With all the events going across cities in the United States, I got a weird feeling making sports uniforms for fun. This country is the only country I've ever called home and I want to be proud of it and hopefully we can find a way to right the wrongs and evils and find peace in all the chaos. 

z9iJ1Mx.png

tHpJela.png hGjPLWj.png

Etb9nCJ.png kxob0eW.png

Football - First time so far, I think, that a club hockey team has been the influence for the overall look. That said it's also not the only influence. Remember these?  Well those uniforms influenced the placement of the stripe the hockey team inspired. Starting with the helmets, the classic silver helmet stays, with the new UNLV that was quickly scrapped and now revived for my purposes. New stripe down the middle. Alternate satin red helmet gets things the same way, just recolored obviously. Jerseys have the stripes on the shoulders, new logo on the sleeves. I honestly thought that was a good brand evolution, but apparently not to the public. Found a number font that gets close to the updated wordmarks. Pant stripes match the helmet stripes. Alternate is all black, with the logo on the sides in place of UNLV. Grey becomes silver, and white is largely eliminated from the alternate look. 

Hockey - It feels wrong to be so high on a look and then scrap it. Basically kept the club team's look with some major changes. Stripes on the sleeves don't change but the pattern of black home/grey away jersey is changed. Red becomes the home, white the away and black the alternate. Also added a matching hem striped and dumped the chest numbers. The chest logo for the home and away is the full UNLV wordmark above the logo. Black pants and helmets, pants have the stripe down the side. Alternate borrows the same idea from football, with white/grey replaced with silver. 

Baseball - For baseball, the two-button pullover was the route chosen. Hat was simple, all red with UNLV on the front. Jerseys have the same style stripes as football, with the stripes up on the shoulders. REBELS on the home whites, and UNLV on the road reds. Pants have the same stripes down the sides as everyone else. Alternate borrows the same ideas as the others, with white going away for silver, the logo being featured more prominently on the hat and left chest. 

Basketball - Probably the most well known team at UNLV, I kept things pretty clean and simple. Stripes start up on the shoulders and move down the sides of the jersey to the shorts. On the white jersey, went with the iconic Runnin' Rebels with the number in the middle. UNLV on the road uniform, and I left the Runnin' Rebels on the alternate. I tried the logo but I didn't like the look of it. 

C&C welcome. Wherever you guys might be, be safe with all that is going on

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Man you hit the nail on the head... I’ve been feeling the same way about my projects as well. In the end we can only control so much (without getting political, donate/educate/show up!!!), and everyone needs a little getaway from reality in between the stress. It takes a lot of effort caring about something so aggravating and painful at times, doing something silly like making a concept for an hour a day isn’t a bad thing. 
Another great concept, the yoke on the football set looks especially nice. Nice work! 

On 6/5/2020 at 7:59 AM, stumpygremlin said:

For UNLV, why not carry the shoulder stripes on to the hockey sweaters?

Imma Keep It Real With You Chief Blank Template - Imgflip

I honestly have no idea. 

iDRAdJf.png

I legitimately don't know why I didn't try this sooner. I thought I wasn't gonna like it, but now seeing, I like it better this way.  

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Oh the memories of hockey against UNLV. A few of my friends still play here and they seem to really like their black jersey for some reason. I’ve personally always thought it was very basic, to each their own I guess. I much prefer what you’ve done here. I think the shoulder stripe is unique and feels like something that team would do. I think both logos on the front clutters the chest a little, and the UNLV on the red being white instead of gray feels off. It be nice if the club team could use the newer logo UNLV came out with, I see a lot of people aren’t into it but it is vastly superior to the previous logo they had. Maybe pitch this idea to the team when they go D1 NCAA in a few years. (After witnessing their progression and backing, this is my hot take)

1 hour ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Oh the memories of hockey against UNLV. A few of my friends still play here and they seem to really like their black jersey for some reason. I’ve personally always thought it was very basic, to each their own I guess. I much prefer what you’ve done here. I think the shoulder stripe is unique and feels like something that team would do. I think both logos on the front clutters the chest a little, and the UNLV on the red being white instead of gray feels off. It be nice if the club team could use the newer logo UNLV came out with, I see a lot of people aren’t into it but it is vastly superior to the previous logo they had. Maybe pitch this idea to the team when they go D1 NCAA in a few years. (After witnessing their progression and backing, this is my hot take)

Oh I hated playing UNLV 😂. My first year, we went down to the Beehive Showcase and they slaughtered us. It was such a talent difference, I was glad they jumped up a division. 

In response to the bolded part, I wasn't sure which way to go on that. In the end I chose the white because I thought it looked better matching the numbers and it stands out more IMO. Also that's exactly why I used that logo. I don't get the hate for it, it is much better than the current logo. 

Also, I hope they go D1 soon. Arizona State proved it can work in the desert, and with VGK flourishing, they would be set up to capitalize on the quick success and rise of hockey in Nevada. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

TV71OwR.png

52EhYAw.pngwHy2Y9h.png9x3dK4p.png Ze0q3BO.png

Football - The SEC Jordan team requires little to no tweaking. Though the one thing that did was the consistency of the damn stripes. Also, as iconic as it has been throughout the years, I retired the Gators script from the helmet. It just doesn't fit the look that the team is going toward. I didn't know what to do initially there but there has been historical and recent precedent of putting the F on the helmet, which becomes the main look, on both the orange and white helmet. The stripe doesn't change on the orange helmet but changes to match it on the white helmet. Biggest changes on the jerseys is the stripes finally match across all three jerseys. Other change, just keeping things consistent, is the SEC and Gators logo patches switch places. The numbers are also double outlined, and italicized which helps immensely IMHO. Color of the pants and their stripes match the color of the jerseys. 

Hockey - The current jerseys for hockey are ... a bit much to say the least. I mean they have character, if you want to call it that, but they definitely need some work. These now have the matching stripes like football, all which stay consistent across the colors of jerseys. Went with the Gator logo on the home and away jersey. Numbers above the stripes. Away jersey has a shoulder yoke that matches the number color pattern. Pants have the stripe as seen on the blue colored items. Alternate is orange with an orange helmet, with an F on the chest. 

Baseball - Didn't try and deviate super far from the current uniforms. Biggest change is from the current uniforms is the football stripes on the sleeves and down the sides of the pants. I debated about the colors of the wordmarks on the blue and orange jerseys, but I left them oppositely colored against the numbers. As for the hats, I went with a triad of them, blue/blue with the F. A tri-colored version with the gator head on the front, and a white/blue with the F on the front. 

Basketball - Went with a few different directions on this. I liked the look of the 1994 throwbacks and so I stripped the side panels off the jerseys and shorts, added the modern wordmarks and logos and the stripes and bam. Not too much else to say about these. Almost went with the gator head on the orange set instead of the wordmark and I'm really glad I didn't

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Wow, now I may be a gator hater, but there are some parts I really like about this set. However, I think there are 2 big mistakes. Maybe I'm not up to date on how Florida fans feel about their football uniforms, but I'd say they're practically untouchable, and I would agree. I think the dropping of the iconic Gators script is a bit too far, and I'm not the biggest buyer on italized numbers, especially not for such a storied team. While I don't like the changes to the orange one, I think the white helmet is really good, it reminds me of the throwback helmet they had this year. As for the rest of the sports, I think the italized numbers are a gripe that carries over to all 4 sports, although I don't mind it all that much on basketball or hockey. Finally my last quip is that I'd like to see the applying of the stripes down the underarms of the basketball uniforms. I think the way you have it now looks really good and does remind me of the throwbacks they've had in a way, but I wonder if it would look better than around the arm and neck holes like you have it now. 

Sorry if that came off as harsh, I really do love what you've done to the uniforms. Especially basketball and baseball, they're the biggest upgrades in my mind. The basketball uniforms went from something that felt very templated and forgettable to something that ties into the rest of the program more, which I guess is the point of the series isn't it? 

Overall one of your better works, just get that script back on the football helmet. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I agree that the Gators script is untouchable. You could get away with the f on the orange helmet as a one off, but not full time. The italic numbers aren’t ideal but probably wouldn’t be as big as a deal, as you make a rational argument that basketball has won with them and you want more consistency across sports.  The updated striping on the orange jersey is perfectly fine, as the pants already use that striping pattern.

12 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Wow, now I may be a gator hater, but there are some parts I really like about this set. However, I think there are 2 big mistakes. Maybe I'm not up to date on how Florida fans feel about their football uniforms, but I'd say they're practically untouchable, and I would agree. I think the dropping of the iconic Gators script is a bit too far, and I'm not the biggest buyer on italized numbers, especially not for such a storied team. While I don't like the changes to the orange one, I think the white helmet is really good, it reminds me of the throwback helmet they had this year. As for the rest of the sports, I think the italized numbers are a gripe that carries over to all 4 sports, although I don't mind it all that much on basketball or hockey. Finally my last quip is that I'd like to see the applying of the stripes down the underarms of the basketball uniforms. I think the way you have it now looks really good and does remind me of the throwbacks they've had in a way, but I wonder if it would look better than around the arm and neck holes like you have it now. 

Sorry if that came off as harsh, I really do love what you've done to the uniforms. Especially basketball and baseball, they're the biggest upgrades in my mind. The basketball uniforms went from something that felt very templated and forgettable to something that ties into the rest of the program more, which I guess is the point of the series isn't it? 

Overall one of your better works, just get that script back on the football helmet. 

4 hours ago, kb105 said:

I agree that the Gators script is untouchable. You could get away with the f on the orange helmet as a one off, but not full time. The italic numbers aren’t ideal but probably wouldn’t be as big as a deal, as you make a rational argument that basketball has won with them and you want more consistency across sports.  The updated striping on the orange jersey is perfectly fine, as the pants already use that striping pattern.

1 hour ago, Black Dragon said:

as a Florida fan i like the uniforms but the orange helmet needs the script 

TgbEaGO.png

Corrected one mistake and nearly introduced possibly another mistake. Yes, I almost brought the blue helmet back from the 60's. But it was scrapped. It didn't fit with the rest of the look. But in this case, I returned the Gators script to the orange helmets, despite my own feelings that it is dated and inferior, but its hard to argue with history and its longevity. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

OFGAoex.png

Si7EoCJ.png 9EFdpne.png

R9qilZo.png wOzcSbQ.png

Football - The hallmark of series to me has been how much I've jumped from teams that I knew for sure what I was doing and quickly to teams that I didn't have a clue on what I was doing. There was never a doubt on what I was doing with Florida, but I really struggled with what I was doing with Nevada. What stayed the same was the navy helmet, which is now a satin/maybe matte finish, with a pointy stripe that gets big to small from front to back. Kept the logo on the sides of the navy helmet. White helmet switches to the Pack script and a navy stripe. What became the stripes was derived from the "lightning bolt" in the logo and the stripe above it. Obviously I de-lightning bolted it since they play in the same conference as Air Force. Had those marks coming just above the cuff. I also went back to the last Nike set with the block font and wordmarks. Pants have the stripes coming from the top down. 

Hockey - I really wanted to stay away from putting the pointy stripes on the sleeves so I put them on the shoulders this time and put some more normal stripes on the sleeves and the hem. Also went with the Canucks now retired logo treatment, with the arched wordmark above the logo. Pants have the pointed stripe down the side, socks have the same stripes as the hem. Alternate turns grey and sees the logo replaced with the Pack script.

Baseball - Once again I had some internal debate on whether to go full stripes or pointy stripes. I went full pointy stripes. On the hat, I went with the baseball N logo on an all navy hat. Jerseys, have a new script, that matches the design of the hat logo. Did the same stripe style as football, just done to match on the baseball jersey. Pants have the same pointedly stripe down the sides. Socks have the full stripe on them. 

Basketball - I really didn't know what to do here. Looking at the current uniforms, I strangely fell in love with the colored shoulders, and tried to do something similar. I used the full stripes on both sides of the jersey up near the shoulders. Arched wordmarks above the numbers. On the shorts, went with the pointy stripes from the waistband down and on the bottom of the shorts, the full stripe around the bottom. Alternate has the Pack script on the chest instead of the block wordmarks. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Just a couple ideas for UNLV and UNR (excellent work on both)

a) A Fauxback alternate for UNLV basketball, with "UNLV" on the front of the jersey (using the same font you used) and having the side panels be bl/w/bl/red/bl/w/bl

b) Using the staircase UNLV on the alt baseball hats - the main logo kinda gets lost

c) Having a navy helmet with "Pack" for the alternate maybe? Just a classic look. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 6/19/2020 at 12:50 PM, WSU151 said:

Just a couple ideas for UNLV and UNR (excellent work on both)

a) A Fauxback alternate for UNLV basketball, with "UNLV" on the front of the jersey (using the same font you used) and having the side panels be bl/w/bl/red/bl/w/bl

A1b9VpY.png

After looking at this for a little bit, I got some Trail Blazers City jersey vibes from the look, so I did a couple options, one truer to the 90's Runnin Rebels jerseys and one using everyone's favorite vintage white, just for fun. 

b) Using the staircase UNLV on the alt baseball hats - the main logo kinda gets lost

t7DhW96.png

Met you halfway on this one, staircase logo on the hats, left the logo on the helmets. It got too small on the front of the helmets. 

c) Having a navy helmet with "Pack" for the alternate maybe? Just a classic look. 

26mOspb.png

Felt like a no brainer. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 minute ago, colinturner95 said:

A1b9VpY.png

After looking at this for a little bit, I got some Trail Blazers City jersey vibes from the look, so I did a couple options, one truer to the 90's Runnin Rebels jerseys and one using everyone's favorite vintage white, just for fun. 

t7DhW96.png

Met you halfway on this one, staircase logo on the hats, left the logo on the helmets. It got too small on the front of the helmets. 

26mOspb.png

Felt like a no brainer. 

Love all three...!

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3rDiPNF.png

xsJmwhF.png Iw44nBS.png

qoLyQDS.png 1tNVZju.png

Football - Surprisingly, these might be one of my favorites out of this whole series so far. As someone who's seen an Arizona sunset, they really are something special. Coincidentally, the Wildcats have worn uniforms that somewhat reflected that, but just needed a little bit more. The helmets stay the same, all three of them, except for having the appropriately colored logos. Jerseys have a redesigned gradient fade on the sleeves. I added in a couple more color stops along the way, along with a thinner copper stripe, representing the copper mining history of the state. I even kept the dorky current number font because in my opinion, it works when its colored right. Pants have the same gradient up the pant leg, meeting the A logo on the hip. 

Hockey - didn't do too much that was wild with these. Gradient fade on the sleeves, numbers above those. I did do side panels in this case. A, thought it would be different, B, I like the way it looks. It's my design after all. Block A on the chest. Didn't do the gradient on the pants, it just felt like a little too much. there are two sets of pants: navy and red. Helmets have the 'Cats script on the sides. Alternate Red jersey is the only jersey to make large use of the State outline logo. Can't really explain that one. It just clicked to me. Socks have the gradient stripe. 

Baseball - Not a large departure from what we've seen so far. Hats are either all red or all navy with the A on the front. Jerseys use the same arched wordmark with the football font. Slightly smaller gradient on the sleeves. Filling up the whole sleeve just felt like too much to me. Also didn't do the gradient on the pants, just not enough real estate to me to make it look good. Did put it on the socks however. Also thought it was unfair that the softball team hoarded a nice looking script, which gets used on the alternate red. 

Basketball - Really didn't depart too far from the current uniforms. Did remove the side paneling and cut down the total number of uniforms to the 3 you see here. Gradient is still on the shoulders, with the copper stripe lining up with the shoulder seam. Same script as the baseball jerseys, same number font as everything else. Similar shorts gradient to football, state outline on the front of the waistband. 

C&C welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived