The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

21 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I like this Mountaineers concept better than your first. The striping change does wonders imo. The only thing I'd change would be going back to, as you call it, the sandwich format on the basketball unis. With the number in between West and Virginia

SrjNwwQ.png

Kept the Mountaineers and WV on the home and alts, went back to a number sandwich for the other two jerseys. 

2 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I think the Baylor bear claw could fit well on the shoulders of the hockey unis instead of within the stripe. IMO they work better as a uniform element than as a logo with a stroke around it. 

AM55Ao4.png

Moved the claw up on the shoulders for hockey and just for hockey. I think the other three sports, the claw works well where I left them. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember these guys?

Roundball recap: MSU basketball gets back on track by rolling Indiana - The  Only ColorsMichigan State basketball to sport new black alternates vs. Indiana

And their drunk uncle Kevin?

MIchigan State football glows with neon uniforms vs. Western Michigan

Well what happens, with some necessary fixes, when everyone gets to play? (please note that these, unlike the previous 3, aren't meant to be replacing or serve as an alternative to the original design)

VbBlnkD.png

qFHVeNL.png QXwoeoK.png

VrSNe6X.png7mcUo4w.png

Football - They were the biggest transgressor here, of course only two of these sports have rocked the neon, which honestly is two too many but who cares? We're having fun here. So to fix the football attempt at it, removed all traces of white. Also dumped the wordmark that ran armpit to armpit and used THEIR ACTUAL "STATE" WORDMARK! Neon helmet logo, helmet stripe pattern. Basically everything white from the original design became neon. And because basketball got two options for uniforms, so do the rest of them. Neon green jersey and pants serve as a different neon option.

Hockey - Surprisingly, the dark green uniform here doesn't offend me. I wouldn't hate it if these were real TBH. Basically same design as before, just with the neon changes. Since the STATE wordmark was so prominent on the original football uniform, that is the primary identifier here. Which in this case is stacked above the Spartan head. But again, mostly the same design. 

Baseball - Biggest change here is mostly the template. The normal uniforms were either on a vest design or a full button. These are on a two button, but again, the design is largely the same. Green/neon hat/helmets with the Spartan head. Pattern down the sleeves, STATE wordmark on the chest with the number underneath. Pants have the neon pattern up a 1/3rd of the way on the pants. Neon or green socks for options. 

Basketball - Like hockey, the IRL neon uniforms actually work for me. I wish the full neon jerseys were more Michigan State in design but I digress. Again, same design as the standard uniforms just with some colors switched around like the rest of them. 

C&C welcome! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Original Design

M4D4pkb.png

GjPfPxZ.png weYJ7vx.png

amWVPlq.png s4UGC8n.png

So with Ole Miss leaning into the powder blue a little heavier with their all powder blue uniform, I thought to myself, and I know I haven't been alone in this sentiment, but what if navy gave way to powder full time? 

Well I'll admit to you that I don't like it. But once again, who cares?! Let's just see what the collective here thinks!

Football - So much like I said, navy gives way to powder blue. Pretty self explanatory. I also added in the white helmet. I don't remember why I omitted it from the first go around but I restored here. 

Hockey - Even less changes here. Literally just navy becomes powder blue. 

Baseball - A little more changes here, with the addition of a tri-color hat. But mostly the same as the above two. 

Basketball -  Like hockey, just a change of shades of blue. 

C&C welc... nope not yet.

qOqmdn8.png

NcFW105.png wKaNjnZ.png

U9Nwvzg.png TKvX55S.png

Now I don't think that powder blue should be the only blue for Ole Miss, but it's too nice to just discard. So in the second act of this play, I took the best of the first design and the second design and tidied it up into once nice little bundle 

Football - Navy is restored as the primary of their blues. I brought over the white helmet from Take 2, with navy replacing the powder. All powder blue uniform becomes the alternate. Maybe mix and matchable, idk. 

Hockey - Navy is restored as the primary color, with powder blue as an alternate. 

Baseball - Tri-color hat comes over, this time with navy. Powder blue moves to an alternate. 

Basketball - Same as everything else, navy restored, powder blue as an alternate 

Now C&C is welcome!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I think your powder blue might be a bit bright but either way ole Miss looks great! I've always liked the space use of powder while somehow having it feel like an important part of the brand. Their powder blue helmet, white jersey, and grey pants are one of the better looks in college football. The rest of the set looks good too. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

So Mizzou has been doing this in recent games, and things to me don't work. 

Mizzou Football Uniforms - Week 1 at Wyoming - University of Missouri  AthleticsReady to return: Mizzou football eager to resume workouts Missouri vs South Carolina football GameDay: info, where to watch,  predictions - Rock M NationLOOK: Mizzou Football unveils uniforms for homecoming against Ole Miss -  Rock M Nation

Don't get me wrong, I love a good blending of a classic and modern look. It's something I do try and do maybe too often, but in this case, it's not working for Mizzou, especially when the helmet and pants don't match the jersey and it looks bad IMO. 

Original Design

zbc2kN1.png

NkpPMFt.png 4JM6sKT.png

BNM0rli.png scN9Bx1.png

Football - So like I mentioned above, it's basically time to kick it classic. Using the northwest stripe with the diamonds in the middle stripe as the new focal point for this identity. That said, the wordmarks stick around from the big Nike update, the number font does not. To me it didn't fit with the more classic look. NW stripe down the center of the helmets. Black and yellow buckets, with the oval tiger logo on the sides. Alternate option there is with the return of the Block M to the helmets. Jerseys now have the NW stripes on the sleeves, keep the wordmarks on the chests, return to a block font for the numbers. M on the base of the collar. And only on the gold football jersey did I do the colored sleeves. I can't explain why I did it, it just looked better to me. Pants mirror their jerseys. 

Hockey - In total honesty, there's not much super different for hockey. The tiger stripes give way to the NW stripe on the sleeves and on the hem line. The block M moves to the shoulders. The black shoulder yoke for the away jersey sticks around. Pants now have the NW stripe, as do the socks. On the gold alternate, the M and Tiger logo switch places, along with the gold helmet being used here. 

Baseball - Definitely a return to a more classic baseball look. The hats and helmets see the return of the block M to the fronts. Jerseys now have the NW stripes on the sleeves. Wordmarks stay pretty much the same, with the addition of the block font. Also added the oval Tiger logo to the back of the jersey. Kept the pants blank like before, but also kept the option for black pants. Socks now get stripes as well, matching their similar colored jersey, save for the white jersey. 

Basketball - Mizzou already had uniforms that appeared pretty similar to these, so I just kept the push going in the same direction. NW stripe around the neck, arms, waistband and the bottom of the shorts. Wordmarks stayed pretty similar to before, Tigers on the home, Mizzou on the other two uniforms. Honestly, not much else needs to be said here. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

QyCjCej.png

ZI2ZftB.png Ttnpk8b.png

wBfGr9u.png b1xvDT3.png

Before we get into NDSU, I wanted to preface this by saying, for this project, NDSU will be the only FCS team that I will be designing for this project. Not trying to be rude about it, but they were the only team I had planned for the Epilogue. It's not that I'm not for designing the FCS teams, this just isn't the project for it. And I'd need another 2.5 years to get that one all set up. 

Football - Pretty easy really. They came out with updated uniforms in 2018 and they were almost perfect IMO, save for the pants, which inexplicably decided not to match the helmet or jerseys. So with that, it was pretty easy to start the Bison. Helmets don't change at all. Normal yellow and Harvest green helmets, both with the charging Bison on the sides. Jerseys stay by and large the same, triple stripe on the sleeves, contrasting collar, with the Bison head on the front. They have a kinda goofy font, but I love it and kept it. Dumped the contrasting cuffs, just felt like too much with the sleeve stripes. Pants now have stripes that match their jerseys, including the addition of a set of white pants. 

Hockey - While not the North Dakota university known for hockey, they have a pretty successful club team in Fargo. However, like a lot of club teams, they find uniforms they can get rather than getting uniforms that necessarily match. They currently rock some Boston Bruins uniforms, which is okay, xcept for the black on the jerseys. So these are in team colors and are pretty simple in full honesty. Triple stripes throughout the uniforms. Charging Bison on the chest of the home and away jerseys. College style wordmark/number on the green alternate. Yellow and green helmets. Socks match their jerseys. 

Baseball - Kept it classic stupid. Placket piping, triple stripes on the sleeves. Hats/helmets are similarly colored as the other two helmet sports, this time with the B on the fronts. Bison on the home, NDSU on the away and Bison head on the alternate. Charging Bison above the number on the backs. Pants have one option, with the triple stripe down the side. Socks are either yellow or green. 

Basketball - Basketball does see a lot of change. I think they were wearing WVU's former digs, in their colors of course. Got far away from that, with single color striping around the neck and arms and the bottoms of the shorts. Triple stripes down the sides of the jersey continuing onto the sides of the shorts. Bison head on the front of the waist band. Charging Bison above the number on the backs. 

C&C welcome! I only have plans at present for two more teams! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

kNVg3Qv.png

LQR5V3f.png YGfcWuT.png

xgJnhlK.png ibci7m9.png

Some of you may remember, that in August/September 2019, I was in the process of transferring from Boise State and I ended up transferring to Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, 30 minutes ish from Boise but 5 minutes from my house. Best move I've made as a college student. So in that spirit, I felt like including them in this project. 

Football - For football, I kept things pretty simple and at the same time, a bit modern. Matte helmets, red or black, both with the Nighthawk logos on the sides. Jerseys have the wing from the logos on the sleeves. Nighthawks wordmarks on the chest above the numbers. I wasn't totally sure what to do with the pants, but after leaving the helmet stripeless, I felt the same would work for the pants. NNU shield logo on the hips. 

Hockey - As well as I could make wings on hockey sleeves work, I couldn't do it here. So a backup stripe comes in handy here, with it working around the arms and on the hem line. Nighthawk on the chest of the home and away. NNU shield on the shoulders. While the wings on the sleeves wouldn't work, they found a place on the pants. Alternate is a black out version of what the Canadiens do. The NNU shield is the main logo, with the Nighthawk moving to the shoulders. 

Baseball - Baseball and football basically end up looking like twins in a way. Headgear is either red/black or all black with the NNU shield on the front. Jerseys jump the baseball shark in some respects, with the sleeves having the wings in the same way football does, with a faux-vest style jersey on the home whites and alternates black. Nighthawks script on the home and away jerseys. NNU shield on the black jersey. White or black pant options, only red socks. 

Basketball - Actually relatively mundane given the them we've got going on. Pretty simple jerseys. NNU wordmark on the home and away, above the number or on the alt, shield version. All three with a stripe down the sides. Shorts have the same stripe on the waistband, NNU logo on the front in some capacity. Wings on the sides of the shorts. Pretty simple

Now some of you are going to read this and think, "Why haven't I heard of NNU football before?" Well quite simply put. They don't. My Division II university, out of these four sports, sponsors two of them. SOOOOO:

nEDyWtM.png ErwVHUi.png

I attempted two sports that the university does sponsor! These were a challenge in some respects because these are way out of my comfort zone.

Volleyball -  So I tried my best here and worked with how I understand volleyball uniforms SHOULD be and yeah. Put the stripes on the sleeves because that made sense to me, NNU on the chests of the white and the red jerseys. Shield on the alternate. all of these above the numbers. Numbers on the back are bigger, with Nighthawks under the numbers. Shorts have a smaller version of the wings on the sides but still has the wings there. 

Soccer - I'm terrified of doing soccer jerseys. There's so much that I perceive that goes into these from a rules and traditions factor here that it usually scares me off every time. But I gave it a try. Went with a chest stripe on the white and red jerseys, with the Nighthawk logo on the stripes, number underneath that. Shorts have the wings on one side. NNU shield and swoosh on the other. Clash(?) kit is black with the stripe now going vertical, with the shield in place of the Nighthawk, number underneath it. Goalie kit is grey, with a completely unrelated black and red block gradient on the sleeves. Nighthawk logo on the left chest, number in the same place, shorts just turn grey. 

C&C welcome! One team left!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

You're right, I've never heard of NNU before, but they look pretty nice! I'd be interested to see what baseball and football look like without the colored sleeves, but that's my only critique. As for soccer and volleyball, I don't know much about the latter, but I'll admit the soccer uniforms are a bit out there imo. My tweak would be pretty simple though. On the red and white ones I'd move the hawk logo to the right of the chest, similar to how you'd see a lot of traditional clubs wear it, or I'd replace the stripe and logo with text, which is seen at the college levels a bit. I'd actually apply a similar tweak to the alternate too. All in all though it's still a good look, just not something I've seen before. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 11/18/2020 at 11:41 AM, heavybass said:

Ah yes the Bison.... a growing elephant in the FCS room that the NCAA can't ignore forever, Group 5 or Power 5?

Since Notre Dame is still too prideful and bullheaded to join a conference when the world of college football has changed so much, I'd bring in North Dakota State in a heartbeat.

16 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

You're right, I've never heard of NNU before, but they look pretty nice! I'd be interested to see what baseball and football look like without the colored sleeves, but that's my only critique. As for soccer and volleyball, I don't know much about the latter, but I'll admit the soccer uniforms are a bit out there imo. My tweak would be pretty simple though. On the red and white ones I'd move the hawk logo to the right of the chest, similar to how you'd see a lot of traditional clubs wear it, or I'd replace the stripe and logo with text, which is seen at the college levels a bit. I'd actually apply a similar tweak to the alternate too. All in all though it's still a good look, just not something I've seen before. 

2p432Nb.png Fpb1KRO.png

Dropping the colored sleeve caps was 100% the right way to go. 

LTsPieu.png

Probably not gonna spend too much more time on these. But I did move the logos on the white and reds to one side of the chest. Black kit changes completely. Tried the stripes on the sleeves and put the wordmark on the chest, with the shield logo moving to the back of the jersey. 

On 11/18/2020 at 12:41 PM, heavybass said:

Ah yes the Bison.... a growing elephant in the FCS room that the NCAA can't ignore forever, Group 5 or Power 5?

13 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Since Notre Dame is still too prideful and bullheaded to join a conference when the world of college football has changed so much, I'd bring in North Dakota State in a heartbeat.

13 hours ago, heavybass said:

The AAC? That's a big gamble there.... I had North Dakota either join the Big 10 or the Mountain West after Boise State gets invited to the Pac 12

Personally, as an NDSU/College Football at large fan, unless the NCAA steps in and says "Hey you're kicking too much ass, you gotta move up", I don't see them moving up voluntarily. They've got a good home in MVFC, which makes more geographic sense than the MAC. The Big Ten is out of the question. They're still heads and shoulders above NDSU and probably forever will be. The AAC already has a wide spread of teams, and I can't see them adding NDSU for 12 teams sake which adds travel costs for a lot of the eastern schools, especially the Florida schools. 

Love the mention of Boise State, because unless BSU football falls off a cliff in the next 10 years, I firmly believe they'll be in the PAC sooner rather than later. I just don't know who the PAC adds for balance. BYU? A MW California school? 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

11 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Love the mention of Boise State, because unless BSU football falls off a cliff in the next 10 years, I firmly believe they'll be in the PAC sooner rather than later. I just don't know who the PAC adds for balance. BYU? A MW California school? 

I had the Aztecs of San Diego State to join in... either them or BYU.

"Since Notre Dame is still too prideful and bullheaded to join a conference when the world of college football has changed so much, I'd bring in North Dakota State in a heartbeat."

They're Notre Dame, they don't need to. If they go a decade with 4-5 wins a season and lose their NBC deal, then they will. But given that they are Notre Dame, they'll always be a draw and have national interest. 

N3d5IIl.png

Original Design

aprQ0oz.png

It felt fitting to close out this project officially with the team that kickstarted the uniforms arms race in the college football world. Ironically, they've actually simplified things down from years past. Part of me misses the mix and match-ability of the Oregon teams of seasons past. So with a few tweaks, I wanted to sort of take things back to those days. 

o4pai6P.png 4j2R05d.png

Football - Consider this the official reveal of what my Vapor Fusion template is gonna be. Which is really just the jersey template, but it felt appropriate since Oregon is the only team wearing it at the moment. I stripped away a lot of the feathers from the wing pattern previously used, to just 3 sets of feathers. This means just winged helmets for football, bit similar to now. Jerseys see the same reduction of feathers, down to just 3. Oregon O on the chest opposite the Pac-12 logo. Pants also have the wings coming up from the bottom, along with 3 sets of cleats and socks

Alternates - In old Oregon fashion, they wouldn't be complete without some form of an alternate or alternates. Went back to a BFBS jersey, this time with no white/silver and using team colors. An interesting concept. I always liked Oregon in grey. There was something about their apple green, grey and white that I really appreciated. So an all grey uniform makes its appearance, with no yellow to be found. And because I never came up with this logic, that many Oregon fans don't or didn't like wearing black because it happens to be a primary color of their hated Rival. So I kept the Nightmare Green (as close as I could get to it) around as yet another alternate. This time, no apple green, NM green, yellow and black. 

8HbbBva.png 18uwKPZ.png

Hockey - In all reality, it's not terribly different from what I had done before for hockey. biggest changes, save for template changes, is the wings on the shoulders are no longer subtle, and are in the new style. Pants now also have the wings coming up from the bottom, like football. Ducks script is also now on the helmet as a sticker. Also added in a yellow helmet. If ASU can mix and match hockey parts, I feel like Oregon could too. 

Alternates - I just kept things basically the same from the football alternates, as will the other two sports. Black, grey and Nightmare green alternates, keeping the same spirit, just in their own colors. I feel like these bits and pieces could mix and match fairly well. I might add these to the Mix and Match website just to see. 

mheo3NE.png Gab2De9.png

Baseball - Really, the biggest change was the wings move down from the shoulders and become the focal point on the sleeves. Otherwise, everything stays mostly the same from before. 

Alternates - Oregon's baseball uniforms have remarkably stayed pretty conservative. these do not. dressing in almost head to toe in a color, save for grey which has green socks. 

1UXoG5i.pngfQcxdtf.png

Basketball - Surprising amount of change went into these. The wings no longer worked on the shoulders so the NW stripes became used around the arms and the collars. This moved the wings down to the shorts, which share the space with the same stripes from the jerseys coming down the sides. O logo stays on the fronts. Ducks on the home, Oregon on the road greens. Fighting Ducks on the yellow alts. 

Alternates - Same style of as the main 3, just all three will have the baseball Ducks script. 

Guys, it's over. That's the end of the list. It has been a wild ride working on this project. I can't believe that it's over but I'm glad that I was able to see it through to the end. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qNVv-h4LL2rt5ReTJg14sqEA2uybumNctWdZZSifStA/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone is interested, I cataloged a uniform breakdown by conference and all total. 

C&C welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived