Brett Hull to wear #9

NickNickNick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are the stars the only relocated franchise to completely honor the retired numbers of their previous incarnation? i know the coyotes are honoring them, but as stated in this thread, ricci was given #9 before hully came to town, meaning all the talk of unretiring the number for hull is a little superficial (but what isn't, with gretzky's PR driven coyotes? :))

i mean, american airlines center even has the retirement banner with 2 minnesota numbers (goldy and masterton's 8 and 19), plus a dallas/minnesota number (7 broten)... what other teams have something like this?

maybe that's why north stars fans seem to hate dallas fans so much... because it's not like the north stars just stopped existing, like most people think of the whalers/diques/jets... but actually just RELOCATED and kept on keepin' on as if nothing had changed but the arena. meh... i enjoy it :) gives the team a tad more history. (i'm still praying for another outdoor game, this time in minnesota, with dallas wearing north stars sweaters, and the wild in their red alternates)

Dallas wearing North Stars sweaters in Minnesota = BLOOD-FILLED RIOTING IN THE STREETS.

They're Minnesotans, but certain things will rile them.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

are the stars the only relocated franchise to completely honor the retired numbers of their previous incarnation? i know the coyotes are honoring them, but as stated in this thread, ricci was given #9 before hully came to town, meaning all the talk of unretiring the number for hull is a little superficial (but what isn't, with gretzky's PR driven coyotes? :))

i mean, american airlines center even has the retirement banner with 2 minnesota numbers (goldy and masterton's 8 and 19), plus a dallas/minnesota number (7 broten)... what other teams have something like this?

maybe that's why north stars fans seem to hate dallas fans so much... because it's not like the north stars just stopped existing, like most people think of the whalers/diques/jets... but actually just RELOCATED and kept on keepin' on as if nothing had changed but the arena. meh... i enjoy it :) gives the team a tad more history. (i'm still praying for another outdoor game, this time in minnesota, with dallas wearing north stars sweaters, and the wild in their red alternates)

Well there's a difference looking at the other relocations compared to Minnesota->Dallas.

Same nickname, same logo, same uniforms, same colour scheme... everyone else totally revamped.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

are the stars the only relocated franchise to completely honor the retired numbers of their previous incarnation?

The Avalanche honour the Nords (3, 8, 16) retirees, and the Hurricanes honour the Whalers (2, 9, 19) ones.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Same nickname, same logo, same uniforms, same colour scheme... everyone else totally revamped.

Uh, what about the Flames?

The logo changed--and while the unis have had some modifications--so have the Stars--and the name's not exactly the same for them...

However the Atlanta Flames never retired anyone's number--and the Calgary Flames have only retired one--ironically for this thread---#9 (Lanny MacDonald)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

True, but those are the same teams in a new city.

What's interesting is that these are teams that are unrelated to the originals, and they're honoring the old numbers. For example, the Rangers didn't retire #9 for Ted Williams, which the Senators surely would have done were it not for the move.

I think it's strange (why would a team retire the number of a player that never played for them, which is essentially what they've done), but then again, it would be awful to have the retured names fade into oblivion, so this is the only recourse available.

actually the Coyotes are now honoring the Jets, they are going to have retired Jets numbers on the rafters of the Glendale Arena beginning of the season. Reason why they never respected the numbers at the America West Arena is because the arena was owned by Jerry Colangelo and they felt they could not put up the retired numbers up, because they knew that would not be there home for long, and as far as ricci it was quoted as a typo and it was actually supposed to be 5 not 9.

The Avalanche honour the Nords (3, 8, 16) retirees...

No they don't... their current roster has #3 in use by Skrastins and #8 by Selanne (I believe Ozolinch used 8 as well when he played here).

The only numbers that the Avalanche have retired are Roy's #33, Bourque's #77, and Gretzky's league-wide #99.

• 1 year later...

Archived