Brett Hull to wear #9

NickNickNick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They could be honored numbers like the Leafs do. Toronto has retired numbers like 9 and 10 (I think) but honor 1 for Broda and Baun. With teams like toronto and Montreal I can't see them 'retiring' numbers. If they did that, there wouldn't be any left.

Montreal currently has 7 retired numbers (well, 6, since #4 has been retired twice). But right now, although they would have plenty of numbers to retire, they don't. They haven't even retired Roy's #33, and before that, you had plenty of numbers to retire.

I guess that when you have such history, they become more selective prior to retiring any number...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

The Avalanche honour the Nords (3, 8, 16) retirees...

No they don't... their current roster has #3 in use by Skrastins and #8 by Selanne (I believe Ozolinch used 8 as well when he played here).

The only numbers that the Avalanche have retired are Roy's #33, Bourque's #77, and Gretzky's league-wide #99.

Jeff Odgers and others have also worn #16.

Yeah I think of the WHA 3, only the Jets are recognized by their new team. The Hurricanes are supposed to be technically a separate entity from the Whalers, and the Avs don't like to talk about the Nords days. I mean, didn't the Coyotes try to do whiteouts? bwahahahahaha

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Some teams have a ceremony to honor the numbers, but they can still be worn. I know its a deifferent situation, but Oiho State has "retired" Archie Griffin's 45 and Eddie George's 27. Andy Katzenmoyer wore 45 in the late 1990s, though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They could be honored numbers like the Leafs do. Toronto has retired numbers like 9 and 10 (I think) but honor 1 for Broda and Baun. With teams like toronto and Montreal I can't see them 'retiring' numbers. If they did that, there wouldn't be any left.

Toronto's retired numbers are 5 and 6... they have about 8 other numbers that are "honoured" only.

Leafs policy states that players who are killed or receive a career-ending injury as a Maple Leaf are eligable to have their number retired... therefore making Doug Gilmour eligable (career ending injury in his one period leafs comeback in 2003)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I like the fact that the Stars honor the North Stars history. I was at a game in Dallas 2 years ago and many fans had the throwback North Stars jerseys. As a Minnesotan that bugged me, but it shows respect for what came before them.

yeah. i'm proud of my fellow stars fans in that sense.

we wear north stars jerseys (i've got an authentic 67 home jersey... i'm wanting to get it numbered with masterton's 19)... we know about the history, the past rivalries, the legendary broadcaster.

most stars fans are very sensitive to the fact that minnesota lost their team... we can't help it. some north stars fans hate dallas fans, but we really didn't do anything. norm green moved the team to dallas... then he sold them shortly after.

i think the stars organization has handled a relocation as well as any sports franchise could. i still wish we'd wear north stars jerseys for at least one game, though. i don't care where.

I like the fact that the Stars honor the North Stars history.  I was at a game in Dallas 2 years ago and many fans had the throwback North Stars jerseys.  As a Minnesotan that bugged me, but it shows respect for what came before them.

yeah. i'm proud of my fellow stars fans in that sense.

we wear north stars jerseys (i've got an authentic 67 home jersey... i'm wanting to get it numbered with masterton's 19)... we know about the history, the past rivalries, the legendary broadcaster.

most stars fans are very sensitive to the fact that minnesota lost their team... we can't help it. some north stars fans hate dallas fans, but we really didn't do anything. norm green moved the team to dallas... then he sold them shortly after.

i think the stars organization has handled a relocation as well as any sports franchise could. i still wish we'd wear north stars jerseys for at least one game, though. i don't care where.

I agree, I was very happy in '99 since Norm wasn't owning the team anymore. I'm a big Mike Modano fan, and I respect the Stars fans.

minn.png

...the Hurricanes honour the Whalers (2, 9, 19) ones.

The 'Canes have had Glen Wesley wear #2 and Radmin Vrbata wear #19.

The Hurricanes, kings of inconsistency, do not make #9 (Howe) available, although it is not "officially" retired. Their first retired number will come later this year when they hang Ron Francis' #10. Steve Chaisson's #3 (drunk driving fatality) is also not given out.

Insteresting!  I didnt know the Coyotes honoured the Jets retired numbers

I didn't think they did either, especially since Ricci had been listed on the Coyotes' site as #9 until recently.

I thought Ricci was #18 on the 'Yotes. Hmmm.

6uXNWAo.png

So do you think the Blues will retire Hull's number when he finally decides to retire? They definately need to, considering his best years were in St. Louis, and the fans here still root for him....

Yes, the team refuses to re-issue the number to new players and everyone I've spoken to who has a connection to the team says that #16 will be retired at the close of Hullie's career. He still has a lot of regard for St. Louis and does a lot of benefits and whatnot here during the off season.

When it was revealed that Magic Johnson was HIV positive, Charles Barkley petitioned the 76ers to unretire Billy Cunningham's #32 so that Barkley could wear it for the remainder of the season. IIRC, the Sixers and Billy C gave him the go-ahead. So numbers have been unretired, but it takes pretty unique circumstances, like a forced retirement from illness, or having a dad who had that number retired... <_<

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Yes, the team refuses to re-issue the number to new players and everyone I've spoken to who has a connection to the team says that #16 will be retired at the close of Hullie's career.  He still has a lot of regard for St. Louis and does a lot of benefits and whatnot here during the off season.

Thats cool. I wasn't sure whether he still had a soft spot for St. Louis in his heart or not. He definately should, we blues fans treated him like gold... Although, I don't think there are really any pro athletes that play in St. Louis that fans don't get along with... Well... Maybe Kyle Turley, but he was a douche

Archived