NBA Standardizes their Logos, Design Experts Share Thoughts

March 13, 2018 - 16:13 PM

The National Basketball Association has adopted a standardized look across the entire league for anything at the league-level: the All-Star Game, the Draft, the Playoffs and Finals, both conferences, and the logo of the league itself. They all follow the […]

Read More...

3 hours ago, sayahh said:

Standardization: good for street signs, bad for logos.

I don't necessarily think standardization is a bad thing, i think generic design is the issue. The Finals logo has been standardized for years and it wasn't an issue. It's changing to a super plain "logo" that lacks character that is an issue. 

6 hours ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

March 13, 2018 - 16:13 PM

nba-logos-square.jpg

The National Basketball Association has adopted a standardized look across the entire league for anything at the league-level: the All-Star Game, the Draft, the Playoffs and Finals, both conferences, and the logo of the league itself. They all follow the […]

Read More...

4 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

I don't necessarily think standardization is a bad thing, i think generic design is the issue. The Finals logo has been standardized for years and it wasn't an issue. It's changing to a super plain "logo" that lacks character that is an issue. 

I guess I was just reiterating what the mothership wrote about it being standardised across the entire league. I liked the old Finals logo, too.

The NBA Finals is the least prestigious final of the big four (World Series > Super Bowl > Stanley Cup > The Finals), but that script was always a good one. Typing in a Steelfish lookalike next to the league logo is no comparison. I'm relieved to know that the NBA can indeed get things categorically wrong sometimes since all anyone does nowadays is blow the NBA.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

The NBA Finals is the least prestigious final of the big four (World Series > Super Bowl > Stanley Cup > The Finals), but that script was always a good one. Typing in a Steelfish lookalike next to the league logo is no comparison. I'm relieved to know that the NBA can indeed get things categorically wrong sometimes since all anyone does nowadays is blow the NBA.

Disregading prestige for a moment, how would you rank the trophies?

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Stanley Cup > O'Brien = Lombardi > whatever that paperweight you get for the World Series is called

Lombardi>O'Brien

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lombardi and O'Brien are basically the same thing, aren't they? It just depends if you like gold or silver.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

Honestly?  In terms of sheer design?

Lombardi > Stanley Cup > Grey Cup > MLS Cup > O'Brien > Wiffleball Championship Runner-Up Trophy > Commissioner's Trophy > AFC/NFC Championship Trophies

There’s no way the Lombardi Trophy tops that list. It’s literally a football impaled on a “caution: wet floor” sign. Both the Stanley Cup and the MLS Cup easily surpass it in design.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Trophy designs:

Stanley Cup

Borg-Warner Trophy

MLS Cup

Grey Cup

O'Brien Trophy

Lombardi Trophy

Commissioner's Trophy

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I have a hard time seeing how the Stanley Cup, MLS Cup or Grey Cup are better designs than the O'Brien trophy, since all the first mentioned are just different cup designs, whereas the latter is a unique, interesting and aesthetically pleasing trophy with an original, appropriate idea to the sport. 

On 3/14/2018 at 10:56 PM, the admiral said:

How do you determine prestige?

In terms of importance to a player's legacy, The Finals matter more than any other championship. In terms of meaningfulness to a team/city, I don't see how we could argue that the Super Bowl isn't the end all in American sports. In terms of historical value, the cup might be the one with the most "prestige." In terms of name value just for the contest itself, The Finals is the most generic for sure.

As for the NBA comments, I think people blow the NBA based on the way they handle their personnel and manage the game itself compared to other leagues. The changes they made to the All-Star game were great, and I supported their decision to move the game from Charlotte in wake of that anti-LGBT bill. When it comes to design, there are LOTS of complaints that have been made for good reason. The loss of The Finals logo is a travesty. Nike's first year has meant a lot of muddled identities and chaotic uniform choices. And :censored:ing ads on jerseys UGH.

EDIT: Big Four Trophy Rankings

Lombardi: simple, elegant, can be grasped in one hand triumphantly

O'Brien: easily the worst name but a cool-ass golden penis

Commissioner's: love the look of it personally, but it doesn't really invoke baseball nor is it fun to hold

Stanley Cup: it's cool and historic but ugly to me (TO BE FAIR, it's awesome to pick up a giant trophy like that over your head... ok maybe I'm not sure on my rankings...)

ALSO, very much miss the crystal football from the BCS days, the Playoff trophy is kinda wack in comparison.

21 hours ago, truepg said:

I have a hard time seeing how the Stanley Cup, MLS Cup or Grey Cup are better designs than the O'Brien trophy, since all the first mentioned are just different cup designs, whereas the latter is a unique, interesting and aesthetically pleasing trophy with an original, appropriate idea to the sport. 

That’s like saying all jerseys are just different shirt designs... they’re all pretty much the same, right? It’s a genre of trophy, but that doesn’t mean they’re all the same. The Stanley Cup silhouette that they came up with in the 50s is a classic. If the Cup looked like this below, I don’t think it would be nearly as beloved:

normal.jpeg

The O’Brien trophy is not unique; a bigger league in the same country does the same idea better. The base of the Lombardi trophy is shaped to meet the football and provides a good, solid connection. The O’Brien trophy’s basketball looks like it’s supposed to be tangent to the base, but it’s hard to build real things like that. It has an awkward little squib holding up the ball.

477386578.jpg

On 3/16/2018 at 6:22 AM, truepg said:

I appreciate a good abstract and/or modern trophy, I just don’t think the O’Brien is executed very elegantly in the form or the engraved detail. I also appreciate the understated nature of the cup trophies. The O’Brien and Lombardi trophies, in contrast, seem kinda obvious and forced.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived