A few days ago, I decided to once again rebrand the Seattle Mariners. My intention was to modernize and simplify those logos by decluttering the "S"-mark, which nowadays would very likely become the club's primary mark, while the roundel would either be dropped or would turn into a secondary/alternate logo.

Biggest difference compared to the current mark is that Seattle's "S" is now in front of the compass rose and not partly covered by it anymore. The baseball is gone (to also declutter the overall look) and was replaced by a simple white circle with navy border, which could either come across as a very simplistic baseball, or a circle, which one can find in almost every compass rose.

"Northwest Green" has been slightly modified and replaced with PANTONE 7717 C. This shade is a little more bluish and lighter than the current color. PANTONE 289 (navy) and PANTONE 877 C (metallic silver) are unmodified.

xXI5QK.png

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Nice!

At first when I saw the title of your thread I just thought "What can you modernize in an already quite modern and iconic logo?" but you proved me wrong with this sleek new font, it really makes the overall logo so much better!

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

I really like the direction of the overall design. The one thing that distracts me from the S itself is the navy shadowing behind it. I don't necessarily have a fool-proof way to fix that but it drew my eye, instead of being drawn to the S or the compass rose itself.

9 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

A few days ago, I decided to once again rebrand the Seattle Mariners. My intention was to modernize and simplify those logos by decluttering the "S"-mark, which nowadays would very likely become the club's primary mark, while the roundel would either be dropped or would turn into a secondary/alternate logo.

Biggest difference compared to the current mark is that Seattle's "S" is now in front of the compass rose and not partly covered by it anymore. The baseball is gone (to also declutter the overall look) and was replaced by a simple white circle with navy border, which could either come across as a very simplistic baseball, or a circle, which one can find in almost every compass rose.

"Northwest Green" has been slightly modified and replaced with PANTONE 7717 C. This shade is slightly more bluish and a little lighter than the current color. PANTONE 289 (navy) and PANTONE 877 C (metallic silver) are unmodified.

xXI5QK.png

This looks very modern to match up with today’s standards! Amazing!

8 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Great update once again! Only thing I would change is removing the shading on the S. I don't think it's necessary.

I agree with this. Also, make it a little more bold, and compress it horizontally.

tinysig.jpg

Thanks a lot, guys.

There's a 50/50 chance I'll also make uniforms for this project.

2 hours ago, GraysAntibiotics said:

This is great can you try blue and yellow 

I think it looks subpar with these colors, but here it is.

6LZSUY.png

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I think this is a great modernization of the Mariners brand and it's a solid set.

That said it feels a little minor league to me. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but in the way minor league teams logos seem to skew toward more thick outlines and shapes like you have in this design compared to active MLB teams.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

17 hours ago, eastmarkham said:

great job. this looks awesome. anyway to fit the stitches of a baseball somewhere?

Thanks, eastmarkham. I did that redesign to declutter their current logo, so removing the stitches was necessary, since I didn't like to see anything covering the "S".

17 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

I've always felt that the Mariners' logo was a little weak-looking...needed to muscle-up a bit...be bolder...and you've pulled it off nicely. It's got some punch to it now!

Well done, Go!

Thanks, Sparky. I saw you got a "new" thread about Seattle's upcoming NHL expansion team. Just flipped through it and I like what I see there. I'll take a much closer look later on.

11 hours ago, SplashBoogie said:

I think this is a great modernization of the Mariners brand and it's a solid set.

That said it feels a little minor league to me. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but in the way minor league teams logos seem to skew toward more thick outlines and shapes like you have in this design compared to active MLB teams.

Thanks, SplashBoogie. I would rather say that my mark looks pretty much like the design style of the Houston Astros or the Los Angeles Angels primary marks (stroke width, beveling, angular shape). When I look at all those MiLB logos, most of them, 75-80%, have a cartoonish look (with much thicker strokes compared to my logo), because it's a league for the young and the young at heart, while the rest of the marks is mostly regular, mediocre stuff, which isn't even typical for MiLB or any other league.

On 3/16/2018 at 8:26 AM, Go Red Sox! said:

Thanks, SplashBoogie. I would rather say that my mark looks pretty much like the design style of the Houston Astros or the Los Angeles Angels primary marks (stroke width, beveling, angular shape). When I look at all those MiLB logos, most of them, 75-80%, have a cartoonish look (with much thicker strokes compared to my logo), because it's a league for the young and the young at heart, while the rest of the marks is mostly regular, mediocre stuff, which isn't even typical for MiLB or any other league.

If that's your north star then fair enough I can see that comparison.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Archived