ldconcepts' NHL Redesign 3.0 (Bracket Updated)

ldconcepts

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'll revisit Carolina later. For now, here are the Buffalo Sabres.

Buffalo+Sabres+Concept2.png

The Sabres have a number of great uniform options to choose from, and they're slowly improving, trying to fix their 90s mistake. I wanted to create something new. Like most, I changed to royal blue and got rid of grey. On the arms, I used a thick double yellow striping pattern with blue accents. On the hem, I got rid of one stripe to reduce clutter, and added a blue yoke to the away jersey. I used all white numbers on the blue jersey, and blue with yellow outlines on the white.

What do you think? C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Next up: the Vancouver Canucks.

Vancouver+Canucks+Concept.png

The Canucks have finally hit some uniform stability, but they can go any way identity-wise. I darkened their blue and added brick red to their colour scheme. I used a blue V pattern on the hem and arms with red accents. I put the Stick-in-the-Rink on the chest and Johnny Canuck on the shoulder.

Nyzv9xS.png

3 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Next up: the Vancouver Canucks.

Vancouver+Canucks+Concept.png

The Canucks have finally hit some uniform stability, but they can go any way identity-wise. I darkened their blue and added brick red to their colour scheme. I used a blue V pattern on the hem and arms with red accents. I put the Stick-in-the-Rink on the chest and Johnny Canuck on the shoulder.

Has a capitals jersey feel, other then that good work 

hvmY186.png

The NHL's newest team has a great, unique look. But it's certainly possible to make it even more unique, so I explored that possibility for the Golden Knights.

Vegas+Golden+Knights+Concept2.png

I altered their home striping pattern on the home jersey to include more black, and used a sash on the front. For the logo, I added an extra red outline. On the away jersey, I replaced all black with grey. I'm not entirely satisfied with the away jersey, but the home jersey is one of my favourites of the series.

Nyzv9xS.png

I can get wanting to use the diagonal sash, but it only works as a concept, rather than a reality. If you're trying to make the series realistic, which it has been for pretty much the entirety of it, then these should stick to a more traditional design.

I like 'em, though. I think the stripes should be a little thicker and at a smaller angle, more similar to the Stadium Series jerseys the Red Wings wore in Colorado. I  also think the road needs a little more grey and charcoal, and less gold. The color balance just feels off.

Thanks everyone.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:21 AM, Zeus89725 said:

I can get wanting to use the diagonal sash, but it only works as a concept, rather than a reality. If you're trying to make the series realistic, which it has been for pretty much the entirety of it, then these should stick to a more traditional design.

I like 'em, though. I think the stripes should be a little thicker and at a smaller angle, more similar to the Stadium Series jerseys the Red Wings wore in Colorado. I  also think the road needs a little more grey and charcoal, and less gold. The color balance just feels off.

I understand your point about Vegas being a bit unrealistic, but that isn't really my goal for this series. I think I'm going to keep the sash. As for the away jersey, I agree, but I'm not sure how to add more grey without getting rid of the floral pattern.

On 3/24/2018 at 7:04 PM, Zeus89725 said:

Needs the flag pattern.

On 3/25/2018 at 12:07 AM, Cardsblues02 said:

I don’t think that the pattern is necessary, but it might improve the look. The uniform has good balance, I like what you did with the Canes! 

On 3/25/2018 at 11:38 AM, MiK said:

Definitely looks better with the flag pattern - hard to exclude something that is so unique to the team. Still your idea for the Islanders has me wondering if there's a way to incorporate some of the logo pattern into the striping for the hurricanes. The team name is a natural disaster after all, regular striping patterns for them don't seem to do it justice.

I agree with all three of your comments. So, I decided to give Carolina another update, keeping those points in mind.

canes+edit+3.png

I kept the flag pattern, but added a little more silver and put it on the arms. I then added a yoke design like I did for the Islanders, but gave it a little more jaggedness to match the logo.

Does this do the job? C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Love the new striping pattern on the yoke! Not a fan of introducing the silver/grey though. Using their current subliminal flag pattern would balance this out really nicely.

Vancouver - Mashing up Era's that have no business being mashed up but it still kinda works - nicely done. Personally don't like the brick red addition but it's definitely unique, and works with the V striping pattern.

Vegas - I actually like the sash. Keep it on the front but remove it from the back. Zeus is right that it's probably a bit out there for reality but not unreasonable.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

After taking a break to post some of my new Identity Swaps, I'm back with a concept for another traditional team- the Chicago Blackhawks.

Chicago+Blackhawks+Concept2.png

I created an entirely new away jersey for the Hawks, based on their current home jersey's striping pattern. Like this year's All-Star jerseys, I cut the arm striping at a full length yoke, but I kept the yoke coloured red. On the hem, I left space under the striping. For the home jersey, I recoloured the base of the jersey red; no sweeping changes there. With Adidas collars, teams whose primary colour is lighter than their secondary are always challenging. On the home jersey, I kept their normal collar, but made the pentagon black; on the away jersey, I coloured the entire collar red to blend in with the yoke.

Nyzv9xS.png

Hopefully this wild Minnesota set will spark some more C&C.

Minnesota+Wild+Concept2.png

I kept green as the home jersey colour. The main attraction of this set is the tree striping pulled from the logo, which I outlined in wheat and green. I more or less kept the current number and shoulder patch setup, but made it a little more consistent. A simplified version of the striping is used on the socks.

What do you think? C&C appreciated on the last couple sets!

Nyzv9xS.png

Very interesting take on the trees and striping for Minnesota, but I actually think it works really well. 

Hawks I'm not sold on the yoke only striping on the home (I think it looks weird to not have it go all the way around), but the full length yoke on the aways looks a lot better than I would have predicted on paper. 

Carolina I like everything except the yoke striping, which makes me think Lightning before Hurricanes, even though I see where the inspiration came from on the logo.

Vegas I'm not sold on the sash, or the lack of gray on the away.

Canucks I like overall, but personally I think it would look cleaner without the red.

Buffalo I like that you simplified it from their current set, but I think it's almost an overcorrection where now they're too plain. More interesting hem striping might help.

Incidentally, I've always loved your hockey template, is it something you've released?

3 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Incidentally, I've always loved your hockey template, is it something you've released?

Thanks, though all I’ve done is modify two existing templates. I’m not sure which one you’re talking about... I'd be glad to send you the version I use of @MrWonka’s 3D template, since the base is out in the open. However, you’d have to ask @timberwolf for the 2D template, since he hasn’t released it yet.

Nyzv9xS.png

Next up- the St. Louis Blues.

St.+Louis+Blues+Concept.png

I used their Winter Classic blue as primary, and got rid of all navy and royal blue. I was inspired by the 5 staff lines in their logo for striping. I kept the current number arrangement, and reintroduced the trumpet logo as a shoulder patch, without red.

Nyzv9xS.png

Guest darkpiranha

Love it! But this Blues jersey made me nostalgic and sad.  Sometimes all it takes is the exact right color combination and distribution of those colors to make me melancholic.  This did the trick!  I never really loved the old Blues uniform, but I love what you did here.  The Blues are one of those teams that have always existed right on the edge of relevance, and their time needs to happen eventually where they win it all.  Won't be this year, but this jersey set makes me want to root for them.  

Thanks! Next up are the Ottawa Senators.

Ottawa+Senators+Concept2.png

The Sens are in the midst of an identity crisis. There are two solutions that exist: go with the vintage =O= look full time or create something new with the updated Senturion. One thing both camps agree on is that the current primary logo should go. I replaced it with the updated Senturion, since the O is too boring for a primary logo IMO. I compromised, replacing all gold with vintage white. I created new striping based on the Heritage jerseys with a sublimated laurel pattern in the middle. I kept the =O= on the shoulders, helmet and pants.

Nyzv9xS.png

Archived