Luingus221

Welcome to the 90's

I like (actually I don't like) how the Astros used the '90s to try to "bring sanity" to their uniforms. I thought they were an upgrade at the time. In hindsight, they started the Astros on a long and terrible journey away from their visual identity, and it took 20 years to get back there. At least these were better than the even more boring red-and-black (I refused to refer to them as brick, sand or any other marketing garbage) that came out in 2000.

1024x1024.jpg

15 minutes ago, cheo25 said:

I like (actually I don't like) how the Astros used the '90s to try to "bring sanity" to their uniforms. I thought they were an upgrade at the time. In hindsight, they started the Astros on a long and terrible journey away from their visual identity, and it took 20 years to get back there. At least these were better than the even more boring red-and-black (I refused to refer to them as brick, sand or any other marketing garbage) that came out in 2000.

1024x1024.jpg

Just to head this off before it happens, every time this uniform gets brought up, you'll get a handful of posts say "best they've ever looked." Which is nonsense.

15 hours ago, M4One said:

The Voodoo that you do.  Roller hockey which might be the most 90's sport ever.

vancouver-voodoo-hockey-jersey_1_a6be97c

d2394dc6406999af.jpg

15882019863_ee9e6922c2_b.jpg

rhi-st-louis-vipers-hockey-jersey-xl_1_6

phoenix-cobras-roller-hockey-gronborg_1_

22215137333_5ac642396e_b.jpg

Not all of them were terrible

s-l225.jpg

mEAXSXt3wlsYBex3PlIC9hg.jpg

edmonton-sled-dogs-roller-hockey_1_5a218

RARE-90s-Vintage-San-Jose-Rhinos-CCM-Rol

As someone who was born in ‘85, and grew up in the 90s, I wonder how much the Nickelodeon channel influenced the introduction of cartoonish logos.

4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

As someone who was born in ‘85, and grew up in the 90s, I wonder how much the Nickelodeon channel influenced the introduction of cartoonish logos.

I don't think there was a direct connection, but some of the same thought process as far as marketing directly to kids was there...the 90s were when the "sports as family entertainment" mindset really took hold (as opposed to something geared principally towards adults who were fans of the sport) - and what's a kid more likely to want on his t-shirt, this: icyajbggz9clz0oabxtjfqn9n.gif

or this?: qea6wpkljv5ifu6e6f24j2fgt.gif

6 minutes ago, eastfirst107 said:

I don't think there was a direct connection, but some of the same thought process as far as marketing directly to kids was there...the 90s were when the "sports as family entertainment" mindset really took hold (as opposed to something geared principally towards adults who were fans of the sport) - and what's a kid more likely to want on his t-shirt, this: icyajbggz9clz0oabxtjfqn9n.gif

Let the Clevejacking of this thread begin!

You know, talking about roller hockey briefly, I wish it coulda taken off as a summer alternative to ice hockey.

9 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Just to head this off before it happens, every time this uniform gets brought up, you'll get a handful of posts say "best they've ever looked." Which is nonsense.

It is not the best they ever looked, but a heavy dose of orange and a good cleanup could make it really nice.

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It is not the best they ever looked, but a heavy dose of orange and a good cleanup could make it really nice.

[shameless self-plug] I simulated what would have happened if the Astros followed the gradient trend instead of the metallic gold one. It looked mildly better. [/shameless self-plug]

TL8kou4.png

They would have replaced it by 2000, but it would have kept more visual continuity in their brand.

1 hour ago, johnnysama said:

You know, talking about roller hockey briefly, I wish it coulda taken off as a summer alternative to ice hockey.

That would have been nice. Especially in markets where ice hockey makes the least sense.

5 hours ago, eastfirst107 said:

For some reason that beaver reminds me of Paul Wight aka Big Show. Can't explain why.

11 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

For some reason that beaver reminds me of Paul Wight aka Big Show. Can't explain why.

Their jerseys with the "saw blade" design were fantastic. 3160_cleveland_lumber.jpg

18 hours ago, _RH_ said:

Screen-shot-2014-07-28-at-3.48.18-PM.pnghi-res-15e89f0cd80021818542db1a11ebc3ae_

Related image

Hey those Charlotte uniforms are some of the best the league has ever seen. 

On 3/18/2018 at 10:05 AM, AgentColon2 said:

24c36f9e84911856e7e2abd75d07cf95.jpg

The grey facemask tells me this photo is from 1993. Why isn't the side shown so we can see their 'Murica pants stripes? :D