Welcome to the 90's

Luingus221

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like (actually I don't like) how the Astros used the '90s to try to "bring sanity" to their uniforms. I thought they were an upgrade at the time. In hindsight, they started the Astros on a long and terrible journey away from their visual identity, and it took 20 years to get back there. At least these were better than the even more boring red-and-black (I refused to refer to them as brick, sand or any other marketing garbage) that came out in 2000.

1024x1024.jpg

15 minutes ago, cheo25 said:

I like (actually I don't like) how the Astros used the '90s to try to "bring sanity" to their uniforms. I thought they were an upgrade at the time. In hindsight, they started the Astros on a long and terrible journey away from their visual identity, and it took 20 years to get back there. At least these were better than the even more boring red-and-black (I refused to refer to them as brick, sand or any other marketing garbage) that came out in 2000.

1024x1024.jpg

Just to head this off before it happens, every time this uniform gets brought up, you'll get a handful of posts say "best they've ever looked." Which is nonsense.

4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

As someone who was born in ‘85, and grew up in the 90s, I wonder how much the Nickelodeon channel influenced the introduction of cartoonish logos.

I don't think there was a direct connection, but some of the same thought process as far as marketing directly to kids was there...the 90s were when the "sports as family entertainment" mindset really took hold (as opposed to something geared principally towards adults who were fans of the sport) - and what's a kid more likely to want on his t-shirt, this: icyajbggz9clz0oabxtjfqn9n.gif

or this?: qea6wpkljv5ifu6e6f24j2fgt.gif

6 minutes ago, eastfirst107 said:

I don't think there was a direct connection, but some of the same thought process as far as marketing directly to kids was there...the 90s were when the "sports as family entertainment" mindset really took hold (as opposed to something geared principally towards adults who were fans of the sport) - and what's a kid more likely to want on his t-shirt, this: icyajbggz9clz0oabxtjfqn9n.gif

Let the Clevejacking of this thread begin!

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

9 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Just to head this off before it happens, every time this uniform gets brought up, you'll get a handful of posts say "best they've ever looked." Which is nonsense.

It is not the best they ever looked, but a heavy dose of orange and a good cleanup could make it really nice.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It is not the best they ever looked, but a heavy dose of orange and a good cleanup could make it really nice.

[shameless self-plug] I simulated what would have happened if the Astros followed the gradient trend instead of the metallic gold one. It looked mildly better. [/shameless self-plug]

TL8kou4.png

They would have replaced it by 2000, but it would have kept more visual continuity in their brand.

5 hours ago, eastfirst107 said:

For some reason that beaver reminds me of Paul Wight aka Big Show. Can't explain why.

Archived