Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

https://aaf.com/

Co-founded by Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian, the AAF will debut a week after the 2019 Super Bowl. There are a few familiar faces spearheading this new league, including:

• Troy Polamalu - Head of Player Relations
  • Jared Allen - Player Relations Executive
  • Justin Tuck - Player Engagement Board of Advisor

The league will begin with 8 teams with a 12-week schedule. Games will be broadcasted on CBS. Fans will also be able to stream games via the Alliance app.

Darren Rovell tweets the league will offer players a variety of perks including Win, Stats, and Fan Engagement bonuses. Rovell also tweets the league will follow suite with the Atlanta Falcons and offer value pricing on food and drink at stadiums.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/976116728907395072

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/976115504019537920

Team locations will be announced in the coming weeks.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Washington Post:

The league will have eight teams — cities and stadia to be announced, though look for complementary sites, not NFL venues, and warmer climates given the February-late April schedule. Rosters will be culled from NFL cuts to the 53-man maximum after preseason, which Polian calls “the core of our constituency”; collegians who have gone undrafted, including underclassmen who have lost any remaining eligibility; players looking to return to the sport; and free agents from the CFL or elsewhere.

As a single entity, the Alliance will own all contracts and players will be dispersed in a variety of manners. If someone played in the NFL or in college for a Florida team or school, he’d likely wind up on a Florida-based franchise, for example. There also will be a mechanism after those allocations for a team interested in a certain player to get his rights. And then coaches of specific teams will have access to a group of players outside the allocations.

A draft of players in late fall after the college season concludes — “Players who probably are coming off injury or some other situation where they want to perhaps play in our league in order to enhance their draft status,” Polian explains — also is planned.

With an eye on player safety, the Alliance also will eliminate kickoffs. There is a unique plan for onside kicks, with the team wanting to try one instead taking possession at its 35 yard-line on a fourth-and-10 to try one play to keep the ball.

“This eliminates two plays that if you were reinventing the game are plays you would probably leave out,” Polian says.

The three-point stance for linemen, judged by many a dangerous technique, also could be banned.

The preponderance of video reviews by officials won’t be an issue in the Alliance, Polian says. Each coach will be allowed two challenges and that’s it for replay.

And here’s one everybody but a placekicker will love: all extra points are 2-point conversion plays from the 2-yard line.

Ebersol has spent three years putting together the Alliance. He and Polian, backed by the numbers showing America’s passion for the sport, see a huge void the league can fill.

“Football is so dominant for six months of the year,” Ebersol says. “It even hides a number we focused on: millions of fans who stop watching the top five sports in America when football is off the air. Millions of football fans who don’t want to watch other sports.

“And there are 59 million who play fantasy sports, 29 million of them stopped when football ended.

“So what to do to really empower our fans? Fans are investors. They invest time and emotion and money ... and what they get in return is the thrill of victory and agony of defeat. We wanted to empower the fans so they will be rewarded for being fans of their team, so fans have a real stake in the league.”

How will they do so? Ebersol mysteriously says to “stay tuned.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/alliance-of-american-football-to-kick-off-after-super-bowl/2018/03/20/f3ac7db8-2c4f-11e8-8dc9-3b51e028b845_story.html?utm_term=.66e7db0a451a

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

54 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Hmmmmm . . . Trying to jump in front of McMahon? Should be interesting to see how he reacts to this one. 

He's not going to react to well to that.

42 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If they want this league to succeed, do not put teams in Birmingham and Memphis. 

It'll be super hard to resist the temptation to do so.

43 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

It'll be super hard to resist the temptation to do so.

Of course it will be.  I bet that Las Vegas is breathing a sigh of relief that they no longer join those two as "cities alternative pro football leagues go to that are doomed to fail."  They (Vegas) would have to screw things up big time to once again fail at pro football.  Vegas knows that they won't screw up this time around with pro football. 

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Hmmmmm . . . Trying to jump in front of McMahon? Should be interesting to see how he reacts to this one. 

I bet it was more McMahon finding out about this league and rushing the announcement of the New XFL.

36 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Of course it will be.  I bet that Las Vegas is breathing a sigh of relief that they no longer join those two as "cities alternative pro football leagues go to that are doomed to fail."  They (Vegas) would have to screw things up big time to once again fail at pro football.  Vegas knows that they won't screw up this time around with pro football. 

Having the one team that travels well should help. Being located in an area with easy access by plane from Northern and Southern California helps too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So Dick Ebersol's kid gets some financing (Chernin and Theil) and will try to beat Vince (and Don Yee) to the proverbial punch.  However, there is still dozens of items to get ready in the next 11 months.  CBSSN is likely a barter deal, so the network could just be preparing for the loss of Arena Football in 2019.  I just don't think they'll be prepared enough by say August, even though they've already set up a Teamworkonline job board like nearly all US sports teams, so all you Sports Management new graduates will have to buy into that system for a sales/marketing job.  

They're going to rely on cuts to 53 for their rosters that are set the following February, at which time futures contracts have already been signed for ... wait for it ... all those guys who were cut at the cutdown to 53.

Yeah, I'm taking the under on number of games played.

It's where I sit.

Well it's going to happen, but who knows how long it'll last. I personally wouldn't mind a spring football league, but two fledgling leagues competing with each other isn't good for either of them.

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Well it's going to happen, but who knows how long it'll last. I personally wouldn't mind a spring football league, but two fledgling leagues competing with each other isn't good for either of them.

Poor Arena Football League not being included.

Then again they're only down to 4 teams.

Starting right after the Super Bowl eliminates most of the big markets right off the bat.  Not sure what exactly their target is, but they're basically alienating the whole northeast and Chicago.

Not sure how I feel about the rules.  I'm fine with eliminating extra points, but then TDs should just be worth 7, or you can elect 6 and go for 2.  With only the go-for-2 option, that play is really worth more than it should be.  Or, make the conversion just worth 1.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Wings said:

I prefer the Alliance to end Hulkamania

The Final Solution! Wait, I've just been handed a note, excuse me, the Ultimate Solution.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived