Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Not a thing. I watched almost every Memphis Express game despite the fact that they were a bad minor league football team playing for something more akin to a scam than an actual league. 

Oh god that mustve been very painful. Probably worse than being a DC
Federals(USFL,remember them?) fan.....

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I wish the AAF would've succeeded too but trying to overcome all the factors against a spring league working would've been a huge challenge even if the AAF wasn't run by clowns. I want the XFL 2.0 to make it too and it looks like it has all the tools to at least finish their first couple of seasons. If that fails, then the idea of spring football really ought to go in the dustbin of bad ideas. 

This will be the last chance by anyone for a spring league....Unless some 12 or so mega rich zillionaires want to revive the USFL again otherwise i'm not seeing it likely. I'm fairly certain XFL will at least finish their season out maybe enough gas in the tank for year 2 beyond that McMahon may get a bit antsy if he's losing $$$

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

People are starting to lose patience with the league on social media because all they want are team names, logos and colors.  They don't care about anything else.

Well i'm ready to be dissapointed with their choice of names and logos it already seems nicknames are limited in Seattle no small thanks to the new NHL
(tons of ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ';s at you hockey!) team mulling over what their nickname will be

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

24 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

You have an axe to grind it seems.

You’re right, that is easier than addressing the substance.  😛

But not at all.  Just stating facts.

A nickname isn’t something you can give yourself, and anyone who buys their own participation ribbons deserves a little gentle mockery.   Especially when they’re claim a championship they didn’t win in the process.

On 7/22/2019 at 5:03 PM, mkg74 said:

Oh god that mustve been very painful. Probably worse than being a DC
Federals(USFL,remember them?) fan.....

I was born well after the USFL's death in the mid-1980s (1989, oh God I'm 30 and life is a nightmarrrre!), but I had a bunch of football highlight VHS's as a kid and most of them were almost exclusively USFL based, probably because a dead league was cheap to get the rights to put on tape. I distinctly remember one having a whole segment on how crap the Feds were (loved their uniforms though) and even included a bit where they staged a fake fight at practice where somebody pretended to shoot somebody else to lighten the tension from being a total crap team. America, baby.

On 7/22/2019 at 7:31 PM, Gothamite said:

A nickname isn’t something you can give yourself, and anyone who buys their own participation ribbons deserves a little gentle mockery.   Especially when they’re claim a championship they didn’t win in the process.

That’s were I stand. It’s a perfectly appropriate end for the AAF’s competitive front. No real championship game or pursuit, just an attempt to honor a de facto resolution to the cancelled season.

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That’s were I stand. It’s a perfectly appropriate end for the AAF’s competitive front. No real championship game or pursuit, just an attempt to honor a de facto resolution to the cancelled season.

Yep.  Intellectually dishonest, rewriting history to suit one team’s egos.

Perfect for this half-baked con of a league. 😁

On 7/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, dfwabel said:

Note, the MLFB bid was pulled, basically because they could pay for it had they won. Frank Murtha is still talking like they'll play, telling the Express-News that they still have leases in Norfolk and Little Rock.  OK.

Kurz placed the bid on behalf of Miami-based merchandise broker, NCM Wireless Inc.

Kurz was cryptic, but it sounds like there is another league he was working for, likely indoor.

Kurz has until close of business on Monday to pay for the goods. If they don't, the XFL's auction bid of $445,000* will be accepted. 

*- Minus the $37,500 they placed as a deposit weeks ago. 

There's another small Express-News story on the auction.  Because their site has a paywall, here is a link to the Cached page.

Apparently, NCM Wireless bought the items for yes, MLFB.

From the MLFB Annual Report, released July 29:

We expect we will need additional short-term financing as well as financing over the next 12 months and specifically, the Company plans and is in final discussions with individual investors to raise at least an additional $1 million by August 31, 2019 and a tiered subsequent raise of $20 million between October and December 2019. The raise of 20 million dollars will cover the Company’s anticipated expenses for its 6 team 8 game regular season in 2020. Through the issuance date of this report on Form 10-K, smaller investments have been received to meet certain Company expenses and we have completed an agreement to purchase the bulk of the football equipment, helmets, pads, electronics, office equipment and supplies of the bankrupt Alliance of American Football Spring League. This agreement is through the bankruptcy court with NCM Wireless, Inc. for $400,000 that was scheduled on the bankruptcy petition with a valuation in excess of $3,000,000. The agreement between the Company and NCM Wireless, Inc. (“NCM”) is dated July 18, 2019 and the Company funded an initial deposit of $25,000 on July 22, 2019 and the remaining balance of $375,000 is due by July 31, 2019. Additionally, the Company and NCM have agreed to share equally the storage warehouse rent for August 2019 of $10,000. This warehouse currently holds the approximately 32,000 football related items covered by the agreement.

At the end of May, MLFB only had $5,400 in cash on hand.

On 7/30/2019 at 11:10 AM, dfwabel said:

Apparently, NCM Wireless bought the items for yes, MLFB.

From the MLFB Annual Report, released July 29:

At the end of May, MLFB only had $5,400 in cash on hand.

I guess Vince is going bargain-hunting for equipment again.

On 7/28/2019 at 2:27 AM, Red Wolf said:

I was born well after the USFL's death in the mid-1980s (1989, oh God I'm 30 and life is a nightmarrrre!), but I had a bunch of football highlight VHS's as a kid and most of them were almost exclusively USFL based, probably because a dead league was cheap to get the rights to put on tape. I distinctly remember one having a whole segment on how crap the Feds were (loved their uniforms though) and even included a bit where they staged a fake fight at practice where somebody pretended to shoot somebody else to lighten the tension from being a total crap team. America, baby.

I had all those old videos too in the late 80's early 90's growing up. And damn the Federals were sad but they looked damn good while losing on the field, both years  they wore White Green and Black year 1 then Silver Green Black year 2, both were awesome. They were supposed to move to Miami for '85 season under Howard Schnellenberger under the monicker of The Spirit of Miami(Pretty lame nickname in my opinion) thankfully they moved to Orlando instead and we got the much superior Renegades nickname.....

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, NicDB said:

The conspiracy theorist in me still says the AAF's only purpose was to tank and muddy the waters for the XFL's debut.

Well wasn't the AAF to be "complementary" to the NFL as was the FXFL/The Spring League?  Those guys were supposedly needed to get more reps for a future in the NFL as the contracts were structured as such.  About 20% of AAF guys were signed to NFL contracts after the bankruptcy. Some were placed on IR during training camp, some were immediately cut, so the number of those who will make a roster is still unknown, but it is still pretty d@mn low. 

XFL is not really planted themselves as such a complementary item.

18 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Well wasn't the AAF to be "complementary" to the NFL as was the FXFL/The Spring League?  Those guys were supposedly needed to get more reps for a future in the NFL as the contracts were structured as such.  About 20% of AAF guys were signed to NFL contracts after the bankruptcy. Some were placed on IR during training camp, some were immediately cut, so the number of those who will make a roster is still unknown, but it is still pretty d@mn low. 

XFL is not really planted themselves as such a complementary item.

The Spring League has so many restrictions and operates for such a short time that it's not useful as anything other than a way to keep people ready for tryouts and mini-camps where the veterans skip out. 

I think some of those guys on IR could pan out in the future, but how many of those guys just cut will probably turn around and join the XFL? I'd say about 90% to 95%. Those not making the move are probably done with football for now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 8/23/2019 at 12:51 AM, dfwabel said:

Former players and coaches of the Express spoke to the Commercial Appeal for a story which came out on Tuesday. It reads like a lot of information didn't make it to print.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/2019/08/20/aaf-memphis-express-oral-history-xfl/1882397001/

Based on what I just read about Memphis, and what I know of Salt Lake and San Diego, I guess we in Atlanta got a great deal on our "facilities". We were in a hotel the entire time and a 10 min drive to our practice field.

Eight dudes make it past final cuts and made NFL Week 1 rosters.  EIGHT.

Two on the Browns, two on the Broncos.

That's less than 2.22% of the 360 on the right teams since there were even guys placed on IR during the AAF's eight weeks. Or about 10% of those signed after the AAF folded.

If you want to add Josh Johnson who never played for the Fleet, you've got nine.

13 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Eight dudes make it past final cuts and made NFL Week 1 rosters.  EIGHT.

Two on the Browns, two on the Broncos.

That's less than 2.22% of the 360 on the right teams since there were even guys placed on IR during the AAF's eight weeks. Or about 10% of those signed after the AAF folded.

If you want to add Josh Johnson who never played for the Fleet, you've got nine.

That makes 8 guys who got noticed from those extra reps which is what you would expect from the first year of a league. I know the XFL had a higher percentage but if the main goal of the league is getting players exposure, that's what they did. How many moved to Canada? I think the AAF messed that option up for a few players.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That makes 8 guys who got noticed from those extra reps which is what you would expect from the first year of a league. I know the XFL had a higher percentage but if the main goal of the league is getting players exposure, that's what they did. How many moved to Canada? I think the AAF messed that option up for a few players.

One player for every $9M Dundon put in, or $6M for every player in terms of money owed to creditors. 

Getting to the CFL wasn't the goal. 

Archived