Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

That second article states that the NFL cannot make an overall policy of loaning players only to AAF teams as opposed to XFL teams, because the NFL consists of 32 separate businesses, and, if all these businesses banded together in an agreement not to loan players to the XFL, this would constitute illegal collusion. The decision of whether to loan any given player to an AAF team or an XFL team would have to be made by his NFL team. 

But we should realise that, if all NFL teams decided independently that they preferred to loan players to the AAF rather than to the XFL, presumably because every NFL team considered the AAF's infrastructure and coaching to be superior, then this would not be actionable.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/4/2019 at 7:15 PM, Sykotyk said:

Depends if they tarp off any seats. I believe XFL set the capacity to 27,000. Key is only selling seats on the TV side like XFL did in Los Angeles for their Million Dollar Game. 

I fully expect that this is what they will do for the new XFL. Vince will be very active in the TV presentation of it all and that will a must. 

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That second article states that the NFL cannot make an overall policy of loaning players only to AAF teams as opposed to XFL teams, because the NFL consists of 32 separate businesses, and, if all these businesses banded together in an agreement not to loan players to the XFL, this would constitute illegal collusion. The decision of whether to loan any given player to an AAF team or an XFL team would have to be made by his NFL team. 

But we should realise that, if all NFL teams decided independently that they preferred to loan players to the AAF rather than to the XFL, presumably because every NFL team considered the AAF's infrastructure and coaching to be superior, then this would not be actionable.

Vince would sue under the Sherman Act and depose the owners and GMs. Jerry wearing the AAF cap won't help.

And again, that wouldn't fly with the NFLPA. 

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It’s also worth noting that despite both the AAF and XFL stating they want to complement the NFL rather than compete with it? The AAF’s walked that line better than the XFL has. 

The XFL 1.0 was very antagonistic towards the NFL. Not that shocking, given how bold Vince was at the hight of the wrestling boom and the fact that he’d successfully vanquished WCW not that long ago by the league’s launch. Bull-headed antagonism helped him win the wrestling war, so why not take on the NFL with the same attitude?

Now you might say “that was then, this is now, Vince learned his lesson.” And yeah, the XFL 2.0’s own website states that they want to complement the NFL, not compete with it. 

Rewind to the day the XFL 2.0 launched though. Vince was calmer than he’d been in 2000-01, but he was still very antagonistic. Talking about how the XFL was going to “give football back to the fans” and whatnot. Given the criticisms the NFL was under at the time? That was very much a shot across the bow by Vince and co. 

Vince can’t help but be antagonistic. 

Meanwhile? The AAF, as far as I’m aware, never tried to take the piss out of the NFL. It’s probably for the best that they didn’t get the rights to the XFL name, as it has all of that antagonistic baggage. 

My long-winded point is that if you want to play nice with the NFL? Maybe don’t start your league off by telling everyone why they suck and you’re better. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

It’s also worth noting that despite both the AAF and XFL stating they want to complement the NFL rather than compete with it? The AAF’s walked that line better than the XFL has. 

The XFL 1.0 was very antagonistic towards the NFL. Not that shocking, given how bold Vince was at the hight of the wrestling boom and the fact that he’d successfully vanquished WCW not that long ago by the league’s launch. Bull-headed antagonism helped him win the wrestling war, so why not take on the NFL with the same attitude?

Now you might say “that was then, this is now, Vince learned his lesson.” And yeah, the XFL 2.0’s own website states that they want to complement the NFL, not compete with it. 

Rewind to the day the XFL 2.0 launched though. Vince was calmer than he’d been in 2000-01, but he was still very antagonistic. Talking about how the XFL was going to “give football back to the fans” and whatnot. Given the criticisms the NFL was under at the time? That was very much a shot across the bow by Vince and co. 

Vince can’t help but be antagonistic. 

Meanwhile? The AAF, as far as I’m aware, never tried to take the piss out of the NFL. It’s probably for the best that they didn’t get the rights to the XFL name, as it has all of that antagonistic baggage. 

My long-winded point is that if you want to play nice with the NFL? Maybe don’t start your league off by telling everyone why they suck and you’re better. 

Vince doesn't play nice with anybody......not even if you make money for him in WWE.  Look how long it took for him to bring back Dwayne Johnson.  He left the WWE as a full time performer in 2004, and one would think he would spend the next few years after that doing the type of schedule John Cena has now with WWE, but instead Vince got upset that Dwayne became bigger than WWE and he only made sporadic appearances (many of them via satellite) from 2004-2009 and zero appearances in 2010.  And then when he became a massive mainstream star, Vince started to kiss Dwayne's butt again and continues to kiss his butt ever since, with the constant mentions of him on their website, inviting his mother and daughter to WWE events over the past few years and the constant pushing of Nia Jax.  Now in WWE's defense, they aren't the only ones who kisses Dwayne's butt, but they only did it after they distanced from him for 7 years and then realized that he can bring in the mainstream media attention that they crave so they brought him back. 

It's never going to happen, but I want to hear Vince's reaction if "Dwayne Johnson in talks with All Elite Wrestling" rumors start to surface.

I don't know. Right now Vince has basically been hands off since just after announcement the XFL was coming back. I think we will know based on team names which way this rebirth will go. I mean. Even the AAF has some horrible names that seem much more XFL than NFL. 

11 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

I don't know. Right now Vince has basically been hands off since just after announcement the XFL was coming back. I think we will know based on team names which way this rebirth will go. I mean. Even the AAF has some horrible names that seem much more XFL than NFL. 

If you think Vince is going to be content being a silent investor? Then you haven’t followed the career of one Vincent K. McManon :P 

26 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

If you think Vince is going to be content being a silent investor? Then you haven’t followed the career of one Vincent K. McManon :P 

He'll meddle and interfere when ratings and attendance go down, just like in WWE.

23 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

He'll meddle and interfere when ratings and attendance go down, just like in WWE.

It's not football, but just look at when he tried to relaunch ECW. Ratings were great at first, especially for a C-level show. All Vince had to do was sign the cheques and let Paul Heyman write the show.

Then Vince meddled, overruled Heyman on everything, put the ECW Championship on Bobby Lashley in the worst drawing PPV in WWE history (pre-Network), and ratings nosedived. 

On 3/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

So in other words, because the WLAF/NFL Europe had no competitors, loaning players to those clubs was ok?

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Well, this game is over.

Perez hasn't thrown a TD pass in his four games, now 17 quarters.

Keith Price (the replacement) just did. He took 2 quarters to succeed at something the starter couldn't accomplish for 17 quarters. 

21 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Keith Price (the replacement) just did. He took 2 quarters to succeed at something the starter couldn't accomplish for 17 quarters. 

I'll take your word for it since I moved on to Arnie's Tournament after it went 14-0.

How/when did Keith Price move from San Diego to Birmingham?

I just tuned back in and why haven't all teams commit a False Start on their 2-PT on purpose to get more room to pass?

1 hour ago, NYC Cosmos said:

So in other words, because the WLAF/NFL Europe had no competitors, loaning players to those clubs was ok?

No. Those were NFL-owned properties and not subject to the same issue.

It's where I sit.

Archived