Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

8 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

San Jose, Stanford Stadium, Levi Stadium, Berkley (even though some people says it's not an option, I see otherwise), there are plenty of stadiums they can use. There are options and a team in the Bay Area really makes sense if they want a new team in the west, with good weather, and a population that could sustain them.

Here's where your blinders are showing. There is a law that limits the number of events that can be held at Cal over a three year period that wouldn't allow a full season of home games to be played there.

What do you see otherwise?

It's where I sit.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I don't see the AAF having teams play in MLS stadiums.  It might help attendance, but not all MLS stadiums can host football.  Atlanta, Cincy, DC, New England, NYFC, Toronto, FC Dallas, Houston, LA Galaxy, Seattle and Vancouver all host football games and I doubt that the AAF Is going to any one of those cities, and they are already in Atlanta. 

And that number is going to dwindle in a few years as Cincy moves into a Soccer only stadium and NYCFC is still looking for one.

55 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

San Jose, Stanford Stadium, Levi Stadium, Berkley (even though some people says it's not an option, I see otherwise), there are plenty of stadiums they can use. There are options and a team in the Bay Area really makes sense if they want a new team in the west, with good weather, and a population that could sustain them.

You realize that the professional sports tax which the city of Berkeley placed on the Raiders preseason games in the 1970's is STILL ON THE BOOKS, right? You lose 10% of your gross revenue off the top, then you have to house players in one of the most competitive rental markets in the USA.

Then there's that little issue of where are folks going to park?  You really cannot offer an all-inclusive package of playing at Cal. 

As for weather, February and March are the second and third wettest months in terms of rainfall, too

46 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Here's where your blinders are showing. There is a law that limits the number of events that can be held at Cal over a three year period that wouldn't allow a full season of home games to be played there.

Yea, there's that legally binding agreement the University has with the neighborhood association too which still has eight more years on it, 

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

I would think that the AAF would go smaller than Levi's Stadium which holds 68,500.  I have read that Berkley isn't an option.

Certainly they would want to go smaller, I'm just saying that there are a number of options they could pursue. Many places, you don't have many options. Like Louisville only has one possible place that an AAF team could place. If they can't play at that particular venue, then there is nothing to be done. But with the Bay, there are plenty of options to where a team there isn't so farfetched. Plus, from first had experience, helping with travel in the Western and Eastern conferences would help. Having another team in California would do that just fine. 

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Oh yeah the "Pissy-rich-white-folks" law. If there is a limit of the number of events that can be held, then somethings got to go for the AAF to come in. Eliminate 5 events from the calendar (6 in preparation for playoffs) and the AAF could play there. If the AAF and the University really wanted to do it, they could make it work. It's not impossible. 

They could, but would the university care enough to? I don't know what other events are held at the stadium, but are they things Cal would want to or be able to eliminate in favour of a hypothetical AAF team?

There's also the 10% Berkeley tax thing brought up.

EDIT: Just looking up the law,

Subject to further review under the California Environmental Quality Act, a cap on “capacity” events — programs attended by more than 10,000 spectators, exclusive of Cal Bears games and graduation events — of nine such events in any three-year period, with no more than four occurring in any one-year time frame, of which no more than two may exceed 30,000 spectators, through 2025.

So I don't even know if removing six events means the AAF could move in unless they cap attendance at 9,999 because there can only be nine "capacity events" in a three year period with no more than four in a year.

IEI5Tg1.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

They could, but would the university care enough to? I don't know what other events are held at the stadium, but are they things Cal would want to or be able to eliminate in favour of a hypothetical AAF team?

There's also the 10% Berkeley tax thing brought up.

EDIT: Just looking up the law,

So I don't even know if removing six events means the AAF could move in unless they cap attendance at 9,999 because there can only be nine "capacity events" in a three year period with no more than four in a year.

Cal Bears football nor graduation services as events per the agreement. Unlike the 10% tax, this is a contract, not an ordinance or law. 

However, while signed and approved by the judge in 2010, the 15-year agreement did not start until the Memorial Stadium was reopened in 2012, so it runs through 2027-28 academic year. 

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Nope - that would be antitrust. Unless saying that you 'prefer' AAF over XFL doesn't disallow a player from signing with the XFL, it's antitrust. Even if you say that, and you say it can be done, but no one does it, it would be antitrust.

I guess the only way to get around this is for the NFL to buy a controlling interest in the AAF. 

56 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

I guess the only way to get around this is for the NFL to buy a controlling interest in the AAF. 

Which is undoubtedly what the AAF is trying for.

Remember, they said they wanted to be more tech-startup than football league.  Well, what could be more “tech-startup” than getting a little bit of notarity for your new company and then selling it to the market leader?

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

You realize that the professional sports tax which the city of Berkeley placed on the Raiders preseason games in the 1970's is STILL ON THE BOOKS, right? You lose 10% of your gross revenue off the top, then you have to house players in one of the most competitive rental markets in the USA.

Yeah, what a dummy. Who doesn't know about the weird and seemingly random laws of every city in the US? What a bunch of morons.

And a few weeks ago, that ignorance would be expected.  

But we’ve since discussed that law in some depth on these threads, so it’s not unreasonable to expect an employee of the league, who has actively participated in those conversations, to remember it. 

16 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Oh yeah the "Pissy-rich-white-folks" law. If there is a limit of the number of events that can be held, then somethings got to go for the AAF to come in. Eliminate 5 events from the calendar (6 in preparation for playoffs) and the AAF could play there. If the AAF and the University really wanted to do it, they could make it work. It's not impossible. 

So toss out five events people actually attend for 5 AAF games no one goes to... yeah that’s gonna happen.

17 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Yeah, that's not happening. I get that you're enthusiastic about your job but no city is going to cut a deal for a start-up league.

Also...as much as I’m enjoying the AAF thus far? Expansion should be three years away. Relocation is fine, but expansion at this stage would be a mistake. 

They need to let things settle and stabilize before expanding.

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Also...as much as I’m enjoying the AAF thus far? Expansion should be three years away. Relocation is fine, but expansion at this stage would be a mistake. 

It would actually seem refreshing to see an upstart league actually stand pat for a few years and not make the same mistakes of their predecessors. Wasn't the original XFL also talking expansion before it folded? I seem to remember Pittsburgh being discussed. 

23 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yeah. Maybe move Salt Lake/Arizona to Oakland or Sacramento next year. I'd also try to doing promotions more considering that is putting more butts in chairs than not. They know they're minor league so why not embrace everything that goes with that?

Except for nights where you change the team's name to something wacky or a local delicacy. Those are godawful blatant cash grabs and everyone knows it. Promotions are that at the end of the day anyway but that is just taking things too far.

I know it's not exactly fair to compare the economics of football to soccer, but I love it how clubs in the USL are able to build excitement around their clubs in smaller, non-pro sports markets like Albuquerque, Madison, Hartford, Bethlehem (Pa.), etc. I'd love it if one of these upstart football leagues could find a similar formula that favored building support in a local market over national TV exposure. 

Curious what the half hour blocks would be. Neither of those two games were interesting through the whole game. Orlando's win was one sided. And San Antonio had a huge lead for the first part of the game that's going to kill most neutral interest. 

Archived