Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

39 minutes ago, tp49 said:

FTFY.

With his purchase of a majority interest in the Republic, Burkle also is the owner of The Railyards stadium site.  The stadium is to be built with private funding the city only providing infrastructure improvements in the area.  If it comes to whether an AAF team would play in The Railyards that decision would be Burkle's, not the city's.

I did not know that.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about this... Let's say Sacramento Republic joins MLS in the near future, and builds a new stadium in the process. Would SR's current venue (Bonney Field?) be a suitable home for a Sacramento AAF team? Having only seen it in photos and videos, it seems like a nice little stadium. Is what's good for USL good enough for AAF?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

7 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

How about this... Let's say Sacramento Republic joins MLS in the near future, and builds a new stadium in the process. Would SR's current venue (Bonney Field?) be a suitable home for a Sacramento AAF team? Having only seen it in photos and videos, it seems like a nice little stadium. Is what's good for USL good enough for AAF?

I think it depends on what the plans are for the stadium if a new stadium is built. 

5 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I would say no.  Papa Murphy's Park is more along the lines of a temporary structure.  I'd doubt the locker room facilities would be adequate for a football team with all of the equipment they have.  What it has going for it football wise would be more than adequate parking for tailgating purposes.  If given the choice of Papa Murphy's Park, Hornet Stadium or Hughes Stadium at Sac City College, Hornet Stadium would be the best bet.

Remember too that The Railyards stadium is still at least two years away from when an announcement would be made on admission into MLS.  The stadium won't go up without joining MLS first.

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I think it depends on what the plans are for the stadium if a new stadium is built. 

There's something I really like about SR's stadium. I hope it sticks around if an MLS move happens. But of course it would need to be a regular tenant to justify keeping it open

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The problem with the MLS is that the Republic's ownership group has changed and restructured which is a black mark. Now, pardon the pun, I think they are on track. If the league continues to attract eyeballs and can survive to next year, and if the stars are aligned, I would think Burkle would want to look at a franchise. I think that is the only city left in California for a franchise. I don't think San Jose would work. That is 49ers' country.

If Sacramento is a go, I think they have o go to Portland as well. I don't see a natural rivalry with San Diego. San Diego is closer to Arizona. 

If you want to play the franchise game, let's take a look at cities that are proposing soccer-specific projects. Of course, it depends on the deals made with their respective cities to build. Was the land given by the city? Is the city going to kick in money? etc.

Charlotte – no go because of Panthers. Va. Beach and Raleigh-Durham are more likely

Miami – not a chance

Austin – Is Anthony Precourt paying for the stadium? If so... a team makes sense because of recouping his investment. However, you have Dallas in the XFL

Cincinnati – Not a chance

Detroit – Not a chance

San Antonio – spoken for with the Alamo Dome

Sacramento - discussed above

3 hours ago, NYC Cosmos said:

The problem with the MLS is that the Republic's ownership group has changed and restructured which is a black mark. Now, pardon the pun, I think they are on track. If the league continues to attract eyeballs and can survive to next year, and if the stars are aligned, I would think Burkle would want to look at a franchise. I think that is the only city left in California for a franchise. I don't think San Jose would work. That is 49ers' country.

If Sacramento is a go, I think they have o go to Portland as well. I don't see a natural rivalry with San Diego. San Diego is closer to Arizona. 

Republic's ownership group restructured because that's what MLS demanded so I fail to see how that's a "black mark" on them.  Second, given the AAF business model where the league owns the team, which makes a lot of sense for a startup league, why would Burkle want to look into a franchise?  Wouldn't make sense for him.  Guys like Burkle want control and I don't see a scenario where he can invest and get the kind of control he'd want.

However, if Sacramento happened there would be more interest in an intrastate rival in San Diego over an artificially created one with Portland.  Fans here don't view Portland as a rival even when it comes to Kings/Blazers and San Diego is closer than Portland.

7 hours ago, NYC Cosmos said:

If you want to play the franchise game, let's take a look at cities that are proposing soccer-specific projects. Of course, it depends on the deals made with their respective cities to build. Was the land given by the city? Is the city going to kick in money? etc.

Charlotte – no go because of Panthers. Va. Beach and Raleigh-Durham are more likely

Miami – not a chance

Austin – Is Anthony Precourt paying for the stadium? If so... a team makes sense because of recouping his investment. However, you have Dallas in the XFL

Cincinnati – Not a chance

Detroit – Not a chance

San Antonio – spoken for with the Alamo Dome

Sacramento - discussed above

Well, Dundon is not playing the franchise game, so time to end that mess.

As for Portland, why is this constantly brought up like every d@mn week?  Unless they choose to try to play in Hillsboro, are weekend dates available as both the Timbers and Thorns would outdraw them?  Would they just play four of the five (or more) home games all in February? Peregrine was tired of taking nine hours to paint football lines for Portland State, and since they can keep all the concession revenues, any AAF or minor league football team will struggle for revenue.  Since the AAF is a private business, not part of the public trust like Portland State, assume they'll be treated more like competition.

1 hour ago, Wings said:

I hate to repeat myself but for those interested: Minor League Professional Football will fail in Portland. 

Exactly.

Only 8,150 in attendance today. From first glance it looked easily the biggest crowd of the year. I’m getting my info from Wikipedia honestly.  I was at the game today. It looked anywhere from 12-15K. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

31 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Only 8,150 in attendance today. From first glance it looked easily the biggest crowd of the year. I’m getting my info from Wikipedia honestly.  I was at the game today. It looked anywhere from 12-15K. 

Every team had a "Buy 2...Get 2" promo this weekend as single seats start at $10.  Thus, they want $5/seat in Week 6.

Birmingham @ San Diego: Buy 2 Get 2

https://fleet.spinzo.com/san-diego-fleet-vs-birmingham-iron-2019-03-17-CGGPR?group=go-for-2-yrpc

Memphis @ Salt Lake: Two seats for $25 flash sale on Thursday

https://twitter.com/aafstallions/status/1105984475542904832

$15 single seat sale on Friday, but axs.com like was dead

Miss Rodeo Utah, who rides a horse to lead the team out, has a $10 offer via her Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu_2R7PFQnC/

San Antonio @ Atlanta: Buy 2...Get 2  Seats start at $10

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0E005573E8E82849?did=buy2

Arizona @ Orlando: Buy 2... Get 2, also starting at $10

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/220055736FBC8943?did=4pack#efeat6916

14 minutes ago, BengalsJunkie said:

the league got their mid-season publicity boost.

It will be interesting to see what he brings, if anything.

He wasn't all the spectacular up here in the CFL and that's even before the whole fact he was banned for contravening his agreement with the CFL.

IEI5Tg1.png

26 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

It will be interesting to see what he brings, if anything.

He wasn't all the spectacular up here in the CFL and that's even before the whole fact he was banned for contravening his agreement with the CFL.

Pretty certain he wanted to play in the states  With the AAF being looked at as a stepping stone. Or the XFL on the horizon. He wasn’t going to toil up there in Canada for long. 

Also. American players have had a long history of failure up in Canada. Not sure why as it’s a step or 2 down from the NFL. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Archived