Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Pretty certain he wanted to play in the states  With the AAF being looked at as a stepping stone. Or the XFL on the horizon. He wasn’t going to toil up there in Canada for long. 

Also. American players have had a long history of failure up in Canada. Not sure why as it’s a step or 2 down from the NFL. 

He can't even play in the XFL anyways if Vince sticks to his guns.

And no, American players don't have a long history of failure in the CFL. Some of the greatest players in CFL history are Americans and a majority of the current players are American. You do know that right? Not all the players are Canadian.

IbjBaeE.png

From what I’ve seen and understand, San Antonio has his territorial rights, but passed, sending him into the waiver process. Memphis being 1-5, they have the first claim on him and are most likely to sign him. It’s not a true free-agency

Just now, monkeypower said:

And no, American players don't have a long history of failure in the CFL. Some of the greatest players in CFL history are Americans and a majority of the current players are American. You do know that right? Not all the players are Canadian.

The ones that go up there and flame out spectacularly, Michael Sam is the other big nane that did this, they usually have personal issues that needed to be taken care of that overshadowed what they were doing on the field.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The ones that go up there and flame out spectacularly, Michael Sam is the other big nane that did this, they usually have personal issues that needed to be taken care of that overshadowed what they were doing on the field.

I guess that is true with those guys like Manziel, Sam, Ricky Williams, though I can't think of any others.

But I do think there is a much larger distinction to be made rather than just saying "American players have a long history of failure up in Canada".

IbjBaeE.png

24 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

What I meant to say was ex NFL stars or well known names coming to Canada and not quite getting the hang of the game up there. Is it really that much different?  Football is football. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

17 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I guess that is true with those guys like Manziel, Sam, Ricky Williams, though I can't think of any others.

But I do think there is a much larger distinction to be made rather than just saying "American players have a long history of failure up in Canada".

I could make a very long list of guys who tanked it in Canada. It would take research for sure.

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

24 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

He must have been so desperate to play football in America again that he didn't wait and see if Miami was interested, which was likely a no.

There was 100% no way Miami would have been interested at this point.  They would have watched what he did last season in Canada.

Disappointing because Manziel's scrambling style was actually quite suited to be successful in the Canadian game with the wider field.  However, he just wasn't that good.  Was a back-up with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats then got traded to Montreal  where he had an opportunity to start.  Was not all his fault as the team was bad, but some was his fault as he looked bad in some games.  I remember one game where he was just tossing up interceptions that were on him.  He got injured and also young rookie quarterback Antonio Pipkin started to look like a better option for the Alouettes by the end of the season.

Not to mention he was released due to violating a condition of the agreement that made him eligible to play in the league.  I'm sure that would be a problem in the NFL if he were even close to good enough to be considered to be playing there at this point.  Guess that does not seem to matter to the AAF.

I was wondering why the flying :censored: CBS would schedule a game for 10:00 AM local time in San Antonio with the Memphis Express coming in on Final Four weekend. (Seriously check the AAF website for the starting time). And now Manziel signs with the Express. Makes sense now and it wouldn't shock me if Manziel was going to be signed whether Mettenberger was knocked out or not (Commanders had waived their right to sign him).

Now? Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Only one team passed on Manziel? Haven't familiarized myself with the AAF waiver/free agent signing procedures, but I thought you had to go through two layers before you're open to being signed by any team. I thought it was based on college team first, then last pro team. I'm aware the Commanders passed on him, but shouldn't the AAF team linked to Montreal have had next dibs to sign Johnny? Unless Memphis is the team linked to Montreal.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived