Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

32 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Which team do you think would be the first to move or fold?

Salt Lake.

Arizona, Memphis, Birmingham, and Atlanta have had attendance problems, but I think Salt Lake might be the worst of the lot? I may be completely wrong but it seems like, issues aside, there is something of a foundation to build on in Arizona, Memphis, Birmingham, and Atlanta. That if the league survives and gains traction? You could build something there. In Salt Lake? No one seems to care.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Realistically, The Stallions could relocate to the Carolinas and keep their identity intact. I hope SLC gets one more crack at it. I know it's a poor excuse however its been a long brutal Winter here, we go through this type of winter every 5 years or so. We are usually in the high 30's-  low 40's(more rainy than snow) by February the heavy snow months are in late November December and January. Try to move their games to Rio Tinto and it's pretty much guaranteed they could put at least 15,000 p/game in a 22,000 venue. We have a good team too, cut out the lousy mistakes and we are 5-2 at worst 4-3. 

Atlanta. Dead in the water, too many sports teams there. Drawing lousy in a 25,000 and i'm very sorry but i dont believe any of their attendance figures for their home games. A truer 10,000 would make GSA Stadium look fuller....Move them to Louisville,kill the Legends monicker. Rename them Louisville Kings

You live in the area, so do you think Real Salt Lake would want football played at Rio Tinto?

A friend of mine speculates that Manziel in Memphis is a last ditch attempt for Singletary to prove he's actually a good coach.  Speaking of which, hasn't been 35 years since Singletary did the Super Bow Shuffle?

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Does the USL team or any other minor league teams in San Antonio get supported as well as the Commanders have been?

For USL they can ebb and flow from 3000 to 8500 depending mostly on the opponent. If it's $1 night it's usually against team's they know won't bring in fans. If an MLS team or Liga MX squad is in town it may sell out. 

53 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

The aaf hires out a crew to broadcast the games. Would make sense to use the bare minimum. The afternoon game was scheduled for B/R and my guess no changes to the broadcast were made once it was put on TNT.

They also seem to heavily favor the sky cam. And for some it appears they're using two. One lower than the other. And using one of the fixed cameras or a possible second sky cam as the dedicated sideline angle rather than using a camera rig on the sideline that moves up and down the field. It's better for fans attending, but not as good for fans on TV. 

As far as I'm aware, the main rule is no more than 5 can rush. I wasn't aware of a rule on starting position for those 5. As for the rule, it's clear that at least a few times the officials have missed it. 

Phoenix and Atlanta were head scratchers. At least the stadium in Atlanta made sense a bit. Playing at GT might have been wiser. True football stadium, and a better location. Getting to GS Stadium wasn't easy when it was Turner Field for baseball. I can't imagine mass transit working better as a small event takes place. At least for a small crowd parking might be better. 

Arizona should have been in Tucson. If TV was so important. I don't think being in Phoenix would matter much to a fan watching in TV in Arizona or elsewhere. But might draw more fans in person when Tucson finally has their own pro football team. 

As for San Antonio, they didn't have the upper bowl open and am a bit surprised if the lower bowl is big enough to hold 30k. I was there once years ago at the Alamodome. At least it has great sidelines. No curved seating areas. 

The lower bowl at Alamodome can hold 35,000. That's a high average for UTSA games. Phoenix seems to have been picked because they thought they could get bleedover from spring training and older folks who winter down there. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Salt Lake has been the hard luck team so far with at least 3 games they could of won and as the other poster mentioned a rough winter so they're first on the list for relocation. Followed by Atlanta. Tonight's Fleet/Hotshots game is an important game not only in the standings but attendance wise as well.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

But spite can only carry you so far. 

True, they also have to win.  However, San Diego had supported the NFL for 55 years going through the ups and downs with their NFL team so they have the right to be spiteful 

4 hours ago, Pauly said:

Salt Lake has been the hard luck team so far with at least 3 games they could of won and as the other poster mentioned a rough winter so they're first on the list for relocation. Followed by Atlanta. Tonight's Fleet/Hotshots game is an important game not only in the standings but attendance wise as well.

They’ll be lucky if 10,000 show up. I have a feeling the Rattlers outdraw the Hotshots. Lol 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

11 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

They’ll be lucky if 10,000 show up. I have a feeling the Rattlers outdraw the Hotshots. Lol 

Rattlers have been aroind for decades. Even leaving the AFL didn't drop attendance much at all. The Hotshots need a huge marketing campaign to drum up interest and just never did it. Tucson would've been better for an Arizona branded team instead of being the 6th or 7th biggest team in Phoenix. 

28 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I would assume that despite being as bad as they are, the Cardinals draw more in one game that the Hotshots have in their 2 home games so far.

Sometimes just having the NFL name behind you is enough to bring people in. That's what helped when they originally moved into Sun Devil stadium because they were still not a good team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Seems like he's already getting annoyed with his teammates. Frustrated at a receiver he overthrew and a kicker that missed the FG. 

He needs to light a fire under their asses. This Memphis team is a sorry bunch 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Archived