Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2018 at 5:58 PM, Gothamite said:

Agreed, as far as the league goes.  But @CrimsonBull9584 specifically mentioned the lack of mentions in "the Atlanta Journal-Consitutions's reporting".  That's an issue.

Oh, gotcha.  I misread his post.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have to say that the AAF is beginning to confuse me.  Maybe it is that CBS is insisting on major cities, or maybe they really believe that having NBA, NHL and MLB competition in the Spring is not a big deal.  For me it seems obvious you want to try to be the only pro team in town to get media attention, or at least one of 2 pro teams, not the 5th or 6th option.  

Orlando-- Makes sense.  Only the NBA and MLS to compete with for attention & ticket sales.  Warm weather location good for Feb-April season.  Good mid-sized stadium.

Atlanta-- Makes less sense.  Stadium is good size, weather is good, but you are now competing against the Hawks, Braves and Atlanta United for dollars, fans and media time. 

Phoenix-- If today's internet posting is correct. Makes no sense.  Weather still good, stadium way too big and now you are competing against the D-backs, Coyotes and Suns, plus spring training baseball.  Tucson makes so much more sense.  You still get the Arizona weather, but so much less competition for media and fan attention. 

What is next NYC?  Chicago?  (Neither should be considered.)

32 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Phoenix-- If today's internet posting is correct. Makes no sense.  Weather still good, stadium way too big and now you are competing against the D-backs, Coyotes and Suns, plus spring training baseball.  Tucson makes so much more sense.  You still get the Arizona weather, but so much less competition for media and fan attention. 

Phoenix?  Where have you seen Phoenix?  Not that I have any information, but if yours is accurate, that's a simply asinine move.  Spring football was a good idea for Phoenix 35 years ago.  That's not the case today.

nav-logo.png

15 hours ago, WideRight said:

I have to say that the AAF is beginning to confuse me.  Maybe it is that CBS is insisting on major cities, or maybe they really believe that having NBA, NHL and MLB competition in the Spring is not a big deal.  For me it seems obvious you want to try to be the only pro team in town to get media attention, or at least one of 2 pro teams, not the 5th or 6th option.  

Orlando-- Makes sense.  Only the NBA and MLS to compete with for attention & ticket sales.  Warm weather location good for Feb-April season.  Good mid-sized stadium.

Atlanta-- Makes less sense.  Stadium is good size, weather is good, but you are now competing against the Hawks, Braves and Atlanta United for dollars, fans and media time. 

Remember the biggest reason the AAF and XFL2 are starting up and playing in the spring is to profit up the upcoming legalization of sports betting(pending the Supreme Court decision), everyone needs to stop thinking about these leagues in a traditional sense.

Also the state of Georgia has big tax credits for Film and TV shot in the state so the AAF could be taking advantage of that with a team in Atlanta, don't be shocked if their production facilities end up being there.

On 5/1/2018 at 2:44 PM, Mac the Knife said:

Phoenix?  Where have you seen Phoenix?  Not that I have any information, but if yours is accurate, that's a simply asinine move.  Spring football was a good idea for Phoenix 35 years ago.  That's not the case today.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2018/05/01/asu-alliance-american-football-sun-devil-stadium/560633002/

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, WideRight said:

I don't think the AAF cares that AAF Phoenix will be competing against Spring Training baseball. 

2 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Unless those renovations to Sun Devil Stadium include putting a retractable roof and air conditioning on her?  AAF is probably making another mistake.

February through April isn't the worst out there but sitting on metal bleacher seats in late April or May still isn't the best. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Perhaps, but again, this isn't 35 years ago.  Back then, there was no NFL team in town playing in a relatively new, domed stadium, and the Arizona Wranglers still drew more flies than fans to Sun Devil Stadium, either with their 1983 team (which sucked) or the 1984 championship-caliber squad they imported en masse from the Chicago Blitz.

nav-logo.png

3 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

City number three is... Memphis.

Discuss...

Dreadful decision. The city won't care

The hiring of Penny Hardaway as Memphis Tigers basketball HC will return the original city's #1 team to season ticket levels (and coverage) back to the Calipari days. Memphis sports radio barely talks Grizzlies, but Tigers and recruiting would-be Tigers. The Commercial Appeal columnist if Jeff Caulkins and he is already on record for not caring about the return of the XFL.

Come January, their gonna be interested in Penny's boys and winning the AAC, not this mess. Also, with the hire, Memphis increased season ticket prices by $0.01, a penny, get it?

Granted, the AAC schedule won't be out until the summer, but Ebersol must not schedule a game during a Tigers home game at FedEx Forum and hope CBSSN carries them over a Memphis road game, otherwise folks will stay home.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/geoff-calkins/2018/05/02/penny-hardaway-hire-sends-memphis-ticket-donations-soaring/574047002/

IIRC, the city of Memphis has Univ. of Memphis pay $39K per game in base rent and $50K in fairgrounds rent for parking. There also was a $15K fee for the replay board in the former lease. Use that as a starting point.

BTW, I think the Memphis "pro football" lease with Dunavant, later FedEx's Fred Smith that apparently expires in 2020-21 which also still impairs revenue generation and suite revenue.

Comcast's Spectra is the concessionaire.

I guess they may try Omaha next and compete with Creighton now as well.

2 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

City number three is... Memphis.

Discuss...

it can't be a spring football league without Memphis......which means yet another pro football team in Memphis will fail.

Memphis won't care, but the reason won't be basketball.

The reason will be that for half a century now, Memphis has been a market that almost all these leagues (WFL, USFL, XFL, now AAF) have put teams in that ultimately failed.  It's not a bad football market, but presuming they're playing at the Liberty Bowl, they're playing in a truly antiquated facility.  The USFL hesitated about admitting the Showboats in 1984 because of the Liberty Bowl - and to my knowledge, it hasn't had a significant upgrade since then.

If I'm going with a city in Tennessee, I'd give Knoxville a shot, if only because no one else has to date and they might surprise you.  Same with Austin in Texas, Tucson in Arizona or Albuquerque.  I won't knock Memphis as a market by any means, but the past stadium situation there would concern me deeply.

nav-logo.png

29 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Memphis won't care, but the reason won't be basketball.

The reason will be that for half a century now, Memphis has been a market that almost all these leagues (WFL, USFL, XFL, now AAF) have put teams in that ultimately failed.  It's not a bad football market, but presuming they're playing at the Liberty Bowl, they're playing in a truly antiquated facility.  The USFL hesitated about admitting the Showboats in 1984 because of the Liberty Bowl - and to my knowledge, it hasn't had a significant upgrade since then.

If I'm going with a city in Tennessee, I'd give Knoxville a shot, if only because no one else has to date and they might surprise you.  Same with Austin in Texas, Tucson in Arizona or Albuquerque.  I won't knock Memphis as a market by any means, but the past stadium situation there would concern me deeply.

FOH.

Basketball and money going to Penny is totally why folks will not give a $hit about any football game in Liberty Bowl in February.

Listen to the people.. you tell us about your sports and sports radio background yet you seem not to listen to those who live there.

I base what I say on the past.  What you say may be true as well.  They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.  Both will be factors.  I'm just not sure to what extent discretionary income primarily committed to in fall months (e.g., season tickets for basketball) will have on a spring season football league, unless that team is playoff bound and fans are buying single game tickets in large numbers as the playoffs approach (plausible, certainly).

If you say Memphis is basketball-mad and that's the reason?  Okay.  I won't argue that.  But unless they died off in the past 20 years, there's a sufficient football fan base there to support an NFL team, let alone AAF, and without basketball being a significant impact factor.  That was true during the days of the WFL Grizzlies, and I suspect it's still true today.

nav-logo.png

If they're looking for small stadiums in major markets and weather / unplayable conditions aren't a factor, if Temple builds it's near-campus stadium that the neighborhood is trying to squash (but will probably lose), it'd likely be near-perfect for what they're looking for, maybe just a little big.  

Also, Franklin Field in Phila might be even better, since that area of the city is already overflowing with students and young professionals, and is blowing up 10-fold due to new developments that are essentially creating a whole second skyline in Phila.  Hell - the Sixers have hinted at building their own arena near there.

Either way, it's dumb to even consider north east / mid atlantic for a spring league, but if they're bent on failure, Phila isn't bad place to fail.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived